• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat The Enigma that is Nathan

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The fainting incident at the National Day Rally and the passing of Nathan occurred unusually close to one another. Perhaps LHL should take some time to reflect on his actions and his life. Electorally he might have engineered the system so that the PAP will be invincible for the next 20 years. What however happens when life's journey comes to an end? Will he follow in the footsteps of his father? The funeral was magnificent but somehow LKY did not seem to be at peace. A man who is at peace does not ask his daughter to bring him to a jurisdiction where assisted suicide is legal.

Add in HSK's stroke.

Am surprised lhl announced he (HSK) is returning to work so soon. Usually for cases like his, a few months more rest is in order even under the best of circumstances.

I wonder if the pap leadership has been rattled by the events this past several months. They must know leadership succession is not exactly in place and the cabinet has plenty of duds.

Interesting times ahead

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rehash of the Laju Incident for the umpteenth time. What exactly happened. Why would the Kuwait Govt want to detain Nathan and the 12 other Singaporeans??

Ok, under Old Man's instructions he and 12 others volunteer themselves but as someone pointed out - they joined them in the plane when all of the terrorists handed over their weapons. They all got medals. We might as well treat every SAF regular for signing up as a hero.

http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/s-r-nathan-was-cool-calm-crisis-leader'S R Nathan was a cool, calm crisis leader'

LEADER: S R Nathan was the Director of Security and Intelligence Division in 1974.

It was a fiery initiation.

Four foreign terrorists had attacked the Shell oil refinery complex at Pulau Bukom on Jan 31 and later hijacked the ferryboat Laju, taking its five crew members hostage.

Former Commissioner of Police Tee Tua Ba (inset), 74, was then 31 and the newly-appointed officer-in-charge of the Marine Police. Mr Nathan was then the Director of Security and Intelligence Division. He died peacefully yesterday at Singapore General Hospital. He was 92.

Singapore's former president S R Nathan dies
Photo Source: tabla!, The Straits Times, The New Paper

"I was then a young commander, reporting directly to Mr Nathan, who had been assigned to take charge of the crisis at Marine Police Headquarters," Mr Tee told The New Paper.

The men were armed with sub-machine guns and explosives.

After they failed to blow up the oil tanks, the group - two members of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine and two members of the Japanese Red Army - hijacked the Laju ferry at the Bukom jetty and held the crew hostage.

After several days of tense negotiations, involving the governments of Singapore and Japan, the hijackers agreed to release the hostages in exchange for a party of guarantors to ensure their safe passage out of the Republic.

Ministers, ex-colleagues and members of the public pay respects to S R Nathan
Photo Source: The Straits Times

1 of 19

Mr Nathan, then 49, led the 13 guarantors, which consisted of four commandos and eight other government officials, including Mr Tee. The four terrorists boarded a specially-arranged Japan Airlines aircraft with the guarantors, and left for Kuwait.

"Mr Nathan was calm, cool and clear-headed throughout the crisis. He understood the dynamics of the crisis as it unfolded, as well as the demands and pressures confronting me as commander on the ground," he told TNP.

"A firm believer and practitioner of empowerment - especially when there were no precedents or guidelines - Mr Nathan did not micro-manage.

"Instead, he was an enlightened crisis leader and gave me a lot of leeway to take initiative and exercise judgment as the commander on the ground.

"He was always prepared to listen to views, to assessments and to recommendations before finalising any plan of action," Mr Tee added.

Singapore leaders visit S R Nathan in hospital
Photo Source: The Straits Times

1 of 14

"Mr Nathan, I learnt later during the crisis, was assigned by the PMO (Prime Minister's Office) to take charge of the Laju hijacking and hostage situation.
"Yet, despite my young age and his seniority, he put me very much at ease when working throughout the crisis," Mr Tee said.

He also felt that apart from being an effective crisis leader, Mr Nathan was "a man of courage".

"He knew the ruthlessness and propensity of the terrorists...

"He was fully aware of the danger that would await us in Kuwait where we agreed to hand over the four terrorists to their comrades who had captured the Japanese Embassy and had held several officials hostage.

on SPH Brightcove

SAFE PASSAGE

"Yet, he agreed to lead the Singapore team to ensure safe passage for the four surrendered terrorists.

"Again, upon landing in Kuwait, Mr Nathan used his wit and negotiation skills to convince the Kuwaiti authorities to let the Singapore team disembark safely and board another plane for their homeward journey."

Mr Tee got the opportunity to work with Mr Nathan again years later when he was made Chairman of Singapore Red Cross. As the President then, Mr Nathan was its patron.

"Mr Nathan was always very supportive and took a keen interest in all our charity activities and projects. At his age, it was amazing to witness the pace and intensity with which he drove himself in carrying out his Presidential duties," Mr Tee said.

- See more at: http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/s-r-nathan-was-cool-calm-crisis-leader#sthash.UziFNIIn.dpuf

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your description of him as the "make-believe hero" is probably the best.

I have no idea why and what made the establishment and the press to make him a hero of sorts. I am aware that in SID they never actually accomplished anything significant. In fact their Malaysian counterparts as late as the 1990s compromised SAF personnel including a ranking individual and PA to the chief.

I think one could conclude that he wanted to be accepted by the people as their much loved President. He would every week be at the East Park in the mornings to meet and greet people. Ironically his minders were not aware the spot he always goes to is where the mineral water bottle holding gays gather. He also took up Mandarin in his first year and told the public this but it did not amount to much. His grand kids went to SAP schools, another LKY trait.

240816_swnathan24.jpg