• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat PJ Thum on Prataman

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.facebook.com/pjthum/posts/10103059577528901?pnref=story

President Nathan hosted me (and my ridiculous tan line) in the Istana after I swam the English Channel in 2005. He seemed to be a very nice man. On hearing that I was about to embark on a doctorate in history, he sent me a copy of Drysdale's history of Singapore. It was immensely helpful in my work, but probably not in the way President Nathan intended. Little did he know that I would go on to prove that the book was inaccurate and very incomplete about key aspects of Singapore's history. I disagreed with President Nathan's politics but I respected him as a man of courage and conviction. RIP.

PJ Thum---the expert on Operation Coldstore. Often seen on TOC.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dr Thum is doing God's work unearthing our nation's checkered history. I wish more young singaporeans can bother to learn more about the winners and losers of our nation building days.

He deserves a cultural medallion

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The word is confident. Must come from a well connected family. That kind of air and bearing comes from good genes.

signature AC boy - articulates well, overachiever in sports and studies, has an anti establishment streak.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
stupid homo .. you are as dumb as you are gay

kill yourself now

At least im not that dumb to associate myself with the bunch of tools from ACS.

Lmao articulates well,overachievers my ass,more like rich,pretentious snobs that cant get into a real school pretending to be elites more like wannabes with daddies money.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ooohhh .. why the hate?

was your first boyfriend from ACS?

yes how u know?i met a guy who with clown makeup who kinda resembled ronald mcdonald and spoke with justin bieber's voice at changni village and he said hes from ACS and asked if i wanted a blowjob.

Im lovin it.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thum is a welcome and a much needed voice in the history and politics of Singapore. He however has to be careful both as a historian and an academic researcher or else he will be called out by his peers and even amateur historians. His links to the likes of Hong Lysa, a much discredited historian and now more an emotional baggage is a worry and his interpretation about certain parts of history is a concern. He should be mindful of the usual well worn path taken by many - "I went to Kew Gardens and looked at recently released but previously classified documents and found that ....." and then do selective reading to meet their agenda.

He should take a leave from the likes of CC Chin and Chua Beng Huat. Both known critics of the PAP Govt but as researchers and academics are well respected by their peers. We already have one Dr Loh Kah Seng who I was hoping will carry on from the ageing CC Chin.

We know that both the Singapore and MCP have refused to open up their archives. CC Chin and the Plen made a number of attempts to seek access to MCP archives but they were denied by Chin Peng and this was well after the signing of the Peace accord and the resettlement in the Peace Villages. The same with the Singapore Govt except that access has been given to a few whose credentials are also questionable.

His podcast on David Marshall for instance completely ignores the fact that Marshall's time in office was undermined by the Left in the main - the Hock Lee bus riots, Chinese students agitation etc. Marshall hated the British and the Communists in equal measures and he had to go. Of course pushing the left to meet his own agenda was Old Man. Anyone reasonably familiar with history would know this. There are also his interpretation of the Beauty World speech and Eden Hall Tea Party.

An example of using what was once a convenient interpretation is the medical condition of Lim Chin Siong. The Left's long held position differed from the Govt. Finally Dr Poh Soo Kai revealed in his recently revealed book what the situation was.

One can see that Thum is bright as in his views in regard to the interview on CNN on the recently passed Bill on the Administration of Justice and on other matters. Hopefully with time, he finds his place and position.

Incidentally his accent is similar to the days when the Pernakans held the lucrative position of ship chandlers for the British empire so I guess it must be from a long established and well connected Straits Family as some of you have pointed out. Rare to hear this now and another welcome element of Thum.

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thum is a welcome and a much needed voice in the history and politics of Singapore. He however has to be careful both as a historian and an academic researcher or else he will be called out by his peers and even amateur historians. His links to the likes of Hong Lysa, a much discredited historian and now more an emotional baggage is a worry and his interpretation about certain parts of history is a concern. He should be mindful of the usual well worn path taken by many - "I went to Kew Gardens and looked at recently released but previously classified documents and found that ....." and then do selective reading to meet their agenda.

He should take a leave from the likes of CC Chin and Chua Beng Huat. Both known critics of the PAP Govt but as researchers and academics are well respected by their peers. We already have one Dr Loh Kah Seng who I was hoping will carry on from the ageing CC Chin.

We know that both the Singapore and MCP have refused to open up their archives. CC Chin and the Plen made a number of attempts to seek access to MCP archives but they were denied by Chin Peng and this was well after the signing of the Peace accord and the resettlement in the Peace Villages. The same with the Singapore Govt except that access has been given to a few whose credentials are also questionable.

His podcast on David Marshall for instance completely ignores the fact that Marshall's time in office was undermined by the Left in the main - the Hock Lee bus riots, Chinese students agitation etc. Marshall hated the British and the Communists in equal measures and he had to go. Of course pushing the left to meet his own agenda was Old Man. Anyone reasonably familiar with history would know this. There are also his interpretation of the Beauty World speech and Eden Hall Tea Party.

An example of using what was once a convenient interpretation is the medical condition of Lim Chin Siong. The Left's long held position differed from the Govt. Finally Dr Poh Soo Kai revealed in his recently revealed book what the situation was.

One can see that Thum is bright as in his views in regard to the interview on CNN on the recently passed Bill on the Administration of Justice and on other matters. Hopefully with time, he finds his place and position.

Incidentally his accent is similar to the days when the Pernakans held the lucrative position of ship chandlers for the British empire so I guess it must be from a long established and well connected Straits Family as some of you have pointed out. Rare to hear this now and another welcome element of Thum.

Bilahari has no love for Thum at all (despite his own growing role as the Emperor's tailor) - he has repeatedly called Thum out as an "attention seeking historian" (of course his own remarks on FB as a retired statesman now should not be construed as such) - Bilahari's remarks most recently on 27 July:

"The attention seeking academic is at it again: he objects to the 1964 riots being characterised as 'race riots' because they were the consequence of political manipulation and manoeuvres. Yes of course they were -- the intention was to put Singapore in its place by intimidation -- but so what? Does he think that the manipulation and manoeuvres would have succeeded in igniting violence if the racial situation had not been already fraught? And if we do not call them 'race riots' what do we call them? 'Political riots'? How does that change the fact that the riots were between Malays and Chinese and not, say, between Hokkiens and Teochews or between Martians and humans. Of course, context is important but one should not use that as an excuse to torture facts to make them submit to strained interpretations that are either intended to seek attention or advance a political agenda. Braying white just because the established interpretation is black is not critical thinking. History is too important to be so abused."

Please correct me but I am ignorant of any other historian on local history has outwardly challenged Thum's analysis and interpretation of Singapore's history - Bilahari has great disdain for academics and great adoration for his own views no doubt - but as you pointed out, if access to archival material is not available then how complete is the understanding of historical matters. Even when personally involved the extent of the dynamics can be lost.

I sense Thum being an Oxonian also irritates the likes of Bilahari. He also made remarks against Thum at the now infamous Cambridge lecture on 31 Oct 2015:

"Mr Bilahari's topic was "Lee Kuan Yew's cast of mind and its lasting influence". As I leaned forward to listen, I had not bargained to be in for some unpleasant surprises.

To my amazement, Mr Bilahari departed from his prepared transcript at least twice to take two digs at Dr Thum - to make it clear to the audience that he was not in agreement with Dr Thum’s point of view.

On Dr Thum’s view that the PAP government was intolerant of dissent, Mr Bilahari argued that since Dr Thum was able to express his dissenting views about Mr Lee’s political role, then Dr Thum can’t be right to complain that the PAP government was intolerant of dissent.

I was taken aback. I failed to see the logic of Mr Bilahari's reasoning. Dr Thum had expressed his dissenting views to an international audience at an overseas conference, not in Singapore. Has Dr Thum been free to express his dissenting views in Singapore without adverse repercussions?

Mr Bilahari's second swipe at Dr Thum was more caustic. He called Dr Thum "a young academic trying to make a name for himself" - implying that Dr Thum was propagating an alternative version of Singapore’s history so as to draw attention to himself.

Some in the audience booed Dr Bilahari on hearing his ungracious words against Dr Thum.

I was shocked - and ashamed - that a high ranking diplomat would deem fit to speak against a fellow Singaporean speaker at an overseas conference in front of an international audience.

By trying to attack Dr Thum's credibility, Mr Bilahari only succeeded in proving Dr Thum right about the PAP Government's intolerance for dissenting views.

But there was one more unhappy surprise in store for me."

http://jeannettechongaruldoss.blogspot.sg/2015/12/bilahari-kausikan-loose-and-at-large.html

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bilahari is a serious embarrassment to this country and to himself. Look what the Americans labeled him. Look at his eulogy on Nathan - if anyone fail to notice , he was central to the story, he brought his father and his 2 best friends into it as well, Nathan was side issue at best. The guy has an ego the size of a football stadium.

Thum was right about the riots being the work of manipulative forces on both sides including Old Man constant provocation of the Malay standing and rights in their own country in his speeches in the Malaysia Parliament. Old Man was also the one who encouraged his party members to carry out provocative incidents that led to the Hock Lee riots. Thum's mistake however was claiming that it was not a race riot which Bilahri latched on to perhaps with the intention to deflect that point that Old Man was just as culpable for the riots.

What Thum needs is a mentor like Chua Beng Huat. It was Chua that was instrumental is getting the book "Paths Not taken" written and published by bringing the key players together.

After the assaults on academics Bilveer Singh , Hussin Mutalib, the democracy wall etc, there is serious shortage of academic that are prepared to speak. So Thum is indeed a blessing with edges to smooth out.

Bilahari has no love for Thum at all (despite his own growing role as the Emperor's tailor) - he has repeatedly called Thum out as an "attention seeking historian" (of course his own remarks on FB as a retired statesman now should not be construed as such) - Bilahari's remarks most recently on 27 July:

"The attention seeking academic is at it again: he objects to the 1964 riots being characterised as 'race riots' because they were the consequence of political manipulation and manoeuvres. Yes of course they were -- the intention was to put Singapore in its place by intimidation -- but so what? Does he think that the manipulation and manoeuvres would have succeeded in igniting violence if the racial situation had not been already fraught? And if we do not call them 'race riots' what do we call them? 'Political riots'? How does that change the fact that the riots were between Malays and Chinese and not, say, between Hokkiens and Teochews or between Martians and humans. Of course, context is important but one should not use that as an excuse to torture facts to make them submit to strained interpretations that are either intended to seek attention or advance a political agenda. Braying white just because the established interpretation is black is not critical thinking. History is too important to be so abused."

Please correct me but I am ignorant of any other historian on local history has outwardly challenged Thum's analysis and interpretation of Singapore's history - Bilahari has great disdain for academics and great adoration for his own views no doubt - but as you pointed out, if access to archival material is not available then how complete is the understanding of historical matters. Even when personally involved the extent of the dynamics can be lost.

I sense Thum being an Oxonian also irritates the likes of Bilahari. He also made remarks against Thum at the now infamous Cambridge lecture on 31 Oct 2015:

"Mr Bilahari's topic was "Lee Kuan Yew's cast of mind and its lasting influence". As I leaned forward to listen, I had not bargained to be in for some unpleasant surprises.

To my amazement, Mr Bilahari departed from his prepared transcript at least twice to take two digs at Dr Thum - to make it clear to the audience that he was not in agreement with Dr Thum’s point of view.

On Dr Thum’s view that the PAP government was intolerant of dissent, Mr Bilahari argued that since Dr Thum was able to express his dissenting views about Mr Lee’s political role, then Dr Thum can’t be right to complain that the PAP government was intolerant of dissent.

I was taken aback. I failed to see the logic of Mr Bilahari's reasoning. Dr Thum had expressed his dissenting views to an international audience at an overseas conference, not in Singapore. Has Dr Thum been free to express his dissenting views in Singapore without adverse repercussions?

Mr Bilahari's second swipe at Dr Thum was more caustic. He called Dr Thum "a young academic trying to make a name for himself" - implying that Dr Thum was propagating an alternative version of Singapore’s history so as to draw attention to himself.

Some in the audience booed Dr Bilahari on hearing his ungracious words against Dr Thum.

I was shocked - and ashamed - that a high ranking diplomat would deem fit to speak against a fellow Singaporean speaker at an overseas conference in front of an international audience.

By trying to attack Dr Thum's credibility, Mr Bilahari only succeeded in proving Dr Thum right about the PAP Government's intolerance for dissenting views.

But there was one more unhappy surprise in store for me."

http://jeannettechongaruldoss.blogspot.sg/2015/12/bilahari-kausikan-loose-and-at-large.html