• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

JB-SIN-JB Commuting Times (DAILY)

Charlie258

Alfrescian
Loyal
I tried using Tuas before....can ride and cry at same time...because also can be jammed like hell and distance to home more than doubled! :( The only good thing about Tuas side is that there is no upslope viaduct like Woodlands, so can switch off engine and push bike on flat road. At Woodlands viaduct...always must keep hands on brakes or else bike roll back, and must keep engine on because no bull strength to keep pushing uphill.:o

Ride small bike like Kapchai can push easily, even Uphill. It is only the big huge 4-cylinder bikes, 500 cc and bigger, that are difficult to push.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ride small bike like Kapchai can push easily, even Uphill. It is only the big huge 4-cylinder bikes, 500 cc and bigger, that are difficult to push.

Mine is 400cc ride, also push until "hair hair chuan"... maybe in 4 years time my bike COE expire will consider downsizing. :p

Charlie258

Alfrescian
Loyal
It does not cost much to keep a 125 cc to 150 cc. small bike as a "standby." But you got to avoid Peak Hours on Woodlands causeway. The jam is a real "killer."

The past 2 months, weather hot until, by the time you reach the immigration booth counter, you look like you just fall into the Straits of Johor----soaking wet. :mad:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
It does not cost much to keep a 125 cc to 150 cc. small bike as a "standby." But you got to avoid Peak Hours on Woodlands causeway. The jam is a real "killer."

The past 2 months, weather hot until, by the time you reach the immigration booth counter, you look like you just fall into the Straits of Johor----soaking wet. :mad:

I still prefer my current 400cc ride, no point spending money to get another vehicle and leave the other on standby. I not cash rich leh. Bike jams is always sweat one...so I have portable fan attached to bike to cool me down which is helpful.

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I still prefer my current 400cc ride, no point spending money to get another vehicle and leave the other on standby. I not cash rich leh. Bike jams is always sweat one...so I have portable fan attached to bike to cool me down which is helpful.

Avoid being in the standstill traffic with engine on on a regular basis, the fumes are so bad for the health it's like smoking full pack of cigarettes every time. Stay healthy to enjoy the good life bro....

eric3417

Alfrescian
Loyal
A man's got to do what a man's gotta do which is to put Food on the table. What our bro Frodo can do however is to protect his body by consuming High Anti-Oxidants food to negate those Nasty Free Radicals.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
A man's got to do what a man's gotta do which is to put Food on the table. What our bro Frodo can do however is to protect his body by consuming High Anti-Oxidants food to negate those Nasty Free Radicals.

N95 masks from 3M should be worn. It won't cut down on emission intake but at least it cut down carbon particles.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Avoid being in the standstill traffic with engine on on a regular basis, the fumes are so bad for the health it's like smoking full pack of cigarettes every time. Stay healthy to enjoy the good life bro....

Hard to do that leh....I must "report for duty" at SG/JB Woodlands customs morning 6am and evening 5.30pm...quite hard to siam the bike buildup. Yeah...fumes are bad, especially in the evenings when bikes are going upslope and engines are on...but what I tak boleh tahan is those dudes who can still smoke on top of all that fumes! It's like saying "since also die from fumes, might as well die from cigarette smoke!":eek:

I am thinking of getting the mask with air circulator device.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thanks for the advice bro. I try to go to the gym twice a week, not to carve out a nice body but to gain weight at a slower pace because of the wonderful good food in JB! LOL!:biggrin:

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hard to do that leh....I must "report for duty" at SG/JB Woodlands customs morning 6am and evening 5.30pm...quite hard to siam the bike buildup. Yeah...fumes are bad, especially in the evenings when bikes are going upslope and engines are on...but what I tak boleh tahan is those dudes who can still smoke on top of all that fumes! It's like saying "since also die from fumes, might as well die from cigarette smoke!":eek:

I am thinking of getting the mask with air circulator device.

Lon gterm exposure to exhaust fumes which is carcinogenic in nature is no joke.
Better get yourself a mask.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lon gterm exposure to exhaust fumes which is carcinogenic in nature is no joke.
Better get yourself a mask.

I'd already reminded him a long time ago and its not just any mask, it must invest in those higher quality air pollution mask like 3M N95 Masks - you only have one set of lungs to spare!
Hopefully his family members really appreciate his daily hardship and sacrifices just for them.

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
I came out from jb at 4:30am today, thought i can be no 2 at sg counter. :eek: but the causeway road was oredi filled up half. ..
Noticed 2 cars lanes were opened to kapkias!!!!. Simi 道理。。P@P should increase kapkia toll fee gao gao to solve the problem..:p

Last edited:

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Crossed by bus at 8.30am, reach office in Bueno Vista at 9.45am - thank god for flexi working hours :smile:

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
Crossed by bus at 8.30am, reach office in Bueno Vista at 9.45am - thank god for flexi working hours :smile:

Drove back to Sg this morning. Was planning to start at 10:00, but saw the queue at causeway, so waited. By 10:45, it's all clear, so start my journey. At both ends, JB & Sg, counters wait for me, instead of the other way around:smile: Wish it's like that at all hours.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal

Was this via Tuas 2nd Link or Causeway?

Those who mentioned jam at causeway, have you also tried Tuas 2nd Link or is it too far for you?

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for the advice bro. I try to go to the gym twice a week, not to carve out a nice body but to gain weight at a slower pace because of the wonderful good food in JB! LOL!:biggrin:

Don't mind I kay poh and ask you which gym you go to? :smile:

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Monday, 17 October 2016

(The Star) Causeway border scan gets thumbs up

JOHOR BARU: Each year, dozens of Malaysian and foreign motorcyclists are jailed or fined for entering or leaving the country without stopping to present their passports at the 150 Immigration counters at the Johor Causeway and Second Link.

For years, many have claimed ignorance, blamed the counters for being closed or having no Immigration officials present to verify their passports, as there are no gantries to stop the motorcyclists from zooming past the counters, especially during rush hour.

For the first nine months this year alone, some 104 local and foreign motorcyclists have been detained for such offences at both the checkpoints.

Offenders face fines of between RM1,500 and RM1,800, in default two or three months’ jail.

Some 40,000 Malaysian motorcyclists travel to Singapore daily, mainly for work.
The Immigration Department plans to overcome this problem with a new automated border control system known as MBIKE, to be launched in December.

It is similar to the autogates placed at all entry and exit points in Malaysia.

This system, which uses a radio frequency identification device (RFID) sticker attached to the holder’s passport, requires the holder to place their thumb on the reader before the gantry gate opens.

The advanced system will also be able to detect if there is only one person or a pillion rider as well on a motorcycle.

If there are two people on the motorcycle, both will be required to scan their thumbs.

Johor Immigration director Datuk Rohaizi Bahari said this system will be the first of its kind at any CIQ (Customs, Immigration and Quaran*tine) in Malaysia for motorcycle clearance.

“This system will not just enhance security at both checkpoints but also ease clearance at the Johor Causeway and Second Link,” he said.

Registration, which is free of charge, is now open.

“So far, response at the Johor CIQ has been overwhelming, with 4,500 people having registered for it since Sept 30,” he told The Star.

Requirements for the application include holding a passport that is valid for more than six months, being free from any blacklist and being at least 18 years old.
Singapore has automated its clearance for motorcycles since 2008.

At present, there are 100 motorcycle lanes in and out at the Bangunan Sultan Iskandar CIQ here and 50 lanes at the Kompleks Sultan Abu Bakar at the Second Link.

The system, said Rohaizi, will also help free their personnel to focus on other areas because much manpower is needed to man at least 60% to 75% of the counters to clear the motorcycles daily.
Manual booths at both CIQs will continue for motorcyclists who do not have MBIKE and foreigners, he added.

To apply for MBIKE, just go to the one-stop registration centre at the Johor CIQ or contact its hotline at 07-218 2400, or visit www.mbike.my.

Another one-stop centre at the Second Link will open by this month.

Both centres will operate round the clock.

geekroamer

I am new here and considering moving to JB (EcoBotanic near East Ledang too) if I can make the daily commute work for my kids.
Slightly different scenario with ts, I work from home, hence no need to travel back and forth, but my kids also need to be at school by 7.30am during school days. They study near Jurong, not too far from the Tuas CIQ.
I wonder if there is school bus for this route? What time do they need leave home? What about the normal Causeway Link bus?
I had never really travel during morning peak hour, so not sure about the traffic condition. Bus as jam as car? Or much smoother because of bus lane?
TIA.

Ks2750

Alfrescian
Loyal
The 2nd link if u are taking the cw bus u will get stuck even in afternoon as a lot of tourist busses getting out to jb hence it cause delay to the cw bus as they have to clear all the tourist at the sg checkpoint & custom

Mummymoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am new here and considering moving to JB (EcoBotanic near East Ledang too) if I can make the daily commute work for my kids.
Slightly different scenario with ts, I work from home, hence no need to travel back and forth, but my kids also need to be at school by 7.30am during school days. They study near Jurong, not too far from the Tuas CIQ.
I wonder if there is school bus for this route? What time do they need leave home? What about the normal Causeway Link bus?
I had never really travel during morning peak hour, so not sure about the traffic condition. Bus as jam as car? Or much smoother because of bus lane?
TIA.

I think it might be tough on your kids to take public transport across the border every morning. I wanted to recommend Century Bus (school bus service) but I just realised they only ply JB and Woodlands/Sembawang/Yishun areas. If you have the flexibility to work from home, is driving your kids to school and back an option? Everyone will be trying to get their kids to school by 7.15am or 7.30am and that's when traffic is at its peak. At least if they are in the comfort of your car, they can take a nap or chit chat with you. When I had to get kids to school at that time, I found the commute to be the best time for me to connect with my kids. Just my two-cent worth.