• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Spectacles

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Maybe...Singapore is doomed under pap

Life in sinkapore is going to be tough as a sovereign state. It needs to be a part of a bigger entity. That sinkapore became independent was the work of an egoistic person who wanted to run a state. Since he could not run Malaya, he settled for tiny dot. He made sinkees' lives tough while he and his family enjoyed the fruits of the labour of sinkees.

It is time to evaluate our options.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you have found a decent optician in Spore but still want to save $. You can continue to get a pair from Spore. Then get the prescriptions from your Spore opticians & use it to make a 2nd pair in JB or Thailand.

I always make sure that I have 2 pairs of spectacles. I always keep one as a backup because my prescription is bad & they usually need 1 week to make a pair. When I got my spectacles from Issac they had to order the lens from HK .

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you have found a decent optician in Spore but still want to save $. You can continue to get a pair from Spore. Then get the prescriptions from your Spore opticians & use it to make a 2nd pair in JB or Thailand.

I always make sure that I have 2 pairs of spectacles. I always keep one as a backup because my prescription is bad & they usually need 1 week to make a pair. When I got my spectacles from Issac they had to order the lens from HK .

Which shop did you make your specs in Thailand?
How long is the waiting and do they have only plastic or glass lens?

archcherub

Alfrescian
Loyal

oh thats a good advice to have 2 pairs.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Which shop did you make your specs in Thailand?
How long is the waiting and do they have only plastic or glass lens?

I used the prescription I got from Spore & went to the Optical 88 branch at MBK. It on in the ground floor. They used to offer glass lenses but now only offer plastic lenses. I went with Hoya because they had the thinnest lenses. I got them with an Ich Berlin titanium frame http://www.ic-berlin.de/en_GB

There is a small optician store at Sukhumvit between soi 4 & 6 or is it 7?, that sells lenses made of glass. It is not the Top Charon store that are also in that area. . The store is family owned & the owner confirmed that glass lenses are available even for the extreme myopia. Glass lenses are manufactured in Thailand.

For those with serious myopia they need at least 1 week to make a pair.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I used the prescription I got from Spore & went to the Optical 88 branch at MBK. It on in the ground floor. They used to offer glass lenses but now only offer plastic lenses. I went with Hoya because they had the thinnest lenses. I got them with an Ich Berlin titanium frame http://www.ic-berlin.de/en_GB

There is a small optician store at Sukhumvit between soi 4 & 6 or is it 7?, that sells lenses made of glass. It is not the Top Charon store that are also in that area. . The store is family owned & the owner confirmed that glass lenses are available even for the extreme myopia. Glass lenses are manufactured in Thailand.

For those with serious myopia they need at least 1 week to make a pair.

might as well move permanently to thighland. your life has becum penny pinching to the max. it's miserable.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
might as well move permanently to thighland. your life has becum penny pinching to the max. it's miserable.

I travel often & take advantage of my travels to get cheaper prices.

For example I've never had a haircut in Spore for the last 10+ years & I keep my hair short :smile: I go to the barber & not a saloon. Have had my haircuts in Thailand, Indonesia & Malaysia.

Whenever I am in BKK I always make a visit to MBK to eat there, window shop , get some exercise. Same, same with Siam Paragon. So while I am there why not get a pair of spectacles AND take advantage of cheaper prices AND a VAT refund when I leave Thailand:confused:

I don't have to be penny pincher but you have to admit that Spore prices are getting ridiculous.

Last edited:

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal

For example I've never had a haircut in Spore for the last 10+ years & I keep my hair short :smile: I go to the barber & not a saloon. Have had my haircuts in Thailand, Indonesia & Malaysia.

Whenever I am in BKK I always make a visit to MBK to eat there, window shop , get some exercise. Same, same with Siam Paragon. So while I am there why not get a pair of spectacles AND take advantage of cheaper prices AND a VAT refund when you leave the Thailand:confused:

I don't have to be penny pincher but you have to admit that Spore prices are getting ridiculous.

Singapore's high rentals and various taxes are killing businesses in SG

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My friend told me rental is so high in SG that all spectacle shops in Singapore send their orders to be made in JB
rentals of sinkielan spectacles shop is a spectacle, spectacles made in jb is spectacular ...

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Whenever I am in BKK I always make a visit to MBK to eat there, window shop , get some exercise. Same, same with Siam Paragon. So while I am there why not get a pair of spectacles AND take advantage of cheaper prices AND a VAT refund when I leave Thailand:confused:

i make frequent trips to sg specially to buy made in sg jimbo or feiloong boxer shorts. they don't have them where i am.

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i went to Goldcoast australia and many Javanese (Jakarta / Surabaya / Semarang) tourists told me that Goldcoast is cheaper than Singapore and airtickets from Jakarta to Brisbane are cheaper than to Singapore.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore make shorts? which factory in SG arh?

yup, posted pics of them in a couple of threads by claire. there are 2 brands: jimbo and or fei loong with a flying horse symbol. made in sg. $4.50 per short. white ones have disappeared. only grey and blue ones are sold in hdb sundry shops. if i can find the factory i will buy it. old lady selling them tells me they are made in seamstresses' homes by elderly sinkie ladies. they are dying off, and the shorts will soon be history. i've bought everyone i could on last trip, but not the xxxl size as my butt is firm, perky and great for grabbing.

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
yup, posted pics of them in a couple of threads by claire. there are 2 brands: jimbo and or fei loong with a flying horse symbol. made in sg. $4.50 per short. white ones have disappeared. only grey and blue ones are sold in hdb sundry shops. if i can find the factory i will buy it. old lady selling them tells me they are made in seamstresses' homes by elderly sinkie ladies. they are dying off, and the shorts will soon be history. i've bought everyone i could on last trip, but not the xxxl size as my butt is firm, perky and great for grabbing.

I am surprised that such a factory can survive in SG

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am surprised that such a factory can survive in SG

can't find fei loong brand in sg anymore. jimbo brand is still around heartland shops if you dig deep enough into the crotch. my old white jimbo shorts.....

IMG_3819.JPG

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
can't find anymore white ones, thus resort to grey ones. but they like the white ones are aging grey (no pun intended).

IMG_3820.JPG