• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious DSTA Engineers Solves Circle Line Breakdown Mystery! Sinkie Still Confident In MRT!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
SINGAPORE - Engineers Mui Whye Kee, Cheng Heng Ngom and Benedict Koh were the Defence Science and Technology Agency (DSTA) experts who helped solve the mysterious glitch which affected the MRT Circle Line in recent weeks.

15003345_1162624907164100_8422796050899076353_o.jpg

This was revealed by Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen on Facebook on Friday (Nov 11).

Together with a Defence Science Organisation team led by Chian Teck Keong, they identified a train with faulty signalling hardware as the cause of a glitch which affected service from Aug 28 to Sept 2, and from Nov 2 to 6.

Mr Mui and Mr Cheng were prize-winning engineers who bagged the prestigious defence technology prize this year and last year, respectively.

"In modern battles, the opponent who rules the airwaves has the decisive advantage," Mr Ng said. "We have many professionals in DSTA and DSO National Laboratories who spend a good part of their careers becoming experts in the field.

"So, when the Circle Line had problems with signal interference, it presented an opportunity for them to help and put their expertise to good use."

The engineers first showed that radio signals could disrupt trains.

"But where were the rogue signals coming from? Like good detectives, they analysed the clues, eliminated other suspects and caught the culprit - train PV46, carrying faulty hardware," the minister said.

The mysterious glitch was initially attributed to several causes - from a recent software upgrade to telecommunication signal interference to sabotage.

There was no shortage of theories from netizens either, with some saying half in jest that since the first episode was during the Hungry Ghost Month, paranormal mischief was at play. Others cited manga monsters, as the Pokemon Go craze was then at its height.

The signal interference first appeared on Aug 28, and persisted till Sept 2, when it ceased as suddenly as it started.

Over those six days, rail operator SMRT, suspecting a new software, rolled back the update, but the glitch continued.

Telco signals were switched off along certain stretches of the line, but before any findings could be made, the glitch stopped.

It then reappeared on Nov 2, causing a serious service disruption during the morning peak. This time, the operator and the LTA sought a total shutdown of telco services along the entire line. The glitch did not go away.

The Straits Times understands the DSTA took just one weekend to crack the case.

National University of Singapore transport researcher Lee Der-Horng said: "It is a relief to know the cause has been identified. However, it also makes us wonder if our train operators and LTA have the required expertise in trouble-shooting faults.

"Moreover, the quality control procedures before the train was delivered may need to be tightened up further."

Circle Line user Ashley Wu, 35, said it was "moderately efficient" for the investigators to have cracked the case in a week.

The sales manager said her confidence in the line had not been affected, although commuting without phone access "was very boring".

"But I'd be very worried if it happens again," she said. "I would then lose my confidence, I think."

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...s-who-cracked-the-mysterious-circle-line-case

Last edited:

WujiBo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: DSTA Engineers Solves Circle Line Breakdown Mystery! Sinkie Still Confident In MR

If got do routine maintenance will this kind of nonsense happens?

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: DSTA Engineers Solves Circle Line Breakdown Mystery! Sinkie Still Confident In MR

Is this to justify the deployment of more MINDEF people to SMRT?

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

DSTA experts?
Wasted so much tax payers $$$ in R&D but yet to make anything "original" that works and can withstand punishment in the real battle field.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

How come Spore seems to be the only one plagued by such issues:confused:

Could problem have been avoided if they had designed the systems properly or put in more shielding?

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Snake times only know how to spin. Only time will tell. It could still happen. Talking loudly like QED is just being cocky. How long they had no idea? Wait and see.

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal

Only time will tell. It could still happen. Talking loudly like QED is just being cocky. How long they had no idea? Wait and see.
Totally agree and when that happens again, our bros here will see how the state-controlled media will be spinning it.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

i strongly suspect it is not DSTA who found it, they flew expensive consultants, AMDK from France to study the problem. Probably in conjuction w DTC 50, they handed DSTA this credit on a silver platter.
otherwise, the AMDK looks stupid, SMRT looks stupid. And where the fuck is Desmond, shldn't he be sayin something? Or he is just the silent CEO, silently collecting his fat paycheck every month?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wouldn't it be embarrassing if the same problem re-surfaces again & that the problem they identified was just one of man gremlins in the system.

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal

DSTA experts?
Wasted so much tax payers $$$ in R&D but yet to make anything "original" that works and can withstand punishment in the real battle field.

R&D frequenttlee goes to a Real country to learn , exchange ideas .
i heard this urban legend.
Is Real country or just fictitious , no one knows.

another urban legend is the 007 section of Mind Deaf does that too.
the 008 has to carries gun and no need passport woh.
any way don't worry too much , just myth.

gongkia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Why SMRT and LTA don't have internal experts?

numero uno

Alfrescian
Loyal

Snake times only know how to spin. Only time will tell. It could still happen. Talking loudly like QED is just being cocky. How long they had no idea? Wait and see.

as usual too cocky. i don't think the problem has been solved yet. gonna laugh my ass off if the train breaks down again in 2 weeks time.

kkbutterfly

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wouldn't it be embarrassing if the same problem re-surfaces again & that the problem they identified was just one of man gremlins in the system.

I doubt they would allow that to happen if not they wont announced to the media.
3 steps to be dead sure.
1)identify the cause
2)isolate the cause
3) re stimulate the cause
claim credits

kkbutterfly

Alfrescian
Loyal

this story remind me of a fat lazy bum new sinkie colleague attached to me.
one day I was troubleshooting an intermittent fault.
As all know intermittent fault is not straight forward. if the fault goes away, you missed the chance.
you have to wait for it to appear again in order to nab it.
this fat lazy bum suggested I take the parts from panel B and put in Panel A to test..(take B put in A test test theory)
I gave him a worst fuck of his life.
I tell him this is not troubleshooting. This is making a guess hoping that the problem will go away.
if panel B got 100components, are you going to removed them all and put in panel A and change all the 100 components to new one if the problem lie in 1 of them?

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I doubt they would allow that to happen if not they wont announced to the media.
3 steps to be dead sure.
1)identify the cause
2)isolate the cause
3) re stimulate the cause
claim credits
I only agree with step 1 because the cause can be beyond our power to isolate. However, I am quite sure it should not happen again. It has been "settled."

Faker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last edited:

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal

How come Spore seems to be the only one plagued by such issues:confused:

Could problem have been avoided if they had designed the systems properly or put in more shielding?

create a problem.remove the problem, then claim credit for solving the problem?

Faker

Alfrescian
Loyal

SINGAPORE - Engineers Mui Whye Kee, Cheng Heng Ngom and Benedict Koh were the Defence Science and Technology Agency (DSTA) experts who helped solve the mysterious glitch which affected the MRT Circle Line in recent weeks.

15003345_1162624907164100_8422796050899076353_o.jpg

Mui Whye Kee, Cheng Heng Ngom and Benedict Koh are directors and manager, not ENGINEER as reported.

Mui Whye Kee
Director
PROGRAMME CENTRES
COMMAND, CONTROL, COMMUNICATION, COMPUTER AND INTELLIGENCE DEVELOPMENT
https://www.gov.sg/sgdi/ministries/mindef/statutory-boards/dsta/departments/pc/departments/c4i

Mr Cheng Heng Ngom
Deputy Director (C4I Development)
Defence Science and Technology Agency
https://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/mindef_websites/topics/dtp/dtp2015/winners/winners2.html

Benedict Koh
Senior Systems Manager at DSTA
https://sg.linkedin.com/in/benedict-koh-61023614

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

create a problem.remove the problem, then claim credit for solving the problem?

problem solved weeks ago. root cause identified. rogue train removed from service. faulty emission hardware replaced. line back in pristine service. so smooth, so quiet, so empty.

IMG_3581.JPG