• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Sinkie Son Of Loser Senior Counsel Jailed For 10 Years AWOL! Father Useless Overseas

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Re: Sinkie Son Of Loser Senior Counsel Jailed For 10 Years AWOL! Father Useless Overs

papsmearer, that was AFTER Dr Allan Ooi passed away lah. Back in his time there is no such scholarship.

In any case, it is not really a scholarship.

Interested applicants must:

Be a Singapore Citizen
be enrolled in an overseas medical school recognised by the Singapore Medical Council
Be in the remaining years of their studies as follows:
Going on to 3rd or 4th year of a 4-year programme
Going on to 4th or 5th year of a 5-year programme
Going on to 4th, 5th or 6th year of a 6-year programme

This scheme came up not long ago to entice students who are ALREADY overseas to go back to Singapore.

No apology from me. I studied in NUS Medical School and I know what I am talking about. You on the other hand are using your imagination and writing fiction.

Many of the LSA (Local Study Award) SAF Medical Officers, signed on and accepted the scholarship because it was an offer of a guaranteed place in NUS Medicine and a guarantee of deferment of NS. The rest of us, were sure enough we did not want to serve with the SAF and took our chances with the general pool for a place in NUS medicine.

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Re: Sinkie Son Of Loser Senior Counsel Jailed For 10 Years AWOL! Father Useless Overs

Canterbury is for Engineering

Yes, he later combined his engineering background with his law background to be very successful in that segment of the law. He represented a lot of big construction companies because he understood the engineering concepts. one of his client was Aviva who caused the collapse of the MRT tunnel.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

papsmearer, that was AFTER Dr Allan Ooi passed away lah. Back in his time there is no such scholarship.

In any case, it is not really a scholarship.

Interested applicants must:

Be a Singapore Citizen
be enrolled in an overseas medical school recognised by the Singapore Medical Council
Be in the remaining years of their studies as follows:
Going on to 3rd or 4th year of a 4-year programme
Going on to 4th or 5th year of a 5-year programme
Going on to 4th, 5th or 6th year of a 6-year programme

This scheme came up not long ago to entice students who are ALREADY overseas to go back to Singapore.

No apology from me. I studied in NUS Medical School and I know what I am talking about. You on the other hand are using your imagination and writing fiction.

Many of the LSA (Local Study Award) SAF Medical Officers, signed on and accepted the scholarship because it was an offer of a guaranteed place in NUS Medicine and a guarantee of deferment of NS. The rest of us, were sure enough we did not want to serve with the SAF and took our chances with the general pool for a place in NUS medicine.

my sis in law, also an nus med grad like my bro, was offered overseas med grad scholarship by moh with a 8-year bond. she declined as she's married with kids and did not want to be away from family as my bro was still serving out his bond with moh. my bro finally broke bond by loaning money from parents and started his clinic. there was overseas post grad med scholarship decades ago as far as i know. info exchange is best pooled from several anecdotal and personal sources called the community rather than from single sources of "authority". usually, info from so called single sources of "authority" is fatally flawed in this internet and intranet age, as more peeps in the know or with experiences start to contribute.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

my sis in law, also an nus med grad like my bro, was offered overseas med grad scholarship by moh with a 8-year bond. she declined as she's married with kids and did not want to be away from family as my bro was still serving out his bond with moh. my bro finally broke bond by loaning money from parents and started his clinic. there was overseas post grad med scholarship decades ago as far as i know. info exchange is best pooled from several anecdotal and personal sources called the community rather than from single sources of "authority". usually, info from so called single sources of "authority" is fatally flawed in this internet and intranet age, as more peeps in the know or with experiences start to contribute.

what did they call that MOH scholarship offered to your sister in law? You're talking about scholarship for undergrad medical school right? Not post-grad. What year was that?

I have never heard of 8 year bond scholarship for undergrad. Unless your sis-in-law is Malaysian? But then those ASEAN scholars also go NUS. So why didn't your own brother apply for such a scholarship?

It is strange when you can bring up all these anecdotal accounts of rare things with regularity.

Anyway Dr Allan Ooi's time wasn't too far from my time. And I can understand what happened to him. Papsmearer's account that he was dulan about other doctors who got overseas scholarship is probably off the mark. Unless your bro and sis in law are the same cohort as Dr Allan Ooi's?

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

what did they call that MOH scholarship offered to your sister in law? You're talking about scholarship for undergrad medical school right? Not post-grad. What year was that?

I have never heard of 8 year bond scholarship for undergrad. Unless your sis-in-law is Malaysian? But then those ASEAN scholars also go NUS. So why didn't your own brother apply for such a scholarship?

It is strange when you can bring up all these anecdotal accounts of rare things with regularity.

Anyway Dr Allan Ooi's time wasn't too far from my time. And I can understand what happened to him. Papsmearer's account that he was dulan about other doctors who got overseas scholarship is probably off the mark. Unless your bro and sis in law are the same cohort as Dr Allan Ooi's?

Tony Tan's son patrick Tan was awarded a President Scholarship to study Medicine at Harvard.

From the PSC website, clearly indicating overseas study of medicine is covered under PSC scholarship:

[FONT=&quot]President’s Scholarship[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A very small number of full-term Medicine and Dentistry undergraduate scholarships will continue to be offered to those awarded the President’s Scholarship, which allows full flexibility in the course of study both locally and overseas. In your PSC scholarship application, you should indicate your interest to read Medicine or Dentistry under the career and course preferences section. This would provide the interview panel a more accurate understanding of your academic and career preferences. If you do not obtain a place to study Medicine or Dentistry, you can still be considered for a PSC scholarship to read other courses.[/FONT]

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

Ok papsmearer. I apologize.

You were right. Dr Allan Ooi was just tulan with the other doctors who got scholarships to study medicine overseas.

I wonder where those doctors are now?

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yaacock also did similar thing by marrying an American Puerto Rican girl while posted to the US. Subsequently all kids hild US shitizenships and can sponsor old Yourcock when he retires.

Does his children still hold on to US citizenship and SG citizenship?

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

People earning millions of dollars may pay low personal income tax, but they are delusional if they think they pay low taxes. If you are one of those kinds of people, you change a new Merc S class every year, you live in a bungalow, you eat good food, all of which are many times more expensive in singapore then in canada. Just one new Merc S class is easily $200K more then in canada, petrol also more, a similar size bungalow might cost $4 million in singapore but $1 million in canada. all this is hidden taxes. In the end, the guy earning millions in singapore could in theory be paying more in overall taxes then then guy in canada earning the same amount.

I am not in that category.
Not earning $1 million a year, not driving any Mercedes.
Just like to eat good nutritionally balanced meals.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

no, post-grad. like i mentioned she like my bro graduated from nus in medicine. that's how they met and got married later. in u.s. here we refer to it as graduate studies. for her, it was a scholarship offer for specialization in pediatrics. no they are not in the same batch as dr. ooi. much earlier. i specialize in rare and weird things. no point posting mundane stuff here unless pap is the best. otherwise life is too boring.

Last edited:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

no, post-grad. like i mentioned she like my bro graduated from nus in medicine. that's how they met and got married later. in u.s. here we refer to it as graduate studies. for her, it was a scholarship offer for specialization in pediatrics. no they are not in the same batch as dr. ooi. much earlier. i specialize in rare and weird things. no point posting mundane stuff here unless pap is the best. otherwise life is too boring.

So the 8 year scholarship is for POST-GRAD specialization in pediatrics? Aiyah, then we are talking about different things lah.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You were right. Dr Allan Ooi was just tulan with the other doctors who got scholarships to study medicine overseas.

by the way, bright young rich kids commit suicide for rare, strange and weird reasons. not too long ago, a stanford grad with masters in e.e. and c.s.e. was heavily recruited to work with startup on apps for the ios. months into his job everybody around him thought highly of him because of his qualifications, work ethic, results, products, hard work, etc. even apple, facebook and google tried to poach him. all of a sudden he disappeared leaving his wallet and phone behind in his swanky apartment in sf. his body was found days later floating by a pier. until now it remains a mystery why he died. autopsy revealed drowning and no foul play. no gf, no bf, no other so called emotional attachments. perhaps, he tulan too for missing a small bug in his software app?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

So the 8 year scholarship is for POST-GRAD specialization in pediatrics? Aiyah, then we are talking about different things lah.

yup yup. we two must talk more. otherwise confusing. but not so confusing is pap is the best.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

I am not in that category.
Not earning $1 million a year, not driving any Mercedes.
Just like to eat good nutritionally balanced meals.

if u earn $100K in canada, I would estimate that is about $300K in purchasing power in zikapore.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Actually, all you have to look at is Patrick Tan's case.

did he study undergrad medical school in Harvard. the answer is Yes.
Did he get a President's scholarship for his Harvard undergrad medical school study, the answer is YES.

Although PAtrick got preferential treatment, it cannot be so obvious that he is the only one in singapore eligible for overseas medical study under scholarship. I assume they spread it around but we don't know how many got it or who they are.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

Did he get a President's scholarship for his Harvard undergrad medical school study, the answer is YES.

Although PAtrick got preferential treatment, it cannot be so obvious that he is the only one in singapore eligible for overseas medical study under scholarship. I assume they spread it around but we don't know how many got it or who they are.

President scholars who did medicine in my Year and the year after both did it in NUS.

Patrick Tan not a practicing physician. So maybe some of those guys in research would have this scheme open to them. But I have yet to know any practicing physician or surgeon who got a Singapore scholarship to study medicine as undergrad abroad.

My RI classmate did not get into NUS medical school served his NS then went to Cambridge. Did very well in first year. He got scholarship from Cambridge to finish the rest of his medical school there. He returned to Singapore to do housemanship. He is now an orthopaedic surgeon.

Otherwise I have not heard of any big wig doctors who got such overseas medical school scholarships. Even all the MPs and ministers all local NUS Med school grads.

Hen Viv all the eye guys KPK all local. Was Viv a president scholar?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

Come to think of it, even Dr Lee Wei Ling, also studied at NUS med school as President Scholar, along with 2 others who became Professors in Pediatrics.

http://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/to-what-end-all-the-presidents-scholars

I wondered why so few or maybe none? have chosen to go abroad to study medicine on Singapore President Scholarships.

Then it dawned on me.

Let me offer some reasons why choosing to study medicine abroad is unpopular among President Scholars.

For the male President Scholars, they would inevitably be candidates for the Chief of Medical Corp position in the SAF. It is a one star general position. Pretty good. These scholars tend to work closely with their Local Study Award scholars who might be their classmates in medical school (other future COL in Medical Corps). So networking with them in NUS med school would be good for their careers.

In general studying medicine abroad and then returning to do housemanship in Singapore has its challenges. There is that culture shock when you start work as a houseman. The training abroad may be different from the local training. Also you won't know the seniors - consultants, registrars, MOs.

In fact the local grads tend to be wary of the foreign grads during housemanship.

Of course if you have no plans to practice at all eg Patrick Tan and just need an MD for the sake of opening research opportunities then it is a different story altogether.