• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Tan Cheng Bock conceded defeat over Presidential Election 2017

gongkia

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://news.asiaone.com/news/singap...d-hes-unable-stand-next-presidential-election

SINGAPORE - Dr Tan Cheng Bock, who lost in the 2011 presidential election, has expressed disappointment that he will not be able to contest in the next presidential election in 2017.

But he said on Saturday (Nov 12) that he will continue to contribute in ways that he can, such as attend events, give talks, and make home visits to the elderly who require medical help.

The retired medical doctor and former People's Action Party MP had announced his presidency bid in March this year, but will not be eligible to contest after recent changes to the elected presidency.

The changes which Parliament approved this week require candidates drawing on their private sector background to have been the most senior executive of a company with at least $500 million in shareholders' equity.

Previously, they could have been chairman or chief executive of a company with $100 million in paid-up capital.

Another change, to ensure minority representation in the office, will see elections reserved for candidates from particular racial groups when no one from the group has been elected president for five continuous terms.

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong announced on Tuesday (Nov 8) that the next presidential election will be reserved for Malay candidates, as the country has not had a Malay President for the last five terms.

Speaking briefly to reporters at a charity event in Chai Chee Road, Dr Tan, 76, said: "You can't say I'm not disappointed. But there are many options in life. We never quit."

He added that he had hoped to run for presidency again as he "wanted to see certain changes".

"But if I can't get that, never mind. Life still goes on. I can still help Singapore."

He did not want to be drawn into commenting on the changes to the elected presidency, saying he will respond on his Facebook page in due time.

He added: "I think you will hear a lot from me. Because (when) you love this place, you'll want to do what is best for the country."

Dr Tan had contested in the four-way presidential election in 2011, and lost to President Tony Tan Keng Yam by 7,382 votes.

The other candidates were Mr Tan Jee Say, who went on to found opposition party Singaporeans First, and former chief executive of NTUC Income Tan Kin Lian.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This old moron actually believed that the proposal to restrict the EP to the m&ds would be intensely debated in parliament and could be rejected or amended.

It's hard to believe that he was once in the CEC of the PAP. Was he a sleeping member as to be so clueless about the inner working of his party?

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He added: "I think you will hear a lot from me. Because (when) you love this place, you'll want to do what is best for the country

We have heard quite a bit from him but I rather he put his words into action-like being elected to Parliament as an Independent /Opposition MP
and caste his votes against the oppressive policies of the increasingly totalitarian regime .

After Ming Yi, Kong Hee, Susan Lim, Shan, TCJ,CCS et al is there still some saving grace in coming from RI ?

Last edited:

kkbutterfly

Alfrescian
Loyal
We have heard quite a bit from him but I rather he put his words into action-like being elected to Parliament as an Independent /Opposition MP
and caste his votes against the oppressive policies of the increasingly totalitarian regime .

After Ming Yi, Kong Hee, Susan Lim, Shan, TCJ,CCS et al is there still some saving grace in coming from RI ?

that right.
talk and talk.
he should lead sdp in a GRC team

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I hope TCB runs as an independent candidate. He is quite arrogant and thinks that his huge electoral wins were really about him.

The hard truth is that all the PAP leaders from the 1970s onwards have no ability to win elections on their own merit like Trump. Without being flanked by trade unionists and grassroots leaders, without support from the mainstream media, nearly all PAP MPs have no chance of winning. An independent TCB has no chance against an average PAP cadre like Victor Lye.