• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious SPH To Retrench Around 400 Employees! Old And Unproductive Workers Scared!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
tumblr_inline_oex343PZSs1s072d1_1280.jpg

Singapore Press Holdings (SPH) is expected to trim up to 10 per cent of its workforce as part of a company-wide restructuring exercise, according to a Bloomberg report.

Between five and 10 per cent, mostly part-time workers, are expected to go, the financial news agency reported Wednesday (12 Oct), citing three people with knowledge of the matter.

Bloomberg also said that the Singapore media conglomerate is planning to merge two tabloids, The New Paper and My Paper, and the new “free sheet” will focus on providing news to business-savvy readers to compete with MediaCorp’s Today newspaper.

According to its financial report for the fiscal third quarter, as of end-May this year, SPH had a head count of 4,229 employees, and its staff costs amounted to some $277 million.

Multiple sources within SPH told Yahoo Singapore that the media group plans to hold a town hall with its employees next Monday (17 October).

An employee with an SPH publication, who did not want to be named, said that about 20 staff from The New Paper will be laid off. A number of TNP staff will also be deployed to other publications, said the employee, who added that the mood at SPH is sombre, with many worried about their future.

The older folks are especially concerned about being laid off, given that the economy is not doing so well now. I am concerned too as I am already in my 50s and I still have a family to look after,” the employee added.

Another SPH source said that manpower at TNP would be cut to about 50. Yahoo Singapore understands that the tabloid currently has about 90 staff.

Another employee with The New Paper said, “The mood in the office is very quiet. Yes, I’m concerned. I don’t know where I will go after that if I’m affected.”

Sources inside The Business Times, which revamped its look last week, say the paper is expected to be largely unaffected by the cull.

In response to queries from Yahoo Singapore on the impending changes, an SPH spokesman said, “We do not comment on speculation.”

Troubled times for SPH

For the fiscal third quarter ended 31 May, SPH reported that its net profit fell by 46.4 per cent to $52.7 million compared to the same period a year earlier, dragged down by a decline in its core media business and sluggish economic conditions.

The media business saw a 9.2 per cent drop in advertisment revenue to $15.7 million.

SPH will be releasing its financial year 2016 results on Friday (14 October).

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/singapore-press-holdings-to-cut-5-10-per-cent-of-043657064.html

biondi

Alfrescian
Loyal
With so many news site churning out free articles after free articles, who wants to read the 154th media?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
With so many news site churning out free articles after free articles, who wants to read the 154th media?

If the news doesn't appear in the mainstream media, it is not reliable and not considered official. Everyone would give their front teeth to have their event covered by the Straits' Times, especially Chee Soon Juan.

biondi

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the news doesn't appear in the mainstream media, it is not reliable and not considered official. Everyone would give their front teeth to have their event covered by the Straits' Times, especially Chee Soon Juan.

And when CSJ gets interviewed by MSM, he turns around and accused the MSM of being biased. Ungrateful bastard.

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal
They shouldn't panic so much…$150 get rebate will be given to offset any job losses.

They can also avail of job bank resume collection service and embark on some useless free self improvement courses.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Who did they vote for?

They probably voted for the PAP. It is the price that they paid for their jobs. With the economy doing so badly expect more PAP loyalists to be laid off.
By the next GE there will be many resentful ex-PAP supporters out there who will think twice about supporting the PAP.

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is it wise to retrench ur propaganda workforce in times of downturn?now is the time SG needs ur propaganda most.

Easy. Just outsource to Indian journal writing factories. They probably have better standards of English and play with words than the Sinkie NUS BA graduate doggies.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Singapore Press Holdings (SPH) is expected to trim up to 10 per cent of its workforce as part of a company-wide restructuring exercise, according to a Bloomberg report.

Between five and 10 per cent, mostly part-time workers, are expected to go, the financial news agency reported Wednesday (12 Oct), citing three people with knowledge of the matter.

Bloomberg also said that the Singapore media conglomerate is planning to merge two tabloids, The New Paper and My Paper, and the new “free sheet” will focus on providing news to business-savvy readers to compete with MediaCorp’s Today newspaper.

According to its financial report for the fiscal third quarter, as of end-May this year, SPH had a head count of 4,229 employees, and its staff costs amounted to some $277 million.

Multiple sources within SPH told Yahoo Singapore that the media group plans to hold a town hall with its employees next Monday (17 October).

An employee with an SPH publication, who did not want to be named, said that about 20 staff from The New Paper will be laid off. A number of TNP staff will also be deployed to other publications, said the employee, who added that the mood at SPH is sombre, with many worried about their future.

The older folks are especially concerned about being laid off, given that the economy is not doing so well now. I am concerned too as I am already in my 50s and I still have a family to look after,” the employee added.

Another SPH source said that manpower at TNP would be cut to about 50. Yahoo Singapore understands that the tabloid currently has about 90 staff.

Another employee with The New Paper said, “The mood in the office is very quiet. Yes, I’m concerned. I don’t know where I will go after that if I’m affected.”

Sources inside The Business Times, which revamped its look last week, say the paper is expected to be largely unaffected by the cull.

In response to queries from Yahoo Singapore on the impending changes, an SPH spokesman said, “We do not comment on speculation.”

Troubled times for SPH

For the fiscal third quarter ended 31 May, SPH reported that its net profit fell by 46.4 per cent to $52.7 million compared to the same period a year earlier, dragged down by a decline in its core media business and sluggish economic conditions.

The media business saw a 9.2 per cent drop in advertisment revenue to $15.7 million.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/singapore-press-holdings-to-cut-5-10-per-cent-of-043657064.html

Hopefully those in their 50s with family to look after have paid up their mortgage loan. The consolation is that they will be getting their hands on the cpf monies soon.... Or whatever is left of it after minimum sum lah, retirement acct lah, medisave lah, medishield lah......

EnBloc

Alfrescian
Loyal
My SPH shares will outperform after the company removes all the deadweight. So many publications without real focus. They should also shut down Business Times which has been losing money since Day 1. Today is nothing to shout about but it's free.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal

Troubled times for SPH

A total monopoly and still losing money .
Who wants to read propaganda ?

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those retrenched will be the lowly workers.

Do not hold your breath of any fat cats in the pink list.

PAP govt will never allow these fat cats to be out of the bag (figuratively) as these cats knows too much the way the govt wants them to work.