• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious ST: Stupid Sinkies Don't Appreciate That CPF Is Damn Good!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The Central Provident Fund (CPF) system has its share of detractors among Singaporeans but, overseas, it attracts a lot of positive attention.

This puzzling fact could be because Singaporeans do not realise they really have a good deal, says finance professor Benedict Koh, a member of the advisory panel that studied ways to improve the scheme. He tells Insight in a recent panel discussion: "I present papers at international conferences. You won't believe what people say: 'Can I invest in your account?'. 'Can foreigners buy it?'."

Many people here are not aware that a 4 to 5 per cent interest rate guaranteed by a government with a triple-A credit rating - the highest rating - is simply unique, says Prof Koh, who is associate dean of the Singapore Management University Lee Kong Chian School of Business.

CPF savings currently accumulate interest of between 2.5 and 6 per cent, including additional interest on lower balances as well as for older members.

There is a legislated minimum interest of 2.5 per cent per year on Ordinary Account savings, but the rate will follow the three-month average of major local banks' interest rates if that is higher. For the July to September CPF interest rates, the latter was calculated from February to April and was only 0.24 per cent.

The interest rates on the Special, Medisave and Retirement accounts are pegged at 1 percentage point above the 12-month average yield of 10-year Singapore Government Securities, or 4 per cent, whichever is higher.

WHO'S WHO ON THE PANEL
PROFESSOR TAN CHORH CHUAN (Chairman) 57, president of the National University of Singapore (NUS)

PROFESSOR JOSEPH CHERIAN 53, practice professor of finance and director of the Centre for Asset Management Research and Investments at NUS Business School

MS SYLVIA CHOO 49, special duties director of National Trades Union Congress International Affairs

MS MALATHI DAS 47, immediate past president of the Singapore Council of Women's Organisations

MRS HAUW SOO HOON 63, operating partner at venture capital firm iGlobe Partners

PROFESSOR BENEDICT KOH 58, finance professor and associate dean at the Singapore Management University Lee Kong Chian School of Business

MR TERRY LEE 63, president of the Singapore Insurance Employees' Union

MR MUHAMMAD FAIZAL OTHMAN 45, vice-chairman of Taman Jurong Citizens' Consultative Committee

MR NG CHER YAN 57, immediate past chairman of the Braddell Heights Citizens' Consultative Committee

MR COLIN PAKSHONG 56, independent actuarial consultant

MR SAKTIANDI SUPAAT 43, head of forex research for global markets at Maybank, and Member of Parliament for Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC

DR TAN BEE WAN 61, executive chairman of learning consultancy Integrative Learning Corporation and social enterprise ACE (Active, Contributive and Engaged) Seniors

MR CHRISTOPHER TAN 46, chief executive of financial advisory firm Providend

But there is a limit to what people can expect from the system, because it must be a sustainable one, say Prof Koh and panel chairman Tan Chorh Chuan.

For instance, it is not advisable to extend the extra 1 percentage point interest on the first $60,000 of balances to a higher limit because, "eventually, someone would have to pay for that", says Professor Tan.

Prof Koh adds: "You cannot guarantee paying interest on a risk-free asset that is permanently higher than the market rates. For a country like ours with limited financial resources, it's not a prudent thing to do. I teach finance and my message in the first class is always 'There is no free lunch'. You cannot want high returns and not take risks, you will never find such a financial product."

For those who do have a higher risk appetite, but lack the time and expertise to actively manage investments, the panel recommended introducing a new Lifetime Retirement Investment Scheme to give members more options.

VIEWING IT AS A WHOLE

But if the system is so good, why do some people clamour to take as much money out of it as they can?

One reason could be that people tend to view the CPF system in fragments rather than as a whole retirement savings plan, says fellow advisory panel member Christopher Tan, chief executive of financial advisory Providend. Looking at it in parts, people see that they put their money in when they are young, and when they want to take it all out at 55 they are unable to, and at 65 they try again and can withdraw only a portion. In fact, it is similar to what people sign up for with conventional retirement plans offered by insurance companies, he says, where "you don't take the money out early, and when you reach the age of 55 or 60 if you don't take out a lump sum they pay it out as an annuity".

In CPF Life, money that is in the Retirement Account when members choose to start getting monthly payouts is used as the premium for the annuity that provides the payouts.

"So if people see that connection and they see this like a retirement plan, if you look at CPF like another provider and compare all the products between the providers right now, it's the best retirement plan you can find, really," he said.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/singaporeans-dont-realise-what-a-gooddeal-the-cpf-is

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I fully agree that CPF is one of the best schemes on the planet.

It helped me retire early by providing both capital and cash flow for my early property investments.

If it wasn't for my CPF I'd now be collecting cardboard.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hahaha stupid lah sinkies. It so good it a privilege only reserved for sinkies and pr. Not good why so many pr? Sinkies dunno a good thing even if it show up in front of them eh?

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hahaha stupid lah sinkies. It so good it a privilege only reserved for sinkies and pr. Not good why so many pr? Sinkies dunno a good thing even if it show up in front of them eh?

Yalor. Roy Ng and Amos yee too young and don't have cpf money so they talk cock and some stupid sinkies believe their nonsense :biggrin:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Foreigners have no clue how the CPF works ...if they know the details, they would criticize it as government fleecing contributors.

Government uses our money to generate 7 percent return and pays us 2.5 percent; the 4 to 5 percent is only for a small portion of the money. That academic bs ...what kind of academic is that ...telling half-truth?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Foreigners have no clue how the CPF works ...if they know the details, they would criticize it as government fleecing contributors.

Government uses our money to generate 7 percent return and pays us 2.5 percent; the 4 to 5 percent is only for a small portion of the money. That academic bs ...what kind of academic is that ...telling half-truth?

majority of dumbfuck sinkies need the scheme. they are what it is designed and enacted for. without it, money saved individually will be long gone.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

CPF is for the financially illiterate masses. If the money wasn't deducted by compulsion it would be spent even before it was earned.

Take my case as an example if I wasn't forced to contribute to CPF I would have used the money to buy a Beemer and fancy club membership instead of investing it.

However thanks to the PAP they forced me to save money but at the same time allowed me to use my CPF funds to buy property. The rest is history.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
finance professor Benedict Koh, a member of the advisory panel that studied ways to improve the scheme. He tells Insight in a recent panel discussion: "I present papers at international conferences. You won't believe what people say: 'Can I invest in your account?'. 'Can foreigners buy it?

Holy shit!! How can a senior prof at SMU be so fucking stupid? That uni has really gone down the drain. Foreigners that want to buy into the CPF because they think 2.5% or even 6% is so good don't understand anything about CPF. Because in their own country, they cannot get these rates. If they can get these rates and spend the money in their own country, then they will do very well. But when you earn these CPF rates and have to spend it in singapore, one of the most expensive cities in the world, then 2.5% interest rate is actually a negative return went the inflation rate is closer to 5%. How come benefuckingdick did not mention this little fact to them. In the local context, these rates are miserable.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The CPF has become the PAPs hidden tax & given Ho Ching the $ to gamble on Spore's future.

What do people think will happen when people find out that the majority of the $ is locked up in Long term investments :confused:

bodycells

Alfrescian
Loyal
Due to this article, my dumbfuck sinkies brainwashed friend start to send me this article and expect me to discuss this with him. However, he dare not ask me a single question. LOL.

I am not going to reply to him unless he started talking.

bodycells

Alfrescian
Loyal
CPF is for the financially illiterate masses. If the money wasn't deducted by compulsion it would be spent even before it was earned.

Take my case as an example if I wasn't forced to contribute to CPF I would have used the money to buy a Beemer and fancy club membership instead of investing it.

However thanks to the PAP they forced me to save money but at the same time allowed me to use my CPF funds to buy property. The rest is history.

The you sell your property and the rest is history??

If you did that, it means that is the period when the property can earn a few hundred k at a time sinkieland isn't the most expensive city yet. Not now.

bodycells

Alfrescian
Loyal

Exactly.

CPF money is not really yours unless you have emigrated.

The prof didn't interview Roy about CPF before showing the papers off?? He really gives a bad name to all prof in the world. How did he get the professorship?

Ectar

Alfrescian
Loyal

It helped me retire early by providing both capital and cash flow for my early property investments.

What is so wrong in collecting cardboard, it's just another form of exercise, chill man.

PretenderSam

Alfrescian
Loyal

this shows without doubt that PAP is the best government in the world.
if there is a contest , PAP would win the olmypic gold for the best political party in the world , perhaps the universe.
if it wasn't for my CPF I'd sleeping in the void deck by now.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All I want is...give me my money when I retire & if I want to get it invested & earn safe income for rest of life...let me decide. DON'T TAKE MY MONEY & COME UP WITH THOUSAND OF SUGGESTIONS TO MAKE IT BETTER...WHICH DOESN'T & CAN WE TRUST PEOPLE IN THE NEXT 50 YEARS WITH OUR HARD EARN MONEY???

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
All I want is...give me my money when I retire & if I want to get it invested & earn safe income for rest of life...let me decide. DON'T TAKE MY MONEY & COME UP WITH THOUSAND OF SUGGESTIONS TO MAKE IT BETTER...WHICH DOESN'T & CAN WE TRUST PEOPLE IN THE NEXT 50 YEARS WITH OUR HARD EARN MONEY???

The problem is that you are not competent enough to decide what to do with your own money so someone else has to take care of this for you.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this shows without doubt that PAP is the best government in the world.
if there is a contest , PAP would win the olmypic gold for the best political party in the world , perhaps the universe.
if it wasn't for my CPF I'd sleeping in the void deck by now.

It will be the PAP who is holding your CPF...that you will be sleeping in the void deck, which the Bangla worker, live a dormitory that had all sorts of facilities & FREE WIFI....you sleep in the void deck you have no money , you don't even have free wifi....see how much these people are being looked after....you gave your CPF...you would not see much of it till maybe 70 & take a bit out till 99... By the time you reaches 70....they PAP may tell you..." we are so sorry, the money invested , we lost a great deal" " can you survive on the void deck with $300 a month"???

Sleeping at the void deck...is a privilege for Singaporean....

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Some idiot from the PAP will probably tell you that putting money in the CPF is a privilege:rolleyes:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The problem is that you are not competent enough to decide what to do with your own money so someone else has to take care of this for you.

It is my money, I earn that money through my blood , sweat & tears...which stupid people in the world except the 70% voters have trusted their money to another ??

I DONT & IT IS MY WISH IF I SPEND EVERY SINGLE CENT OF WHAT IS GVEN TO ME ON WINE WOMAN & SONG...I EARNED IT....only STUPID PEOPLE LEAVE THEIR MONEY TO OTHERS TO DO WHAT THEY WISHES WITH IT & ENJOY THE FRUITS OF IT...EVEN I BECOME, BROKE, DESTITUTE & DESOLATE..you can throw me in the dumpster....THAT IS MY WISH.

No one on this earth can tell me, whether I am competent enough....with my money...:mad: