• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Mahathir-"We did not go to war with S'pore", lucky for MINDEF, unlucky for Sinkies

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Despite differences between Malaysia and Singapore in the 1980s Singapore and Malaysia did not go to war, declared Malaysia’s former Premier and erstwhile strongman, Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad.
Indeed what the skillful management of bilateral relations morphed into was a collegial spirit of camaraderie between both the seminal leaders, according to a report carried by Singapore’sStraits Times news daily.
"There were differences between Malaysia and Singapore during my time but we did not go to war. We were trying to find ways of solving those things in a peaceful manner”, the former Prime Minister exclaimed.

Relations between both nations were glaringly testy during the 1980s. On Singapore’s National Day celebrations in 1985, Kuala Lumpur launched Operation Pukul Habis (loosely translated to mean, to finish off). The frosty relations was such that they again began careening off when Israel’s former president Chaim Herzog visited the Republic 1986. That visit triggered widespread condemnation in Malaysia with some quarters even calling for the severing of water supplies to the Republic.
Relations did not fare any better in the 1990s following the ascension of Goh Chok Tong in Singapore with both sides constantly trading barbs over the moving of the Customs and Immigration Quarantine (CIQ) and other bilateral issues. In 1998, the former Malaysian premier lambasted Singapore’s Business Times when it commented on the leadership issues seizing Malaysia at that time.
Yet, despite the ‘bumpy’ rides of the 1980s, both Lee Kuan Yew and Tun Dr Mahathir managed bilateral relations for the mutual benefit of both nations, with the former premier even citing the aligning of time zones in East Malaysia as an example.
The sprightly former Malaysian leader who wields considerable influence in his country is known for his trademark and acerbic brand of sarcasm, once even calling his successor Tun Dato’ Sri Haji Abdullah Ahmad Badawi a ‘saint’, in an oblique barb to the inability of Malaysians’ to reprove of his weak leadership style and apparent attempts to mend fences with neighbours.
The former premier’s interview with the Straits Times was to assuage the concerns of Singaporeans over fears of the any possible disruption of the much anticipated inauguration of the High Speed Rail negotiated with considerable fanfare last year between Singapore premier, Lee Hsien Loong and his Malaysian counterpart, Dato Seri Najib Tun Razak.
The sitting Prime Minister has been politically weakened over the last few years, after allegations surfaced of impropriety over his handling of the 1MDB – an investment vehicle designed to chart and spearhead investments in his country.

retrenched

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Mahathir-"We did not go to war with S'pore", lucky for MINDEF, unlucky for Sinkie

msia will not attack sg mainly becos there is nothing here and sg has many arms. msia does not like sg anyway.

sg will not attack msia though it has awesome arms becos it is strong only on equipment, is only 700 sqm and cannot resupply. unless becos of water but as can be seen msia will ration its own pp and pump water to sg.

msia will however rattle sg from time to time becos there are many cracko politicians (not like sg yes men) and it knows sg is paranoid, and it is fun to rattle others.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Re: Mahathir-"We did not go to war with S'pore", lucky for MINDEF, unlucky for Sinkie

msia will not attack sg mainly becos there is nothing here and sg has many arms. msia does not like sg anyway.

sg will not attack msia though it has awesome arms becos it is strong only on equipment, is only 700 sqm and cannot resupply. unless becos of water but as can be seen msia will ration its own pp and pump water to sg.

msia will however rattle sg from time to time becos there are many cracko politicians (not like sg yes men) and it knows sg is paranoid, and it is fun to rattle others.

Are you on drugs?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

It does not work that way. When there is a political crisis within the Malaysian leadership, to deflect internal issues, the easiest thing is to take on a nationalist agenda - taking back Singapore. Argentina did that when th Junta was on its last legs and the economy was in the doghouse. You also cannot rule out an Ultra taking on the Malaysian leadership. Why did Iraq invade tiny Kuwait that triggered the first gulf war.

When the Malaysians and Indonesians wanted to do a large scale joint exercise near Pulada and near where we get our water, old man told the Malaysians very clearly that it will act immediately.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

It does not work that way. When there is a political crisis within the Malaysian leadership, to deflect internal issues, the easiest thing is to take on a nationalist agenda - taking back Singapore. Argentina did that when th Junta was on its last legs and the economy was in the doghouse. You also cannot rule out an Ultra taking on the Malaysian leadership. Why did Iraq invade tiny Kuwait that triggered the first gulf war.

When the Malaysians and Indonesians wanted to do a large scale joint exercise near Pulada and near where we get our water, old man told the Malaysians very clearly that it will act immediately.

ah yes the infamous joint airborne exercise during one NDP some 20 plus yrs ago. It was replied with an open mob

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

ah yes the infamous joint airborne exercise during one NDP some 20 plus yrs ago. It was replied with an open mob

what malaysia can do to singapore by simply closing all border crossings and cut off the water is 10 times what their army can do. the malaysians never have any intention to use force of arms on us.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

what malaysia can do to singapore by simply closing all border crossings and cut off the water is 10 times what their army can do. the malaysians never have any intention to use force of arms on us.

Without a boogyman (or men), SAF's right to existence and the huge expenditure that follows it would never be justified. Even still, the expensive toys and the much vaunted SAF's capabilities might be put to the test in the next decades or so when a seceding minded Sultan is put on a throne at Istana Bukit Serene.

retrenched

Alfrescian
Loyal

you bullshitters...go read bernard f w loo on rajaretnam school of international studies site...why?...like ns?...like to see huge military spending? like to brag about new shiny toys and million dollar salary for generals? really think you will make it out alive if you go in?

go read tim huxley...he knows sg only has scholar generals and will lose big time...

Last edited:

spotter542

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If my memory serves me well , it should be in '92.
I was issued a pager before book out.
My friend in another SIR unit and his comrades were waiting in company line with containers filled with live ammo parked in parade square.
My rank pay back then was less than $200 yet they expect me to spill blood :oIo:

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

My friend in another SIR unit and his comrades were waiting in company line with containers filled with live ammo parked in parade square.
My rank pay back then was less than $200 yet they expect me to spill blood :oIo:

im luckier than you were, i got paid $40 more to do the same thing that you did. Fuck NS

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Our Gold reserves was moved out of the country in convoys from Board of Commissioners of Currency vault at Robinson Road, their old premises in multiple convoys over a few days. Heavily protected with Gurkhas sitting on top of the gold bars covered with tarpaulin. KC Dat was used because they had to heavy lift capability in tight corners capability.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

The Guards were briefed and they were all hyped up.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Our Gold reserves was moved out of the country in convoys from Board of Commissioners of Currency vault at Robinson Road, their old premises in multiple convoys over a few days. Heavily protected with Gurkhas sitting on top of the gold bars covered with tarpaulin. KC Dat was used because they had to heavy lift capability in tight corners capability.

great thinking from the old man, except that transferring the gold from tongkangs waiting at Clifford pier to an impressed vessel and all the ministers would be quite the logistics feat (and bitch)

Victory2016

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes - everything was on high alert...... but for the lesser mortals, life went on without change.

Heard rumours that our signals people jammed the airwaves, disrupting Malaysian military comms, while the airforce was armed and ready to strike at a moments notice = but all wayang lah.......

Funny thing is that the Malayan railways were still running across MINDEF at Gombak and there were fears that the train could dislodge a battalion of Malaysian commandos to strike at the heart of MINDEF.....so how to stop them?:rolleyes:

Victory2016

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sometimes I ask myself if that particular spy planted within the highest levels of our research Establishment actually saved our 2 countries from going to war in those days. He would surely have known that Singapore was not out to invade Malaysia, and that all our moves were defensive in nature.

Without his info to his Malaysian Intel handlers, the Malaysian army could easily have had thought that Singapore was going to launch a pre-emptive strike and they could have reacted accordingly, resulting in a war nobody wanted.......

I am still wondering........did this farking traitor actually saved both sides?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Why would Malaysia want to attack Spore after the Tengku kicked Spore out from the Malay Federation :confused:
Didn't he want to get rid of LKY the trouble maker?

According to James Minchin in his book "No Man Is an Island: A Study of Singapore's Lee Kuan Yew" https://www.amazon.com/No-Man-Islan...85372151&sr=1-17&keywords=no+man+is+an+island
the reason NS was started was because LKY feared that the Malaysian army was going to put him in jail. So he needed the army boys to protect him:rolleyes:

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lucky no war...we have advance faster.

If war, i release tons of babi and run amok on your land.:biggrin:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Why would Malaysia want to attack Spore after the Tengku kicked Spore out from the Malay Federation :confused:
Didn't he want to get rid of LKY the trouble maker?

According to James Minchin in his book "No Man Is an Island: A Study of Singapore's Lee Kuan Yew" https://www.amazon.com/No-Man-Islan...85372151&sr=1-17&keywords=no+man+is+an+island
the reason NS was started was because LKY feared that the Malaysian army was going to put him in jail. So he needed the army boys to protect him:rolleyes:

The whole separation of the 2 countries after the merger, was actually done illegally. This is why Old Fart needed NS in the event that the Malaysian supreme court ruled that the separation was done without proper consultation. The merger itself was a long process of proper consultation, campaigning and finally a referendum from the people of the 2 countries. It follows that a separation must also be conducted the same way. But instead, the whole separation as done secretly among back room deals, with some members of the singapore cabinet not even told about it. If the separation had been challenged in court, there is a good possibility that it would have gone all the way to the supreme court of both countries, with the result that the separation might be annulled. In which case, Old Fart expected to be blasted out of singapore and hell has to freeze before he was forced out as PM. hence a strong military would protect him from all of this.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal

The existence of SAF was never meant to fight war. Rather it to strengthen the bargaining power of our leaders at negotiating table with neighboring countries and played the hardball when needed.