• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Sam Leong diagnosed with stage four nose cancer

zeroo

Alfrescian
Loyal
st_20160815_eqsam_2519770.jpg

Singapore celebrity chef Sam Leong of the one-Michelin-starred Forest restaurant at Resorts World Sentosa has opened up for the first time to say that he was diagnosed with stage four nose cancer in February.

In an interview with The Straits Times, the chef-consultant, 50, says he completed chemotherapy treatment last month and is on the road to recovery.

The "lemon-sized lump" behind his nose, as Leong describes it, has drastically reduced in size. He will have another review in October and hopes to be back at work by then.

"But I won't be able to 'chiong' like last time. My body is weak and I'm always tired," he says, using the Hokkien word for "rush" and to work hard.

Leong says he had no clue or symptoms of his condition. His only concerns were a persistent cough and fever, and a blocked ear.
"I was travelling every week and the air pressure in my ear would take a day to clear. I mentioned this to the doctor, who advised me to see an ear, nose and throat doctor."

It was an anxious week-long wait for the doctor to confirm the diagnosis, he says, and plans were made swiftly for him to start chemotherapy sessions after the diagnosis.

While he has not had severe side effects from the chemotherapy and radiation sessions, his tastebuds and appetite were affected.

He says: "When the chemotherapy started, everything I ate, like watermelon and mango, tasted bitter. Then, for the past two months, everything is salty. The water I drink tastes like seawater."

But he could taste the yong tau foo he ate for lunch last Friday, he adds cheerfully. "So I'm definitely getting better. I don't feel pain or side effects like fainting or bloating."

Leong had stopped working after the diagnosis, although he remained part of the team of chefs who prepared the gala dinner for the Michelin Guide Singapore's launch last month.

He says: "I had committed to doing the dinner, but with my situation, the team took over the recipe and cooked for the guests that night.

"I couldn't even promise to be at the ceremony. What if I had collapsed on stage?"

Leong, whose restaurant is known for serving contemporary Chinese cuisine with Thai influences, was at the Michelin ceremony to the end.

For a Chinese restaurant to be recognised by the Michelin Guide is an achievement, he emphasises, and he had waited for the moment for more than two decades since starting his culinary career.

"I am so proud to be included in the Michelin Guide alongside my chef-idols from Europe such as Joel Robuchon. It is a big thing that Chinese cuisine is recognised alongside more well-known ones."

Initially, his 76-year-old mother took the news the hardest as his father had died of liver cancer.

Leong says: "She was okay when I told her about it. But soon, we realised she was losing weight. Then, when she noticed that I could cope with the chemotherapy, she became more positive."

His 46-year-old chef-wife Forest - who runs cooking classes - also remains upbeat about his recovery. She runs the restaurant with their team while he is resting at home and they have discussed how to improve and retain the Michelin star.

She says: "It's normal for us to be shocked, but we have been positive and supportive of him. I wanted him not to travel so much so that he goes for treatment regularly."

Their sons, aged 25 and 23, accompany Leong for meals or chemotherapy sessions, she adds.

Leong also hopes his experience can help to motivate others.

He says: "I've met people who have gone through cancer and hope to encourage others to be positive and strong.

"Cancer is not the end."

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Can recover, but it will appear somewhere else. And its a never ending chemo and radio.
Stage 4 means it has already spread far and wide so it goes without saying that it will appear all over the place.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I'm a realist. Miracles do happen but they are few and far between.

It is far more prudent to plan for the inevitable than to live with false hope.

You should come worship at Pastor Rony Tan's church. He's a famous faith healer. Many sick people have given testimony of miraculous healing after Pastor Rony prayed over them.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
nose cancer is one of the worst places to get cancer,it can easily spread to the brain and throat and lungs.my uncle was a cancer survivor but it was nose cancer that finally took him.....he was only in his 30s.

Devil Within

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is a cure for cancer.

It's called radioactive isotopes medicines. It destroy only cancer cells directly and not the healthy cells surrounding it. However, it is expensive and not enough isotope to go round. The clinical trial so far shows that it kills all the cancerous cell to the extent that it can no longer be detected in the late stage cancer patients.

AREVA Med - Innovation that's helping medical research
[video=youtube;C5XFGYTFz48]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5XFGYTFz48[/video]

Treating Cancer with Targeted Alpha Therapy - by Dr. Julian Rosenman
[video=youtube;3eQLJielY58]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eQLJielY58[/video]

Isotope Cancer Treatment Research at LANL
[video=youtube;E0r0-FJqmpc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0r0-FJqmpc[/video]

Devil Within

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The treatment shrinks tumors. It does not eliminate the disease. The cancer just goes into remission. Remission is not a cure.

Wrong, it kills them that is why they shrink. But the isotopes is so rare that the late stage trials patients can only have 1 or 2 treatment and not enough to kills them all at the moment. So some of the patients died because they were already late stage but many survived. Just watch the videos in the link. They are there to educate you on what this treatment is and not your half-ass nonsense.

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Wrong, it kills them that is why they shrink. But the isotopes is so rare that the late stage trials patients can only have 1 or 2 treatment and not enough to kills them all at the moment. So some of the patients died because they were already late stage but many survived. Just watch the videos in the link. They are there to educate you on what is this treatment and not your half-ass nonsense.

I am fully aware of cutting edge cancer research because I have a personal interest in the disease.

However, because I am not half assed, I have far more faith in articles such as this one.

http://www.livescience.com/5566-40-years-moon-landing-cure-cancer.html

Cancer is not a single disease. There are hundreds of reasons why cells go haywire and probably hundreds more that have yet to be discovered. When cell division goes wrong and the cancer starts to spread, killing all the existing cancer cells does not prevent further errors in cell division from occurring. That is why all treatments just delay the inevitable.

However since we all die for some reason, postponing death by cancer to the point where something else kills us instead would be considered a victory.

Devil Within

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am fully aware of cutting edge cancer research because I have a personal interest in the disease.

However, because I am not half assed, I have far more faith in articles such as this one.

http://www.livescience.com/5566-40-years-moon-landing-cure-cancer.html

Cancer is not a single disease. There are hundreds of reasons why cells go haywire and probably hundreds more that have yet to be discovered. When cell division goes wrong and the cancer starts to spread, killing all the existing cancer cells does not prevent further errors in cell division from occurring. That is why all treatments just delay the inevitable.

However since we all die for some reason, postponing death by cancer to the point where something else kills us instead would be considered a victory.

You are just playing with semantics. If you want to put it that way, then yes, everyone have and will have cancer because it is a nature biological process that goes haywire and cannot be cured unless you can change the genetic codes directly.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
You are just playing with semantics. If you want to put it that way, then yes, everyone have and will have cancer because it is a nature biological process that goes haywire and cannot be cured unless you can change the genetic codes directly.

Nothing to do with semantics. Cancer can be eliminated when it is caught early and much of the success we have had in combating the disease is down to technology that has enabled us to detect cancer in the early stages.

Once it is in stage 4 the outcome is grim. However for someone in their 60s adding 10 years to their lives with cancer therapy will bring them to the point where they can be considered to have lived a full life.