• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Self-driving Taxis - mark of a Prime Minister

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
1) Within a few days of the National Day Rally where he told taxi drivers that they will offering help for them to face the future, this trail has been announced.

2) Gazumping headlines - to beat Pittsburg, they got 6 vehicles, a select group of "passengers" in a small zone and now claim to be the World's first. The fact that there will be an driver and a researcher in each vehicles does not seem to alter the fact that making headlines will be the main aim. In most countries it will be a called trial.

Here is what Uber is going to do in Pittsburg next week.
- they call it a test and trial
- 100 cars, full sedan
- partnered with Carnegie Mellon's famed Robotics Institute which has 3 decades of automation experience
- the whole city of Pittsburg will be involved with their famed 400 bridges and not a small tiny area
- there will be 2 safety drivers

Uber, the Rand Corporation and Google which has the most mileage of testing have clearly stated that the amount of test mileage has to be much more than currently done to go into full production.

Singapore with 6 cars, no help with any noted University or Research Institute in this field is hoping for 2018 where they will launch 300 self driving taxis. ???

http://theindependent.sg/worlds-first-self-driving-taxis-debut-in-singapore/World’s first self-driving taxis debut in Singapore
By The Independent - August 26, 2016 670
Share on Facebook Tweet on Twitter

By: Kheng-Liang Tan

Singapore has beaten Pittsburgh to become the first city in the World to feature a self-driving taxi service, after ride hailing app Uber announced plans to launch an autonomous service in a fleet of heavily modified Volvo XC90s in the American city several weeks ago.

Autonomous vehicle software startup nuTonomy has began to offer selected members of the public free rides in an Uber style pickup service in a controlled 2.5 square mile area around One-North. Currently, the company has a fleet of six Renault Zoe and Mitsubishi i electric vehicles.

These heavily modified cars are fitted with six sets of what the company calls “Lidar”, which is a laser detection system that operate like radar. In addition, there are also two dashboard cameras to scan for obstacles and detect traffic lights changes.

So far, dozens have signed up for the launch, and it plans to expand that list to thousands of people within a few months.

The company plans to have a fully self-driving taxi fleet in Singapore by 2018, which is expected to cut the number of cars on the road to 300,000 from the current 900,000.
It added that such a model could be adopted in cities around the world.

Other prominent car makers such as Ford plans to mass produce self-driving taxis by 2021 Volkswagen expects first its first self-driving cars on the market by 2019.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Too lazy to read on.....
Can someone spoonfeed me?
What the fuck is self driving taxi? Driverless or you Ownself drive Ownself then dump the taxi somewhere?
Sorry but I think mine is a legitimate question

cuckoldoolittle

Alfrescian
Loyal
When you are so used to getting everything first in your life
because you are the son of LKY, naturally by conditioning rather
than innate, your perceived deceptive expectations is that you can
and always achieve a first in everything you do and to maintain that
selfish gratification you would even compromise the livelihood of
others just for your self-glorification.

A leader who failed to realize that the implementation of self-driving cab
would put not just one but thousands of cab drivers out of job should be
replaced immediately.

retrenched

Alfrescian
Loyal
i like to let other countries iron out all problems before trying something out...remember the airbus 380?

this kind of mad rush to be first to do anything reminds me of primary schoolkids having all sorts of contests...

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anybody who actually believes in LHL deserves to be screwed for extreme stupidity.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The idea is no driver at all. Fully automated taxi will come and pick up and send you to your destination. For the trails all around the world, there will be safety drivers who intervene if the system fails. The success threshold has not be agreed upon but it will be couple of millions miles with a safety driver and no fatalities or serious accidents before a prototype will allowed to do it without a safety driver. It will likely be after 2020 the earliest.

Too lazy to read on.....
Can someone spoonfeed me?
What the fuck is self driving taxi? Driverless or you Ownself drive Ownself then dump the taxi somewhere?
Sorry but I think mine is a legitimate question

sabasaba

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last time when one got laid off, one could become a taxi driver to earn a living. Now what other options do you have?

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
driving taxi is the number one ricebowl of sinkies,looks like the musical chairs music for sinkies is about to stop.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok wat. If this fails, the driver and researchers are well trained for their second career.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
I did not read any of the topic articles, because I will never get into a driverless car.

I don't know how to talk to someone that's not there if any last mute instructions or change of location, or emergency.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I did not read any of the topic articles, because I will never get into a driverless car.

I don't know how to talk to someone that's not there if any last mute instructions or change of location, or emergency.

Dont worry times will change,one day every car will be driverless and those who cant adapt will go the way of the dinosaur.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The idea is no driver at all. Fully automated taxi will come and pick up and send you to your destination. For the trails all around the world, there will be safety drivers who intervene if the system fails. The success threshold has not be agreed upon but it will be couple of millions miles with a safety driver and no fatalities or serious accidents before a prototype will allowed to do it without a safety driver. It will likely be after 2020 the earliest.

So it's driverless and yet that's a guy on standby? That's defeating the purpose!

Btw driverless cars all sound romantic but it'll be a long time for it to happen here.
Take PSA for example.....they're been experimenting with driverless container trailers in the ports for 2 decades and still nothing came out of it till now.
Typical pap wayang to gain face and milk money

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

My thought is while driverless taxi is the talk of the town, I can't imagine, if there are thousands of them in the road, and if due to software glitches or system failure, it will be one big mess across the island. Remember Microsoft os, updates and restart....just imagine you need to restart the software in the middle of the expressway.......

Uber app with individual driver is the ongoing thingy.....but driverless, maybe in the show Total Recall......

sabasaba

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder what happens when inside the airplane cockpit got blue screen.

Humans are always imperfect and sure to introduce bugs into the system.

Who wants to be the guinea pig? Eeek!