• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat SMRT's amazing reply to runaway LTR train

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Look at the matter of reply by SMRT. Seems like no one was monitoring in their control and no alerts generated when trains misses stations. Only alerts generated when passengers call the station or the train intercom. Truly a class act.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/fault-on-antenna-caused/3003026.htmlFault on antenna caused train to skip stations on BPLRT line: SMRT
Posted 01 Aug 2016 15:25 Updated 01 Aug 2016 15:30
LRT train in Singapore (File photo)

SINGAPORE: A fault on an LRT train's antenna caused the train to skip stations along the Bukit Panjang LRT (BPLRT) line on Jul 28, SMRT said in a statement on Monday (Aug 1).

The public transport operator was responding to feedback from a commuter, Ms Jacqueline Bong, following its investigations.

Ms Bong wrote on SMRT's Facebook page on Jul 28 that she boarded an LRT train at Segar Station with the intention of alighting at Jelapang station. However, the train did not stop at Jelapang station. A commuter tried contacting staff via the emergency phone, but there was no response, according to Ms Bong.

She added that the train was moving "really fast and passed three stations without stopping", and that she tried pressing the emergency button aboard the train to no avail. The train came to a stop after a passenger made a call and eventually stopped near Phoenix station, Ms Bong said in her post.

In a statement, SMRT said that the BPLRT train skipped Jelapang station at about 11.50am on that day "due to a fault on the train's antenna that ensures trains stop accurately at each station".

"The train was hence not able to pick up the signal to stop at the next three stations," said SMRT's Vice President of Corporate Information and Communications Patrick Nathan in the statement.

EMERGENCY HALT REQUEST BUTTON CAN ONLY BE USED DURING COMPLETE STOP

Mr Nathan said that trains along the BPLRT line normally travel at 30 to 55 kilometres per hour depending on the gradient and turn at each section of the network, and in this instance, the train's speed did not exceed 55km per hour.

"The system is also equipped with an independent Automatic Train Protection System that ensures safe separation between trains," he added.

"Ms Bong referred to an emergency button being pressed several times. She was probably referring to the Emergency Halt Request button. We would like to clarify that this button can only be activated when a train comes to a complete stop at a station, to prevent it from moving off again," Mr Nathan said.

SMRT said its BPLRT Operations Control Centre (OCC) received alerts from commuters through the station intercom, the train's emergency phone and through the OCC hotline.

"An automatic alert is immediately triggered to the OCC when either the station intercom or the train’s emergency phone is used. When our OCC responded to the call from the station intercom, the call from the train’s emergency phone was put on queue. Concurrently, our OCC also received a call from a commuter’s mobile phone. When we subsequently responded to the call from the train’s emergency phone, we did not receive a response," Mr Nathan said.

The OCC then imposed a speed code restriction, which allowed the train to stop before Phoenix station, after which staff drove the train to Phoenix station. The train was withdrawn to the depot for further checks, SMRT said.

"All equipment in the train, including the emergency phone, are checked before the train is put into service each day. Commuters can also call our staff directly at the OCC for assistance using the contact number located in the train," Mr Nathan said.

In the statement, the public transport operator also apologised to Ms Bong and other commuters who were on board the affected train in the statement.

The BPLRT network is the oldest Light Rail Transit network in Singapore. In a blog post in March, SMRT said the network is nearly at the end of its design life. The network is fully automated and driverless trains ply the line, which has 14 stations.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
hahahahaha, this is the most ridiculous thing I have heard in a long time. Emergency Stop button can only be used when the train is at a complete stop? hahahaha.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not only that - the emergency intercom call from the runaway train was placed in a queue while they answered the calls from station intercom??? As though the whole fucking control centre for SMRT had only one arsehole to answer calls. They passed 3 stations and still no one to answer an emergency call from the train. So where is the priority - fucking no brains. Same thing happened when no responded and answered their calls in 2011 and the passengers had to use he fire extinguishers to break the class when the zircons and light cut out because of a dead emergency backup battery

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hahahahaha, this is the most ridiculous thing I have heard in a long time. Emergency Stop button can only be used when the train is at a complete stop? hahahaha.
It's like telling me a condom can only be used after u ejaculated.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not only that - the emergency intercom call from the runaway train was placed in a queue while they answered the calls from station intercom??? As though the whole fucking control centre for SMRT had only one arsehole to answer calls. They passed 3 stations and still no one to answer an emergency call from the train. So where is the priority - fucking no brains. Same thing happened when no responded and answered their calls in 2011 and the passengers had to use he fire extinguishers to break the class when the zircons and light cut out because of a dead emergency backup battery

I really don't know who is running SMRT but frankly they sound like ninnies. What exactly is the meaning of "emergency". This is a runaway train. If the public is not alarmed about this then they really deserve what's coming to them. This is scary stuff.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

It is fucking absurd! The only way to stop a moving train is to call in and wait for a response!! What would happen if the tracks are on fire or it is otherwise imperative that the train stops ASAP?

Mind boggling!

Also equally mind boggling that a train missing a stop does not trigger an immediate emergency. I would think that situation would be an immediate cause to halt the train!

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Emergency to SMRT and possibly govt, when only peasants are involved, is when the train goes off the track, felled and landed on the ground. Whoever still alive and in critical condition and with one last breath to press the emergency button. That, people, is 'emergency' to get them off their fat ass from their thousands of dollar chair.

Unfortunately for sinkies, Superman does not live in Sinkielalaland.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is fucking absurd! The only way to stop a moving train is to call in and wait for a response!! What would happen if the tracks are on fire or it is otherwise imperative that the train stops ASAP?

Mind boggling!

Also equally mind boggling that a train missing a stop does not trigger an immediate emergency. I would think that situation would be an immediate cause to halt the train!

sollie to collect you. the alternative is me... i am superman. i can stop a train, a plane, a UFO and a raging elephant all at the same time, just call me.

my lumber is +001 203 2335 8989, ask for extension 8889, press 1 for non emergency press 2 if you asking about payment, press 3 if you asking for quotation and press 7 to repeat the above messages, press 6 for emergency.

in emergency, press 1 for ukraine, press 2 for estonia, press 3 for london, press 4 for iraq (there will be extra charges), in case you got lost again, press 0 to repeat message. if you cannot find the country listed in the above, we are currently working with the authorities to bring this to you in the earliest possible time. please be patient :smile:

latest