• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat [NZ News] Indians can't rent home as landlords fear they will cook smelly curries

grandtour

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3998442/New-Zealand-Indian-couple-t-rent-home-landlords-fear-ll-cook-smelly-curries.html#

Newlywed Indian couple say they can't get a home to rent because landlords fear they will cook smelly curries

Indian couple in New Zealand moved cities from Auckland to Tauranga
Arun and Poonam Kaushish have struggled to find a home to rent
The wedded couple were told people were concerned they will cook curry
Landlords are reportedly worried the smell will cause houses to stink
They've been forced to live in a boarding house for the past seven months

An Indian couple who have spent months trying to find a home have been told landlords don't want them because of fears they will make a house stink from cooking curries.

Newlyweds Arun, 31, and Poonam, 29, Kaushish moved from Auckland to Tauranga in New Zealand in May, but more than 30 rental applications later they are still living in a boarding home.

Friends in the real estate industry had told them it was likely due to fears that the smell of curries was hard to get out of a house, the New Zealand Herald said.

'We have everything a person needs to get a rental ... I have good pay, good reference and good credit ... but we can't get a house at the moment; we are feeling very sad,' he said.

The retail store manager said between them, he and his wife earned about $1300 per week.

Although he'd been told the housing market was tight in Tauranga, he said he was told the same in Auckland and had no problem finding a home to rent.

His fears were backed up by a real estate agent from the city - who wished to remain anonymous - but told the NZ Herald: 'Owners of the properties have very strict guidelines on the condition of their house and that's the reason they are trying to avoid people of certain ethnicities'.

Often, people of Indian and Asian descent had been asked by landlords what sort of cooking they did.

However, he said homes were cleaned well so they didn't smell and as a last resort, losing rental bond money was an incentive to keep a home clean.

But another a real estate agency, Anton Jones, said the market was tight and that he'd also struggled to find somewhere to live and had to make up to five applications before finding a home.

The country's Human Rights Commission had infrequently received complaints about assumptions over cooking.

It was illegal in New Zealand to deny someone a tenancy based on ethnicity, the NZ Herald reported.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
They still don't get it. Its also their conduct when interacting with others, when negotiating rent, when going to public places with their kids etc. Its their culture that they need to address. Singapore and Malaysian Indians have been migrating to Oz / NZ for 4 decades with no issues. They too cook curry but the houses have no issues.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Trust the Ah Nehs to twist and turn their words..Also they say yes while shaking their heads..So it means No...hahahah

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Arun and Poonam should pack their bags and migrate to Singapore where the pappy will give them the red carpet treatment as foreign talents, given PR's to buy HDB flats, sons exempted from NS and 20% of schools/university places reserved for their children(as foreigners).
They also get to see some uniquely singapore things like the exercise of collecting /carrying old cardboards by older folks and foreigners (like himself)living the good life while may locals are out of jobs.

Even the use of the words Indian may be sensitive eg
"......in Chong Boon was Chandra Das.......contesting against a Chinese candidate. And the opposition was going from door to door....They just asked, has that Indian man come yet? And everybody knew what it meant – there was a special UHF signal there, so you say one thing (but) what you mean is another thing "
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/pm-lee-questions-dr-chee/2745252.html

Last edited:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The kelings were not denied housing based on ethnicity. They were rejected by landlords on the high possibility of cooking curry meals that may stain and stink up the house. There's a huge difference.

AMDKs can also find themselves rejected if they have a habit of cooking curries. Anyone can cook curries. Hell, even lots of Japs cook curry. It's racist to assume that most curry meals are cooked by kelings. Don't be a fucking racist!

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
They still don't get it. Its also their conduct when interacting with others, when negotiating rent, when going to public places with their kids etc. Its their culture that they need to address. Singapore and Malaysian Indians have been migrating to Oz / NZ for 4 decades with no issues. They too cook curry but the houses have no issues.

I thot I read from Hindustan Press that most Indians are dishonest.......... datz explains why we got so many cheats and crooks in sg

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Arun and Poonam should pack their bags and migrate to Singapore where the pappy will give them the red carpet treatment as foreign talents, given PR's to buy HDB flats, sons exempted from NS and 20% of schools/university places reserved for their children(as foreigners).
They also get to see the uniquely singapore exercise of collecting /carrying old cardboards by mainly older folks.

my fren;s neighbour cook curry like hell and play Hindi music song loud loud - how generous to share his music

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal
They still don't get it. Its also their conduct when interacting with others, when negotiating rent, …..

to be fair scroobie, everyone needs to get a bit tough when negotiating rent or you will get walked over…everything you see on the rental market is about 20% overpriced these days. The landlords attach a huge buffer to it and then negotiate just 1-2% down…pretending to lower when they're still actually still overcharging.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do agree but the nickel and diming can be quite a chore when both the husband and wife are separately involved. Its really odd. There is also spouse calling the landlords every now and then on various things.

I have seen Indian National ladies giving a hard time to supermarket cashiers. I suspect the cultural gap is quite wide thus the issue.

There is no doubt that landlords also avoid PRC mainland Chinese for their atrocious hygiene issues. The conditions of bathrooms and the carpets are well known.

to be fair scroobie, everyone needs to get a bit tough when negotiating rent or you will get walked over…everything you see on the rental market is about 20% overpriced these days. The landlords attach a huge buffer to it and then negotiate just 1-2% down…pretending to lower when they're still actually still overcharging.

WujiBo

Alfrescian
Loyal
The landlords should try curries.

They are bloody delicious.

Lamb Madras is my favourite.

It's worth the every cholesterol one gets.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
They also get to see some uniquely singapore things like the exercise of collecting /carrying old cardboards by older folks and foreigners (like himself)living the good life while may locals are out of jobs.

Even the use of the words Indian may be sensitive eg
"......in Chong Boon was Chandra Das.......contesting against a Chinese candidate. And the opposition was going from door to door....They just asked, has that Indian man come yet? And everybody knew what it meant – there was a special UHF signal there, so you say one thing (but) what you mean is another thing "
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/pm-lee-questions-dr-chee/2745252.html

you r rite... the cocksuckers from FAP will run to their distress call faster than mata on 999 roll and chill any neighbor for complaining and threaten sedition if you continue to whimp about smelly curries.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do agree but the nickel and diming can be quite a chore when both the husband and wife are separately involved. Its really odd. There is also spouse calling the landlords every now and then on various things.

I have seen Indian National ladies giving a hard time to supermarket cashiers. I suspect the cultural gap is quite wide thus the issue.

There is no doubt that landlords also avoid PRC mainland Chinese for their atrocious hygiene issues. The conditions of bathrooms and the carpets are well known.

the chinks r ok... surely you would appreciate the neighborhood is cleared of free roaming dogs from your neighhor and offered a free serving of tasty BBQ meat, esp those chiwawa size baby ribs or you prefer the thighs.

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal

Landlords citing curry excuse is a polite way of telling the Indians off.

Some of my neighbours openly told their property agents they dont want to sell their apartments to India Indians

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
The landlords should try curries.

They are bloody delicious.

Lamb Madras is my favourite.

It's worth the every cholesterol one gets.

The Indians are dumb. Curry is a convenient and polite excuse to tell them off

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dun understand. Why rent? A house is very cheap in NZ. If you get an apartment it is cheaper. Why can't they just buy it like our counterparts here in SG? Saves all the need to talk talk talk. :rolleyes:

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
I look no further, in Sillypore i hear/listen to my Law Minister who happen to be a higher sinkies indian mortal, so i dont blame others.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You read the comments over there on the site and hey they are siding the landlords yet for these ang mohs were the situation changed to Chinese in SG doing the same guess what? YUP racist Chinese refuse to rent to shit skins. :rolleyes:

Also notice another thing. Notice how the shit skins never ever apologise for this. Their food stinks. Period. They never go oh we won't cook our food we'll cook less smelly food or buy from outside. Nope NEVER! Instead it's the usual shtick landlords are racist. Landlords need to accept shit skins and their smelly cooking if not they are racist. :rolleyes: