• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Sinkie Son Of Loser Senior Counsel Jailed For 10 Years AWOL! Father Useless Overseas

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Sinkie Son Of Loser Senior Counsel Jailed For 10 Years AWOL! Father Useless Overs

In general studying medicine abroad and then returning to do housemanship in Singapore has its challenges. There is that culture shock when you start work as a houseman. The training abroad may be different from the local training. Also you won't know the seniors - consultants, registrars, MOs.

Agreed if he/she is just another medical student. Not so when he/she is a president scholar. All the seniors would not dare harrass or make life difficult for president scholar. Some will even polumpar. All because they know that this person will rise to be above him in no time. I remembered that it was some unwritten instruction that scholars doing med must do locally (initial reason is "cost") Otherwise I think all will opt for overseas where it's so much nicer and it's free.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Sinkie Son Of Loser Senior Counsel Jailed For 10 Years AWOL! Father Useless Overs

Yes currently both dual, wife also.

Yacob's wife has dual citizenship, like their children?
His son is probably serving NS,
and I wonder whether or not he will have to renounce his other citizenship?

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

if u earn $100K in canada, I would estimate that is about $300K in purchasing power in zikapore.

not even close.
Canada has very high personal income tax rates, and a HST of 13%

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Actually, all you have to look at is Patrick Tan's case.

did he study undergrad medical school in Harvard. the answer is Yes.
Did he get a President's scholarship for his Harvard undergrad medical school study, the answer is YES.

Although PAtrick got preferential treatment, it cannot be so obvious that he is the only one in singapore eligible for overseas medical study under scholarship. I assume they spread it around but we don't know how many got it or who they are.

President's Scholar do not receive any scholarship money, just an award.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

not even close.
Canada has very high personal income tax rates, and a HST of 13%

While the income tax rates are higher, the cost of living is lower.

I usually look at the cost of a Toyota Corolla as a benchmark. It tends to be about 5 times cheaper in Canada than in Singapore.

If you look at comparable condos and houses the 5 times cost applies as well. It is the big ticket items like cars and houses that really eat into Singaporean's earnings. Cars, you still have to factor in the 10 year COE debacle. So after 10 years you need to cough up tens of thousands just to continue driving the well maintained car. Whereas in Canada if I maintain the car well, I can continue to drive it.

For houses, most properties in Singapore are 99 year leases. Meaning in 1-2 generations the property is worthless (despite the so called heavy initial price tag). It's not yours really. In Canada, it is all freehold. My kids will still have the asset and they could sell it or pass it down to their kids.

So while on paper the 5 times cost rate applies, there is far more cost to Singapore's big ticket items if you look longer into the future. Absolute rip off if you ask me.

When I was working as a PVC windows factory worker in Edmonton earning about CAD$30,000 a year before taxes, my lifestyle was better than when I was working as a family doctor in the Singapore Polyclinic.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I usually look at the cost of a Toyota Corolla as a benchmark. It tends to be about 5 times cheaper in Canada than in Singapore.

If you look at comparable condos and houses the 5 times cost applies as well. It is the big ticket items like cars and houses that really eat into Singaporean's earnings. Cars, you still have to factor in the 10 year COE debacle. So after 10 years you need to cough up tens of thousands just to continue driving the well maintained car. Whereas in Canada if I maintain the car well, I can continue to drive it.

For houses, most properties in Singapore are 99 year leases. Meaning in 1-2 generations the property is worthless (despite the so called heavy initial price tag). It's not yours really. In Canada, it is all freehold. My kids will still have the asset and they could sell it or pass it down to their kids.

So while on paper the 5 times cost rate applies, there is far more cost to Singapore's big ticket items if you look longer into the future. Absolute rip off if you ask me.

When I was working as a PVC windows factory worker in Edmonton earning about CAD$30,000 a year before taxes, my lifestyle was better than when I was working as a family doctor in the Singapore Polyclinic.

OK.
I agree with you re: motor vehicles in Singapore, and the 99 year leasehold (a big rip off, especially the govt for the huge price on HDB flats).
$30,000 per year before income taxes, in Canada is probably very challenging.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

OK.
I agree with you re: motor vehicles in Singapore, and the 99 year leasehold (a big rip off, especially the govt for the huge price on HDB flats).
$30,000 per year before income taxes, in Canada is probably very challenging.

Yes it is challenging, but it can be done.

We hardly ate out. If we did it would be KFC or Macdonalds. Sometimes Chinese restaurant (portion size very big so one dinner can stretch to next day lunch as well with the packed up leftovers)

Movies are expensive so maybe 1 movie a year.

For leisure we would toboggan (free). We also had Leisure Access card for low income families. So the recreational centre with swimming and skating was free. The Brick also gave my kids free bicycles.

For clothes and shoes we would go to Value Village https://www.valuevillage.com/ (second hand stuff) and Army and Navy http://www.armyandnavy.ca/store-locations.html cheap clothing

When my wife also started working at earning $30k a year before taxes, we got a lot more comfortable of course.

Thing is, even then we were way happier in Edmonton than in stinking Singapore. In Singapore you look at pay cheque and it looks good. But so what? Money does not buy happiness sure. But in Singapore if you have money, still not happy. If have NO MONEY, depressed and suicidal. Those of us who have left see the light. Meanwhile all the "pap is best" continue to tell themselves life is good. LOL!

Last edited:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yes it is challenging, but it can be done.

We hardly ate out. If we did it would be KFC or Macdonalds. Sometimes Chinese restaurant (portion size very big so one dinner can stretch to next day lunch as well with the packed up leftovers)

Movies are expensive so maybe 1 movie a year.

For leisure we would toboggan (free). We also had Leisure Access card for low income families. So the recreational centre with swimming and skating was free. The Brick also gave my kids free bicycles.

For clothes and shoes we would go to Value Village https://www.valuevillage.com/ (second hand stuff) and Army and Navy http://www.armyandnavy.ca/store-locations.html cheap clothing

When my wife also started working at earning $30k a year before taxes, we got a lot more comfortable of course.

Thing is, even then we were way happier in Edmonton than in stinking Singapore.

Wow, the Brick gave free bicycles to your children.

Movies on Tuesdays in Toronto was $5.

When our children were toddlers and younger, we were fortunate to receive hand me downs from friends.

I know Value Village has some great deals, sometimes new clothes, and better then they have a half price sale.

I know that the Toronto YMCA allows children to have access for little or no fees.
Saturdays are free for teenagers, and our two teenagers used to go there for the recreational facilities.
In the summer, the Good Life Fitness gyms are also free for 12 to 18 years olds.

We seldom eat out.
We do not give any allowance to our children.
They bring lunch to school, and we pay for the hot lunches on Fridays.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

Wow, the Brick gave free bicycles to your children.

Movies on Tuesdays in Toronto was $5.

When our children were toddlers and younger, we were fortunate to receive hand me downs from friends.

I know Value Village has some great deals, sometimes new clothes, and better then they have a half price sale.

I know that the Toronto YMCA allows children to have access for little or no fees.
Saturdays are free for teenagers, and our two teenagers used to go there for the recreational facilities.
In the summer, the Good Life Fitness gyms are also free for 12 to 18 years olds.

We seldom eat out.
We do not give any allowance to our children.
They bring lunch to school, and we pay for the hot lunches on Fridays.

Yup. There are ways to live on a budget in Canada. It is not luxurious, but it is very comfortable. My experience on low income was not for too long as my wife came on board to help with the finances as well.
After about 2 years I got a better job as well.
These days, I cannot imagine that we would be living like we are now. Looking back you were right. Paralysis by analysis. Good thing my wife made the decision to just take the plunge.
I just bought a 2016 Ford Expedition Max Platinum with 29,000km on it for CAD$62,000 cash. No loan. I always wanted a truck. My wife wanted a bigger car for our road trips and ski trips. Guess the Expedition makes both of us happy. It is our leisure vehicle now. And it should be able to tow a boat which my wife eventually plans to get. How much would such a car cost in Singapore? It is not available in Singapore. Life is gooooood.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yup. There are ways to live on a budget in Canada. It is not luxurious, but it is very comfortable. My experience on low income was not for too long as my wife came on board to help with the finances as well.
These days, I cannot imagine that we would be living like we are now. Looking back you were right. Paralysis by analysis. Good thing my wife made the decision to just take the plunge.
I just bought a 2016 Ford Expedition Max Platinum with 29,000km on it for CAD$62,000 cash. No loan. I always wanted a truck. My wife wanted a bigger car for our road trips and ski trips. Guess the Expedition makes both of us happy. It is our leisure vehicle now. And it should be able to tow a boat which my wife eventually plans to get. How much would such a car cost in Singapore? It is not available in Singapore. Life is gooooood.

I am happy for you.
You have done very well during your time in Canada (about 6 years now?)
Significantly better than me.
I am confident that you will be much better.
Keep it up.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

- IC is not a factor
- only parents not siblings ref immediate family

- If already issued IC before leaving singapore, he will get enlistment letter to his last know address in singapore.
- failure to respond will result in violation of the enlistment act.
- If all the family members living overseas with him renounce their sinkie citizenship, i am talking about immediate family members, then the kid eligible for NS will be allowed to also renounce. This indicates the family has no intention to return to singapore.
- If the kid reaches the age of majority in his new country and goes to renounce his singapore citizenship, it will not be accepted if his immediate family members are still sinkie shitizens and they have not renounced.
-If the kid has served NS already and then migrate to another country, and chooses to renounce his sinkie shitizenship from the new country, his renunciation will be accepted by singapore, even though he may have reservist obligations that he has not fulfilled and his parents do not need to renounce with him.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thse are not scholarships. The government previous attempts to lure overseas final year medical students back with career talks, reception etc failed. They then introduced this.

There is no overseas scholarship for medicine for those who want to practise.

I will wait for your apology.

[h=1]MOHH Pre-Employment Grant for Medicine[/h]

[h=2]1. Overview[/h] The Pre-Employment Grant (PEG) for Medicine has been designed as a financial incentive to attract more Singaporean students studying medicine overseas to return to Singapore. The grant will be offered mid-course and cover up to 60% of the remaining years of tuition fees, capped at $50,000 per year up to a maximum grant of $150,000. This grant will be available till 31 March 2016 and any extension will be reviewed at a later date.
[h=2]2. Eligibility[/h] Interested applicants must:

• Be a Singapore Citizen
  • Be enrolled in an overseas medical school recognised by the Singapore Medical Council
  • Be in the remaining years of their studies as follows:
    • Going on to 3rd or 4th year of a 4-year programme
    • Going on to 4th or 5th year of a 5-year programme
    • Going on to 4th, 5th or 6th year of a 6-year programme
[h=2]3. Funding[/h] I. The grant covers up to 60% of the annual tuition fees remaining, up to a cap.
(a) Students going into their final year of study will be eligible for the grant for only 1 year capped at $50,000.
(b) Students with 2 years of studies remaining will be eligible for the 2-year grant of up to $100,000.
(c) Students in a 6-year programme with 3 years of studies remaining will be eligible for the 3-year grant of up to $150,000.
II. The grant will not provide for living expenses.
III. Reimbursable airfare for medical electives in Singapore.
(a) Students who have not completed their medical electives (as prescribed by their school curriculum) are encouraged to pursue these medical electives in Singapore with one of the public healthcare institutions for a minimum of 2 weeks.
(b) All recipients of the pre-employment grant are eligible to receive the reimbursement.
(c) MOHH will reimburse return airfare for the purpose of the elective according to the following terms:
(i) Economy class airfare to Singapore.
(ii) The flight must be direct where possible, and stopovers due to personal reason will have to be borne by the student.
(iii) Travel by any international air carrier which provides a safe flight and offers a competitive airfare rate.
(d) Return airfare will only be reimbursed for 1 elective period only.
[h=2]4. Bond Period[/h] I. Students who undertake the Pre-Employment Grant must sign a bond to be employed with MOHH for the following duration:
(a) Students receiving the grant for 1 year will serve a bond of 3 years.
(b) Students receiving the grant for 2 and 3 years will serve a bond of 4 years.
II. The service bond will include the 1-year housemanship if it is served in Singapore, but exclude the time spent in housemanship for those who serve it overseas. Grant recipients are strongly encouraged to undertake their housemanship in Singapore.
Bond length after housemanship1-year grant
(up to $50,000)
2-year grant
(up to $100,000)
3-year grant
(up to $150,000)
Singapore housemanship2 years3 years3 years
Overseas housemanship3 years4 years4 years
III. The service bond will start upon commencement of work with MOHH.
IV. Where grant recipients are granted no-pay leave or are pursuing full-time training outside MOHH while serving the bond, MOHH will suspend the existing bond until they return to work.
V. Grant recipients who fail to complete the course of study or fulfil the terms of the bond will have to pay liquidated damages as specified in the agreement.
[h=2]5. How to Apply[/h] Applications must be made online before the stipulated closing dates. Late applications and hardcopy applications will not be accepted. PDF copies of the following documents are required for the application:

• 'A' Level certificate (or equivalent)
  • University transcripts (for applicants on graduate entry course)
  • MBBS results up to the most recent year of study
  • Awards (if applicable)
  • Passport-sized photograph not more than 2MB
Applicants are required to appoint 2 sureties. The nominees will need to fulfil the following criteria in order to qualify as a surety:

• Singapore Citizen or Singapore Permanent Resident
  • Above 21 years old and below 62 years of age
  • Gainfully employed and not a bankrupt
  • Not been a party to another existing scholarship / bursary
For more information on the PEG, please visit the MOHH website or send your enquiries to [email protected].

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

- IC is not a factor
- only parents not siblings ref immediate family

Pardon me, I do not understand?
"only parents not siblings ref immediate family"

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Yacob's wife has dual citizenship, like their children?
His son is probably serving NS,
and I wonder whether or not he will have to renounce his other citizenship?

The son is super white horse. For peasants, u must choose to renounce one citizenship. For the son, anything is possible. I know on case where the son was ordered to renounce his US citizenship even after doing NS. When they went to the US consulate to renounce, they were asked the reason. Whne they found out it was the sinkie govt that forced the son to renounce, the US consulate refused to accept the renunciation and even wrote a letter to ICA that they don't accept this kind of pressure on their citizen to renounce. After the letter was shown to the sinkie authorities the demand to renounce the US citizenship was dropped and the whole matter quietly buried. SO somewhere in zikapore, there are males legally walking around with 2 citizenships, both allowed by the govt.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The son is super white horse. For peasants, u must choose to renounce one citizenship. For the son, anything is possible. I know on case where the son was ordered to renounce his US citizenship even after doing NS. When they went to the US consulate to renounce, they were asked the reason. Whne they found out it was the sinkie govt that forced the son to renounce, the US consulate refused to accept the renunciation and even wrote a letter to ICA that they don't accept this kind of pressure on their citizen to renounce. After the letter was shown to the sinkie authorities the demand to renounce the US citizenship was dropped and the whole matter quietly buried. SO somewhere in zikapore, there are males legally walking around with 2 citizenships, both allowed by the govt.

I have not read any news on where Yacob's son serve his NS.
It will be interesting to see whether he continues to hold dual citizenship.
I doubt Yacob's wife became a SG citizen.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

I never considered that, but that is probably accurate. Currently, a Toyota Corolla Altis cost about $100K including COE. Your 5 to 1 ratio would indicate that a Toyota Corolla in canada is about $20K. In fact, the canadian toyota corolla in many ways is superior to the singapore version due to the larger engine 1.8 L versus 1.6L in the sinkie version, and the side curtain airbags and traction control which is not available in the sinkie version. the sinkie version in theory has a better transmission, but really in singapore, when do u use all 7 speeds in the tranny.

After ten years, u need to pay another $100K for replacement Corolla (assuming the prices remain the same) to drive it for another ten years. But in canada, a well maintained Corolla would easily last 20 years and more then 300,000 km. So, after 20 years, your capital cost for your Corolla in Canada is still at $20K, while its $200k in singapore. U have to pay a hell of a lot more in taxes in Canada to equal $180K extra that you paid for just this car alone.

most properties, meaning HDB in Singapore are not 99 year lease. They are 99 year prepaid rentals. And the HDB will never allow them to last 2 generations because they are not build to last that long. I think at the most 50 years will past before they kick you out and move you to a new estate. If a high rise concrete building that is freehold in Canada can last 80 years, then during that time, a sinkie would likely end up purchasing a HDB flat twice over. As well a freehold condo property has residual land value, even after the building falls down, the land is worth something. Not so for HDBs.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

I have not read any news on where Yacob's son serve his NS.
It will be interesting to see whether he continues to hold dual citizenship.
I doubt Yacob's wife became a SG citizen.

Yaacock's wife took singapore citizenship, but she did not give up her US passport. She is quite active in the malay community, going to quite a few events. I ever ask my malay friends before, the malay community must be damn malu. here is a malay sinkie minister, who thinks so lowly of his own community that he will not marry a fellow malay muslim woman (even one from malaysia is acceptable), but goes all the way to US to marry a roman catholic puerto rican woman. How does the malay community feel when one of its leaders cannot even be bothered to marry within his own community?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

may I ask U have this lifestyle on how much household income? I mean a big truck, another car for wife, boat, etc are only dreams for the average sinkie.