• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Fewer security guard jobs in the future

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the future jobless Sinkies may face greater competition when they apply to work as security guards.

"Looking out for you, from elsewhere"
The Sunday Times, page A11
October 9, 2016

AT THE TAN BOON LIAT BUILDING off Outram Road is an office about half the size of a basketball court with just over 40 computer screens.

In it, more than half a dozen people remotely monitor over 6,000 locations in Singapore.

This is the central monitoring station of the Ademco Security Group, and the nerve centre of surveillance for the company's clients in the public and private sectors.

Instead of having their own security guards monitor their premises, these companies rely on Ademco to do everything from monitoring their carparks to looking out for medical emergencies and preventing would-be intruders from trying to break-in.

Security companies told The Sunday Times this is what surveillance and security will increasingly look like - with monitoring done off-site, reducing the need for security guards on the ground.

Certis Cisco, which is handling security for these malls, said security manpower needs for these malls have been reduced by one-fifth.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yeah then u hve the typical scene from movies - the heist is completed, the baddies all run away, then the security or Mata arrive.

biondi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wah, when self driving car is the norm of commuters and Grab and Uber is gone, what can 40 plus unemployed PMETs fall back on now when they can't even work as a security guard?

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wah, when self driving car is the norm of commuters and Grab and Uber is gone, what can 40 plus unemployed PMETs fall back on now when they can't even work as a security guard?

Very pertinent question.

Your Sinkie compatriots must ask Chief Natural Aristocrat this question during the next GE. However I'm sure they'll accept whatever stupid reason your Prime Ministar gives.

biondi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Very pertinent question.

Your Sinkie compatriots must ask Chief Natural Aristocrat this question during the next GE. However I'm sure they'll accept whatever stupid reason your Prime Ministar gives.

They will probably ask to go and upgrade with worthless diploma from WSQ

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
for warehouses and many other buildings where minimum human interaction is required (high human interaction is an office building with multi tenant occupancy) there's no point putting a human jaga at the premise when extensive camera and sensor surveillance will do. this is especially true in urbanized sg where mean travel time to site is less than an hour during off-peak hours, i.e. hours when suspicious events typically occur. moreover, a lone jaga or two will not be garang and overpowering enough in strength and firepower to prevent or thwart a determined and organized breakin. lone jaga hired is typically a loser and weakling who can't get a job anywhere else. and even if poodles intervene, they will simply hide in scdf ambulances until event is cleared. the best remote automated jaga is the camera and sensor surveillance coupled with a powerful taser or zapper that can zap and knock out intruders from any corner. if intruder dies from seizure or heart attacks, too bad.

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As the PAP imports more citizens from the 3rd world there will be more crime in Spore.

Just look at those police billboards advertising the crime committed at various heartland centres. There is already plenty of petty crime & bank robberies. You can't even go go around on a bicycle because eventually someone will steal it.

Knew someone who used a bicycle to get around. First someone stole the pillon seat that was installed on the back. Then someone stole the bicycle seat. Then there was the bank robbery at Holland Village. The culprit had already escaped to Thailand when the Spore police identified the criminal. What about when there is a riot in Spore. Will taking pictures of the culprits help to prevent the damage done?

As more foreigners are imported into Spore, they will start to outnumber the police. This is why they are looking for cheap but ineffective ways to cope. Nowadays it is common to see Certis patrol cars patrolling landed property areas instead of the police. Everything in Spore costs $. In the future the PAP will probably privatise the police force.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
for warehouses and many other buildings where minimum human interaction is required (high human interaction is an office building with multi tenant occupancy) there's no point putting a human jaga at the premise when extensive camera and sensor surveillance will do. this is especially true in urbanized sg where mean travel time to site is less than an hour during off-peak hours, i.e. hours when suspicious events typically occur. moreover, a lone jaga or two will not be garang and overpowering enough in strength and firepower to prevent or thwart a determined and organized breakin. lone jaga hired is typically a loser and weakling who can't get a job anywhere else. and even if poodles intervene, they will simply hide in scdf ambulances until event is cleared. the best remote automated jaga is the camera and sensor surveillance coupled with a powerful taser or zapper that can zap and knock out intruders from any corner. if intruder dies from seizure or heart attacks, too bad.

Security guards and certis guards are more dangerous people outside of their work than the commoners . We are giving authority to dangerous people to catch less dangerous people :*:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Security guards and certis guards are more dangerous people outside of their work than the commoners . We are giving authority to dangerous people to catch less dangerous people :*:

is this guard dangerous, or is the electrical room behind him more dangerous?

image.jpg

prancku

Alfrescian
Loyal
While he is on duty, the electrical room is more dangerous. When he off duty he is more dangerous :p

Wah lao ehh....did we see a two bar lieutenant? .....to guard a warehouse? :*::confused:

Unfortunately, in Singapore, such happenings are common.....millions paid to clowns for doing nothing...and no accountabilities at all when things go wrong....:eek::(

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wah lao ehh....did we see a two bar lieutenant? .....to guard a warehouse? :*::confused:

Unfortunately, in Singapore, such happenings are common.....millions paid to clowns for doing nothing...and no accountabilities at all when things go wrong....:eek::(

Walau why u say eatshitndie is a clown.

BTW some of them have a tie with 2 bar .when they walk around changi airport they might be mistaken as pilot 2nd officer.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Walau why u say eatshitndie is a clown.

BTW some of them have a tie with 2 bar .when they walk around changi airport they might be mistaken as pilot 2nd officer.

thanks to chinese dog i've been promoted to 3 bars. now playing pokemon go while walking in warehouse.

MisterGuard

Alfrescian
Loyal
After their removal from the shopping malls, where can they go? Condominiums? Office buildings? But what if other places decide to follow suit and use technology as an excuse to cut down on the number of security guards at their premises?

Where would those guards go? Let me tell you one hard truth about the security industry in Singapore. I have been working (on an on-and-off basis) as a security guard myself since 1999, and I can tell you that many security guards are unable to move out of their comfort zone in the security industry.

Many of my colleagues don’t even have ‘O’ levels. And I met plenty who were only educated up to primary-school level. But they were able to make a somewhat decent living because security guards working at malls get paid several hundred dollars more than guards at other assignments like schools or condominiums.

Now, maybe those guards who were let go by the malls can find vacancies at less lucrative sites and they can continue to wear their uniforms, but if they are unlucky… What then? Factory jobs are even harder to come by nowadays and many cleaning companies tend to hire cheap foreign workers. You tell me. What can a ex-security guard with primary-level education find in today’s job market?

Finally, I have to ask this question that nobody else seems to be asking.

WHY NOW?

The malls are using reliance on technology as an excuse to cut down on manpower, but those tech stuff like CCTV cameras have existed for years. The malls aren’t buying new cutting edge technology like security robots, but simply relying on technology that has existed for years already. So why didn’t they cut jobs back then? Why now?

I will tell you why.

Because from September 2016, a security guard’s monthly basic wage will rise from $800 to $1,100 under the new wage ladder announced by the National Trades Union Congress back in 2014. Guards have to be paid more from September 2016 onwards and the malls cut down on the number of guards they have to pay starting from the 1st of October. Wow, they sure act fast, don’t they?

If you are working as a security guard, you should be worried about this trend. Because I have this feeling, right here in my guts, that we will not see an end to the job cuts. If nobody kicks up a fuss now, then condominiums, factories, office buildings and schools may be encouraged to follow suit.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Typical sinkie loser. Security guard pay low you complain; higher you also complain. What you want? :confused:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there are also apps on smartphones which allow users to view surveillance cams at home and parked car and check temperature and contents of food in fridge, ambient temperature and humidity of each room, water heater temperature, pet movements, gas/electric and water meters. of course, user has to install cams, sensors and home/auto monitoring devices. jaga job is going the way of self-help and remote monitoring. i'm ok losing my $699 a month jaga job. more free time for catching snorlax and cardboard collection.