• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Singapore declines under the failed leadership of LHL

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
TODAY 3 december 2016
-----

IF YOU haven’t been reading news reports about Singapore, TODAY has thoughtfully compiled a list of international rankings which showed that we are NOT Number 1 anymore, or where we’ve slipped in the rankings.

Here’s the run-down of Singapore’s slide this year:

Dropped from ninth to 10th place in Deloitte’s 2016 Global Manufacturing Competitiveness Index, which was last compiled three years ago.

Dropped from third to fourth place in Swiss business school IMD’s 2016 World Competitiveness Ranking released in May, saw Singapore falling one position to fourth, increasing the distance to traditional rival Hong Kong which claimed pole position after moving up from second place previously.

Dropped from first to second place in World Bank’s Ease of Doing Business Index, for the first time in 10 years. Singapore was pipped by New Zealand.

Dropped from 10th to 15th place in IMD’s World Talent Report 2016 released by IMD, because of lower scores in appeal to overseas talent, and investment and development of home grown talent.

The report has a whole host of observers and experts giving their views on the whys and the wherefores of the slippage, but with a common thread that Singapore had better buck up on productivity or cheaper/better places would eat our lunch.

Here’s something that we should be glad about that isn’t mentioned in the TODAY report:

Our students are still Number One in mathematics and science, according to Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (Timms). Its Primary Four and Secondary Two students outperformed their peers from 63 other countries in maths and science. Now, if this carries on for succeeding batches, we would at least have some human capital to fall back on, provided that these young people keep training and re-training after gaining a strong foundation.

There’s also this prediction from Mr Jerry Nickelsburg, an economist at UCLA Anderson School of Management, reported in ST. He was writing about how a Trump presidency with its protectionist and anti-immigrant stance might be good for some countries.

“We don’t know right now which places are going to be most competitive and achieve critical mass in innovative industries as the Pacific Rim centre shifts west.”

“My money would be on Singapore, with its English common law, low taxes, affluent and well-trained workforce, major universities and central location.”

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Followed by the thoughts of GMS which incidentally I agree with totally this time round

========

Thought of the Day (3 december)

Had a chat with a long time friend and this friend lamented about the state of affairs in Singapore today. This is not an ordinary person who had worked in statutory board before, extremely patriotic, progressive, intelligent, well traveled...

This friend lamented that the standards we had in Singapore nowadays is getting from bad to worse. A simple switch of season parking from one place to another, didn't even work after one full month despite officially HDB sent emails to confirm and money deducted from giro!

I simply told my friend that Singapore as a whole has been too complacent for over the couple of decades. From public transport system failures to simple things like cash card and EZ Link card systems which are totally redundant when ithey couldn't even be used easily like Octopus card in HK.

In fact, it is totally a joke for PAP government to boast about us as some high tech city when we couldn't even get simple thing like advanced bus stop announcement system up on our public buses! Even China is more advanced than us in this and many other aspects like Fintech and RFID usage!

While China is already progressing aggressively into High Speed Rail, our poor LTA, SMRT and SBS Transit cannot even get their simple Subway and LRT right!

The logistic management system in China has advanced in leaps and bounds while Singapore pale in comparison.

I went to IKEA today and found out that their POS system is so backward that even their credit card machine will jam because they are still using the primitive calling lines! They have not improved nor evolve since 20 years ago!

We are used to be a Nation with Engineering as our strength but it seems that most of our students after graduation will not touch engineering at all. There is no Zeal in the people we produce from our Education system to strive in getting things done better, having that pride in improving status quo.

It seems that our society has stopped evolving, lack the dynamism to constantly to make things work better. Even the Pride of HDB Pinnacles has such a lousy lift system that it is seriously an international joke to have installed such lifts for a mega residential 50 stores high flats! Such lifts look like an antique 1980s or 1970s system! Not to mention the awkward design of these new HDB flats itself!

What is wrong with Singapore? My friend sighed. And my friend is right to say that, this is our country and it is regrettable that we are regressing extremely fast in comparison with developing countries like China, not to mention those developed countries like Japan or the Nordic.

Are we seriously considered as World Class First World developed country?

We have lost the Zeal and Dynamism to invest and improve ourselves and it is not surprising that our productivity has been so low or even negative for the past couple of decades.

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
The decline is obvious to many people except to the pap.

The compilation by Today is just the tip of the iceberg. It is worse below the tip of the iceberg

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Followed by the thoughts of GMS which incidentally I agree with totally this time round

========

Thought of the Day (3 december)

Had a chat with a long time friend and this friend lamented about the state of affairs in Singapore today. This is not an ordinary person who had worked in statutory board before, extremely patriotic, progressive, intelligent, well traveled...

This friend lamented that the standards we had in Singapore nowadays is getting from bad to worse. A simple switch of season parking from one place to another, didn't even work after one full month despite officially HDB sent emails to confirm and money deducted from giro!

I simply told my friend that Singapore as a whole has been too complacent for over the couple of decades. From public transport system failures to simple things like cash card and EZ Link card systems which are totally redundant when ithey couldn't even be used easily like Octopus card in HK.

In fact, it is totally a joke for PAP government to boast about us as some high tech city when we couldn't even get simple thing like advanced bus stop announcement system up on our public buses! Even China is more advanced than us in this and many other aspects like Fintech and RFID usage!

While China is already progressing aggressively into High Speed Rail, our poor LTA, SMRT and SBS Transit cannot even get their simple Subway and LRT right!

The logistic management system in China has advanced in leaps and bounds while Singapore pale in comparison.

I went to IKEA today and found out that their POS system is so backward that even their credit card machine will jam because they are still using the primitive calling lines! They have not improved nor evolve since 20 years ago!

We are used to be a Nation with Engineering as our strength but it seems that most of our students after graduation will not touch engineering at all. There is no Zeal in the people we produce from our Education system to strive in getting things done better, having that pride in improving status quo.

It seems that our society has stopped evolving, lack the dynamism to constantly to make things work better. Even the Pride of HDB Pinnacles has such a lousy lift system that it is seriously an international joke to have installed such lifts for a mega residential 50 stores high flats! Such lifts look like an antique 1980s or 1970s system! Not to mention the awkward design of these new HDB flats itself!

What is wrong with Singapore? My friend sighed. And my friend is right to say that, this is our country and it is regrettable that we are regressing extremely fast in comparison with developing countries like China, not to mention those developed countries like Japan or the Nordic.

Are we seriously considered as World Class First World developed country?

We have lost the Zeal and Dynamism to invest and improve ourselves and it is not surprising that our productivity has been so low or even negative for the past couple of decades.

When our leaders sweep problems under the carpet and deny that there are problems and resorted to ownself check ownself and refused to subject themselves to other checks and balances, the only way is down.

It is the lack of political wisdom and cronyism that have led SG into this predicament.

It will get worse before we get better

bodycells

Alfrescian
Loyal
When our leaders sweep problems under the carpet and deny that there are problems and resorted to ownself check ownself and refused to subject themselves to other checks and balances, the only way is down.

It is the lack of political wisdom and cronyism that have led SG into this predicament.

It will get worse before we get better

If Dr Chee is sg prime minister, this sort of thing will not have happened.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The 70% voted for it...so the majority is fine with it as they feel pap is doing a wonderful job. Singkies have no one to blame but themselves.

Cottonmouth

Alfrescian
Loyal
When is this useless cancerous fuck releasing his book, I would like an autograph before he dies.

seFtSfGl.jpg