• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious 5000 Teachers Resign Over 5 Years Despite Pay Raises! Become Tutors and Uber Drivers?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
school1.jpg

About 5,000 teachers have left the teaching force over the last five years, prompting calls from observers for more to be done to retain them by reducing their administrative load.

That said, the annual resignation rate of teachers has "remained low at around 3 per cent" the last five years, said the Ministry of Education (MOE).

The teaching force of more than 33,000 officers has remained stable, it added, in response to queries from The Straits Times.

Still, the resignation rate has gone up from 2 per cent, or 400 to 500 resignations a year, a figure disclosed by MOE at the Budget debate in 2000. There were about 23,000 trained teachers then.

The Straits Times spoke to a dozen teachers who had left and two-thirds said they did so because of the administrative workload - a longstanding complaint that underscores the challenge the MOE faces in trying to resolve the issue.

As far back as 2005, the ministry had hired allied educators to help teachers with their paperwork and students' counselling needs. It had said previously it aims to employ 2,800 of them by last year.

Those who left the teaching service include (clockwise from left) Mr Wynn Khoo, Mr Fairoz D'Cruz and Madam Roziani Rashid. Mr Khoo said Singapore has many passionate teachers, but many tend to be overworked.

Long hours, stress cited as reasons for leaving teaching force

The ministry said the top three reasons for teachers' resignations are "for childcare, other family considerations and a desire for a change of job".

Former chemistry teacher Lily Sim, 36, left the profession in 2014.

On a typical day, Ms Sim, who spent 10 years at National Junior College, would be in school from 7am to 7pm. More than half of those 12 hours were spent on tasks such as organising school events.

"Teachers are not given enough time to build the depth in teaching skills due to other duties that they have to juggle," said Ms Sim.

"I decided to leave as I wasn't able to focus fully on what I love to do, which is to teach."

Long hours, huge class sizes, and overly demanding parents are reasons they called it quits, some former teachers said.

Mr Bernard Lim, 59, who has about 20 years of experience teaching in schools, said the "paperwork increased many-fold over time". It took a toll on him, resulting in two bouts of depression in 2003 and 2005. "When I was close to recovery, I reasoned the illness would recur if I stayed on, so I resigned," said Mr Lim, who left the profession at the end of 2005 and is now a tutor.

While observers note the proportion of exits is low compared with other professions, they say it is a waste of the trained teaching talent.

Jalan Besar GRC MP Denise Phua, who heads the Government Parliamentary Committee for Education, said the annual resignation rate for teachers is "not overly alarming, compared to other industries". "But every excellent educator who leaves the sector is still one too many," she said, adding that the MOE should continue looking into how the marking load can be reduced.

The ministry has made several improvements in recent years. In August last year, it said up to 30,000 teachers will get 4 per cent to 9 per cent increases in their monthly wages to keep pace with the market.

Mr Clarence Tng, 40, a head of department at Tanjong Katong Secondary School, said the MOE and schools have been looking at ways to assist teachers. For instance, teachers are supported by allied educators and the schools' administrative team.

He added that being an educator involves putting students' interests first. "That is the very uniqueness of this profession. Sometimes, we sacrifice at our end so that their lives can be more fulfilled."

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/education/5000-teachers-leave-service-over-five-years

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: 5000 Teachers Resign Over 5 Years Despite Pay Raises! Become Tutors and Uber Driv

The School's Admin Team supports the Principal and Vice Principal. The Admin Team does what the Principal and VP want and pass some of these wants to the teachers.

Dont be fooled that the Admin Team helps to reduce teachers' workload. In some cases this team creates more work for the teachers

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: 5000 Teachers Resign Over 5 Years Despite Pay Raises! Become Tutors and Uber Driv

I am shocked that so many teachers have left or could leave. I was always under the impression that outside of teaching, their skills have little market value. There are 5000 alternative jobs for them besides driving taxi or uber, private tutoring and whoring?

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal

I am shocked that so many teachers have left or could leave. I was always under the impression that outside of teaching, their skills have little market value. There are 5000 alternative jobs for them besides driving taxi or uber, private tutoring and whoring?

From your myopic and often silly postings here, I am not surprised that you dont know a lot of things.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal

The reason teachers leave is because of the MOE. Either they do not support teachers adequately or they choose the wrong people. People become teachers to teach. If they wanted to be corporate minons they would join the private sector. As tutors they do just that - teach.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

They are the World's highest paid teachers and they are leaving in large numbers. That will tell any sane person that there is serious issue with our Education system. Lets assume that 50% of those who resigned felt the grass was greener elsewhere but the remaining numbers are still very high. One issue that has come up besides high workload is the politics around the appointment and remuneration of Principals. Once you become principal, the remuneration is very high. The competition is very stiff. Ambitious HODs start become slave drivers and the teachers end up becoming stress balls.

I remember a parent telling me about a teacher who told the parents that they must prepare their child for school lessons by going thru his work before each school day. She was blatant about it and expected others to contribute to her eventual success.

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal

The reason teachers leave is because of the MOE. Either they do not support teachers adequately or they choose the wrong people. People become teachers to teach. If they wanted to be corporate minons they would join the private sector. As tutors they do just that - teach.

You are right. The reason many teachers leave is MOE HQ.

MOE HQ often act high and almighty and does not support the Principal or teachers doing their jobs and trying their best. When a parent complains, MOE often panics and wants to please the parent. MOE often tells the Principal or teacher to do what the parent wants. This causes morale problems on the grounds. Often it is the excellent teachers who leave. Those who have no other choices, will remain behind and suck thumb.

This MOE's lack of courage to face the parents is killing. MOE HQ needs to change and help teachers rather than be a stumbling block

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal

They are the World's highest paid teachers and they are leaving in large numbers. That will tell any sane person that there is serious issue with our Education system. Lets assume that 50% of those who resigned felt the grass was greener elsewhere but the remaining numbers are still very high. One issue that has come up besides high workload is the politics around the appointment and remuneration of Principals. Once you become principal, the remuneration is very high. The competition is very stiff. Ambitious HODs start become slave drivers and the teachers end up becoming stress balls.

I remember a parent telling me about a teacher who told the parents that they must prepare their child for school lessons by going thru his work before each school day. She was blatant about it and expected others to contribute to her eventual success.

Teachers are not treated with respect by MOE. Any HR personnel knows that pay itself cant serve to remove dissatisfaction.

Many teachers are dissatisfied with MOE staff who are not supportive. That is a major contributor to the high resignation rate

Last edited:

WujiBo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Invest in PRC property markets.

Its a boomtown in China. Everybody is investing in PRC.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Moe should consider installing cctv in every class rooms and give teachers full rights to carry out punishment . Or else is like asking animals trainer to tame animals without any precaution.

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal

Moe should consider installing cctv in every class rooms and give teachers full rights to carry out punishment . Or else is like asking animals trainer to tame animals without any precaution.

Yes, MOE has treated teachers as if they are naive and deny them effective classroom management

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal

She probably meant get the tutor to prepare the kid for class.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Good schools with good students are usually self contained devices,they require very little input or micromanagement and are usually high achievers by nature.they are like well designed operating systems,with beautifully crafted u.I.in fact I find teachers in good schools do less work cause the students teach themselves.

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal

Good schools with good students are usually self contained devices,they require very little input or micromanagement and are usually high achievers by nature.they are like well designed operating systems,with beautifully crafted u.I.in fact I find teachers in good schools do less work cause the students teach themselves.

The sources of stress in good schools are parents and MOE staff, not students because these students are self motivated

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yes class rooms monitoring devices exempted for good schools. Start installing on notorious schools today.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The sources of stress in good schools are parents and MOE staff, not students because these students are self motivated

Yes monitoring devices to be installed In teachers and principals office for good schools.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

ST_20161003_CYSCHOOL03_H808_2639890.jpg

Mr Fairoz D'Cruz, 32, quit the teaching service in mid-2014, after teaching for seven years at secondary schools in Singapore.

"Work starts at 7am and does not end when I get home at 6pm," he said. "I have had parents and teachers calling me past midnight. This made my wife unhappy as time with her was taken up by school matters, even on weekends and holidays."

His passion for teaching was renewed only when he moved overseas in 2014, when he taught in Morocco for a year, he said. Now, he teaches biology in Germany at the International School Frankfurt Rhein-Main.

Mr D'Cruz said the experience has opened his eyes "to how much better it can be". "There is constant support and reward for the teacher," he said, adding that there are no calls or e-mails outside school hours.

Among those who left, some become tutors, cashing in on growing demand. Others become career coaches or entrepreneurs.

Madam Roziani Rashid, 39, left teaching eight years ago as she craved for more time with her three children, who were then three, six and seven.

When she was a teacher, she regularly put in 12-hour days - from 7am to 7pm. "If I continued, I know I would have no time for my kids," she said. "I didn't think I would quit teaching, but it was too stressful."

Madam Roziani, who taught science subjects for seven years, now runs a health and wellness business.

Mr Anthony Fok, 32, whose childhood ambition was to be a teacher, taught for four years before leaving in 2012 to pursue his PhD at the National Institute of Education. He now runs a tuition centre.

Former teacher Wynn Khoo, 31, who taught physics and principles of accounts for the last five years, also switched to full-time tutoring this January as it gives him flexibility and allows him more time with his family.

"We have many passionate teachers, but many of them tend to be overworked," he said.

Calvin Yang

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/education/long-hours-stress-cited-as-reasons

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

From your myopic and often silly postings here, I am not surprised that you dont know a lot of things.

you are then the frog in the well! ah john knows a lot better than the nit wits hanging day in day out here.:biggrin:

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal

Singkie Teacher lack the drive to succeed. They want a lot of money but don't want the stress. If Parents are calling him after school even at 12 midnight , i think he should consider quitting job. He has no management skills .

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal

Singkie Teacher lack the drive to succeed. They want a lot of money but don't want the stress. If Parents are calling him after school even at 12 midnight , i think he should consider quitting job. He has no management skills .

I agree. Teachers must value themselves and their families and know how to manage parents expectations.

Once they can do that parents wont dare to call them after office hours