• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat 23 Jan 2017 - Flooding In SG?

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm old enough to remember the floods along Changi Road, Langsat road area back in the late 70s. Situation did improve in the 80s through 90s. Occasionally we have heavy rain over long hours but rarely resulting in flash floods like what we have over the last decade or so, incidentally after the building of the barrage.

LKY and Ahmad Mattar solved SG's flood problems. But LHL's incompetence brought back the floods through negligence

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm old enough to remember the floods along Changi Road, Langsat road area back in the late 70s. Situation did improve in the 80s through 90s. Occasionally we have heavy rain over long hours but rarely resulting in flash floods like what we have over the last decade or so, incidentally after the building of the barrage.

I can remember the floods of the 60"s. If you lived in the Bukit Timah area, the electricity would be interrupted & we are not talking of flash floods. It might last a day. I knew someone who lived in a low lying area & they had to move their furniture to the second floor because the 1st floor would be flooded.

The army trucks were mobilised to help people who were stranded by the floods.

I remember reading the paper in the 70's that showed Newton circus badly flooded. The picture showed a street sign & you could only see the top of the road sign.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this freak rain has been going on for almost 20 hours now,whats going on?i bet elsewhere outside of singapore there are hurricanes and tsunamis going on right now.what happens when all our reservoirs become overfull and sea levels get too high?if it rains for 40 days and 40 nights our hdb flats will become noah's arks.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I dont have to prove anything to you if you prefer to remain in your ignorance.

There were enough findings to prove that many drains were clogged with rubbish that resulted in flooding. Deny all you want but facts are facts

who produced the rubbish that clogged drains? don't tell me it was the pap. you should be thankful the pap is kind enough to build an extensive drainage network, and you should be thankful to sinkies and their constant upgrades and remodeling of properties to produce more rubbish and debris for the otherwise pristine and flowing drainage system. root cause: sinkies. case closed.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
who produced the rubbish that clogged drains? don't tell me it was the pap. you should be thankful the pap is kind enough to build an extensive drainage network, and you should be thankful to sinkies and their constant upgrades and remodeling of properties to produce more rubbish and debris for the otherwise pristine and flowing drainage system. root cause: sinkies. case closed.

I live in a condo & some of the new tenants have been dumping their garbage into the garbage chutes without bagging them 1st. Had some of them who threw their broom handles into the drainage or tried to dump very large items into the garbage chute. Many foreigners are not familiar with living in high rise buildings.

Sporeans take for granted that fellow Sporeans know how to live in flats because many have lived in HDB all their lifes.

The PAP have let in millions of foreigners into Spore. Some have no idea how to even use a toilet :eek:

[video=youtube;5toWVucYtA4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5toWVucYtA4[/video]

If they don't understand a simple concept like toilet use, then how do you expect foreigners to keep their environment clean & tidy :confused: Why am I blaming foreigners? I blame foreigners because they outnumber the locals & are more likely to be about creating & dumping trash. Sporeans are too busy at school, at work, doing NS, dozing in coffee shops or void decks, ...

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I live in a condo & some of the new tenants have been dumping their garbage into the garbage chutes without bagging them 1st. Had some of them who threw their broom handles into the drainage or tried to dump very large items into the garbage chute. Many foreigners are not familiar with living in high rise buildings.

Sporeans take for granted that fellow Sporeans know how to live in flats because many have lived in HDB all their lifes.

The PAP have let in millions of foreigners into Spore. Some have no idea how to even use a toilet :eek:

If they don't understand a simple concept like toilet use, then how do you expect foreigners to keep their environment clean & tidy :confused: Why am I blaming foreigners? I blame foreigners because they outnumber the locals & are more likely to be about creating & dumping trash. Sporeans are too busy at school, at work, doing NS, dozing in coffee shops or void decks, ...

consumer thrash alone will not clogged big covered longkangs in sg. they are similar to fallen leaves, twigs and rotten fruit that are flushed into drainage during heavy downpours. in other words, they are small fragments, break down and eventually get flushed to larger canals. what can clog drains are debris, concrete, and plywood from construction and remodeling projects. are these irresponsible contractors and sub-contractors sinkies or jiu hu kia's? me think most of them are sinkie uncles. they can't blame their foreign workers for dumping debris into drains and sewers as they are supposed to supervise them and take full responsibilities for their workers' actions at work sites. conclusion: sinkies are still the root cause. case closed....again.

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I see no need to carry on this conversation further. As long as you dislike and bear much hatred for the governance, your mentality is already geared for condemnation of them, even if they have shown to have improved. Period. Nobody is perfect.

Shown improvements? You gotta be kidding. Like what? Replace the slippers for mrt tracks? Who created these problems in the first place? If showing progress and improvements by creating truckload of shit first to work on is praise worthy, there's something definitely wrong. Sg did not pay world's highest salaries to a bunch of apprentices.

You are like pappies, shutting out anything you don't like to hear as noises. Your dumb presence here will only discredit pap more and affirm that they aren't keen to listen and improve but to claim credits and reject disagreements.

Thank you for putting pap in such a "positive" light.

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal

It is futile to argue who threw the rubbish. But when the govt using tax payers' money gets contractors to clear rubbish, the govt is responsible to ensure that contractors clear the rubbish. If rubbish clogs drains, the govt is equally liable as the contractor for the clogged drain.

I stay in a condo and there are many India indians in the condo. Some of these indians will come to the condo garden and pluck the flowers from the common areas. Some indians will swim in the pool in their saris. Some will leave their newspapers and junks at the lift lobbies instead to bring them to the assigned disposable areas. Such boorish behaviours have caused some friction between between locals and foreigners who bring their cultural habits to SG.

So I leave it to you to imagine who threw rubbish indiscriminately.

My point is to say that pap and contractors not clearing rubbish properly has caused flooding

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal

I agree with you. I stay in a condo too and have seen bad behaviours from foreigners from pouring coffee from his balcony to throwing curry out of his window to swimming in home clothes.

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Shown improvements? You gotta be kidding. Like what? Replace the slippers for mrt tracks? Who created these problems in the first place? If showing progress and improvements by creating truckload of shit first to work on is praise worthy, there's something definitely wrong. Sg did not pay world's highest salaries to a bunch of apprentices.

You are like pappies, shutting out anything you don't like to hear as noises. Your dumb presence here will only discredit pap more and affirm that they aren't keen to listen and improve but to claim credits and reject disagreements.

1. MRT breakdowns were caused by PAP as they employed their cronies
2. Shortage of hospital beds caused by PAP because they didnt plan well if they want to let in 2 million foreigners
3. MRT congestion caused by PAP...same as (2) above
4. Lift breakdowns caused by pap because they let in unskilled and unqualified foreigners to instal and maintain our lifts
5. Flooding caused by pap because they allowed contractors to not clear rubbish properly
6. Many poor and sick singaporeans caused by pap because they collect too much money from Singaporeans and high hdb prices until aged singaporeans have no more CPF when they reach 65years

cocobobo

Alfrescian
Loyal

this is very true.
when I first moved into my HDB the estate was neat, spick and span.
Then the waves of foreigners started coming, and they also brought along their elderly with them to stay for months.
That's when it started turning into a slum. Litter, litter everywhere. Thrown out of windows like nobody's business. The china old folks would keep those pesky little dogs and your void deck and corridors are their toilets.

I thought that was bad, but then they started subletting.. from relatively civilized FTs, to free-for-all FWs. From a slum to a dump.
Every morning you'll see beer cans and food wrappers left behind after their chit chats and all these get blown into drains.

I used to like my estate, my big flat, but couldn't stand it anymore and had to move out to private. If you're a neat person, stepping out of your HDB door these days can drive you insane.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
:smile: some places like HK, Philippines, Florida, Lousiana, Japan got flooded because of nature's forces such as typhoons and hurricanes. Singapore's flooding is entirely man's fault and incompetence
You are indeed laughable. You mean to say the floods in Singapore did not arise from continuous heavy rain? Can we control when to rain and how much to rain? Sinkies themselves are partly to blame for indiscriminately throwing rubbish and clogging up the drains, such that fines are necessary to be imposed to make them law abiding, what else do you want?

If only you have some logic and engineering background, you'll realize that Singapore is AN ISLAND, surrounded by the sea at all corners. Its land mass is only 720 sq km. With so little land mass and the sea all around, in the event of continuous heavy rain and coinciding with high tides, definitely those low lying areas will be the first to get flooded. Otherwise, where would you expect the sudden copious amount of rain water to flow since there is already not much land for them to "spread" out and outflows toward the sea will be slowed due to the rising tides.

Instead of saying man's fault, incompetence and whatever, why don't you propose or suggest what should be done instead? Otherwise, your contribution to make good the situation will be as good as ZERO.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal

Firstly, they are called "sleepers", not "slippers", shoes or sandals. The old timber sleepers are less durable and in fact all sleepers have a limited lifespan. They are due for replacements anyway and improvements have already been made by using concrete sleepers which will double their lifespans.

I can agree that many of today's MRT failures had been caused by that Aunty Saw. She should not have been the CEO of SMRT as she doesn't have an engineering background to manage a rail network. As such, she had neglected much of the regular maintenance works. What's done cannot be undone now. I have praises for Khaw. He has tried and is still trying his best to repair and upgrade the rail networks. All these will take time since they only have 4 hours a night to work.

On a side note, I think Khaw is worthy of mention. At all the ministries which he had helm, I see improvements. My nephew started as a doctor in the civil service. He told me that when Khaw was at the Health Ministry, almost all his subordinates don't like him for his overly strict and no-nonsense policy. When you want to get things done, you must not be afraid of retaliations. Before when he was at the MND, isn't he the one to dare to build more HDB flats to clear the backlog of new applicants? His predecessors like Raymond Lim (transport minister) and Mah Bow Tan, are indeed useless, which I do admit. Presently as Transport Minister, he has a huge task to rectify the faults left by Aunty Saw. Even Lui Tuck Yew gave up the job and threw in the towel. I won't say he's a bad minister, but he had put in quite a good effort except that he may have felt that these are not recognized nor appreciated by the Sinkies. So, why bother to carry on? I see Khaw has the perseverance to take on the challenge in whatever Ministries he's being thrown into. Not all ministers have the same caliber nor endurance as him.

And don't you dare say that I'll always put the PAP in "positive" light. Where there are condemnations, I will highlight them. When there are praises and compliments, they indeed need to be further encouraged. And who is more dumb when "sleepers" can't even get it correct?

Last edited:

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are indeed laughable. You mean to say the floods in Singapore did not arise from continuous heavy rain? Can we control when to rain and how much to rain? Sinkies themselves are partly to blame for indiscriminately throwing rubbish and clogging up the drains, such that fines are necessary to be imposed to make them law abiding, what else do you want?

If only you have some logic and engineering background, you'll realize that Singapore is AN ISLAND, surrounded by the sea at all corners. Its land mass is only 720 sq km. With so little land mass and the sea all around, in the event of continuous heavy rain and coinciding with high tides, definitely those low lying areas will be the first to get flooded. Otherwise, where would you expect the sudden copious amount of rain water to flow since there is already not much land for them to "spread" out and outflows toward the sea will be slowed due to the rising tides.

Instead of saying man's fault, incompetence and whatever, why don't you propose or suggest what should be done instead? Otherwise, your contribution to make good the situation will be as good as ZERO.

The following can help mitigate the problem:

1. PAP takes its duty seriously and start to be competent in what it has been called to do. PAP must ensure that contractors tasked to clear rubbish must clear rubbish and not sweep them into the drains. PAP dont blame the contractors for not diligent in their work. PAP has the power to make sure that contractors do their work by checking on them and withholding payment if they dont dont their work well. When pap is serious and diligent, contractors will clear the rubbish.

2. PAP enforces the keep SG clean habits by policing and catching litter bugs. A habit without strict enforement will fail us

3. SG is a small island.. more population means more food needed, more water needed and more rubbish generated. So can SG house 6.9M?

4. PAP must select the foreigners we want. More rubbish foreigners produce more rubbish, not just litter but crimes, social problems, etc

there are a lot more for pap to do

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
this is very true.
when I first moved into my HDB the estate was neat, spick and span.
Then the waves of foreigners started coming, and they also brought along their elderly with them to stay for months.
That's when it started turning into a slum. Litter, litter everywhere. Thrown out of windows like nobody's business. The china old folks would keep those pesky little dogs and your void deck and corridors are their toilets.

I thought that was bad, but then they started subletting.. from relatively civilized FTs, to free-for-all FWs. From a slum to a dump.
Every morning you'll see beer cans and food wrappers left behind after their chit chats and all these get blown into drains.

I used to like my estate, my big flat, but couldn't stand it anymore and had to move out to private. If you're a neat person, stepping out of your HDB door these days can drive you insane.

Many of us know what you said is true.

But the pap and their IBs will deny the truth

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal

"By Annabelle Liang

A BLOCKED culvert - a drain that diverts water - caused the flood that submerged Orchard Road in knee-high water two days ago, the PUB said yesterday.

The culvert, which is 2.7m in width and depth, diverts water from drains in Nassim Road and Cuscaden Road into two sections of Stamford Canal, which runs along Orchard Road.

But Wednesday's storm swept so much debris - such as leaves, branches and litter - into the culvert that part of it became clogged.

As a result, water could not flow into Stamford Canal's smaller section, which stretches from Delfi Orchard to Lucky Plaza.

Instead, it flowed into the canal's other section stretching from Orchard Parade Hotel to Liat Towers and Wisma Atria. It was unable to handle the full load despite being larger.

Water surged out from this channel onto the junction of Orchard Road and Scotts Road - the worst-hit area - and disrupted traffic and business.

Mr Yap Kheng Guan, PUB's director of 3P networks, said yesterday: "Capacity wasn't a factor at all, as there were similar storms in the past and the canal handled such storms."

About 100mm of rain fell in the central parts of Singapore between 8am and 11am on Wednesday. This was more than 60 per cent of the average monthly rainfall for June.

Mr Yap said that the same amount of rainfall was recorded in central Singapore during downpours in January 2008 and November last year.

This time, however, flooding occurred because of the pattern of rainfall: An intense amount of rain in short bursts at about 9.30am and at 10.30am.

The first burst of rain washed the debris into the culvert, but there was insufficient rain in the ensuing hour to flush it out.

The next burst of rain then washed more debris into the culvert, aggravating the initial blockage.

When PUB officers combed the entire canal to clear debris from the drains, starting from Wednesday afternoon after the flood subsided, they found a third of the culvert clogged at 10pm.

To tackle the problem, the PUB will install additional debris traps in the Stamford Canal, as well as in upstream drains leading to it.

Its officers will also inspect the canal more frequently - monthly, instead of quarterly.

In the future, it plans to install more sensors in the canal, on top of the existing two sensors, to better monitor the water level in it.

The PUB is still investigating why two other areas - Bukit Timah and Veerasamy Road - became flooded.

Yesterday, Orchard Road was almost back to normal. National Environment Agency (NEA) officers had cleaned affected pedestrian underpasses by 10pm on Wednesday.

It was business as usual for most shopping malls and hotels in the area. These included Wheelock Place, Wisma Atria, ION Orchard, Shaw Centre, Tangs, and Marriott Hotel, which were not damaged despite being near the junction of Orchard and Scotts roads.

Staff of McDonald's at Lucky Plaza cleaned up the outlet overnight, and business also resumed yesterday, following a check by NEA officers.

PUB officers and contractors finished pumping water out of the basements of Lucky Plaza, Liat Towers, Tong Building and Delfi Orchard at 3.30pm yesterday.

However, shops in the Liat Towers basement, which was almost submerged by flood waters yesterday, were still cleaning up the mess left by the flood. Fast-food restaurant Wendy's threeday- old outlet there will be closed for the next four to six weeks, so that costs can be calculated and damaged repaired.

Kopitiam Group, which runs the chain here, said the flood damaged equipment and infrastructure worth more than $500,000, on top of perishable items.

Its managing director, Mr Alden Tan, said the outlet's staff would be deployed to other outlets in Lau Pa Sat and Jurong Point, which will open round the clock from today to July 12.

Starbucks Coffee Singapore said it would probably remodel its Liat Towers store, as the damage was extensive.

Miss Madeleine Ho, the marketing director for retailer Hermes Singapore, said: "While our products escaped unscathed, the walls, window decorations, furniture and furnishings were badly damaged. Restoration will take some time, as a substantial portion of the fittings have to be imported."

Another retailer, Massimo Dutti, said it was cleaning up its store and assessing the damage.

All three stores were unable to sa
y when they would reopen."

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Heavy rains in the afternoon caused flash floods, affecting several roads, Woodlands Road near the Kranji Expressway (KJE) slip road; the Little India area (Norris Road, Kampong Kapor, Owen Road); Ang Mo Kio Ave 5; and the junction of Jalan Pemimpin and Bishan Street 21. The worst affected roads was in the Upper Serangoon area – after PIE exit, next to the Woodsville flyover. The flash floods subsided in 15 minutes except at Upper Serangoon.[21]

The flash flood at Upper Serangoon was due to a choke in an unapproved temporary drainage which was constructed. It was constructed by a contractor carrying out road work for the Land Transport Authority at the Woodsville flyover. The pipes were undersized and not properly connected. The pipes was also obstructed with debris, resulting in severe restriction of the flow of rainwater. The contractor will be prosecuted for illegally obstructing and altering the drainage system."

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Continuous heavy rainfall since Sunday drenched most of the island, causing flash floods in at least five areas,[/COLOR] mostly in the east. Flash floods were reported on the Tampines Expressway slip road at Tampines Avenue 12 and near the Punggol exit, Airport Boulevard, one stretch of Ang Mo Kio Avenue 5 and Changi Village.

Localised chokes in the drainage along Airport Boulevard, Ang Mo Kio Avenue 5 and in Changi Village were blamed for the floods. Lanes along Airport Boulevard and at the junction of Tampines avenues 9 and 12 had to be closed for one to two hours. A partially completed bridge at the Punggol Waterway collapsed under the weight of rainwater on Sunday morning[10]

The eastern area around Changi and Pulau Ubin received the highest rainfall. As of 31 January 2011, 200.8mm of rain had pelted down on Pulau Ubin, and 178mm in Changi. The rain had subsided by Monday evening."

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
"A violent pre-dawn thunderstorm known as Sumatra squall rattled Singapore in the early hours, causing flash floods in parts of Singapore. Toh Tuck Road had the heaviest rainfall, with 95.2mm falling by 10am that day. Three flash floods were reported. At the Marina South underpass, a drain grating was blocked by debris. Tampines Street 81 was the scene of a localised flood due to intense rain, while water at Bishan Street 21 collected in a depression in the road. All three areas remained passable to traffic despite the flash floods"

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
I can still remember those flooded days stretching from the junction of Chai Chee Road and New Upper Changi Road, as well as the low lying areas in Opera Estate like Aida Street. Luckily I stayed in slightly attas area in Siglap and was not affected at all.