• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2016-17 ☆

Alexis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Arsenal can be proud of this red-card record

22 January 2017 18:32

1243673header.jpg

Having a player sent off is supposed to be a punishment, but Arsenal have proved over the years that being a man down does not necessarily lead to a negative result.

The Gunners had Granit Xhaka sent off after 65 minutes of their 2-1 victory over Burnley on Sunday, with Alexis Sanchez's 98th-minute penalty trumping Andre Gray's leveller from the spot five minutes earlier.

And it turns out Arsenal have made a habit of claiming maximum points after one of their players has seen red - Xhaka given his marching orders for a studs-up challenge on Steven Defour on this occasion.

According to Opta data, Arsenal are the only team to have won more games than they have lost after having a player sent off in the Premier League - 31 victories outnumbering their 26 defeats.

So, when Arsenal next have a player dismissed, it is their opponents who should be on red alert.

Conte

Alfrescian
Loyal

´I made the best decision´ - Conte basks in Costa recall

22 January 2017 20:52

1243763header.jpg

Antonio Conte feels he was vindicated in recalling Diego Costa to the Chelsea starting XI after the controversial striker scored the opening goal in a 2-0 Premier League win over Hull on Sunday.

Costa had missed the Blues' previous match, a 3-0 victory at struggling champions Leicester City, supposedly with a back injury although rumours were rife the striker had fallen out with Conte and was reportedly courting a big-money move to the Chinese Super League.

The Spain international was picked from kick-off at Stamford Bridge, though, netting deep into first-half injury time as Chelsea saw off the challenge of the relegation-threatened Tigers.

"[His] performance was good," Conte told Sky Sports, with his team sitting eight points clear at the top.

"[I'm] happy, pleased for this. Before the game, in the press conference, a lot of people were asking me about his form, his attitude.

"And I said I would I take the best decision for the team and I think, after this performance, I made the best decision.

"But it is normal, normal to receive a lot of questions. The most important thing for us, is the answer that we gave on the pitch, for the players, for me, for the club, for the fans and most importantly for the league table."

Having scored, Costa made a gesture which seemed to call for silence from his critics, but Conte - reacting with typical exuberance to the deadlock being broken - was not in a position to note the possible significance of the player's body language.

"Honestly, I was very happy to see the celebration because I was celebrating the goal on the bench," he said.

"I think [for] Diego, the most important thing is he scored. The celebration is good, but the most important thing is he scored."

Chelsea faced a tough challenge at home to a Hull side who have improved under Portuguese coach Marco Silva, with Conte expecting plenty more difficult assignments as they attempt to reclaim the title.

"It's normal. If you see the other games, today, you understand that this league is very difficult," he said.

"When I continue to [say this for] every game, [it] is not easy, every game is tough. We face the game in the right way.

"Now it's important to continue and to know that every game we must fight a lot to try to win.

"[With] every game, three points become very [significant]. But we are ready to fight, ready to face the opponent. The games are very tough also for the other teams."

Jurgen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Gerrard´s managerial ambitions ´wonderful news for Liverpool´ - Klopp

23 January 2017 15:35

1244147header.jpg

Jurgen Klopp says Steven Gerrard's managerial aspirations are "wonderful news" for Liverpool, after the legendary former captain's return was announced last week.

On Friday, it was confirmed that Gerrard had been appointed as a full-time academy coach, after a playing career at Anfield that spanned 17 years and included a memorable Champions League triumph in 2005.

Gerrard has made no secret of his desire to one day become a manager - with the top job at Liverpool seemingly inevitable at some stage.

And Klopp, who took over from Brendan Rodgers in October 2015, says he and the club will do everything in their power to help the career of the Anfield icon.

"We had a very good talk together. Everyone knows he is a wonderful guy," Klopp said in a media conference ahead of Wednesday's EFL Cup semi-final second leg at home to Southampton, where Liverpool will attempt to overturn a 1-0 deficit.

"For me it was important to know what Steven wants. He said he wants to be a manager in the future. That's cool.

"From my side we spoke about what I can do to help him. That’s cool.

"Being a manager is a job you have to learn. When a person like Steven Gerrard is ready to make the steps, that's wonderful news for Liverpool."

Moyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho wants United players out of ´comfort zone´

4 February 2017 00:41

1251267header.jpg

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has questioned the mentality of some of his players, calling for them to break out of their "comfort zone".

Despite a 14-match unbeaten run in the Premier League, three consecutive draws has left United sitting sixth in the table, four points back from the final Champions League qualification place.

Mourinho has been critical of members of his squad throughout the campaign, the Portuguese claiming they are taking longer than expected to adapt to his demands.

"I didn't know the players very well. I didn't know that some players need time to live with this, because it must be part of your natural habitat," he was quoted as saying in the UK media.

"Play to win, responsibility to win, cope with the pressure to win. This is something that has to belong to your natural habitat. For some guys, it doesn't.

"They also need that time to go out of their comfort zone or a zone where they are protected that we assume the objective is not to win, that also takes time."

Mourinho, whose team visit Leicester City in the league on Sunday, feels his own hunger for success has never changed, citing an expectation of continual improvement from himself and his players.

"Something in football that doesn't change, especially in my mentality, is the desire to win, the responsibility to win, the feeling that I'm never happy with myself, that I always want more from myself," Mourinho said.

"I don't accept anything that is good. You don't want good, you want very good.

"That is something I always fight for every day for the people that surround me - players, assistants, medical department, everybody."

ArseneWenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wenger to decide Arsenal future on ´gut feeling´

4 February 2017 00:18

1251251header.jpg

Arsene Wenger has made it clear that his future at Arsenal depends on "a gut feeling".

The 67-year-old's contract is due to expire at the end of the season and he has yet to make a final decision on his future.

"It is not all quantifiable," Wenger told reporters when explaining the tough decision that awaits him.

"It is linked with your gut feeling as well."

Wenger's future at Arsenal has been one of the main talking points at the Emirates Stadium this season, but he does not fear the uncertainty over whether he will stay will affect the team.

"My future has always been certain," the Frenchman added.

"I focus 100 per cent until the last day of my contract. That is the only way you can guarantee the future.

"The players must not think beyond the game."

The former Monaco boss has received his fair share of criticism in recent years and he believes the changed attitude among fans is part of a wider trend in society.

"Everybody can express their frustrations in a fraction of a second now and there is no time to take any distance from what happened," Wenger continued.

"I focus on what I can influence. I live with the response of society. Do we go the right way? Maybe. But if you look at society all over the world, we are not really sure.

"The fans honestly were good on Tuesday night against Watford. You talk about the after-game response and that is usual when your team loses but during the game they were good."

Pogba

Alfrescian
Loyal

They talk too much s***! - Costa hits out at Chinese whispers

3 February 2017 17:15

1251003header.jpg

If Chelsea fans still had any lingering concerns over losing Diego Costa to the Chinese Super League, the striker moved to allay those fears with a seemingly angry Instagram post on Friday.

Talk of a big-money move east for Costa has been a regular feature on the back pages over recent months, with Tianjin Quanjian reportedly ready to make the Spain international unfathomably rich.

On Friday it was claimed Costa had agreed a £30million-a-year deal to head to China at the end of the season, although Chelsea boss Antonio Conte did not appear overly concerned at his news conference ahead of Saturday's Premier League clash with Arsenal, insisting his star striker is happy in west London.

And Costa followed up those comments from Conte with his own response, posting on Instagram: "They talk too much s***!!! Come on Chelsea!!!"

Chelsea striker Diego Costa appears to have hit out at those continuing to link him with a move to China! #CFC pic.twitter.com/HmGCjtJZQ7

— Omnisport (@OmnisportNews) February 3, 2017

I guess that settles it, then. Well, until the next rumours surface.

Conte

Alfrescian
Loyal

In three Champions League finals, I won one - Conte´s title warning to Chelsea

4 February 2017 18:49

1251653header.jpg

Antonio Conte will call upon moments of bitter disappointment from his own esteemed playing career to keep Chelsea focused on their bid for the Premier League title.

Saturday's resounding 3-1 win over Arsenal established a 12-point lead at the top of the table – one that remained after Liverpool slipped to a shock 2-0 defeat at Hull City.

Conte, formerly a player and head coach for Juventus and Italy, knows triumph and despair at the sharp end of the game well.

He recalled Juve's Champions League final defeats at the hands of Borussia Dortmund and AC Milan in 1997 and 2003 respectively, having overcome Ajax on penalties to conquer Europe in 1996.

The Old Lady also succumbed to Lazio's thrilling late charge to snatch Serie A glory in 1999-2000 and Conte is wary of his in-form side suffering a similar fate with 14 matches still to play.

"We haven't won the title. It is important to know this and to keep our antenna very high," he said.

"In my career as a footballer I won a lot but I lost a lot. When you have got to three finals of the Champions League and you win only one, I think you have a great hunger.

"Also, during my experience as a footballer, I won a title with eight points more before four games at the end. Another time I lost in the same way.

"For this reason I feel I have a bit of experience to manage this situation."

London is Blue! #CHEARS pic.twitter.com/RzqDoZ8Lqm
— Chelsea FC (@ChelseaFC) February 4, 2017

In contrast to their previous best efforts in the Premier League, Chelsea's impressive form this time around have come with club captain John Terry as a spectator.

The 36-year-old again failed to make the matchday squad against Arsenal and, when asked to acknowledge his on-field skipper Gary Cahill, Conte also reserved warm words for the former England centre-back.

"Yes, but I want to underline that our captain is John Terry," he said.

"John is our captain, is doing the captaincy very well and is helping me a lot – not only me, but his team-mates.

"His behaviour is fantastic. Gary is vice-captain and now he is captain on the pitch when John doesn't play.

"Cahill I think is playing very well and he is showing all his quality. He is a really good defender

"I am happy for him and for his performance.

"Now it is important because the championship did not finish today."

Sterling

Alfrescian
Loyal

Arsenal and Chelsea to play in China

4 February 2017 05:26

1251327header.jpg

Premier League rivals Arsenal and Chelsea will go head-to-head in a friendly in China in July.

Beijing will be the location for the pre-season clash - with Arsenal and Chelsea set to meet outside of United Kingdom for the first time - at the Bird's Nest Stadium on July 22.

The announcement comes as runaway Premier League leaders Chelsea welcome London rivals Arsenal to Stamford Bridge on Saturday.

"In this moment we are focused on winning a very important game against Arsenal in the league but we are happy to be travelling to China for another exciting match in the summer," said Chelsea head coach Antonio Conte.

"I have seen already the passion our supporters have for Chelsea here in England and last summer in America, and I believe our fans in China will show the same intensity when we are in Beijing."

Hey China, Arsenal are coming to Beijing… pic.twitter.com/Cpos25ynHM

— Arsenal FC (@Arsenal) February 4, 2017

July's friendly will mark the end of Arsenal's pre-season tour of Asia and Australia, with Arsene Wenger's men to face A-League duo Sydney FC and Western Sydney Wanderers before travelling to the Chinese capital.

Arsenal - set to make their third visit to China - will play Sydney FC at ANZ Stadium on July 13 and Western Sydney two days later.

Chelsea, who are scheduled to play in Perth next year, will return to mainland China for the first time since 2008.

Vardy

Alfrescian
Loyal

Leicester job favourite Mancini: I am sorry for my friend Ranieri

24 February 2017 13:05

1263166header.jpg

Roberto Mancini, the bookmakers' favourite to replace Claudio Ranieri as Leicester City manager, says he is "sorry for his friend" after the Premier League champions' decision to sack him.

Ranieri was dismissed on Thursday under a year after he led them to a first top-flight title in their history, having been billed as pre-season relegation candidates.

The 65-year-old had struggled to replicate those highs this season and was controversially sacked with Leicester sitting only one point above the relegation zone having suffered five straight league defeats.

Mancini - who played for Leicester in 2001 - has been installed as the early favourite to take the job, but his first thoughts were to pay tribute to Ranieri.

I am sorry for my friend #Ranieri . He will remain in the history of @LCFC , in the heart of #Leicester fans and all football lovers.

— Roberto Mancini (@robymancio) February 24, 2017

"I am sorry for my friend Ranieri," Mancini wrote on Twitter.

"He will remain in the history of Leicester, in the heart of Leicester fans and all football lovers."

Mancini, 52, has been out of management since losing his job at Inter, who he was leading for a second spell, last August.

He previously managed in England with Manchester City, leading the club for three-and-a-half-years and winning the title in 2012.

Mancini has also taken charge of Fiorentina, Lazio and Galatasaray.

Conte

Alfrescian
Loyal

Conte willing to risk sack to lead Chelsea to Premier League glory

24 February 2017 14:49

1263236header.jpg

Antonio Conte is ready to take the risk of winning the Premier League with Chelsea, despite seeing Claudio Ranieri become the latest manager to lose his job the season after lifting the trophy.

Ranieri was sacked by Leicester City on Thursday with the club only one point above the relegation zone, just nine months after guiding the club to the most improbable title win in the history of the Premier League.

With Ranieri's departure, none of the last five title winners are in a job with the team they won the league with, the Italian suffering the same fate as former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho, who was sacked in December 2015.

But that is of no concern to Conte, who came under pressure following successive league defeats to Liverpool and Arsenal in September but now has his side eight points clear at the top with 13 games to play.

"I was already sacked this season with the bookmakers and was lucky to keep the right concentration and to work," Conte told a media conference ahead of Saturday's game with Swansea City.

"It is important to finish the season in the right way, but I am ready to face this risk next season. I am focused as are the players about this. There are 13 games and we want to stay top.

"It won't be easy but I am ready to take this risk, because it means we will have won the league!"

On Ranieri's exit, which came after their 2-1 loss to Sevilla in the Champions League last-16 first leg he added: "I am very sad because it is our job and I am disappointed for him, he is a friend, a really good man, a really good manager and he won the title only months ago.

"He reached a dream to win the title and as a coach I am sad.

"For now, it is better to wait. I understand his frustration and the situation but I will call him, which is natural after this – to talk and to show my disappointment for this decision as I think it is very strong.

"I was surprised after the first game in the Champions League, it was a good result. You only need to win 1-0 and you'd be in the quarter-final, it was a dream for them."

Roberto Mancini is the early favourite to replace Ranieri, but Conte said: "It is a lack of respect to talk about the next man after Claudio.

"I know Roberto and he is a really good coach but it is not right to talk about another manager the next day."

Jurgen

Alfrescian
Loyal

It all depends on success - Klopp knows trophies are a must

25 February 2017 00:15

1263540header.jpg

Jurgen Klopp is grateful to have a long-term deal at Liverpool, but know success must follow if he is to stay in the role.

The German is still waiting for his first trophy at the helm, although Liverpool have shown signs of improvement since his arrival in October 2015.

But after Claudio Ranieri was sacked by Leicester City less than a year after leading the club to a fairytale Premier League title triumph, Klopp claimed it was a reminder trophies are a must.

"I'm not experienced in other situations where you don't get time," he was quoted as saying by the Liverpool Echo, ahead of facing Leicester on Monday.

"I have always had this. I've always been on a long contract, as long as I wanted, and I have no idea why exactly it happened to me.

"Liverpool as a club wants to have a long relationship with its manager but as always it all depends on success.

"If we cannot win anything or even come close to big things over the next few years then it will be difficult to go for it."

The message from the boss ahead of Monday. pic.twitter.com/wsQD6Jd8l4
— Liverpool FC (@LFC) February 24, 2017

After less than a year in charge at Anfield, Klopp signed a six-year extension, tying him to Liverpool until 2022.

Like Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola, Klopp arrived in England having only been in charge of two clubs previously.

But the former Mainz and Borussia Dortmund coach said sackings are inevitable.

"At this moment it is very special because it is Leicester, the champions of last year and all that stuff," Klopp said.

"If you want a similar situation you only have to look at Chelsea the year before – champions and then the manager [then Jose Mourinho] gets sacked.

"Pep has not been sacked until now, I have not been sacked until now but there are only a few."

Conte

Alfrescian
Loyal

I didn´t sleep for six days – Conte motivated by last-gasp title loss

25 February 2017 00:22

1263548header.jpg

Antonio Conte has revealed the pain of losing a title on the last day of the season motivates his desire for Premier League leaders Chelsea to continue to push hard for points.

Chelsea's eight-point lead from Manchester City has led to many onlookers proclaiming Conte's men the champions-elect, with Saturday's home game against Swansea City offering an opportunity to stretch their advantage further.

But despite Chelsea winning 19 of their 25 league games this season, Conte knows the title will not be secured until glory is mathematically confirmed after mixed experiences earlier in his career, when he played for Juventus.

"In my experience as a footballer I have had two experiences [of a collapse]," Conte told reporters. "One good experience, another bad experience against Lazio.

"Lazio in the last six or seven games they recovered seven points, eight points and we lost the title in the last game against Perugia. I was captain of the team. I remember after this game I must go to the European Championship with the national team.

"I didn't sleep for six days because it was a shock for me to lose the title. In another situation I won the title to recover against Inter from eight points behind. We won the last game against Udinese and Inter lost the game against Lazio."

With 13 league games to play and no European distractions for Chelsea, Conte is targeting the 10 wins and two draws that would ensure his side cannot be caught by any of the chasing pack.

"There is a long time before we can say we have won the title," Conte said. "We must be focused, we must go step by step. Now I'm sure to win the title we must get 32 points.

"There is a long time left. 13 games is an enormous space of time. I am sure if we take 32 points we win the title. Otherwise anything can happen."

Conte reflected on the sacking of compatriot Claudio Ranieri by Leicester City, the club dismissing the Italian despite last season's incredible Premier League title triumph.

"In Italy we are used to being sacked and we live with this situation," he said. "It is not easy, but to know this you are stronger because you try with all your strength to put in 120 per cent. Because you know your life could be very short.

"Now I see in England these situations are increasing, and also in the Championship I see a lot of managers are sacked. This is our job, and the risk of our job. We know this and we must work very hard to have good results, to try to keep our job. For sure, our job is a job with great risk."

Mancini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Leicester job favourite Mancini: I am sorry for my friend Ranieri

24 February 2017 13:05

1263166header.jpg

Roberto Mancini, the bookmakers' favourite to replace Claudio Ranieri as Leicester City manager, says he is "sorry for his friend" after the Premier League champions' decision to sack him.

Ranieri was dismissed on Thursday under a year after he led them to a first top-flight title in their history, having been billed as pre-season relegation candidates.

The 65-year-old had struggled to replicate those highs this season and was controversially sacked with Leicester sitting only one point above the relegation zone having suffered five straight league defeats.

Mancini - who played for Leicester in 2001 - has been installed as the early favourite to take the job, but his first thoughts were to pay tribute to Ranieri.

I am sorry for my friend #Ranieri . He will remain in the history of @LCFC , in the heart of #Leicester fans and all football lovers.

— Roberto Mancini (@robymancio) February 24, 2017

"I am sorry for my friend Ranieri," Mancini wrote on Twitter.

"He will remain in the history of Leicester, in the heart of Leicester fans and all football lovers."

Mancini, 52, has been out of management since losing his job at Inter, who he was leading for a second spell, last August.

He previously managed in England with Manchester City, leading the club for three-and-a-half-years and winning the title in 2012.

Mancini has also taken charge of Fiorentina, Lazio and Galatasaray.

Pogba

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho: It´s more difficult to win now

25 February 2017 00:30

1263547header.jpg

Jose Mourinho has claimed it is getting harder than ever to capture major prizes, as he prepares to lead Manchester United in the EFL Cup final against Southampton on Sunday.

Having lifted three Premier League titles since 2005, together with a glittering haul of silverware from his time at Porto, Inter and Real Madrid, the Portuguese manager knows what it takes to win trophies.

He has already steered the Red Devils to the relatively minor Community Shield, recording a 2-1 win over Leicester City, and the team remain in the hunt for both the FA Cup and Europa League.

However, they are a distant sixth in the Premier League table, 12 points behind leaders Chelsea, as their wait for a first championship crown since Alex Ferguson's final season in charge, the 2012-13 campaign, looks set to continue.

Addressing the media ahead of the showdown with the Saints in north London, Mourinho emphasised the importance of developing a winning mentality within the squad.

Catch up on another busy day at #MUFC with @EuropaLeague draw reaction and #EFLCup team news: https://t.co/cvH8sUhTQf pic.twitter.com/muAtQlsOBD
— Manchester United (@ManUtd) February 24, 2017

"It's a good thing for them [the players] if we manage to win another trophy and keep fighting for more," he said.

"We all know the history of this club. We all know football is changing and it's much more difficult than it was before.

"Last season was very difficult for the club and the players. They all together, with the manager and the players, managed to win a trophy. It was a good taste for them. So we have to try."

Asked if he had encountered many players throughout his career who shared his will to win, the 54-year-old replied: "There are some. Not at all of them.

"I found people in my career that in spite [of being a] super talented player, [were] not naturally born winners or people ready to fight every day to win and win and keep winning.

"[Javier] Zanetti, [Frank] Lampard, these guys you don't find every day. But we have people that are showing to me they want to win this match and this match is what matters now."

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Manchester United 'most followed club in China'

AFP on February 24, 2017, 9:39 pm

58b00eeaacfd6_b2d498f59d67c88477b23c332d823d8172bd9c69.jpg

Shanghai (AFP) - Manchester United is the most popular club online in China but the Bundesliga's web presence far outstrips the English Premier League, a new study has shown.

The survey by sports marketing company Mailman also found that Cristiano Ronaldo was the player with the biggest presence among Chinese fans with United's Wayne Rooney, who has been linked with a move to the country, ranked fifth.

Manchester United has the most followers on China's Twitter-style Weibo, with 8.8 million, and a table-topping 700,000 monthly reads on the WeChat service, according to the report.

Germany's Bayern Munich placed second for online presence with Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester City rounding out the top five, and Real Madrid sixth.

But the Premier League is far less visible than the German Bundesliga, Mailman said, crediting its "full digital presence", including a Chinese-language website and live streaming, and the success of the German national team.

"The Bundesliga has been committed to digital innovation ever since we entered the market," Bundesliga CEO Christian Seifert was quoted as saying.

"We are glad to see that our multi-channel digital strategy is reaping great results both in terms of reach and fan engagement."

Arsenal's Mesut Ozil, Gareth Bale of Real Madrid and United forward Anthony Martial completed the top five most visible players online.

AFP

007agent

Alfrescian
Loyal
fucking cheebye OA retard,

where is the update on this thread :oIo:

this thread is so dead.

now be a good dog and go update this ok :biggrin:

Conte

Alfrescian
Loyal

Conte ready to move family to London as Chelsea boss eyes long stay

3 March 2017 12:15

1267145header.jpg

Chelsea manager Antonio Conte hopes to move his wife and daughter to London next season as he eyes a long stay at Stamford Bridge.

Conte has enjoyed a stellar first season with the Blues, who sit 10 points clear at the top of the Premier League after 26 matches.

Reports this week linked the former Italy coach with a move to Inter, following previous claims he had failed to settle in the English capital.

But Conte, who signed a three-year contract with the club, remains committed to Chelsea and hopes the arrival of his wife and daughter will make him feel more at home.

"I am very happy for this experience because for me and my family it is incredible," he told Standard Sport.

"For sure, in this season my wife and my daughter stayed in Italy but I hope they come and stay here also because I need them.

"Yes, I hope [I can manage here for years]. Usually, when you start a project with a new team you want to stay many years and to build something important with the club.

"For sure, to build you must work many years to have the opportunity to grow with your players and to try to win also because when you are the manager in a great club, the imperative is to try to win but also to play great football.

"It wasn't easy for me when you arrive at the start of the season after a bad year. But I am pleased for the players because they showed me great commitment to fight and to come back very soon to fight for the title.

"The most important thing is the success of the club, the players and the manager. I was sure to arrive here and also to compete in this league with other good managers.

"Now, it is important to continue in this way because anything can happen until the end but we want to continue to stay on top of the table."

Chelsea visit West Ham in the league on Monday.

Jurgen

Alfrescian
Loyal

I am not a clown, I don´t ignore the problems - Klopp

3 March 2017 14:18

1267252header.jpg

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp says he is "not a clown" and is not simply ignoring the problems at the club following their dreadful start to 2017.

Klopp's men have dropped to fifth in the Premier League having taken just six points from seven league games to start the calendar year, while also missing out on the EFL Cup final and being knocked out of the FA Cup by Championship side Wolves.

The Merseyside club welcome Arsenal to Anfield on Saturday and, on the back of a 3-1 defeat to managerless Leicester City on Monday, Klopp was in defiant mood.

"I am not a clown. I am not always laughing like crazy. We are all influenced by experiences. We don't ignore the problems," Klopp told a media conference.

"My job is to make the players feel there's a big chance to win it."

Jürgen Klopp on facing Arsenal: "The last games we played against them were kind of spectacular. Maybe the next one will be similar." pic.twitter.com/eX9NKyVjjZ

— Liverpool FC (@LFC) March 3, 2017

Klopp made no excuses for his side's performance against Leicester and said Liverpool would not be looking to their dramatic 4-3 win at Arsenal in the first game of the season for inspiration.

"We couldn't be surprised because we knew about the situation with Leicester. We just didn't perform," Klopp added.

"We have already analysed it. I can't keep it in my backpack. Now it's about Arsenal - [they have a] completely different style.

"Arsenal is here, we need to bounce back and keep the points at Anfield. We can't use the first Arsenal game [as motivation].

"It was a free-flowing start [to the season], not too perfectly organised with no bad experience together.

"It doesn’t feel that free-flowing anymore but that’s how seasons are.

"Only Chelsea have that feeling still, all the rest have had better or worse moments in the season. We have a lack of consistency.

"It's not too important to compare the start of the season with this moment. But it's obviously different."

Captain Jordan Henderson remains sidelined for Liverpool with a foot injury, while Dejan Lovren (knee) faces a late fitness test. Daniel Sturridge has not trained because of a virus and a muscle strain.

"Jordan is too soon for sure, Dejan we will see. He trained yesterday [Thursday], now we have to see how he reacts on this," Klopp explained.

"If nobody tells me different, we have to make a decision. He was out for four weeks, training three days. I'm not sure about it."

On Sturridge, Klopp said: "He's not training. He was really ill. Now he has a strain in his hip muscle from a rehab session.

"He'll be out of normal training for the next week. He can train, but not in team training."

Conte

Alfrescian
Loyal

Conte denies receiving Inter offer and targets Chelsea legacy

3 March 2017 14:46

1267255header.jpg

Antonio Conte has explicitly denied having received an offer to become head coach at Inter next season and is aiming instead to build a legacy at Chelsea.

It has been a memorable first season at Stamford Bridge for Conte thus far with Chelsea opening up a 10-point lead at the top of the Premier League ahead of this weekend's round of fixtures.

However, reports in the Italian media suggested Conte is unsettled in London with his family remaining in Italy.

The former Juventus boss was consequently linked with a move to San Siro, but the 47-year-old insists that his future remains in London and that he is planning for the long term at Chelsea.

Conte was asked at a news conference ahead of Chelsea's encounter with West Ham on Monday if Inter had made an offer to which he replied: "Me personally? No, no.

"I think my situation is very clear. I have a contract with Chelsea. [I am] trying to build something important with the club, for the present, for the future and I think the situation is very clear."

Bonjour, bonjour! Training is underway at Cobham... pic.twitter.com/ynAoYxf0YC

— Chelsea FC (@ChelseaFC) March 3, 2017

Conte told the Evening Standard this week of his hope to move his wife and daughter to London and he once again spoke of the importance of having his family around him.

"I am happy for sure, the only problem for me this season is the family is missing me for sure," he added on Friday.

"My family stayed in Italy and, yeah, I am working for the future, to bring them here and to stay together because for sure the family is missing me, this is true."

Conte signed a three-year contract to take over as Chelsea boss and the former Italy coach says it is only normal to think his stay will go beyond that deal.

"Every coach when you start working with a new club you hope to stay many years because it means you are working well, you have the possibility to improve your players and team and grow together," he added.

"This season we are doing this, putting in a great foundation for the future.

"There are a lot of players who won a lot here and the team is transitioning, it is normal for every coach to hope to stay for many years to achieve and reach great results.

"If you ask me my opinion, I hope to stay and work a lot for this club, to win a lot with this club.

"I am not worried about my future, I want to work with my players and I trust a lot in my work. We have to continue in this way to work hard and do something important.

"We are in the right position and we have the chance to continue this way."