• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat 2nd PAP MP cashes in Schooling Euphoria

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Look how thick skinned MP Chris de Souza is. Launches "Olympic Values Fund" which has nothing to do with Schooling, sports etc but for his constituency for doing community relations work. Look at the last 3 paragraphs.

http://www.straitstimes.com/sport/companies-race-to-honour-schoolingAbout 17,000 ComfortDelGro taxis will display "Our Pride J Schooling" on their rooftop signs until Sunday. The company also offered $10 off rides to those who wished to welcome the athlete at the airport this morning.PHOTO: COMFORTDELGRO
PUBLISHED4 HOURS AGO

They join celebration with congratulatory ads, food discounts and cheaper rides to welcome him at airport
Nicole Chia
Some local companies are proving that they can move as speedily as swimmer Joseph Schooling.

Hours after his Olympic gold-winning feat, several took out congratulatory advertisements while others announced a variety of offers to honour his achievement.

Suntory Beverage & Food Asia, which owns Brand's Essence of Chicken, ran a full-page advertisement in The Sunday Times to congratulate the young swimmer.

Suntory's vice-president of corporate affairs Daniel Quek said the decision to run the advertisement was spontaneous, adding: "Everybody is in celebration and we thought, why not get in on it as well?

"Schooling showed that hard work and effort lead to the right reward, and that reflected well with the image of our product."

Fast-food giant McDonald's, an official Olympic sponsor, announced on its Facebook page that it will give out free chicken nuggets to the first 50 customers at all its branches today, starting from 11am.

Celebrating gold with discounts
McDonald's

• Full-page advertisement in The Sunday Times.

• Free chicken nuggets for the first 50 customers at all its outlets today, starting from 11am.

ComfortDelGro

• $10 discount for the first 1,000 passengers who use its app and promo code "5039" to book a ride to Changi Airport this morning to welcome Joseph Schooling home.

•About 17,000 of its taxis will display "Our Pride J Schooling" on the taxi rooftop sign until Sunday.

Canopy Garden Dining

• 50.39 per cent off brunch and dinner till Aug 19•.

BazGym Gymnastics School

• 51% school fee discount for new sign-ups till Sunday.

Gruppo Gamma Time Instruments

• US$100 discount off Gruppo Gamma timepieces at online store till end of this month.

De Burg Simpang and CT Hub

• $1 off all Celebrity and Signature series burgers till Sunday.

Canopy Garden Dining, located at Bishan Park, offered a 50.39 per cent discount for brunch and dinner yesterday. It made the announcement on its Facebook page.

The move drew praise from some, such as Jude Tok, who commented on Facebook: "The first place I know that offers discount to celebrate the Olympic Gold. Nice gesture and very generous!" Demand was so overwhelming that the eatery extended its offer till Friday.

The food and beverage industry was not the only one celebrating Singapore's first Olympic title.

Gruppo Gamma Time Instruments, a watch retailer, is offering a US$100 (S$135) discount off its timepieces till the end of the month.

On the roads, about 17,000 ComfortDelGro taxis will be displaying "Our Pride J Schooling" on the taxi rooftop signs until Sunday to "celebrate this historical moment".

The public transport operator also offered a $10 discount for passengers who wished to welcome the 21-year-old at Changi Airport this morning. The discount was given to the first 1,000 passengers who made booking trips via the ComfortDelGro App from anywhere to the airport from 3am to 5am today.

DBS Bank, which also put up a double-page ad in today's edition of The Straits Times, sent a 20-strong contingent to welcome Schooling at the airport this morning.

Said a spokesman in a statement: "As the former Development Bank of Singapore and the People's Bank, DBS and POSB have always been driven by a strong sense of purpose.

"He is a huge inspiration and we join all Singaporeans in celebrating this Singapore son, and to say how proud we are of him."

Schooling's performance also sparked the impromptu creation of the Olympic Values Fund at a National Day dinner.

Mr Christopher de Souza, an MP for Holland-Bukit Timah GRC, announced the fund's set-up at the dinner after tycoon Sam Goi, chairman of the Ulu Pandan Citizens' Consultative Committee (CCC), pledged $500,000 on behalf of the Ulu Pandan Community Club Management Committee.

The fund, which aims to reflect the character and fortitude shown by Schooling, is designed to encourage Ulu Pandan residents to initiate noble causes to improve community relations.

The money will be administered by the Ulu Pandan Community Club, and anyone under the age of 30 can apply to use it to start any initiative or programme that aids the community, as long as they reflect an Olympic value such as friendship, respect and excellence.

chongpangchixwings

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Some use this new found success to promote their own agenda but many others are really happy and make generous offers. In 1896 when the Greek guy won the first Marathon competition in Athens he was given lots of rewards including free haircuts for life from a barber.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Years ago, I remember the government will award $millions if a Singaporean if they won olympic gold. Is that still in play now ? Or have they changed it ? I supposed at the end of the day, he still hit the jackpot no matter how you look at it .

MadrigalWheel

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiyah, everybody just be happy lah. J Schooling has already broken the glass ceiling for non-meritocratic excellence.

Surely the PAP will now sit down for a rethink about local born sportsmen and I would say the goodies would get better.

The Schoolings deserves all the accolades, gifts, rewards etc. etc. etc. that Corporate Singapore and Singapore Inc. for now has to offer, and deservedly so. For he and his family, walked alone such a long and windy path for so many years just to prove that non-PAP endorsed Singaporeans are worth investing in too.

It's more than our first gold medal, it's more than the moment of National Euphoria, it's more than the shameless credit grab of the PAP scum, no different from the skeptics and conspiracy theorists here with arguments from the other end of the spectrum.

It's OUR Boy, from OUR little red-dot, Singapore.

MadrigalWheel

Alfrescian
Loyal
But I'd tell Lee Bee Wah to get fucked still.

The one who cheered on when her China dogs swept our flag on the floor of the 2008 Beijing Olympics, almost like a subliminal message that Singapore was beholden to China.

And the sniveling little bitch that cried over her traitorous China pet dogs to stay in SG even as they tossed their bouquets in the direction of their fellow communist trash and returned to China to get married, never to be seen in SG again.

That fucking Malaysia born Chinese Helicopter might now be tempted to outsource Singapore Sports to mercenaries that will then be insulated and kept away from assimilating to Singapore Culture and life.

Much like how Napoleon bred those puppies to become his attack dogs at the opportune time.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Schoolings has shown that the bunch of scholars are damn useless useless in their plan to get sinkapore to win gold medal in Olympics. After spending more than $100 million in various schemes, including making rejected foreign sportperson into instant sinkees to represent sinkapore, they did not achieve anything significant.

Meanwhile, a family invested a few hundred thousands in their son over 10 years did the job.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its the same one. Sponsored by Tote Board and Singapore Pools. There is not monetary award from the Govt but they got these 2 to do it.

The take-home cut is in the region os $667k as he has to pay taxes on it as well as he is required to handover 20% to Singapore Swimming Association.

Years ago, I remember the government will award $millions if a Singaporean if they won olympic gold. Is that still in play now ? Or have they changed it ? I supposed at the end of the day, he still hit the jackpot no matter how you look at it .

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thats the point that Singaporeans have to realise. If they got it so wrong with FT in sports despite 20years of doing how wrong can their scholarships scheme be.

Schoolings has shown that the bunch of scholars are damn useless useless in their plan to get sinkapore to win gold medal in Olympics. After spending more than $100 million in various schemes, including making rejected foreign sportperson into instant sinkees to represent sinkapore, they did not achieve anything significant.

Meanwhile, a family invested a few hundred thousands in their son over 10 years did the job.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Some celebrations are related, others are obviously out to brand itself. Remember Teo Ser Luck, the PAP clown, told the nation in grieve to honour LKY by doing some sort of exercises and later he took it off from his fb after much cry from public about his stupid suggestion.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, look at the last paras of the article. Chris De Souza announced the formation of the fund but it has not nothing to do with sports, Joseph Schooling or anything remotely connected to the success of schooling. Many are giving discounts or free gifts or unfurling banners congratulating the star but not this case. Really weird.

Some use this new found success to promote their own agenda but many others are really happy and make generous offers. In 1896 when the Greek guy won the first Marathon competition in Athens he was given lots of rewards including free haircuts for life from a barber.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Geylang got offer discount in honor of schooling or not ?

PAP has offered itself freely to J-Schooling now. If I were Schooling, I would take advantage of my glamour to tell my own story about PAP, without fearing any censorship because the world wanted to hear J-Schooling story in full.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Teo Ser Luck is truly a PAP clown second only to Lim Swee Say. Both notorious for saying the wrong things every time.

Some celebrations are related, others are obviously out to brand itself. Remember Teo Ser Luck, the PAP clown, told the nation in grieve to honour LKY by doing some sort of exercises and later he took it off from his fb after much cry from public about his stupid suggestion.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PAP has offered itself freely to J-Schooling now. If I were Schooling, I would take advantage of my glamour to tell my own story about PAP, without fearing any censorship because the world wanted to hear J-Schooling story in full.

If he did that he would have to run road because the PAP is very vindictive. One of the first things they would probably do is to insist that he do NS.
Then they would go after his parents.

Schooling can probably compete in swimming until he is 30 & I wonder if they will differ his NS until that age?
I think it is a matter of when he will emigrate rather than if he will emigrate because he has spent so much time in the US that he has been americanised.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am in the process of bringing Joseph to chiong Geylang. OKT promised me two free fucks - one for Joe, one for myself. Will do the FR.