• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Pioneer Sinkie Nearly Killed By Collapsed Ceiling! HDB Gives 50% Goodwill Repair Cost

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
concrete1.jpg

SINGAPORE - An elderly man suffered scrapes and cuts after a concrete slab fell from the ceiling of his daughter's flat and landed just next to him.

The 80-year-old was staying over at his daughter's flat in Yishun Ring Road when the incident occurred on Friday (Jan 6), Shin Min Daily News reported on Sunday (Jan 8).

It was about 9pm, and he was using the toilet attached to the master bedroom in the flat.

As he stood up from the toilet bowl, a slab of concrete fell close to him, right in front of the basin, he told the Chinese evening daily.

It was so close that the slab slashed through his clothing and cut the side of his left knee. One of his toes was also injured.

"If I had walked to the basin one second earlier, it could have hit my head," he told Shin Min.

He has seen a doctor and received a tetanus jab as a precaution, he said.

His daughter said that the flat is more than 30 years old and has not undergone upgrading under the Home Improvement Programme.

She said that officers from the Housing & Development Board (HDB) have visited the flat to check the ceilings.

It is understood that pieces of concrete also fell from the unit's other toilet, and the kitchen ceiling has signs of unevenness.

There is spalling concrete in the master bedroom toilet of the flat but the structural integrity has not been affected, HDB said in a reply to Shin Min.

The flat owner has accepted HDB's subsidy to repair the spalling concrete under the Goodwill Repair Assistance Scheme. Under the scheme, the owner and HDB will share the cost of repair equally.

Spalling concrete is a common issue for older buildings, according to HDB's website. Steel bars embedded in the ceiling start to corrode after a long period of time, which in turn causes the concrete to crack and bulge.

If attended to quickly, the building's structural integrity will not be affected. However, it can spread and weaken the building structure if left unattended.

HDB also suggests opening the windows and doors in wet areas so that air can circulate, as humidity will hasten the spalling process.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/concrete-slab-falls-in-yishun-flat-cuts-elderly-mans-leg

retrenched

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Pioneer Sinkie Nearly Killed By Collapsed Ceiling! HDB Gives 50% Goodwill Repair

i am sure he voted for...

butoh6050

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Pioneer Sinkie Nearly Killed By Collapsed Ceiling! HDB Gives 50% Goodwill Repair

HDB is not going to freely offer the goodwill repair assistance unless they feel it is their fault and that the tenants may take them to court.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

O&M is not factored in buildings of Singapore. So this is only the tip of the iceberg. When enbloc stops due to no enough money, more will happen.

There is no proper inspection of buildings before and after construction. Using stooopid laws of do not hack the main walls is the kind of fu manchu mentality of 256kb elite minds. Other human brains operate at 2.5 petabytes.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

the ceiling couldn't bear to stare at the ugly bathroom anymore and decided to commit suicide.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal

the ceiling couldn't bear to stare at the ugly bathroom anymore and decided to commit suicide.

More like ceiling see daughter everyday then the old man came in instead. Heart break.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

More like ceiling see daughter everyday then the old man came in instead. Heart break.

i would break down and suffer a collapse too if i'm stuck up there powerless to watch that old man strip naked.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal

HDB is not going to freely offer the goodwill repair assistance unless they feel it is their fault and that the tenants may take them to court.

since when will this sort of defect the fault of tenant??????????? ceiling falling is as serious as sky falling!!
I will refuse co payment repair and sue HDB in SCT.............. assholes

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

i would break down and suffer a collapse too if i'm stuck up there powerless to watch that old man strip naked.

Is that one of those orgasm breakdown where yr legs go wobbly n u shoot for the skies? The ah pek must hv weild jedi powder over you.