• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious It's almost Xmas & time to shop for a preamp: opinion on Yamaha, Denon or Marantz

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
While waiting for the collapse of Spore I'm thinking about upgrading my preamp. I have an old Yamaha DSP A1 which is a great 6 channel sound system but it doesn't have the newer USB, WiFi, bluetooth connectivity.

I plan to get a new preamplifier so that I can connect all my current & future hardware e.g. Desktop PC with a 4 tb HDD, Macbook Pro, iPad, TV with HDMI ports and a pair of Monitor Audio book shelf sized speakers.

I've loaded movies into my PC which has a 4 TB HDD & plan to load some music also. The aim is to use it as a juke box for movies & music.
I also want the ability to use both my MacPro portable/iPad through the HiFi speakers of the system. The Apple products are portables & the sound volume is limited.

I've visited Adelphi & saw that many newer preamps come with newer ports like USB, WiFi, bluetooth ,....
So many brands & choices. I am trying to narrow the field & need some. My budget is about $1,500, plus or minus a few hundred.

Before committing $ I want to find out what people think of these brands: Yamaha, Denon, & Marantz ? Or should I consider other alternatives?

WujiBo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: It's almost Xmas & time to shop for a preamp: opinion on Yamaha, Denon or Marant

I am already happy with my Creative Sound blaster speakers which I had kept in my store room because it's just simply to noisy to thump thump thump my neightbours everyday!

I don't want them to curse me everyday till I get cancer like Ah Loong!

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: It's almost Xmas & time to shop for a preamp: opinion on Yamaha, Denon or Marant

i heard the creative soundblaster roar speakers are good.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

aiwa is the best

[video=youtube;7G72hFhEiLA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G72hFhEiLA[/video]

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

In my opinion, a Yamaha Digital Sound Projector (Not the Sound Bar) is good enough for those living in small HDB flats or Condo.
It looks neat and simpler layout without too much messy cabling and also doesn't take up too much space.
Of coz if you prefer much better sound quality then the Yamaha Home Theater System will be more ideal.
But then again unless you got a sound proof room setting in your house or something close to it, otherwise you can't really blast the volume to experience the kind of 7.1 or Atmos sound.

yangtzejiang

Alfrescian
Loyal

U can try peachtree audio nova series for pre-amp + 2 channel amp.

If just pure pre-amp, Emotiva has got good bang-for-buck ones.

If you need bluetooth, add the monoprice BT module. Supports APTX and digital optical outputs.

While waiting for the collapse of Spore I'm thinking about upgrading my preamp. I have an old Yamaha DSP A1 which is a great 6 channel sound system but it doesn't have the newer USB, WiFi, bluetooth connectivity.

I plan to get a new preamplifier so that I can connect all my current & future hardware e.g. Desktop PC with a 4 tb HDD, Macbook Pro, iPad, TV with HDMI ports and a pair of Monitor Audio book shelf sized speakers.

I've loaded movies into my PC which has a 4 TB HDD & plan to load some music also. The aim is to use it as a juke box for movies & music.
I also want the ability to use both my MacPro portable/iPad through the HiFi speakers of the system. The Apple products are portables & the sound volume is limited.

I've visited Adelphi & saw that many newer preamps come with newer ports like USB, WiFi, bluetooth ,....
So many brands & choices. I am trying to narrow the field & need some. My budget is about $1,500, plus or minus a few hundred.

Before committing $ I want to find out what people think of these brands: Yamaha, Denon, & Marantz ? Or should I consider other alternatives?

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

U can try peachtree audio nova series for pre-amp + 2 channel amp.

If just pure pre-amp, Emotiva has got good bang-for-buck ones.

If you need bluetooth, add the monoprice BT module. Supports APTX and digital optical outputs.

The Peachtree was in my original shopping list & was looking at the Nova 150 but I read people's reviews complaining about receiving brand new units that were defective. So I decided to check with the local distributor a company named Whizzyaudio to inquire where I could audition one but never got a reply to my email query.

I also looked around Adelphi & only didn't see any Peachtrees. Saw plenty of Yamahas, Marantz. Denons,..
Is Emotiva available locally? Where can I audtion them?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

For those who suggested the Creative Sound Blaster, thanks but I am already using a Boston Accoustic PC speaker system for my PC. It can play loud but I'm looking for quality & not loudness.

My intention is to update my current Yamaha DSP A1 system. It is still a great system but lacks the connectivity of newer preamps. For those not familiar with the Yammy DSP A1 take a look at this video:

[video=youtube;ATANg5nLGEg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATANg5nLGEg[/video]

Here are the specs http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/amps/dsp-a1_black__u/

It's a 23 kg beast and I have 6 speakers connected to this beast. If I ever turned up the volume to the max my neighbours would know about it:biggrin:
However I normally use it to play music CDs.

yangtzejiang

Alfrescian
Loyal

The Peachtree was in my original shopping list & was looking at the Nova 150 but I read people's reviews complaining about receiving brand new units that were defective. So I decided to check with the local distributor a company named Whizzyaudio to inquire where I could audition one but never got a reply to my email query.

I also looked around Adelphi & only didn't see any Peachtrees. Saw plenty of Yamahas, Marantz. Denons,..
Is Emotiva available locally? Where can I audtion them?

i got mine directly from the states, emotiva XDA-2. bought it based on a fren's recommendations, no regrets. but its pure pre-amp, no amp.

i also have the older i-nova, worked great out of the box, and still going strong.

imo, if you're going to use back the DSP-1, XDA-2 will be a better choice than peachtree novas.

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

i got mine directly from the states, emotiva XDA-2. bought it based on a fren's recommendations, no regrets. but its pure pre-amp, no amp.

i also have the older i-nova, worked great out of the box, and still going strong.

imo, if you're going to use back the DSP-1, XDA-2 will be a better choice than peachtree novas.

The DSP 1 is getting old & will probably soon need servicing. I doubt that Yamaha can service a 15 year old product :smile:
That is why I'm looking at replacing it. I was previously staying at a larger place but have since moved into a smaller place. So I don't need all that power.

The reasons I looked at products with local support is because of the different voltages used & the service issues. From reviews of the Emotiva, it has an automatic 120/240 volt detection & will auto adjust . So that takes care of the voltage problem. Do you remember how much you paid for shipping from the US?

I was attracted to the Nova 150 because it seems to be a compact unit. Does the Nova have a dual power supply i.e. 120/240? How much did you pay for the shipping?

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

OMG Christmas is coming soon, Joy to the World ..........

[video=youtube;CHIx6ViBplo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHIx6ViBplo[/video]

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

OMG Christmas is coming soon, Joy to the World ..........

I suspect many Sporeans are going to have a bleak Xmas because they are being laid or expect to hear more bad news. I've been going around to check on products & prices & haven't see the usual crowds of past years

I was planning on doing a small update to my computer & HiFi kit but I've seen so many deals out there that I'm considering doing a major update for slightly more $. :smile:
Seriously looking at getting a pair of Airmotiv powered monitors or their BASX amps & maybe also an XMC pre.