• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Inchcape fire 120 sinkies, replace them with London expats, MOM silent on this

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
http://www.straitstimes.com/busines...cape-sending-expats-to-downsized-spore-office

Motor distribution giant Inchcape, which axed about 120 employees here this month, is moving senior managers from its London head office to fill regional roles here.

The Straits Times understands that two will arrive in the coming weeks to oversee the Asian markets. More may follow.

At the same time, a senior executive from its Singapore operations has quit on the back of the changes.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Excellent. Expats make good tenants for my properties. Here's to a prosperous Year of the Rooster! :smile:

EnBloc

Alfrescian
Loyal
e2i, union membership rebates, NTUC vouchers, Skillsfuture - so many good things lined up for those fired

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I use to work for an american MNC & they had trouble competing for local contracts because they had higher overheads. All those involved in putting together the proposals were americans. They couldn't compete with companies that were using cheaper 3rd world labor.

Expats expect more $$$$. So how does Inchcape expect to compete in this region where they use cheaper labor :confused:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I use to work for an american MNC & they had trouble competing for local contracts because they had higher overheads. All those involved in putting together the proposals were americans. They couldn't compete with companies that were using cheaper 3rd world labor.

Expats expect more $$$$. So how does Inchcape expect to compete in this region where they use cheaper labor :confused:

Inchcape will be doing better because they fired the inferior cheap asiatic labour and replaced them with superior AMDK, good white labour.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Inchcape will be doing better because they fired the inferior cheap asiatic labour and replaced them with superior AMDK, good white labour.

Not sure that letting go 120 local staff so that they can bring in some expats is a good idea. Something has to give & I think it is going to be customers who will suffer.
I doubt that a few expats can do the job of 120 people, no matter how good they are.

The asians working at Inchcape will see what is going on & I think morale in the asian office will take a hit & those who can will start looking for new jobs.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You so naive. Most MNCs do not need to be in Singapore or any other country overseas. They are parking > 1000% gross profits in some cases here with overseas operations. Employees here are tax money placeholders as are the perks offered. Pay needs to be secret because when they send their AM over, they will make more than the locals and even management for non-management executives. Locals here may be made to do a lot but the AMs do not as they are here as there is no way to hire them back home. Their fancy and elaborate project ideas are totally unworkable here as they either require lots of expensive equipment and expertise which was the first reason the MNCs did not want to do in their own countries in the first place - tie money down for nothing. When gross profits in % and absolute are doing bad, cut the number of placeholders. If it still does not work out, move to a poorer country to park whatever at the right numbers as the business will some how improve, as is believed. That is why the India and China operations shift is happening. India is a bad choice because they never get it right. But since they were never hired for much more than tax money sponging, their poor efficiency and horrendous operations design work is tolerated. China can do a much better job than India but, then too good is no good either as they will copy and adapt on the MNC operations, which we are witnessing now. Oh yes, the Japanese in foreign MNCs? Glorified useless units that are overpaid and used as actors in creating an impression that MNCs need global international talent to do well. The Jap units take up the most resources, waste the most time and deliver the least and get paid sometimes the most for claimed native linguistic skills which are of poor quality. They are typically the angst and disgust in overseas offices, but the MNCs know they serve 2 roles - high value tax money placeholders and create friction, envy and competition to keep everyone blind to the fact everyone except AM are expendable. You are witnessing it happening now.

That is why it is important to have own local companies as the foreign ones will spit you out overnight. There is no reason they need to be here besides taxes. The safety, logistics and transport conveniences are just factors on where to park the monies and justify to their tax agencies back home. But ultimately, when things go South, there is implicit understanding on what needs to be done.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You so naive. Most MNCs do not need to be in Singapore or any other country overseas. They are parking > 1000% gross profits in some cases here with overseas operations. Employees here are tax money placeholders as are the perks offered. Pay needs to be secret because when they send their AM over, they will make more than the locals and even management for non-management executives. Locals here may be made to do a lot but the AMs do not as they are here as there is no way to hire them back home. ...

Have to disagree with you. The reason many MNC companies are in ASEAN, China, ... is for the cheap labor, infrastructure, lower taxes, .... compared to Europe or the US. Well at least in the companies I have worked in. One of the MNCs I was with closed their operations in Spore & moved to China because it was cheaper to do so.

The PAP probably offered financial incentives to the company to set up shop in Spore, but it's hard to beat what China can provide e.g. cheap land, cheap labor, low taxes, OEM suppliers located nearby, ...

Inchcape might get away with it in Spore because consumer's expectations in Spore are very low since consumer rights in Spore is not strong but over time consumers may avoid doing businesses with them if they can't provide a decent level of servicing for the cars they distribute

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Have to disagree with you. The reason many MNC companies are in ASEAN, China, ... is for the cheap labor, infrastructure, lower taxes, .... compared to Europe or the US. Well at least in the companies I have worked in. One of the MNCs I was with closed their operations in Spore & moved to China because it was cheaper to do so.

The PAP probably offered financial incentives to the company to set up shop in Spore, but it's hard to beat what China can provide e.g. cheap land, cheap labor, low taxes, OEM suppliers located nearby, ...

Inchcape might get away with it in Spore because consumer's expectations in Spore are very low since consumer rights in Spore is not strong but over time consumers may avoid doing businesses with them if they can't provide a decent level of servicing for the cars they distribute

If you look at what I said, we are on the same page. Rather than pay taxes in their own countries, park it as operations overseas. Operations I have seen and were involved in can be automated at a fraction of the price. After automation, 60-70% of manpower could be cut. The automation and time savings can be paid back and it will pay back in a few years if not in the first. For Singapore, it is a resounding yes, where I was. And they could have remote from back home even years back. If it is so bloody obvious how that can be done to me all the way to execution, I am sure HQ ain't that dumb.
India continues to be a major disaster if operation performance is taken seriously as the main reason. Their coding is disgusting, not because they are stupid, but they do not have enough international exposure and thus give you things that create more issues than they solve. No one is that dumb, ultimately, but you need to have the cultural exposure to build things. After you know it, no big deal. Mgt here is overpaid and can only look at numbers that a high school student can give you the same answer. If you cannot generate your own reports you also do not know what to look for and what to troubleshoot in today's world. Only know how to ask why and do very fundamental things. Clearly can cut. Slick talk does not make money and hiding behind compliance and rules does not hide incompetence.

Places I know cut people but not the perks, move operations but do not cut the perks. The jobs in the US are also damned easy to do and can be easily made redundant. But then it is your own country. Not enough jobs affects tax revenues and people able to buy things.Bad for the country and the government will go after you. There is no point in having cheap stuff if your country people do not have a job to pay for them. Even in the States now, you have factories that can output thousands and thousands of units per day with 5 man crew, capable of operating almost continuously, except for some maintenance time. Even in construction,
you now can lay pavements with machines and are cheaper better and faster even in europe. Much of the human factor can be taken out at a lower price. But then it is bad to have people unemployed in your own country. For other countries that MNCs are in? Who cares?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you look at what I said, we are on the same page. Rather than pay taxes in their own countries, park it as operations overseas. Operations I have seen and were involved in can be automated at a fraction of the price. After automation, 60-70% of manpower could be cut. The automation and time savings can be paid back and it will pay back in a few years if not in the first. For Singapore, it is a resounding yes, where I was. And they could have remote from back home even years back. If it is so bloody obvious how that can be done to me all the way to execution, I am sure HQ ain't that dumb.......

I know someone working for a Jap company in Spore & the company is retrenching despite being profitable. They are moving operations back to Japan which is losing $. They are doing it to save the jobs of their own nationals in Japan.

This is a foreign concept in Spore where it's common to sacrifice "lesser mortals" first, unless of course you are an elite. I can understand Japanese protecting their own nationals. Just didn't expect the Brits to do so but then I haven't worked in any british companies.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know someone working for a Jap company in Spore & the company is retrenching despite being profitable. They are moving operations back to Japan which is losing $. They are doing it to save the jobs of their own nationals in Japan.

This is a foreign concept in Spore where it's common to sacrifice "lesser mortals" first, unless of course you are an elite. I can understand Japanese protecting their own nationals. Just didn't expect the Brits to do so but then I haven't worked in any british companies.

I also cannot imagine our state owned enterprises like Singpost and DBS are headed by foreigners. Where are the capable sinkies I wonder? Is there no scholar general or career civil servant capable of running a lemonade stand? What do you think? :confused:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Sinkies don't have a culture of saving sinkies first. We always save ourselves and the most deserving. Sharing the same nationality as a sinkie is not a good reason for saving. It's only a good reason for bonding together when overseas studying or on a holiday.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkies don't have a culture of saving sinkies first. We always save ourselves and the most deserving. Sharing the same nationality as a sinkie is not a good reason for saving. It's only a good reason for bonding together when overseas studying or on a holiday.

If a bucket of tiger beer is leaking and you add more water, is it still a bucket of tiger beer? :confused: What if the water is flavored? :confused:

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

There was once a British MNC, that set up here due to our proclaimedd advantages. Contrary to the prostitute times, it left not because it lost money, but it did not make enough money doing biz here. If you have one pot of potential taxes you would have to pay in your own country, you either hide it well overseas or you use that pot to make even more money, would you not? If your home company is bleeding now but the pot of potential tax overseas could save your company, and the so-called profitability was no more than a show, what would you do?

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
There was once a British MNC, that set up here due to our proclaimedd advantages. Contrary to the prostitute times, it left not because it lost money, but it did not make enough money doing biz here. If you have one pot of potential taxes you would have to pay in your own country, you either hide it well overseas or you use that pot to make even more money, would you not? If your home company is bleeding now but the pot of potential tax overseas could save your company, and the so-called profitability was no more than a show, what would you do?

What here profit there no profit, save and no save. It is just transfer pricing sir! :cool: