• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious New grads unemployment over 4%. They should ask their parents who they voted for

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
[h=1]Is Youth Unemployment In Singapore A Worry With Job Stagnation?[/h]

Kyle Malinda-White

Popspoken14 October 2016

8ba1269054362029dd31b6d69e8e92c2

Youth Unemployment In Singapore - Popspoken

When Elizabeth Boon took photos for her graduation shoot that went viral, she said she was “learning that graduating really just means unemployment and impending bankruptcy”. With the current soft job market, will youth unemployment in Singapore become a cause for concern?
Singapore’s job market does not look to be in good shape, and manpower minister Lim Swee Say reiterated this in Parliament earlier this week, saying that local labour force growth could stagnate in the next decade due to factors such as workers today looking for jobs that are different from those who have vacated them.
These jobseekers have better education and skills profiles and may be looking for jobs that meet these expectations and goals, said Lim.
He even said to fresh graduates that if they are able to adapt and acquire new skill sets, they may be able to weather the storm if they are not picky with their job requirements – a familiar line that was said by minister Chan Chun Sing last month.
With a current unemployment rate for degree-holders at 4.3 percent as of June this year, the highest since 2009, and employers not looking to hire this year, it could spell more problems for youth today.
Amanda Foo, a communications and new media major in her final semester at the National University of Singapore believes that jobseekers like her are looking for something with growth and opportunity.
“I’m looking for jobs with growth opportunities. That’s the most important factor to me. I want learning opportunities, opportunities to diversify my portfolio and add to my skill sets,” she said.
However, for some fresh graduates, they have observed that some companies expect a lot from them but with pay that is not commensurate with their needs.
“A lot of these jobs look at years of work experience and although I’ve been working for a few years now, these jobs would only want to offer me entry-level pay as “Oh, you need to learn how our company works, get used to the new work here”,” said Zakk, 24, who held a previous job as a junior producer but now works in an administrative job to take a break from the creative field.
She believes such companies are willing to pay lesser for interns or entry-level graduates instead of rewarding those with something more valuable.
“It’s a pity because I believe I’ve something valuable to offer to these companies with my skill sets and I’m definitely open to learn and enhance them with their guidance,” she said.
However, Georgia Ho, 24, a recent graduate from the English Literature major in the Nanyang Technological University, believes that succeeding in the current job market will mean that jobseekers have to adjust expectations. She intends to work in the book publishing industry, but is also open to jobs surrounding other forms of content creation.
“I believe it’s how you present yourself and put yourself out there to find a job where, as Aristotle puts it, your “talents and the needs of the world cross”,” she said.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]Is Youth Unemployment In Singapore A Worry With Job Stagnation?[/h]

Kyle Malinda-White

Popspoken14 October 2016

8ba1269054362029dd31b6d69e8e92c2

Youth Unemployment In Singapore - Popspoken

When Elizabeth Boon took photos for her graduation shoot that went viral, she said she was “learning that graduating really just means unemployment and impending bankruptcy”. With the current soft job market, will youth unemployment in Singapore become a cause for concern?
Singapore’s job market does not look to be in good shape, and manpower minister Lim Swee Say reiterated this in Parliament earlier this week, saying that local labour force growth could stagnate in the next decade due to factors such as workers today looking for jobs that are different from those who have vacated them.
These jobseekers have better education and skills profiles and may be looking for jobs that meet these expectations and goals, said Lim.
He even said to fresh graduates that if they are able to adapt and acquire new skill sets, they may be able to weather the storm if they are not picky with their job requirements – a familiar line that was said by minister Chan Chun Sing last month.
With a current unemployment rate for degree-holders at 4.3 percent as of June this year, the highest since 2009, and employers not looking to hire this year, it could spell more problems for youth today.
Amanda Foo, a communications and new media major in her final semester at the National University of Singapore believes that jobseekers like her are looking for something with growth and opportunity.
“I’m looking for jobs with growth opportunities. That’s the most important factor to me. I want learning opportunities, opportunities to diversify my portfolio and add to my skill sets,” she said.
However, for some fresh graduates, they have observed that some companies expect a lot from them but with pay that is not commensurate with their needs.
“A lot of these jobs look at years of work experience and although I’ve been working for a few years now, these jobs would only want to offer me entry-level pay as “Oh, you need to learn how our company works, get used to the new work here”,” said Zakk, 24, who held a previous job as a junior producer but now works in an administrative job to take a break from the creative field.
She believes such companies are willing to pay lesser for interns or entry-level graduates instead of rewarding those with something more valuable.
“It’s a pity because I believe I’ve something valuable to offer to these companies with my skill sets and I’m definitely open to learn and enhance them with their guidance,” she said.
However, Georgia Ho, 24, a recent graduate from the English Literature major in the Nanyang Technological University, believes that succeeding in the current job market will mean that jobseekers have to adjust expectations. She intends to work in the book publishing industry, but is also open to jobs surrounding other forms of content creation.
“I believe it’s how you present yourself and put yourself out there to find a job where, as Aristotle puts it, your “talents and the needs of the world cross”,” she said.

It's about time MOM review their free for all EPs, or whatever passes they dish out to those FTs that has been brought in lock, stock and barrel.

It makes a mockery of the Local university when local grads can't get jobs and all the FTs with their from don't know what university certs, are being employed.

Talk about Singaporean core........when local grads can't even find a job.
As for the PMETs, it's even worse......

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Where else in the world can you find 96% of graduates gainfully employed after graduation? Only here. Singapore, city of dreams. :smile:

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's about time MOM review their free for all EPs, or whatever passes they dish out to those FTs that has been brought in lock, stock and barrel.

It makes a mockery of the Local university when local grads can't get jobs and all the FTs with their from don't know what university certs, are being employed.

Talk about Singaporean core........when local grads can't even find a job.
As for the PMETs, it's even worse......

I can see that Donald Trump's hateful, racist and divisive rhetoric has rubbed off on you.

When will you see that we are stronger when we are together.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
I can see that Donald Trump's hateful, racist and divisive rhetoric has rubbed off on you.

Of course stronger together. Why would anyonr want to be weaker together with the 4% and other low income losers? :confused:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
96% sinkie graduates can find good jobs. That's pretty good of the PAP gahmen. The 4% losers need to shape up or ship out. They can go join the refugees in Germany or Sweden and get some handouts!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I predict that by the next GE the main issue will be about jobs & that is why LHL is preparing to run road, I mean retire to spend more time "fixing" from behind the scenes.

WujiBo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every questions always ended up asking back the same questions. Like that how to think out of the box and find solutions?

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal
In a poor business environment like now, what most businesses need is sharp, experienced players who can hit the ground running….who don't need their hands held and shown the ropes….who has time for that? An employee has to be self aware and self sufficient enough to do what's right for the company.

New grads are poorly equipped…they are sadly in the wrong place at the wrong time.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there are very few openings too in the ultra hot bay area job market for grads in literature, arts, humanities, political science, psychology, marketing, business admin, etc. there are many unfilled positions though in engineering, coding, information security, technology, robotics, artificial intelligence, etc. average starting pay of a school teacher is around $36k. average starting pay of a coder is $110k. you get the idea. university students who can't qualify for comp science and engineering have very little chance landing a good job. many end up teaching english in china and some have to go to hollywood or broadway in nyc working as stagehands or begging for lowly assistant jobs, such as serving beverage to production crew, cast members, makeup artists and actors. to make ends meet, they work in cafes, bars and restaurants. for those who can't make it in science and tech majors but wish to get a good-paying job in the tech sector (probably the only sector paying well for fresh grads besides finance, economics and investment analysis in wall street), they can join boot camp academies specializing in coding and apps and get a good paying job right away after 6 to 9 months. app academy in sf is one such school, and they charge 10% of the student's first full year at work, which is typically about $10k.

EnBloc

Alfrescian
Loyal
4% unemployment among fresh grads? Give the government a Tiger. No other developed economy has such a low unemployment rate for fresh grads.

But of course low unemployment doesn't mean no unemployment.

Like Lim Swee Say and many other veterans have said, please don't be picky and choosy.

You may think we like to lecture you but no we don't. We like you to be independent as soon as you can.

Don't you feel ashamed to be using pocket money from parents at 21, 22..25?

Stop whining and get a freaking job!

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
4% unemployment among fresh grads? Give the government a Tiger. No other developed economy has such a low unemployment rate for fresh grads.

But of course low unemployment doesn't mean no unemployment.

Like Lim Swee Say and many other veterans have said, please don't be picky and choosy.

You may think we like to lecture you but no we don't. We like you to be independent as soon as you can.

Don't you feel ashamed to be using pocket money from parents at 21, 22..25?

Stop whining and get a freaking job!

If you believe the 4% figure, then you must also believe that GST is good for you and that FTs will create jobs for you. If you have been in singapore for any length of time, you should know that any PAP bad news, multiply it by at least a factor of 2. Any PAP good news, half it by 2. that is the rule of thumb.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if the going gets tough, the tough gets going.
start a biz or something, you have nothing to lose.

opportunities are everywhere....start a gigolo or kwey network....who won't want to pay to fuck a U grad?