• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat [NEWS] Indian Minister: India's Rape Problem is Exaggerated

grandtour

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/23/indias-problem-exaggerated-says-minister-for-women-maneka-gandhi

India's rape problem is exaggerated, says minister for women

Vidhi Doshi in Mumbai
Wednesday 23 November 2016 11.37 GMT
First published on Wednesday 23 November 2016 11.17 GMT

India’s minister for women has been criticised for claiming that the country’s rape and sexual violence problem is exaggerated by the media, driving away tourists.

Maneka Gandhi, the minister for women and child development, told a workshop for female journalists that India ranks “among the lowest four countries in the world” for rape cases, according to a number of people in attendance.

Replying to a question about government inaction on rape, the minister said: “I went to Sweden two years ago when, because of the Nirbhaya incident, cases were being reported every day,” the Times of India reported her as saying, referring to the Delhi gang rape which focused international attention on India’s rape crisis.

“Someone said to me that no one wanted to travel to India. I had data with me and I took a look at it and then showed it to him. As per that data in the world, we ranked among the lowest four countries in terms of rape cases. Sweden was number one.”

Gandhi claimed that the Indian media’s supposed overemphasis on rape was driving away foreign tourists, who are told that India is unsafe for women. She said: “In those [foreign] countries [rape] does not become big news, as their newspapers don’t report these cases like we do. We have zero tolerance towards rape and our newspapers will write about it everyday.

According to a survey of global experts in 2012, India was voted the worst place in the world to be a woman, lower even than countries such as Saudi Arabia. Rape often goes unreported in the country. Women who come forward are frequently blamed for enticing attackers by wearing revealing clothing, drinking alcohol or being outdoors after dark. Victims may also face huge social stigma: many are labelled unfit to marry or “dirty” after they have been attacked. Many women who report rape cases to police are turned away and pressured not to speak about it. Marital rape is not considered a crime.

Sweden, on the other hand, has one of the widest definitions of rape and records every rape incident as a separate crime, so if a man rapes a woman 10 times, he faces 10 separate charges. In India separate incidents are lumped together as one charge.

Loveleen Tharmani, a bureau chief at Himachal Dastak who attended the workshop, said the minister’s statements were inaccurate. “In my state [Himachal Pradesh], there are countless rape cases. The minister seemed to be saying that rape is not such a big problem, but I don’t really agree. It is an everyday matter. Perhaps it’s true that the government isn’t really doing anything about it, there are so many reported cases still lying in files, and nothing has really been done.”

Senior ministers in the prime minister Narendra Modi’s Bhartiya Janata party have made similar comments in the past. In 2014, the finance minister Arun Jaitley said the Delhi gang rape was “a small incident” that cost the country billions in tourist dollars. Others, such as the tourism minister Mahesh Sharma, have implied that foreign women share accountability in rape if they wear short skirts or reveal too much skin.

Aarefa Johari, a journalist with the news website Scroll, said it was time the Indian government started to take its rape problem seriously. “As the minister for women and child development, [Gandhi] should know how these reports are put together. She was trying to make it sound like India’s not that bad, that we shouldn’t think of it as a rape capital, but the basis on which she was making that claim was uninformed and silly. What does it matter where India stands on an international list? We have a toxic rape culture and there is proof of it all over India.

“It is exhausting to see India’s leaders, especially the minister for women, not wanting to talk about the root of the problem.”

The ministry of women and child development did not reply to the Guardian’s requests for comment.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
This minister is right you know? Poverty and alcohol are bigger problems :wink::wink::wink:

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is exhausting to see India’s leaders, especially the minister for women, not wanting to talk about the root of the problem.”

The ministry of women and child development did not reply to the Guardian’s requests for comment.
Whats there to talk? Take the gun shoot first and live with the snake.:biggrin:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Grand tour is a filthy shit skin bothered by the TRUTH of India having the bad reputation of being rape capital of the world. That's fair reputation considering the disgusting criminal activity happening in the India thread with more than 20 guests round the clock - fellow filthy shit skins who are pieces of shit - thieves robbers rapist and molesters from India. PAP imported filthy shit skin grand tour and give him good job but he turned around to harm Sporeans like me. Pui!

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Grand tour is a filthy shit skin bothered by the TRUTH of India having the bad reputation of being rape capital of the world. That's fair reputation considering the disgusting criminal activity happening in the India thread with more than 20 guests round the clock - fellow filthy shit skins who are pieces of shit - thieves robbers rapist and molesters from India. PAP imported filthy shit skin grand tour and give him good job but he turned around to harm Sporeans like me. Pui!

nothing is more disgusting than shit from your mouth and vomit from your anus..............& stale blood from your smelly cunt

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing is more disgusting than self righteous smearers like you. It's your words that are proven shit lies from your smearing mouth which you and your filthy SLUT family with smelly cunts will pay for the injustice and wrong that you did to me. KNNBCCB thieves and robbers with no shame like you go round shaming others when you should be ashamed of being thieves yourselves. Sinkie traitor dog that helps mudlander dogs to step on own kind with lies and being thieves. Pui!

nothing is more disgusting than shit from your mouth and vomit from your anus..............& stale blood from your smelly cunt