• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat More cabbies leaving the job amid stiff competition

AsiaDK

Alfrescian
Loyal
More cabbies are throwing in the towel and exiting the taxi trade, underscoring the stiff competition they are facing from private-hire services like Uber and Grab.

More than 1,620 taxis are now sitting idle in the yards of taxi companies, up from 1,190. This, even as the total fleet of taxis in Singapore has shrunk, from 28,300 at the end of 2015 to 27,500 currently.

The rise in the number of unhired taxis has prompted a second operator to slash rentals. Premier, with over 1,900 cabs, has cut its net rentals to mostly below $100 a day, a spokesman told The Straits Times.

In doing so, it follows in the footsteps of Trans-Cab, the second biggest operator here with 4,500 taxis, which has cut rental fees by between 22 per cent and 34 per cent for drivers hiring without a relief.

There are about 25,000 Uber and Grab cars here. While private-hire operators also have unhired cars - nearly 1,000 as The Sunday Times reported yesterday - this is a matter of the market needing to reach equilibrium point, said Dr Park.

http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/more-cabbies-leaving-job-amid-stiff-competition

AsiaDK

Alfrescian
Loyal
Honda has taken an equity stake in Grab. In return, Grab is likely to bid COEs for releasing another 3000-5000 vezels in the market within the next 18 months.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
gone are the days when uncle can drive and send their kids to university, the last line of backup for sinkies are gone. $8 cow must be laughing behind their back.:oIo:

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The eventual target is driverless taxi.

World's first driverless taxi trial kicks off in Singapore
http://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...-driverless-taxi-trial-kicks-off-in-singapore

driverless won't work, it can work well on less busy, straight normal roads like expressways just like your cruise button on cars nowadays. when there are short bendings, little busy streets and lanes. i doubt it can navigate properly. imagine those kap kias overtake here and there on busy roads. the driverless system will crash. they should test the driverless car on the streets in bkk for a month or more before actual launch. just a penny of my thought and i could be proven wrong.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
More cabbies are throwing in the towel and exiting the taxi trade, underscoring the stiff competition they are facing from private-hire services like Uber and Grab.

More than 1,620 taxis are now sitting idle in the yards of taxi companies, up from 1,190. This, even as the total fleet of taxis in Singapore has shrunk, from 28,300 at the end of 2015 to 27,500 currently.

The rise in the number of unhired taxis has prompted a second operator to slash rentals. Premier, with over 1,900 cabs, has cut its net rentals to mostly below $100 a day, a spokesman told The Straits Times.

In doing so, it follows in the footsteps of Trans-Cab, the second biggest operator here with 4,500 taxis, which has cut rental fees by between 22 per cent and 34 per cent for drivers hiring without a relief.

There are about 25,000 Uber and Grab cars here. While private-hire operators also have unhired cars - nearly 1,000 as The Sunday Times reported yesterday - this is a matter of the market needing to reach equilibrium point, said Dr Park.

http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/more-cabbies-leaving-job-amid-stiff-competition

More are leaving to drive UBER and Grab. I will be ok to drive a Grab or Uber. The Stigma that comes being a taxi driver is worse. The social stigma of being a taxi driver is Lazy, too expensive and not skilled enough, bitchy.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
This shows PAP policies a roaring success! Many cabbies upgraded their skills and found well paying jobs in the new economy paying better than 7k a month! Success creates its own problems but these, these are happy problems. :smile:

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
This shows PAP policies a roaring success! Many cabbies upgraded their skills and found well paying jobs in the new economy paying better than 7k a month! Success creates its own problems but these, these are happy problems. :smile:

Which planet are you from ?

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
gone are the days when uncle can drive and send their kids to university, the last line of backup for sinkies are gone. $8 cow must be laughing behind their back.:oIo:

Not long ago you dismissed car sharing apps as a fad and will never beat taxi companies... what happened har?

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am surprised tat temasick will sacrifice their taxi companies to ride sharing apps..But of course temasick has a stake in them too. But now the last bastion of singkies only industry is gone.. Anyway taxis are yesterday tech.. But I hope Singkieland will implement singkies only drivers... For ride sharing..

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am surprised tat temasick will sacrifice their taxi companies to ride sharing apps..But of course temasick has a stake in them too. But now the last bastion of singkies only industry is gone.. Anyway taxis are yesterday tech.. But I hope Singkieland will implement singkies only drivers... For ride sharing..

Ministers are Singaporeans only liao loh, what more you want? Cannot be everything must reserve for sinkies. Singapore belongs to everybody. :smile:

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not long ago you dismissed car sharing apps as a fad and will never beat taxi companies... what happened har?

it's still early to say, now only few years have passed, eventually, the taxi company with the best drivers, pple will take note and will call them. although comfort buay gan, but the drivers are at least better cos' they are more courteous but i remember i myself took one comfort cab, uncle want to introduce ah long to me. you see how how fuck up the manipulator is, if i am correct again, must be the doing of the lassup mata. they can link me to ah long and all kinds of vices. argh ptui!:oIo:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The driverless bt Panjang lrt also cannot manage properly want to go driverless cars ?

driverless cars technology will take many more years to perfect. And the price of failure is high (accidents resulting in injuries or death).

In my humble opinion this technology is not bankable. Better stick to delivery drones

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it's still early to say, now only few years have passed, eventually, the taxi company with the best drivers, pple will take note and will call them. although comfort buay gan, but the drivers are at least better cos' they are more courteous but i remember i myself took one comfort cab, uncle want to introduce ah long to me. you see how how fuck up the manipulator is, if i am correct again, must be the doing of the lassup mata. they can link me to ah long and all kinds of vices. argh ptui!:oIo:

ask you a simple question and you have to bring up your siao lang child molesting history again...

go and eat your medicine lah