• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Good observation of the sinkie police state by former journalist - joanne leow

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this one confirm not siao, joanne leow now residing in canada, unlike the real siao char bors from mediacock still hanging around and nowhere to go!:oIo:

go thru the article and spot the observation made, for me, i personally in tune with her on the below abstract:

"When you live in a police state it is not only that the actual police wield immense amounts of power. It is that everyone is a part of this state. Everyone polices.

No one tells you explicitly what you’re policing against.

But you know.

No system can be total. No hold can last forever; there are always gaps. Even in the confines of our small island state, there are pockets of possible resistance.

But more and more I wonder if these gaps, these hatches, are simply safety valves permitted by the state as it carefully regulates its mechanisms, its organisms."

https://catapult.co/stories/journalism-and-jiujitsu

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal
READ: A former Channel NewsAsia reporter on feeling restricted as a journalist in Singapore

Reporter
Photo: Pixabay
Being a journalist in Singapore isn't so different from being a jiu-jitsu practitioner, as many news correspondents here would agree (not so much us though — we'd rather poke fun at food bloggers and investigate why menfolk here had disappearing dicks).

Former Channel NewsAsia reporter and presenter Joanne Leow is all too familiar with the art of deflecting blows, getting pinned down, and learning how to take on giants during her time in the industry.

Now a professor at the University of Saskatchewan in Canada, Leow's memories of being a journalist in highly-policed Singapore hasn't strayed far from her mind. In a poetic essay filled with anecdotes from her time facing hostile editors, chasing stories, interviewing Lee Kuan Yew himself, and generally feeling trapped in Singapore, she intersperses her story with parallels of learning jiu-jitsu. Read her rather excellent piece published on online magazine Catapult here, and check out some highlights below:

On living in a police state:

"No system can be total. No hold can last forever; there are always gaps. Even in the confines of our small island state, there are pockets of possible resistance.

But more and more I wonder if these gaps, these hatches, are simply safety valves permitted by the state as it carefully regulates its mechanisms, its organisms.

A poem here, a play there, a piece of rogue performance art, a snatch of conversation in a coffee shop, in a taxicab, a bit of digital chatter, a sliver of code. Or, even, the pleasures of eating well or the fleeting nostalgia for a demolished library, contained in a leftover brick sold at the new library’s gift shop."

On her first encounter with Lee Kuan Yew:

"We are supposed to be deferential and quiet. To not complain about the temperature of the room—set at a chilly 18°C to allow his mind to function efficiently in spite of the tropical heat. My lives, my vitae, laid out before him, just one of a series of stacked manila folders. He would not have walked into this meeting without preparation, without his personal assistant who is always a military attaché, interchangeable men who are always then put out to pasture in foreign missions or put forward for elections as members of parliament.

My orderly progression through the educational ranks seems to please him; he notes with relish that my credentials have slotted me into the correct position in his hierarchy of things. That I have taken his well-known admonishments to study in both in the United States and in China seriously, that I have not broken my bonds or the Official Secrets Act, that I am working assiduously with the national broadcaster to ensure that his government’s press releases are transmitted accurately to the general populace, that I have learned to cross my ts and dot my is and line my eyes with kohl just so. I am a powdered, rouged, sleekly groomed cog in his giant machine."

On a grave mistake made on air:

"Once, on air, my co-host makes an inappropriate political joke. I feel his skin redden beside me as he realizes the magnitude of his gaffe. I remember my own performance, my quizzical turn to the camera, as if trying to cover his out of place body with my own. We are so vulnerable in that studio space, the three automated cameras moving up and down their hydraulically powered stands, each a black glassy eye that reflects our foundation-caked faces. For a moment there he had laid bare the mechanisms of power, how the man and his family were connected to the money, in this, the most incorruptible of states.

“Do you want to get us all fired? Don’t ever do that again!”

The head editor screams from her desk just outside the clear panes of the studio wall. Apologizing profusely, my co-host unbuttons his suit, his skin clammy from the shock of the truth. I hum in wordless sympathy. I open my compact. I powder my nose and check my lipstick."

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Not bad looking for her age.

images

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
[h=2]Welcome to Dr. Joanne Leow[/h]The Department of English would like to welcome Dr. Joanne Leow to the University of Saskatchewan.
Dr. Leow earned her doctoral degree from the Department of English at the University of Toronto. She also holds degrees from Brown University and the National University of Singapore. Most recently, she was a Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council Postdoctoral Fellow at McMaster University and a Visiting Scholar at the University of Toronto's Centre for Diaspora and Transnational Studies. She has taught courses at the University of Toronto and McMaster University.
For most of her twenties, she was a broadcast journalist and news producer in Singapore for Channel NewsAsia. Her work on Southeast Asian and Asian North American literature has been published in Journal of Commonwealth Literature, Canadian Literature, Studies in Canadian Literature, Journal of Postcolonial Writing and Journal of Asian American Studies (forthcoming). Her postdoctoral project, “Nature Capitals: Urban Ecologies and Literary Speculations,” is a comparative ecocritical study of waterfront developments, and literary and cultural texts from Singapore, Hong Kong, Vancouver, and Dubai. She is currently at work on a book manuscript entitled Counter-Cartographies: Literary Wayfinding in Transnational Cities. She works at the intersections of spatial theory, (post)colonial studies, and Asian and Asian Diasporic Literature. Outside academia, she enjoys yoga, Brazilian jiujitsu, cycling, cooking (and eating!), and spending time with her sons, her husband, and her cat, Peanut.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
this one confirm not siao, joanne leow now residing in canada, unlike the real siao char bors from mediacock still hanging around and nowhere to go!:oIo:

go thru the article and spot the observation made, for me, i personally in tune with her on the below abstract:

"When you live in a police state it is not only that the actual police wield immense amounts of power. It is that everyone is a part of this state. Everyone polices.

No one tells you explicitly what you’re policing against.

But you know.

No system can be total. No hold can last forever; there are always gaps. Even in the confines of our small island state, there are pockets of possible resistance.

But more and more I wonder if these gaps, these hatches, are simply safety valves permitted by the state as it carefully regulates its mechanisms, its organisms."

https://catapult.co/stories/journalism-and-jiujitsu

We need more ex-journalists .

spotter542

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Simi police state :rolleyes:
Mata in cahoots with Ah Long San many many moons ago :eek:
Mata can't even handle Little India riot not so many moons ago :mad:
吃里爬外

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
We need more ex-journalists .

Even if 1000 ex journalists spilled the beans on a daily basis for the next 20 years what good would it do? :rolleyes:

Singaporeans know exactly how SPH journalism works and how the PAP operates without the need for ex journalists to tell their horror stories.

However that still does not stop 70% of endorsing the ruling party because it is in their "vested interests" to do so.

The problem with Singapore is not one of ignorance regarding how the country is run. It is the apathy displayed by the populace who are unwilling to rock the boat as long as the system benefits them.

The PAP knows this all too well and therefore see no reason why they should change their modus operandi.

Things would be a lot different today had support for the PAP dropped to below 55% with 30 opposition MPs in parliament. However the electorate spoke and the PAP gleefully accepted the endorsement.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Even if 1000 ex journalists spilled the beans on a daily basis for the next 20 years what good would it do? :rolleyes:

Singaporeans know exactly how SPH journalism works and how the PAP operates without the need for ex journalists to tell their horror stories.

However that still does not stop 70% of endorsing the ruling party because it is in their "vested interests" to do so.

The problem with Singapore is not one of ignorance regarding how the country is run. It is the apathy displayed by the populace who are unwilling to rock the boat as long as the system benefits them.

The PAP knows this all too well and therefore see no reason why they should change their modus operandi.

Things would be a lot different today had support for the PAP dropped to below 55% with 30 opposition MPs in parliament. However the electorate spoke and the PAP gleefully accepted the endorsement.

Spoken like a true politician.
Too bad you aren't one or used to be?.

flatearther

Alfrescian
Loyal
she has that nose kena langar by truck look.
I was referring to her sweet voice and cute mannerisms. :o
Also, I did not say "pretty", let alone "pretty face", right? :wink:
Although, in my opinion, her face looks quite cute/adorable (which I consider to have a different meaning from "pretty/beautiful"). :o

But of course, she still can't hold a candle to one of Japan's best/top/favourite TV "announcers", the lovely Katou Ayako:
ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/加藤綾子

[video=youtube;qEyYYViH3jc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEyYYViH3jc[/video]
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 140923622814716233226_katop20110515_15_l.jpg
    140923622814716233226_katop20110515_15_l.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 1,782
  • E58AA0E897A4E382A2E3838A_Fotor.jpg
    E58AA0E897A4E382A2E3838A_Fotor.jpg
    615.4 KB · Views: 1,256
  • 7bc9edce725c3c5566258e06e89886b3.png
    7bc9edce725c3c5566258e06e89886b3.png
    127.6 KB · Views: 1,160
  • ayako_kato_201107021a5.jpg
    ayako_kato_201107021a5.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 1,418
  • da07f9d9aa0fe482c20597c58f216750.jpg
    da07f9d9aa0fe482c20597c58f216750.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,354
Last edited:

bodycells

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was referring to her sweet voice and cute mannerisms. :o
Also, I did not say "pretty", let alone "pretty face". :wink:
Although, in my opinion, her face looks quite cute/adorable (which I consider to have a different meaning from "pretty/beautiful"). :o

But of course, she still can't hold a candle to one of Japan's best/top/favourite TV "announcers", the lovely Katou Ayako:
ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/加藤綾子

[video=youtube;qEyYYViH3jc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEyYYViH3jc[/video]
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

How come a thread on am ex journalist talking about a police state has turn to become a pussy worshipping thread.. Mangina losers getting lose here.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In exchange for well educated/qualified locals they import Pinoys ,PRC's and Indian FT's with qualifications we have never heard before -any surprise why things are beaking/falling down but cost always going up.

How long can an expensive car with cheap/imitation parts from china,india, pinoyland function?-
you will start to see it starting to breakdown and coming apart-but which passenger will pay the price before the vehicle eventually collapse?

Last edited: