• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Spectacles

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I travel often & take advantage of my travels to get cheaper prices.

For example I've never had a haircut in Spore for the last 10+ years & I keep my hair short :smile: I go to the barber & not a saloon. Have had my haircuts in Thailand, Indonesia & Malaysia.

Whenever I am in BKK I always make a visit to MBK to eat there, window shop , get some exercise. Same, same with Siam Paragon. So while I am there why not get a pair of spectacles AND take advantage of cheaper prices AND a VAT refund when I leave Thailand:confused:

I don't have to be penny pincher but you have to admit that Spore prices are getting ridiculous.

How much is the VAT refund? Never realize that was available.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yup, posted pics of them in a couple of threads by claire. there are 2 brands: jimbo and or fei loong with a flying horse symbol. made in sg. $4.50 per short. white ones have disappeared. only grey and blue ones are sold in hdb sundry shops. if i can find the factory i will buy it. old lady selling them tells me they are made in seamstresses' homes by elderly sinkie ladies. they are dying off, and the shorts will soon be history. i've bought everyone i could on last trip, but not the xxxl size as my butt is firm, perky and great for grabbing.

You can take a pair to a tailor shop in BKK & ask them to make a copy :smile:

Over 10+ year ago I got a few pair of trousers & shirts from a tailor there & they are still in great shape. I still use the shirt on a regular basis.
The better tailors in BKK can offer you materials made in Thailand & Europe.

I got pants made from both & I would recommend sticking to the materials made in europe because the weave is smaller giving the pants a softer texture. My tailored pants are wool garbadine & I wash them with my other clothes in a washing machine without any problems.

If you decide to get a tailored clothes I suggest you talk to the tailor about what you expect because they can customise to your spec. I had my trousers made with extra pockets for lose change. Also had them lined. The thing to know is be aware is that they can cut corners if you don't let them know what you want & willing to pay :wink:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You can take a pair to a tailor shop in BKK & ask them to make a copy :smile:

Over 10+ year ago I got a few pair of trousers & shirts from a tailor there & they are still in great shape. I still use the shirt on a regular basis.
The better tailors in BKK can offer you materials made in Thailand & Europe.

I got pants made from both & I would recommend sticking to the materials made in europe because the weave is smaller giving the pants a softer texture. My tailored pants are wool garbadine & I wash them with my other clothes in a washing machine without any problems.

If you decide to get a tailored clothes I suggest you talk to the tailor about what you expect because they can customise to your spec. I had my trousers made with extra pockets for lose change. Also had them lined. The thing to know is be aware is that they can cut corners if you don't let them know what you want & willing to pay :wink:

last thing i wish to do in thighland is to ask thigh tailor to reproduce aged jimbo boxer shorts. i'm eccentric, but not that insanely eccentric.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How much is the VAT refund? Never realize that was available.

Not all shops offer this. Those that offer refunds usually have some sticker advertising in front to indicate that VAT refunds are available. To qualify for a VAT refund items must also satisfy a certain price amount. I didn't know this initially when I tried to claim a VAT refund for a pair of shoes. The value of the shoes was too low :o

One of the reasons I went to the MBK store is because they provide the necessary paper work you will need to show at the airport to get your VAT refind.
Can read about it here http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/1387-vat-refunds

Basically you have to go to 2 VAT Refund counters. Once before you check in to the airline, then after you've checked in. 1st go to the counter before checking in to you show them the paperwork & item you are claiming for. The counter is at one corner of Suvarnabhumu airport.

After you check-in & pass through immigration there is another VAT Refund counter inside the protected area, where only passengers are allowed to enter. You show them the documents & item you are taking out. They will then give you the refund in baht.

Last edited:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not all shops offer this. Those that offer refunds usually have some sticker advertising in front to indicate that VAT refunds are available. To qualify for a VAT refund items must also satisfy a certain price amount. I didn't know this initially when I tried to claim a VAT refund for a pair of shoes. The value of the shoes was too low :o

One of the reasons I went to the MBK store is because they provide the necessary paper work you will need to show at the airport to get your VAT refind.
Can read about it here http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/1387-vat-refunds

Basically you have to go to 2 VAT Refund counters. Once before you check in to the airline, then after you've checked in. 1st go to the counter before checking in to you show them the paperwork & item you are claiming for. The counter is at one corner of Suvarnabhumu airport.

After you check-in & pass through immigration there is another VAT Refund counter inside the protected area, where only passengers are allowed to enter. You show them the documents & item you are taking out. They will then give you the refund in baht.

Thanks for the info. Will check that out next time when I shop at BKK.