• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Galaxy Note 7 Resuming sales again as expected!

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone looking for a good & cheap watch can look at a Seiko. It is not manual but uses a battery.

Had a Seiko Sportsman watch which was still working after 20 years. It survived in the freezing temperatures of Alberta's winter & Spore's hot humid temperatures. Only needed a new battery every 5 years & a rubber gasket replacement to maintain the waterproofness.

I stopped using it when I got a handphone which makes wearing a watch redundant. If I were to get a watch today it would be the manual Omega Speedmaster. The model that was taken to the moon.

Submariner, the one used by James Bond.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Submariner, the one used by James Bond.

That is a nice looking watch. If I was looking at Rolex watch that would be the model that I would get. It's easier to sell a 2nd hand Rolex watch than an Omega or a IWC :smile:

However if I am going to spend so much $$$ on a watch, it would be the Speedmaster because of it's history. It wouldn't be practical choice because it is quite big. I actually bought a copy of the Speedmaster when I was in KL :o

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_Note_7

Samsung Galaxy Note 7

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rear of Samsung Galaxy Note 7​

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 (marketed as Samsung Galaxy Note7)
is a discontinued Androidphablet smartphone that was produced and marketed by Samsung Electronics. Unveiled on 2 August 2016,[SUP][5][/SUP] it was officially released on 19 August 2016 as a successor to the Galaxy Note 5. Although it is the sixth main device in the Galaxy Note series, Samsung branded its series number as "7" instead, so that consumers would not perceive it as being inferior to the flagship Samsung Galaxy S7.

The Galaxy Note 7 is an evolution of the Galaxy Note 5 that inherited hardware components and improvements from the Galaxy S7, including the restoration of expandable storage andIP68 water resistance, and new features such as a dual-sided curved display, improvements to the bundled stylus and new software features which utilize it, an iris recognition system, and a USB Type-C port.

Demand for the Galaxy Note 7 on-launch was high, breaking pre-order records in South Korea and causing international releases to be delayed in some markets due to supply shortages. However, on 2 September 2016, Samsung suspended sales of the Galaxy Note 7 and announced a voluntary recall (referred to as a "product exchange program"), after it was found that a manufacturing defect in the phones' batteries had caused some of them to generate excessive heat, resulting in fires and explosions. A formal U.S. recall was announced on 15 September 2016.[SUP][6][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP] Samsung exchanged the affected phones for a new revision, which utilized batteries sourced from a different supplier. However, in early October 2016, reports emerged of incidents where these replacement phones also caught on fire.

On 10 October 2016, in response to the new incidents, Samsung announced that it would once again suspend sales of the Galaxy Note 7 and recall all devices worldwide. The next day, Samsung also announced that it would permanently discontinue the Galaxy Note 7 and cease its production. The recall had a major impact on Samsung's business in the third quarter of 2016, with the company projecting that its operating profits would be down by 33% in comparison to the previous quarter. Credit Suisse analysts estimated that Samsung would lose at least US$17 billion in revenue from the production and recall of the Galaxy Note 7.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is a nice looking watch. If I was looking at Rolex watch that would be the model that I would get. It's easier to sell a 2nd hand Rolex watch than an Omega or a IWC :smile:

However if I am going to spend so much $$$ on a watch, it would be the Speedmaster because of it's history. It wouldn't be practical choice because it is quite big. I actually bought a copy of the Speedmaster when I was in KL :o

Things with value are not cheap, Cheap things has no value.

TemaseX

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://fortune.com/2016/11/30/samsung-probe-galaxy-note-7/

Samsung Could Be About to Release the Results From Its Galaxy Note 7 Probe

Korean electronics giant Samsung ssnlf will reportedly announce the final results of an internal investigation into what went wrong with the Galaxy Note 7 by the end of the year, according to the Investor.

The embattled company has been operating in full damage control mode, particularly after posting a 96% plunge in third quarter earnings last month. Part of the damage control operation has been to independently seek answers as to why batteries in some of its products were spontaneously catching fire, and a new round of investigations kicked off earlier this month. While faulty batteries seem to have been the catalyst, the company wanted to determine other factors that could have led to the explosions.

Since launching the tablet phone in August, over 4.2 million Galaxy Note 7s have been sold globally, reports the Investor. But the reports of fires and exploding batteries led to a recall then a total discontinuation of the device in October.

“We are considering all possibilities to find out the exact cause of the accidents,” a Samsung official told the Investor.

The findings of the new investigation will be the deciding factor in whether or not the phones can be re-used, saving huge environmental and financial costs, and could have an impact on the the Galaxy S8 launch next year.

For more on the Samsung Galaxy Note 7, watch this Fortune video:

The results could also be a deciding factor in whether “heads will roll,” at the company, after Chief Executive Kwon Oh-hyun said Samsung would only assign responsibility after the crisis was resolved, reported Fortune earlier this year.

It has been a busy week for the “crown jewel” of South Korea’s largest conglomerate, with the enterprise reportedly considering a major structural overhaul as part of a wider succession plan.

TemaseX

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/samsung-releasing-galaxy-note-7-012851058.html

Samsung Releasing Galaxy Note 7 Investigation Result By Year's End

[International Business Times]
Corazon Victorino
International Business TimesNovember 30, 2016
Samsung Releasing Galaxy Note 7 Investigation Result By Year's End
Samsung is going to make an official statement about the root cause of the Galaxy Note 7 fiasco by the end of this year.

When Samsung decided to discontinue its Galaxy Note 7 in October, the only reason behind the disappointing move was the production error in the battery cells of the flagship phablet. The South Korean giant initially provided replacements, but the effort was deemed futile after more incidents of exploding Galaxy Note 7 handsets surfaced. Since the device was quickly pulled out from the market, it wasn’t really known what was causing the explosions.

On Tuesday, The Investor broke the news that Samsung Electronics is going to officially reveal the result of its probe into its controversial Android smartphone. Though no official date has been given as of late, sources with knowledge of the matter are already claiming that Samsung is likely to spill the beans before 2016 ends.

As of late, the new round of investigation that was launched on Nov. 11 is still ongoing. The probe is said to involve product safety authorities and experts both in South Korea and the United States.

Samsung sold 4.3 million Galaxy Note 7 units since its August launch. After learning the incidents of units catching fire, the company launched a program to recall the problematic handsets. Alongside this, the company carried out its own investigation because even though it was already pinpointed that faulty batteries were responsible for the explosions, there are still other factors that could be involved and are yet to be disclosed.

Divulging the real reasons behind the discontinuation of its flagship will actually benefit Samsung. As per PhoneArena, the sooner that the tech giant finds out what was exactly causing the combustion and the sooner it releases the results of its investigation to the public, the faster it would be for everyone to move on from the drama that the fiasco caused.

“We are considering all possibilities to find out the exact cause of the accidents,” a Samsung official was quoted as saying. Experts are reportedly suggesting that Apple’s biggest rival takes its time in investigating the issue, so that it could expose the exact cause of the disturbing explosions. This will not only benefit Samsung as it focuses on the launch of the Galaxy S8 early next year, it would also help the industry prevent the same thing to happen in the future.

Related Articles

Android 7.0 Nougat Beta Program Open To More Samsung Galaxy S7 Users
Samsung May Undergo Major Changes As Shareholders Call For Company Split
Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Gets Grace UX Update

TemaseX

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspe...ote-7-brand-battery-fire-damage/#144d62a7c361

Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 Damage May Not Be As Painful As You Think

Ewan Spence ,

Contributor

I look at the impact of mobile technology and online media.

Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

September 2016 was a tough month for Samsung Mobile’s team. Thanks to the incendiary battery issues with the Galaxy Note 7, the South Korean company was forced to start an expensive global recall to implement a fix. That fix didn’t work and a second recall was started, along with production of the handset ending. The Note 7 was expected to be one of the biggest selling handsets of the year. Instead it became a millstone around Samsung’s corporate neck.

With the phablet becoming the punchline of many late-night chat show sketches, announcements from airlines that the Note 7 was banned from flyers’ carry-on bags or hold luggage and Samsung’s every move analysed in-depth by the geekerati, the immediate assumption was that the battery issues around the Note 7 would be damaging to Samsung’s bottom line and brand name.

People walk by the new Samsung store in lower Manhattan (Photo by Spencer Platt/Getty Images)

There has certainly been a short-term financial hit to Samsung’s bottom line. Recalls are expensive with no commercial upside. Samsung’s losses could be as high as one billion dollars. Expect this to be reflected over two or three quarters of financial reports from the South Korean company.

There’s also the loss of income from not having the Galaxy Note 7 on sale. The phablet was expected to match the sales of the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge. With the Note 7 removed from the market there was room for the competition to pick up potential sales. Google’s Pixel XL was an obvious beneficiary with many of the geekerati promoting it as an alternative. As a new brand in the market with limited stock the Pixel XL certainly had a sales boost but Google did not have the resources to fully exploit the gap in the market.

Neither did Apple. Although the iPhone 7 Plus is a natural competitor to the Note 7′s phablet form factor it also suffered the usual stock shortages that feature during the launch period of a new Apple device. No doubt other Android device manufacturers saw increased sales, but no handset stepped up to dominate the vacated space.
Recommended by Forbes

People buy new iPhone models at a telecom shop in Seoul on October 21, 2016 (Photo: Jung Yeon-Je/AFP/Getty Images)

The other impact on Samsung that many (including myself) were expecting was to Samsung’s brand and image. Having your smartphone catch fire seemingly at random does not instil confidence in consumers. This wasn’t helped by a number of Samsung’s washing machines also being subject to a recall in the same period. Would this pull down Samsung in the eyes of the general consumer? A recent survey by Ipsos for Reuters suggests that is not the case.

With almost 6000 people questioned over the fifty states, existing Samsung users were just as loyal to the brand as users of Apple’s iPhone range. Comparing those who were aware of the Note 7 recall and those who weren’t, the survey suggested a similar level of desire to go with a Samsung handset if they were looking for a new phone.

As for the handsets which picked up the slack of the Note 7, it appears to be a mix of Chinese handsets as well as Samsung’s own Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge smartphones that were launched earlier in the year.

While the short-term financial damage is not welcome, Samsung is weathering the storm that the Note 7 has created. It is not losing the amount of ground to the competition that many thought. With the next flagship launch of the Galaxy S8 still some months away (and potentially delayed beyond the expected February launch), this survey is a positive sign for Samsung’s management that the Note 7 damage will be temporary.

Now read about one big feature the Galaxy S8 could drop…

Follow me on Facebook. Find more of my work at ewanspence.co.uk, on Twitter, and Linked In. You should subscribe to my weekly newsletter of 'Trivial Posts'.