• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Singapore 2G switch-off illuminates digital divide

AsiaDK

Alfrescian
Loyal
When Singapore pulls the plug on its second-generation (2G) mobile phone network this year, thousands of people could be stuck without a signal — digital have-nots left behind by the relentless march of technology. From technophobic pensioners to cash-strapped migrant workers, about 140,000 people in highly wired Singapore still use the city-state’s 2G network and cheap, robust handsets.

For other devotees of 2G, it is the simplicity of the solid, old handsets that is the main selling point, and 80-year-old retiree Tan Ah Phong said he is dreading the April deadline. “We only need phones to make calls,” he said. “Just looking at the number of functions on a lot of phones nowadays gives me a headache.”

Lee Soo Eng, 86, said her daughter gave her a touchscreen smartphone two months ago, but she regrets giving up her 2G device. “At this age, my memory is not good, so I keep forgetting how to unlock it or use it to call,” she said. “When I need to contact anybody, I will just use a public payphone,” she said.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/archives/2017/01/23/2003663606

AsiaDK

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are few limited 3G elder-friendly phones, eg. clam phones in market. Most elder phones are 2G based

Elders risks pressing on the wrong buttons or triggering calls as touchscreen are sensitive.

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are in the market, 3G phones with 2G 'old fashion' features for the older generation. Cheaper too.