• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Fiat Doblo crank start issue

kkbutterfly

Alfrescian
Loyal
my father has a fiat doblo 1.3 van.
month ago..the engine just failed to crank.
after trying a few times, it fired off.
some time it doesn't work.you wait 5-10 mins and repeat the same process, it fired off again.
it happened very often.
I called this term intermittent. very hard to traced the problem.
in engineering we know intermittent cause a lot of wrong diagnoses and cause a fortune.

workshop A replaced a new starter.
workshop b replaced a new battery.
workshop C replaced a new glow plug.
workshop D suspected is the master key code cannot communicate with the ECU
workshop E replaced the injector pumps
workshop F say it might be oil filter clog and replaced
another authorize fiat workshop plug in the code reader..say no error code detected.

the problems went away for 2 months.
yesterday it resurfaced again.
cannot start.30 min go back again.can start. 4 times.
today it went completely dead.
can crank but failed to fired off.
the security key logo stay on (not blinking).
try spare key also cannot.
make a call to tuft city car key maker if the security feature can bypass permantely ..lau jiao say the key miroc chip have no issue..changing key wont help.unless the security key logo is flashing..then is key problem.

any brother can help?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Your father is an idiot to buy a Fiat and you're equally to blame for being complicit in the purchase by not helping out with a bit or research.

Fiats are the most unreliable pieces of shit on the face of this earth.

Even if your dad's van is patched up today it will be break down again next week, the week after and pretty much every week for as long as that sorry vehicle exists.

My advice is for dad to cut his losses and scrap that pile of junk.

2015%20VDS%20Slide1_0.jpg

kkbutterfly

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your father is an idiot to buy a Fiat and you're equally to blame for being complicit in the purchase by not helping out with a bit or research.

Fiats are the most unreliable pieces of shit on the face of this earth.

Even if your dad's van is patched up today it will be break down again next week, the week after and pretty much every week for as long as that sorry vehicle exists.

My advice is for dad to cut his losses and scrap that pile of junk.

2015%20VDS%20Slide1_0.jpg

because at that time..the coe plus the van is very cheap.cost only $28K.
Renault has lot of issue.so he never take.
if he scrap now, and get a new van with COE, it would easlily cost $130k

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
because at that time..the coe plus the van is very cheap.cost only $28K.
Renault has lot of issue.so he never take.

Of course it's cheap. It's junk. Junk is always cheap.

However it's actually more expensive once you realise that keeping it going is a bottomless pit. The amount your dad is going to spend on repairs will end up costing more than the initial purchase price of the vehicle.

NEVER by anything Continental. Stick to the tried, true and tested Jap stuff.

Sell it asap and pass the problem on to someone else.

Tell your dad to get a Toyota Liteace van. A 20 year old Toyota is more reliable than a brand new Fiat.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
month ago..the engine just failed to crank.
after trying a few times, it fired off.
some time it doesn't work.you wait 5-10 mins and repeat the same process, it fired off again.
it happened very often.
I called this term intermittent. very hard to traced the problem.
in engineering we know intermittent cause a lot of wrong diagnoses and cause a fortune.

workshop A replaced a new starter.
workshop b replaced a new battery.
workshop C replaced a new glow plug.
workshop D suspected is the master key code cannot communicate with the ECU
workshop E replaced the injector pumps
workshop F say it might be oil filter clog and replaced
another authorize fiat workshop plug in the code reader..say no error code detected.

the problems went away for 2 months.
yesterday it resurfaced again.
cannot start.30 min go back again.can start. 4 times.
today it went completely dead.
can crank but failed to fired off.
the security key logo stay on (not blinking).
try spare key also cannot.
make a call to tuft city car key maker if the security feature can bypass permantely ..lau jiao say the key miroc chip have no issue..changing key wont help.unless the security key logo is flashing..then is key problem.

any brother can help?

Always mention the model year of the vehicle when u come here and ask questions. Don't be a moron. How to give u advice when no one knows the year. Is it a diesel engine, you mention glow plugs.

Last edited:

kkbutterfly

Alfrescian
Loyal
Always mention the model year of the vehicle when u come here and ask questions. Don't be a moron. How to give u advice when no one knows the year. Is it a diesel engine, you mention glow plugs.

yes.diseal engine
glow plug because continental car ma.design for cold weather

kkbutterfly

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course it's cheap. It's junk. Junk is always cheap.

However it's actually more expensive once you realise that keeping it going is a bottomless pit. The amount your dad is going to spend on repairs will end up costing more than the initial purchase price of the vehicle.

NEVER by anything Continental. Stick to the tried, true and tested Jap stuff.

Sell it asap and pass the problem on to someone else.

Tell your dad to get a Toyota Liteace van. A 20 year old Toyota is more reliable than a brand new Fiat.

yes.is true.
my dad friend drive a Toyota lite ace..
tested, abused and bullied. need no repair except battery change.
but it is no longer manufactured in market.
those who own it will not let go this treasure.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
check solenoid to see if it engages the pinion and the pinion the flywheel, i.e. if you hear the starter motor spinning but vehicle cannot get cranked. it happened to me while i was driving a fiat in italy. tough to figure it out until every step of the way is checked and tested. and then finally, the f*cking solenoid.

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
check solenoid to see if it engages the pinion and the pinion the flywheel, i.e. if you hear the starter motor spinning but vehicle cannot get cranked. it happened to me while i was driving a fiat in italy. tough to figure it out until every step of the way is checked and tested. and then finally, the f*cking solenoid.

That is not the problem. He already mentioned the mechanic replaced the starter.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
if you hear clicking sound from the solenoid, means it is working. Solenoid is to close the circuit so that electricity flows to make the pinion gear spin, and shoot out to engage the flywheel and make the flywheel spin, thus rotatimg the crankshaft to move the pistons for compression in the diesel ignition.

If starter spin, but pinion don't shoot out, it could be your starter is getting dirty inside. Sometimes a dirty starter don't spin even the soleniod is ok...click click. Use the wooden handle of a hammer to tap tap the starter to loosen the dirt clogs.

Anyway, Ts father bought a FIAT, you should "Fuck Italian Ass Throughly"........they don't earn this reputation for nothing.

Check click click for solanoid, if everytime click click when you turn ignition, then the starter motor prob. If solenoid sometimes can, sometimes cannot, then change solenoid first, then get an elec to test the electrical circuit for the ignition. Sometimes a bad battery can also cause you intermitten problems. Just go car work shop, swap a battery to test.

If ECM problem, then good luck, means the whole system buay kan.

kkbutterfly

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sometimes new starter may have quality issue also, depending on oem, original, recon...etc. or pure quality issue

already replaced twice. one new.
one for testing purpose.

same for battery.
one new.
one for testing purpose.

same for key.
another spare unused key

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
all mechanics r right. your next step is to replace all the spark plugs n the plug cable. but this is not the failsafe solution.

after cranking, the engine valve will start to compress oil, if it is done 1/2 way the valve will be flooded and it will not start properly.

the spark plug must deliver and not die in the process. the problem will persist. choose the right plug with right length.

use fuel injector cleaners as well.

the next big step is the fuel injector.

kkbutterfly

Alfrescian
Loyal
if you hear clicking sound from the solenoid, means it is working. Solenoid is to close the circuit so that electricity flows to make the pinion gear spin, and shoot out to engage the flywheel and make the flywheel spin, thus rotatimg the crankshaft to move the pistons for compression in the diesel ignition.

If starter spin, but pinion don't shoot out, it could be your starter is getting dirty inside. Sometimes a dirty starter don't spin even the soleniod is ok...click click. Use the wooden handle of a hammer to tap tap the starter to loosen the dirt clogs.

Anyway, Ts father bought a FIAT, you should "Fuck Italian Ass Throughly"........they don't earn this reputation for nothing.

Check click click for solanoid, if everytime click click when you turn ignition, then the starter motor prob. If solenoid sometimes can, sometimes cannot, then change solenoid first, then get an elec to test the electrical circuit for the ignition. Sometimes a bad battery can also cause you intermitten problems. Just go car work shop, swap a battery to test.

If ECM problem, then good luck, means the whole system buay kan.

one thing this fiat..driving inside is very silent. look also outstanding(at that time of manufactured)
controlling also responsive for it price.

mechanics say this Fiat not suitable for hot Singapore as it is designed for cold country.
maybe heat up too much in the compartment that why parts..worn out faster

kkbutterfly

Alfrescian
Loyal
all mechanics r right. your next step is to replace all the spark plugs n the plug cable. but this is not the failsafe solution.

after cranking, the engine valve will start to compress oil, if it is done 1/2 way the valve will be flooded and it will not start properly.

the spark plug must deliver and not die in the process. the problem will persist. choose the right plug with right length.

use fuel injector cleaners as well.

the next big step is the fuel injector.

wah.like that is like guessing and replacing the entire bonnet with new parts

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
like ive said, the cranking part is setlled, if it cannot continue, problem is still oil delivery. the farked up fiat has issue of high compression rail. it could be a faulty pressure sensor, fuel sensor.

the problem is isolated somewhere there.