• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious No malfunction in escalator, says SMRT after 4 commuters fall

AsiaDK

Alfrescian
Loyal
No malfunction in escalator, says SMRT after 4 commuters fall at Bishan station http://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...smrt-after-4-commuters-fall-at-bishan-station

Four women aged between 50 and 60 years old fell while riding on an escalator at Bishan MRT station on Sunday (Jan 8) morning. A witness to the incident, which happened at around 11.10am, said the escalator allegedly changed direction abruptly without warning.

On Nov 12 last year, a 64-year-old man fell backwards while riding an escalator at Bishan MRT station. The retiree suffered serious head injuries, and has since been in a coma.

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
No malfunction in escalator, says SMRT after 4 commuters fall at Bishan station http://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...smrt-after-4-commuters-fall-at-bishan-station

Four women aged between 50 and 60 years old fell while riding on an escalator at Bishan MRT station on Sunday (Jan 8) morning. A witness to the incident, which happened at around 11.10am, said the escalator allegedly changed direction abruptly without warning.

On Nov 12 last year, a 64-year-old man fell backwards while riding an escalator at Bishan MRT station. The retiree suffered serious head injuries, and has since been in a coma.

Waiting for blood to be shed before they take action

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It was unwise for smrt to quote no malfunction in escalator. They could have quoted malfunction with the elderly which is acceptable.

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
It was unwise for smrt to quote no malfunction in escalator. They could have quoted malfunction with the elderly which is acceptable.

since when was pap and smrt wise?

TLCs and GLCs have the same unwise troubling solving skills as the pap. They come up with same unwise reasons

Last edited:

fupikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Waiting for blood to be shed before they take action

So if SMRT keep on denying liability, what can aunties and uncles do? Get a lawyer to sue them?

....blood already drawn when uncle fell backwards due to escalator reversing, broke his head and now in coma. Can some helpful pro bono help?

....haaaiii...unfortunately, in Singapore, to get a pro bono is tarn ku ku.....:eek:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... Four women aged between 50 and 60 years old fell while riding on an escalator at Bishan MRT station on Sunday (Jan 8) morning. A witness to the incident, which happened at around 11.10am, said the escalator allegedly changed direction abruptly without warning ...
smrt shud soo dat witness 4 anyhow say malicious slander ...

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

There is nothing wrong with the escalator. The problem is with sinkies. They lead such unhealthy lives that a 50 year old staggers around like someone 20 years older.

If they had more exercise and ate more healthily these sorts of falls would not happen.

Try these exercises to improve ones balance.

https://eldergym.com/elderly-balance-problems.html

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
http://www.seniorcitizensguide.com/articles/health/balance-problems.htm

[h=1]Balance Problems[/h][h=2]About Balance Problems[/h]Roughly 9 percent of adults who are 65 and older report having problems with balance. Having good balance means being able to control and maintain your body's position, whether you are moving or remaining still.
An intact sense of balance helps you:

• Walk without staggering.
  • Get up from a chair without falling.
  • Climb stairs without tripping.
Good balance is important to help you get around, stay independent, and carry out daily activities. Disturbances of the inner ear are the main cause of balance problems. People feel unsteady or as if they were moving, spinning, or floating.
Vertigo, the feeling that you or the things around you are spinning, is also a common symptom. Experts believe that more than 40 percent of Americans will experience dizziness that is serious enough to go to a doctor.
Balance disorders are one reason older people fall. Falls and fall-related injuries, such as hip fracture, can have a serious impact on an older person's life. If you fall, it could limit your activities or make it impossible to live independently. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than one-third of adults ages 65 years and older fall each year. Among older adults, falls are the leading cause of injury deaths.
[h=2]Causes and Prevention[/h]People are more likely to have problems with balance as they get older. But age is not the only reason these problems occur; there are other causes, too. In some cases, you can help reduce your risk for certain balance problems. Have you ever felt dizzy, lightheaded, or as if the room were spinning around you? These can be very troublesome sensations. If the feeling happens often, it could be a sign of a balance problem. Balance problems are among the most common reasons that older adults seek help from a doctor.
Some balance disorders are caused by problems in the inner ear. Others may involve another part of the body, such as the brain or the heart. Aging, infections, head injury, certain medicines, or problems with blood circulation may result in a balance problem.
Your diet and lifestyle can help you manage certain balance-related problems. For example, Ménière's disease, which causes vertigo and other balance and hearing problems, is linked to a change in the volume of fluid in the inner ear.
By eating low-salt or salt-free foods, and steering clear of caffeine and alcohol, you can make its symptoms less severe. Balance problems due to high blood pressure can be managed by eating less sodium, maintaining a healthy weight, and exercising.
[h=2]Symptoms and Diagnosis[/h]Some people may have a balance problem without realizing it. Others might think they have a problem, but are too embarrassed to tell their doctor, friends, or family. You can help identify a possible balance problem by asking yourself some key questions and, if necessary, having your balance checked by a doctor.
Balance disorders can be difficult to diagnose because patients sometimes find it hard to describe their symptoms to a doctor. Patients may use words such as "dizzy," "woozy," or "lightheaded" to describe what they are feeling. For some people, the feeling can be brief, while for others, it can last a long time, disrupting their daily lives.
Balance disorders are serious. Sometimes they are a sign of other health problems, such as those affecting the brain, the heart, or circulation of the blood. They are also one cause of falls and fall-related injuries in older people. For these reasons, it is important to have a potential balance disorder diagnosed and treated as soon as possible.
Ask yourself the following questions. If you answer "yes" to any of these questions, you should discuss the symptom with your doctor.

• Do I feel unsteady?
  • Do I feel as if the room is "spinning" around me?
  • Do I feel as if I'm moving when I know I'm standing or sitting still?
  • Do I lose my balance and fall?
  • Do I feel as if I'm falling?
  • Do I feel "lightheaded," or as if I might faint?
  • Does my vision become blurred?
  • Do I ever feel disoriented, losing my sense of time, place, or identity?
If you think that you have a balance disorder, you should schedule an appointment with your family doctor. You can help your doctor make a diagnosis by writing down key information about your dizziness or balance problem beforehand and giving the information to your doctor during the visit. Tell your doctor as much as you can.
Your doctor may refer you to an otolaryngologist. This doctor and surgeon has special training in problems of the ear, nose, throat, head, and neck. An otolaryngologist may ask you for your medical history and perform a physical examination to help figure out the possible causes of the balance disorder. He or she may also perform tests to determine the cause and extent of the problem.
Editorial provided by the National Institute of Health, http://nihseniorhealth.gov.

fupikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
maybe they bought the wrong tickets or got on the wrong line and the escalator sensed it.

.... or maybe the uncles & aunties ate the wrong food and so happened the food got one female and one male worm. You know, they go into the stomach, nothing to do and so they copulated. Then, many many eggs got laid, many many worms came out and all live happily in the intestines. That day when aunties and uncles wanted to go up the escalators, the worms decided that instead of going up, they wanted to dig in, go down, so all rush towards the rectum....

... the result, aunties and uncles unbalanced and then they fell backwards.....so possible, right?:biggrin:

.... but then, one case smrt go scot free (Nov 2016, uncle fell, broke head and coma till now),..... unfortunately, cases 2,3,4,5 happened on 6 Jan 2017. So this time smrt also got off scot free ahhh????

Where is the common sense by just saying no malfunction with the escalators?

.... in nature, coincidences do not occur so frequently, man. :eek:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
escalator choked and went into revulsion after inadvertently looking up at those fugly lau kway bu's.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
At least the escalator didn't "eat" a passenger like what happened in china :eek:

df460b8fcb674b6eadafa5c79f69c81c.gif

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
maybe they bought the wrong tickets or got on the wrong line and the escalator sensed it.

Yalor. Where got malfunction?
Just as there are no unemployed people - only "discouraged" job seekers.
There never have been any floods - just small pockets of water which result in "ponding"