• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Am i Teochew or Hakka ?

HonkieSingie

Alfrescian
Loyal
My father is Teochew but I just found out that his paternal ancestral home is from the very south part of Jiangxi and that region is a pure Hakka speaking region.
My father said that his great grandfather migrated from that province to Chaozhou.

However my father said that none of his parents and grandparents ever mentioned they were Hakka. What does this mean ?

fupikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
My father is Teochew but I just found out that his paternal ancestral home is from the very south part of Jiangxi and that region is a pure Hakka speaking region.
My father said that his great grandfather migrated from that province to Chaozhou.

However my father said that none of his parents and grandparents ever mentioned they were Hakka. What does this mean ?

If your father is Teochew, then you are Teochew....period.

China underwent many periods of uncertainties with changes of regimes. Immigrations within this vast territory were frequent and normal, with many causes, ranging from wars, tensions, economic, to political or cultural/tribal/ethnic reasons. Many dialects mixed with each other in various areas and their residences overlap.

Why your Teochew family was once in a hakka region - if you want to know, go back and do a thorough historical tracing of your roots and you will know. But this is a herculean task that can be undertaken only if one has the great persistence, money and above all, money. For a start, just go and ask your father and older relatives for some recollections. Maybe some plausible reasons will come out of it.

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
pls check if your mother had affair with apu nehneh or Ali and then giving birth to you?
if yes, then you are of mix heritage .

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
pls check if your mother had affair with apu nehneh or Ali and then giving birth to you?
if yes, then you are of mix heritage .

One of my ancestors was a fucking hairy monkey (not sure if teochiew or hakka), im sure i have monkey DNA inside me somewhere.

HonkieSingie

Alfrescian
Loyal
I feel more like a Cantonese. I speak Cantonese, watch Hong Kong dramas, listen to Canton pop, eat Cantonese food.

How can I feel Teochew to be honest ?

I mean Chaozhou are technically also Guandong-ren aswell since they are geographically in Guangdong however linguistically they are with the Min-group ( I used to to think the Teochew dialect was just some hometown village version of Cantonese )

250px-Guangdong_subdivisions_-_Chaozhou.svg.png

I was most shocked when my father told me we are are not the same as Yue-Cantonese group because Cantonese is what I identitied in the past 19 years even though I told everyone I'm from Hong Kong.

Even in terms of mainland chinks I feel more connection with the Cantonese speakers much more so than the Mandarin and Min speakers from China. Teochew.....I mean what the fuck am I suppose to say ? I've been watching/listening Cantonese movies, songs and can even write in Cantonese but absolutely nothing in Teochew.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal

You are a hybrid and your new name Chew Ka or if someone mispronounced, it will be Chew Ching Kia ...

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Neither, you are a moron

HonkieSingie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually it doesn't have to be Hakka. Jiangxi province is inhabited by these 5 different types of dialect sub-groups.

My ancestors could have once spoken : Gan, Hakka, Huizhou, Wu, Jianghuai Mandarin

fupikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually it doesn't have to be Hakka. Jiangxi province is inhabited by these 5 different types of dialect sub-groups.

My ancestors could have once spoken : Gan, Hakka, Huizhou, Wu, Jianghuai Mandarin

So does it matter if you are hakka?

However, even if you speak and live like a Cantonese, but, you are still a Teochew.

Just go by the dialect your father is identified with, that is, Teochew.

HonkieSingie

Alfrescian
Loyal
So does it matter if you are hakka?

However, even if you speak and live like a Cantonese, but, you are still a Teochew.

Just go by the dialect your father is identified with, that is, Teochew.

This is extremely complicated. I've been identifying myself as Cantonese until 3 years ago and I used to think Guangdong = Cantonese. Being Teochew is more than just DNA.... you need to speak Teochew and act like Teochew. I act neither Teochew or speak Teochew. Don't get me wrong I'm proud of being Teochew by race, they are good businessman but come on I just don't feel any kinship. I still feel I'm culturally, linguistically Cantonese and nothing Teochew about me.

Now the problem is. Is my father a Jiangxi person who assimilated into Teochew ? My father didn't emphasized himself being Teochew. I HAVE NO TEOCHEW PRIDE LAH....

I never felt any bond with Teochew..... to me it's just a city in the eastern end of Guangdong ( that I always though was just Cantonese )

Last edited:

HonkieSingie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hong Kong people

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_people

" members of other Han Chinese groups such as Hakka, Hokkien, and Teochew,[11][16][17][18] people who are Hong Kong-born or raised often assimilate the mainstream Cantonese identity of Hong Kong and typically adopt Cantonese as a first language.[19] "

So this is what I am. A Hong Konger/Singaporean mix; father is a Hong Konger of Teochew with Jiangxi roots and completely assimilated to Cantonese ????

HonkieSingie

Alfrescian
Loyal
When I was playing Sleeping Dogs I felt kinship with it's profanities

[video=youtube;nV6riHyBrpM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV6riHyBrpM&t=116s[/video]

I listen to cool ass Cantonese rap songs ( it's from the Sleeping dog video game btw )

[video=youtube;j8-qkrDB2kY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8-qkrDB2kY[/video]