• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Batam rocket "attack", much ado about nothing, fake alarm to scare Sinkies

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I wonder why the PAP will reveal the existence of alleged terrorists planning a rocket attack aimed at singapore when cracks in SMRT trains would not be revealed because they make cause undue panic. LOL. In future, if the PAP does not want to reveal the cracks in trains due to this undue panic, may I also suggest that they do not reveal any potential terrorist attacks because that would really cause panic.

But i digress. I want to present some facts and of course ex or present Arty personnel, including our good forum friend Gay Loong can feel free to chip in.

This alleged attack was to occur in Batam, an island at its closest point 15km from Singapore. The 2 tips of the island Batu Merah and Nongsa are at the very least 15km from singapore. Nongsa being the terminal of the ferry between Singapore Tanah Merah and Batam. Needless to say, this area will be populated by security and immigration personnel as an entry checkpoint. In addition Batu Merah is also quite a populated are with resorts there and you have to drive through downtown Batam to get there.

If you are terrorists trying to fire off rockets at singapore, you want an area that is relatively free from prying eyes (it will take a few minutes to set up and fire), as well as some open area with no trees or buildings that might impede the rocket's flight. In the Palestinian rocket attacks on Israel, home made rockets were fired quickly from football fields and other such open areas and then the terrorists dissappeared into a friendly are and watched the news to see how many Israelis they killed. this is not the case here, as anyone setting up a rocket to be fired, or even transporting the rocket to the place for it to be fired will be subject to inquisitive minds and it will be hard for them to make their escapes after that. So, if they look for an area deeper into Batam island for privacy, then All in, you might be looking at a range that is 20km or more from singapore, as the crow flies.

Of all the rockets in the world's inventory, very few are simple enough to be operated by quasi military personnel with minimal training. The palestinians used home made rockets with a range of 3-4 km, the Qassam class of rockets. Of course, many Israelis targets are within 3-4 km of Gaza or the West bank. So, the lack of range was not an issue for them. In this case, home made Indonesian rockets in this classification will not work at all due to lack of range. This is what a Qassam looks like:

attachment.php

Next up are simple multiple rocket propelled systems (MLRS), of which the Russians and Chinese dominate the market in. We can be assured no US or western countries would sell any potential terrorists their rockets. This leaves the Russian Grad missiles (a development of world war 2 Katyusha rockets). The 122mm Grad or BM-21 look like this:

attachment.php

What are the odds that terrorists will be driving this around Batam to launch at Singapore?. This rocket has a range of 20km, just at the very limit of its range to hit singapore. Now, they also make a single shot rocket laucher based on one tube from the BM-21 which is called the Grad-P. Its a man portable rocket system and here is what it looks like.

attachment.php

In theory, its supposed to have the same 20km range as the mother system, but being a MANPortable and mounted on a tripod, I doubt this. Again, not likely that something like that can hit SIngapore at all. Although this would be much easier to smuggle in and use. But here again, the range is big deciding factor, and I doubt if it has it. Other rocket launchers sold by Chinese and Russians include the modernized Nebelwefer called the Type 63 which comes in the 107mm calibre. This rocket system has to be towed around Batam if it were to be fired against singapore, but even then, it has a range of only 8km.

attachment.php

There are many rocket system with the range to easily hit singapore but these are pretty sophisticated operations with satellite and computer guidance systems such as the US HIMARS (used by Singapore), the Brazilian Avribas (Used by Malaysia) and more, which are beyond the capability of the Batam terrorists to operate and acquire.

HIMARS

attachment.php

So, my question is, other then a home made rocket, how then are terrorists suppose to smuggle such things in? And if they could deploy such a weapon, why not fire it into a hotel during a conference full of westerners or at the US Embassy in Jakarta. They are sure to kill someone versus firing an unguided rocket over about 20km of water and into an area that you don't know will have any structures or people in it. Quite likely, even the slightest miscalculation would send the rocket into the sea because there is no reserve solid fuel in the rocket. According to the news reports, After supposedly finding weapons stashed by the terrorists, there has been no pictures of rockets or rocket parts. So, in the end, i can only conclude that the ambition of these terrorists exceed their capability to acqure and use such rockets. In other words, where was this supposed threat?

Just my 2 cents.

Attachments

• 300px-Russian_BM-21_Grad_in_Saint_Petersburg.JPG
    300px-Russian_BM-21_Grad_in_Saint_Petersburg.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 1,885
  • Grad-P-batey-haosef-2.jpg
    Grad-P-batey-haosef-2.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 1,724
  • Flickr_-_Israel_Defense_Forces_-_Eight_Qassam_Launchers_in_Gaza.jpg
    Flickr_-_Israel_Defense_Forces_-_Eight_Qassam_Launchers_in_Gaza.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 1,849
  • Type_63_MRLS_107mm_multiple_rocket_launcher_system_China_Chinese_army_Defense_Industry_640.jpg
    Type_63_MRLS_107mm_multiple_rocket_launcher_system_China_Chinese_army_Defense_Industry_640.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,770
  • LAND_M142_HIMARS_USMC_lg.jpg
    LAND_M142_HIMARS_USMC_lg.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 1,779
Last edited:

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder why the PAP will reveal the existence of alleged terrorists planning a rocket attack aimed at singapore when cracks in SMRT trains would not be revealed because they make cause undue panic. LOL. In future, if the PAP does not want to reveal the cracks in trains due to this undue panic, may I also suggest that they do not reveal any potential terrorist attacks because that would really cause panic.

But i digress. I want to present some facts and of course ex or present Arty personnel, including our good forum friend Gay Loong can feel free to chip in.
Just my 2 cents.

wah GE round the corner again?

BTW it takes lots of bombs to set up a motar range table. So if Batamese terrors using vietcong rocket technology they oso need to spend a lot of money to set out a rocket range table............

As for launch site they can use any of the many islets around Batam........ most of them uninhabited and it is said that fishes there die of old age..........

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Say... Range of about 30km, point 45 degrees, the projectile needs to reach about a height of 7.5 km into the sky at mid flight.

Correct?

Last edited:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
TS - WP MPs should be asking Pinky why the inconsistency? On one hand, $8 say S'poreans should not be alarmed. On the other hand, Shamemugam alarmed us over 'impotent' missiles. Our fucking ministers are just clowns!

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is there any panic by sinkies that a terrorist group almost fired a Kissel into Marina Bay Area? NO! Jot even if properties and lives were at risk. MIW never worried about panic when they announced it.

But MIW was so thoughtful about sinkie being panic when many trains were ship back to factory for repair!

It just shows how much sinkies cared about their lives against no upgrade to their properties, if town councils sweeps the corridors, have Pioneer discounts or not, and GST rebates!

I don't know what to say <feet stamping>.

cocobobo

Alfrescian
Loyal
To encourage peasants to stay in sg over ndp period rather than dangerous places like batam, jb, bangkok etc

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
wah GE round the corner again?

BTW it takes lots of bombs to set up a motar range table. So if Batamese terrors using vietcong rocket technology they oso need to spend a lot of money to set out a rocket range table............

As for launch site they can use any of the many islets around Batam........ most of them uninhabited and it is said that fishes there die of old age..........

Exactly. U are right, they need to have a lot of practice and training before that can take place.

regarding the islets around batam, here the issue is not that easy. They have to dismantle the rocket and bring it by boat out to the islet. Which they have to recce first and make sure that it is within range of singapore and to make sure that its sparsely or totally unpopulated. then they have to reassemble it on the islet, and prime it for launch. I don't know how stable the solid fuel is during the boat trip. or whether its transported already assembled. But for sure the launcher has to be done on site. then they have to make a quick getaway from the islet after the launch. Again not an easy thing to do, because aircraft and drones will be in the air looking for them. Its not like they can melt into the population of batam. So, I would say its not likely they will use an islet.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
TS - WP MPs should be asking Pinky why the inconsistency? On one hand, $8 say S'poreans should not be alarmed. On the other hand, Shamemugam alarmed us over 'impotent' missiles. Our fucking ministers are just clowns!

that is exactly what I meant. Old Fart, founder of singapore, leader of a fishing village into a first world metropolis, dies and the people did not panic. ISIS want to fire rockets from batam into Singapore, also no panic. Ah Heng got stroke also no panic. Gay Loong got cancer also no panic. But suddenly hair line cracks in the alumimum of some made in china trains and Penang Cow says its a source of panic? Never trust a malaysian. they are all lying pieces of shit.

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Say... Range of about 30km, point 45 degrees, the projectile needs to reach about a height of 7.5 km into the sky at mid flight.

Correct?

Yes, the maximum range for the rocket is 4 times the maximum height. SO, it has to reach 7.5km at the top of its parabolic flight. That is the limit of the troposphere, I think. very high, not sure a home made rocket can reach that high.

Tony Tan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Watch "Hezbollah rocket attack" on YouTube

Pse do not get too disappointed though I recognized it is a disappointment that no rocket had hit here, no extra NDP51 Fireworks.

ISIS is a very big organization with lots of resources and very profound experiences. They are able to train many people secretively and use easily available materials to make very impressive and effective weapons.

After short delays they will deliver their promises and be even more heart touching and impressive than SMRT, the PAP government will give them full marks, just like their own MRT Assessments.

Clap clap!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pinky should know best on this right? he was an artillery officer, a TA one....should be able to calculate the nearest trajectory point in Batam to MBS...can a 120mm mortar or a 80mm or they can borrow the howitzer of 155mm & fire across?

Shame your gun...should not make the gamblers at MBS "panic"...

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Yes, the maximum range for the rocket is 4 times the maximum height. SO, it has to reach 7.5km at the top of its parabolic flight. That is the limit of the troposphere, I think. very high, not sure a home made rocket can reach that high.

What a fucking shame, PAP can't claim and justify this expensive piece of SAM that they installed since they can't use it in action

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Dome

Tony Tan

Alfrescian
Loyal
[video=youtube_share;cERo8I4HZNQ]https://youtu.be/cERo8I4HZNQ[/video]

[video=youtube_share;JRyWye1GL4A]https://youtu.be/JRyWye1GL4A[/video]

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
that is exactly what I meant. Old Fart, founder of singapore, leader of a fishing village into a first world metropolis, dies and the people did not panic. ISIS want to fire rockets from batam into Singapore, also no panic. Ah Heng got stroke also no panic. Gay Loong got cancer also no panic. But suddenly hair line cracks in the alumimum of some made in china trains and Penang Cow says its a source of panic? Never trust a malaysian. they are all lying pieces of shit.

No offence to all the Malaysian friends I have.....you can jolly well say...it is their inherent streak....you can add Bull to that shit...& you get BULL SHIT!.

Tony Tan

Alfrescian
Loyal
[video=youtube_share;2WdP-krvCSg]https://youtu.be/2WdP-krvCSg[/video]

[video=youtube_share;1PD-SbyQGto]https://youtu.be/1PD-SbyQGto[/video]