• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Princess Lee Wei Ling, This PAP govt is not like previous govt

blueRad

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.facebook.com/weiling.lee.980/posts/286541565034827

Wah, the princess has spoken for an opposition cause...

In Straits Times on 12/8/2016, it was reported that the contempt of court laws are set to be entered into the statutes.

Minister Shanmugam stated that

1) It gives the public a better sense of what action can unduly influence court proceedings, known as sub judice. Ironically, Sub Judice rules were set up for situation where there is laymen jury who may be naïve enough to be misled by rumours or lead by emotion rather than logic as in religious or racial issues. It was this weakness of having a jury swayed by ignorance or emotions that lead our founding PM Lee Kuan Yew, to do away with Juries in Singapore courts. If your judges are so vulnerable, then the cabinet is at fault for its choice of candidates proposed to be promoted to be judges.

2) It provides a framework for contempt of court punishments. The maximum penalty is a fine up to $20,000 and/or jail term up to 12 months. This is very serious penalties for someone who may just want to speak out against an unfair judge and/or an unfair government. When I wrote in ST against the then penalty for Mr Tang Wee Sung, whilst I wrote out of my pity for Mr. Tang and the sense of how brutally unfair the penalty suggested by our Attorney General’s Chambers was, the letter published in Straits Time was worded with the help of Mr Shanmugam and his partner at Allen and Gledhill, Mr Lucian Wong. I would have written even if neither senior lawyers supported me, but the wording of my letter would have been very amateurish. Now being on the side of the government, Minister Shanmugam seems to see justice only from the point of view of the government and the AGC always being right.
In fact, it is bizarre for me after what Mr. Wong and Mr. Shanmugam encouraged and supported me to do then, that Mr. Shanmugam now wants to demolish a tiny trail leading to some degree of justice for someone whom the government considers a nuisance.

3) It provides a framework for contempt of court punishment and sets a limit on fines and prison sentences which as seen from above can be very serious.
This has led to widespread concern amongst Singaporeans who understand the implications of this proposed law and one need only search the internet to find multiple posts stating why this bill will gag public debate on issues that are important to Singaporeans. I will not repeat what has been clearly stated in petition against this bill which was published Straits Times on 12/8/2016.
Rather, I am amazed that there has not been more vocal protest by more Singaporeans. A phenomenon I observed this morning may provide the answer. I woke up and stepped out of my air-conditioned bedroom and immediately smelled smoked. I asked my two maids who sleep in bedrooms with their windows open whether they smelt anything smoke and they did not. I called a friend who also sleeps in air-conditioned bedroom and he too smelt smoke as he stepped out of his bedroom. Smell is a sensation that we quickly get used to and then no longer notice it if it lingers for less than an hour. Perhaps, Singaporeans have gotten used to an authoritarian government who until recently had always acted for their wellbeing, and so when another new action is taken, they do not even bother to think whether it may be against their welfare. This current government is not like previous PAP governments. I urged all Singaporeans, and all MPs and NMPs to think through what has been proposed, and also read the many commentaries on the internet.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
If this bill is tabled in Hong Kong, Taiwan, etc., wonder what will be the reaction of their people.

Sinkies are so tame and mild, it is a joy controlling their lives, and with a stratosphere-level of salary to boot.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
https://www.facebook.com/weiling.lee.980/posts/286541565034827

Wah, the princess has spoken for an opposition cause...

In Straits Times on 12/8/2016, it was reported that the contempt of court laws are set to be entered into the statutes.

. I called a friend who also sleeps in air-conditioned bedroom and he too smelt smoke as he stepped out of his bedroom. .

Contrary to popular belief, I am not that friend that Ling called, ok? In fact, I am quite jealous that she did not call me. Was this air conditioned bedroom that he stepped out of, next to her room? Although we share a common goal of smearing the PAP, i deny all insinuations that I am THE MALE Friend. out.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good to hear her speak up against govt policies-but will the 70% understand?

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
For a President's Scholar and a member of Sinkieland's exceptional Familee, I'm speechless that her writing and thought process is below par.

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Perhaps, Singaporeans have gotten used to an authoritarian government who until recently had always acted for their wellbeing, and so when another new action is taken, they do not even bother to think whether it may be against their welfare.

LOL! Yes, yes, yes. Your underwear daddy LKY had always acted for the wellbeing of sinkies so much so that we now have a growing graying population that doesn't have enough CPF monies for retirement and humongous loan for a tiny pigeon hole in the sky, and worse, they have their balls and ovaries dissected so severely that the only opium to relieve their pain is the bullshit from the state controlled Straits Times and Mediacorp.

Lee Wei Ling, please thank your daddy on our behalf on this month of the hungry ghost.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Lets wait for Shanmugam's rebuttal. She has a point and I glad she brought it out.

Lee Wei Ling kowtows and admits her mistake.

SINGAPORE — Barely an hour after she launched an attack on a Bill detailing contempt of court laws and restarted an online feud between her and the government, Dr Lee Wei Ling admitted that she had been wrong in her assumptions and apologised publicly.

Dr Lee, who is the sister of Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, had slammed the Administration of Justice (Protection) Bill, which makes contempt of court a criminal offence. The scope of the Bill extends to prejudicing court matters, disobeying court orders and scandalising the courts.

In her initial Facebook post, Dr Lee mentioned a letter she had written to the press in 2008 about Tangs scion Tang Wee Sung being jailed a day after he had tried to buy a kidney illegally, which she thought was an unfair sentence.

That letter, she said, had been written with the encouragement of Law Minister K Shanmugam, who was then a top lawyer.

However, the new Bill signalled that Mr Shanmugam “now wants to demolish a tiny trail leading to some degree of justice” for any person whom the government considers a nuisance, said Dr Lee.

http://www.todayonline.com/singapor...-attacking-bill-detailing-contempt-court-laws

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
However, leading activists who contend that the bill is vague and is subject to the whims of the govt is still valid despite LWL's assumption.

Then why did that ugly bitch apologize?

PAP 1 Opposition cocksuckers 0!! As usual!