• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Two more Singapore Environment Council senior management staff terminated (Yah:11/11)

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal

Whats Up at SEC
???

5506b46b36680015acbfd5d316a3c0a3

Recently terminated SEC staff members (from left) Shirley Chua, Edwin Seah and Gerard Christopher. (PHOTO: Yahoo Newsroom / Lynda Hong)

Tearful farewell

The recent terminations have dampened the mood at the SEC office, which employed 28 full-time staff including Chua and Gerard.

Jeanette Choong, executive of programmes at the SEC, was one of those who teared up upon hearing the news. “I think half the office was crying. Not just the ladies, the guys were also crying,” she said.

The SEC says it is an independently managed, non-profit NGO committed to environmental protection and awareness in Singapore.

It runs many programmes, such as the Asian Environmental Journalism Awards, School Green Awards and the Singapore Green Labelling Scheme, which have seen rising participation rates over the years.

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Two more Singapore Environment Council senior management staff terminated (Yah:11

Two more senior management staff members from the Singapore Environment Council (SEC) have been terminated, with no reason given.

Former SEC assistant executive director Christopher Gerard and former SEC communications director Shirley Chua were handed termination letters on Friday (11 November) morning by the non-governmental organisation’s human resource manager.

At an informal meeting with the media held on Friday, Chua and Gerard said no warnings or feedback on their performance had been given to prior to their sacking.

“I was flabbergasted, especially (since) there was nothing that was told prior to this. I think we have delivered on all fronts of our programmes. I’m just shocked,” said Gerard, 43, who had been with the SEC since February 2015.

Chua, however, was a little more prepared for the news. “I was mentally prepared after Edwin Seah left. If this can happen to Edwin where he has not committed any wrongdoing, this could happen to anyone of us,” said the 45-year-old, who had worked at the SEC for about three years.

In lieu of notice, Chua and Gerard will be paid salaries of two and three months, respectively.

The latest developments come on the heels of former SEC executive director Edwin Seah’s suspension in October amid an investigation by a special panel. Despite being cleared of any wrongdoing, Seah’s employment was terminated, with the SEC saying that he was not a right fit for the organisation.

Responding to queries from Yahoo Singapore, the SEC issued a statement saying that its “Board believes it is inappropriate to discuss employment matters with anyone other than the individuals themselves as it is an internal matter”.

Former SEC executive director Jose Raymond, who was also at the meeting, questioned the terminations.

“This is a huge disappointment, especially since half the Board is made up of senior government officials, including two current Members of Parliament. Do they condone and support these actions? Whatever happened to helping protect jobs and livelihoods?” he asked.

“If you look at our performance, if we have not been doing very well, you can question that. But that has not been the case. Our finances have been very healthy, and our programmes have been growing,” said Seah to Yahoo Singapore.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Two more Singapore Environment Council senior management staff terminated (Yah:11

sounds and smells like the environment within the environment council is toxic. no pun intended.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

it starts with one putrid twat, rotting from the top :wink:

what kind of "programmes have been growing" are they referring to? breeding more mosquitoes? from a to z? oops i mean from aedes to zika? :confused:

cocobobo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Curious... how much are these guys paid? Non profit yet paid directors all over the place

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Dismantle the Board and the council. No need, especially the Board.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

When I read SEC, I thought thought it was the US SEC(Securties & Exchange commission) in the US :o

Seems to be plenty of organisations in Spore which few people know about. So is this a cut back due to the poor economic conditions or people being punished for anti-PAP activities, or for doing a bad job. or .... :confused: Does anyone know the inside story?

Anyway these people are now out of work & they join the other thousands in the same boat. More people who will think twice in the next GE .

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal

“This is a huge disappointment, especially since half the Board is made up of senior government officials, including two current Members of Parliament. Do they condone and support these actions? Whatever happened to helping protect jobs and livelihoods?” he asked.

I like this paragraph the most.

He really expecting the 2 MP to do to defend those terminated?

He has yet to wake up. No wonder many were terminated.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tell them to go see NTUC for help.

EnBloc

Alfrescian
Loyal

What a bunch of cry babies. Terminated with pay in lieu of notice and still complaining.

Nobody owes you a fucking job even if you are top performer.

Bunch of sissies and the former director asking for government and MP's help takes nanny in nanny state literally.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

honestly, i have neber heard about SEC and have no idea what the fuck they do. Are they a subset of ministry of environment?
are they doing duplicate jobs?

2 - 3 months pay, thats at least 30K? So why complain? 30k with good planning can last quite a while.
fret not, Zorro Lim says there are jobs- like Grab n Uber driver, or taxi driver...