• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Cycling

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I started cycling way 1984 till today, bought my first Bike Legnano steel frame, Shimano 600EX component from Hock Swee Leong at Cuppage Road now Road closed, bike shop also closed, the boss Mr. Ng also gone!

Have 4 bike at home 2 full carbon and 2 steel bike from UK! Average cycled 250km to 350km per week depend on my mood and kakis!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I started cycling way 1984 till today, bought my first Bike Legnano steel frame, Shimano 600EX component from Hock Swee Leong at Cuppage Road now Road closed, bike shop also closed, the boss Mr. Ng also gone!

Have 4 bike at home 2 full carbon and 2 steel bike from UK! Average cycled 250km to 350km per week depend on my mood and kakis!

That is impressive mileage for someone living in a small congested Island. Do you have fixed routes that you ride on specific days?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
got into this sport as i need an exercise that is light in impact as my knee hurts if i run. was totally out of shape for my health and have lost more than 10kg since i started cycling half a year ago. do not think i will cycle in any race, now i just cycle round island at my own pace just for health reason. although i realise i am going faster and faster as the days goes by. thanks for the recommendation of the wheels, i am thinking of getting a new one as well as my current wheel is pretty heavy.

I saw this video and do not think i will get a carbon wheel as well. this fellow repair carbon for others and he strongly discourage people from getting a carbon wheel (clinchers).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET1jRVynOBA&t=103s

Deep section carbon wheels do make a small difference if you're riding a time trial and averaging above 35kph . However if you're in a bunch the gains are minuscule and not worth the extra cost and trouble. If you ride at 30kph or lower there is no difference whatsoever.

I own a pair of Mavic Carbone Ultra's but I hardly ever use them because they are easily damaged and a lot of trouble to repair.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
not sure about you guys, actually i personally find distance is not the killer, but the gradient is the real killer. I can go on for hours if its a relatively flat road. recently join a local cycling group and they bring me go round singapore climbing around 7 hills. That really almost kills me, totally run out of gas....esp the one at bukit batok and kent ridge. nevertheless enjoy it tremendously, now looking forwards to more climbs to pant and breathe in more fresh air.

planning of cycling oversea to see more things now

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Deep section carbon wheels do make a small difference if you're riding a time trial and averaging above 35kph . However if you're in a bunch the gains are minuscule and not worth the extra cost and trouble. If you ride at 30kph or lower there is no difference whatsoever.

I own a pair of Mavic Carbone Ultra's but I hardly ever use them because they are easily damaged and a lot of trouble to repair.

i see.... thanks. i think my current setup is good enough for me to play for at least a few couple of years before i upgrade anything. my next bike i will most likely get a carbon wheel but with disc brake.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I had no idea people were cycling in the 80sin Singapore except those with Mtn bikes at East Coast. I thought it was much later. Respect.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, the hills. Even a gradient of 3 to 4 sucks you dry. I have done all the way to 12, my max and that too was a short climb. The longest was an average of 5 over 7 kms with nothing less than 4. All overseas.

There forummers here that have done Gentings, and places like Taiwan with HC grade.

not sure about you guys, actually i personally find distance is not the killer, but the gradient is the real killer. I can go on for hours if its a relatively flat road. recently join a local cycling group and they bring me go round singapore climbing around 7 hills. That really almost kills me, totally run out of gas....esp the one at bukit batok and kent ridge. nevertheless enjoy it tremendously, now looking forwards to more climbs to pant and breathe in more fresh air.

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, the hills. Even a gradient of 3 to 4 sucks you dry. I have done all the way to 12, my max and that too was a short climb. The longest was an average of 5 over 7 kms with nothing less than 4. All overseas.

There forummers here that have done Gentings, and places like Taiwan with HC grade.

From Kuala Kubu Bahru to the peak of Fraser Hills - easy 41 kms climb.

From MacDonald at he foothills of Gentings to the top of Gentings - most gruelling 20 kms climb.

From S'pore > Kota Tinggi > Desaru > Tanjong Pengilih > Changi Point (by bum-boat) - a walk in the park.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, frankly I was surprised when you first mentioned Gentings. I had no idea that people did Gentings. I had to read it again. You guys are from another planet.

From Kuala Kubu Bahru to the peak of Fraser Hills - easy 41 kms climb.

From MacDonald at he foothills of Gentings to the top of Gentings - most gruelling 20 kms climb.

From S'pore > Kota Tinggi > Desaru > Tanjong Pengilih > Changi Point (by bum-boat) - a walk in the park.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
every weekend. up the summit on paved road and down the steep dirt trail on a bmx-mountain hybrid.

IMG_3901.JPG

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

Gradients are all about power/weight so the easiest way to improve your climbing performance is to lose weight.

Flat roads are easy in Singapore because there are no cross winds to deal with. Most of the time there is nothing more than a light breeze and as long as you have a wheel to suck it is easy to keep up with a group. You'll only be dropped if you are 20% to 30% weaker than the rest of the bunch.

With cross winds of 20kph to 30kph it's a whole new ball game. Unless you have a wide road all to yourself there is nowhere to hide and the group can be shredded in less than a kilometer.

I learned the hard way when I first started racing in NZ. Positioning and knowledge of where the wind is coming from is crucial in any race.

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, frankly I was surprised when you first mentioned Gentings. I had no idea that people did Gentings. I had to read it again. You guys are from another planet.

Genting Highland is a Private road the Polis will stop you from cycling up,

however once a year they allow cyclists to conquer the high steep slope in March

when there's a race called Tour De-Lankawi after the race! Just to let you

challenge yourself!

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I had no idea people were cycling in the 80sin Singapore except those with Mtn bikes at East Coast. I thought it was much later. Respect.

Bro, the last few kms before reaching the top, near the Chinese temples the road appears to be like a vertical wall.

It's so extremely gruelling that when we reached the top, we often dismounted to kiss the ground.

To date had made 5 successful climbs with my buddies.

All roadies must make at least one climb up to Gentings before he/she dies.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
hearing all the comments here makes me more determine to go oversea to climb the slopes lol. it is extremely encouraging to see someone of my mum age still cycling when i join a local group recently (of cos they climb way slower), i do hope that when I am at their age i still can ride.

we should all show off our bike with nice scenery that we have being to, let me start.

I am pretty sure you guys have nicer pic from the places you guys being to

15940448_10211587820200822_8073336758483063977_n.jpg

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, the last few kms before reaching the top, near the Chinese temples the road appears to be like a vertical wall.

It's so extremely gruelling that when we reached the top, we often dismounted to kiss the ground.

To date had made 5 successful climbs with my buddies.

All roadies must make at least one climb up to Gentings before he/she dies.

registered that HAHA

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This was in the UK. I was on my bike and came to stop at a red light , when a bike came alongside me and stopped. It was a lady clearly in her 60s and she greeted me by asking how "How you doing young man". And she said with no sign of breathlessness. I saw her road bike. My ego kicked in when the lights turned green.

It did not take long to realise that there are lots of folks at that age who ride to a high standard.

. it is extremely encouraging to see someone of my mum age still cycling when i join a local group recently (of cos they climb way slower), i do hope that when I am at their age i still can ride.

View attachment 29763