• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious After SGH, another case of nurses don't follow protocols at CCK polyclinic. Huat ah!

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: After SGH, another case of nurses don't follow protocols at CCK polyclinic. Huat

FUCK IT! It is Malaysian Nurses!!

jw5

Loyal
Re: After SGH, another case of nurses don't follow protocols at CCK polyclinic. Huat

Really? Not pinoy like the one shaking leg at SGH A&E temperature counter?

Is this nurse shaking leg when there are people waiting for their temperature to be taken or when there is nobody waiting? :confused:

Ambulance

Alfrescian
Loyal

halo auntie nah si wah polyclinic kwa jiu hu loh goon boh ho say kee jiu hu kwa boh ho say wu hwa si boh

Hello ah pek I spore income taxpayer until now still paying tax OK. I complain polyclinic is my right . Jiu hu govt hospital I don't go and even if anything wrong is also not for me to say Ok. Last time I explain to you on this OK. Come and disturb me on jiu hu again I will send my greetings to your darlings. I don't owe you explanation about jiuhu fuck off.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

Is this nurse shaking leg when there are people waiting for their temperature to be taken or when there is nobody waiting? :confused:

There was a queue waiting to take temperature and shaking leg is his mannerism literally. Very unprofessional looking. I recall he lost his thermometer too and have to go get another one from somewhere else. From what I heard the local nurse asking him this is not the first time he lost his thermometer and his answer was it was just there (on the table) a few minutes ago. Anyway i find his working attitude very flippant.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

halo auntie nah si wah polyclinic kwa jiu hu loh goon boh ho say kee jiu hu kwa boh ho say wu hwa si boh

Ah pek how many times I must tell you I never step into jiu hu govt hospital? Only their private hospital I went before OK. Wu wah Bo wah ownself go find out. Your darlings familiar with jiuhu too jln Wong ah fook.

jw5

Loyal

There was a queue waiting to take temperature and shaking leg is his mannerism literally. Very unprofessional looking. I recall he lost his thermometer too and have to go get another one from somewhere else. From what I heard the local nurse asking him this is not the first time he lost his thermometer and his answer was it was just there (on the table) a few minutes ago. Anyway i find his working attitude very flippant.

Ahhhhhhhh, so he was literally shaking his leg. Agree that plus losing his thermometer is very flippant. It's like a cashier losing his cash register. :biggrin:

Ambulance

Alfrescian
Loyal

halo auntie jiu hu kow gah wah tng polyclinic kwa ah si kwa jiu hu loh goon ah ho

Ah pek how many times I must tell you I never step into jiu hu govt hospital? Only their private hospital I went before OK. Wu wah Bo wah ownself go find out. Your darlings familiar with jiuhu too jln Wong ah fook.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ahhhhhhhh, so he was literally shaking his leg. Agree that plus losing his thermometer is very flippant. It's like a cashier losing his cash register. :biggrin:

And those thermometer is not the one tube one but the expensive digital ear type that is quite big piece to be lost from infront of him like that.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

halo auntie jiu hu kow gah wah tng polyclinic kwa ah si kwa jiu hu loh goon ah ho

This bastard is insulting me a dog. Ok sinkie traitor dog with your prostitute dog family fuck off to Pakistan.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

KNNBCCB bastard scumbag give you respect call you ah pek and get back insult of a dog. KNNBCCB sinkie traitor dog LJ lang! Coward using clone to attack. Learn from me all vulgarities upfront no need to hide no need to pretend KNNBCCB LJ Lang fuck you!

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

Hi ginfreely,

Remember our previous exchanges where I talked about those who complain generally get what they want in the end? Don't get what you want complain more. If go to the newspapers sure get what you want. This is one example.

Before we talk about rabies, let's review what constitutes medical malpractice.

Medical malpractice is professional negligence by act or omission by a health care provider in which the treatment provided falls below the accepted standard of practice in the medical community and causes injury or death to the patient, with most cases involving medical error.

The important aspect of malpractice is whether the act or ommision which constitues negligence causes injury or death. Many cases of errors do not cause harm to the patient and hence would not be successfully tried in court.

A complaint is a complaint and it "looks bad" from a service point of view. Just because the organization apologizes and gives the customer what they want doesn't always mean the company was in the wrong. They just want to issue resolved.

Back to rabies. I'll tell you a funny thing. Last month I saw 2 Chinese patients who came in with dog bites. Said they were bitten by dog while walking. Small toy dogs??? They claimed that is was unprovoked???? I have 3 toy dogs myself and they would not bother biting anyone. Anyway in both cases the dog owner showed the patient their dog's rabies vaccination certificates. But these PRC Chinese were told by their friend from China that if bitten by dog MUST get rabies vaccine!

So they came to me. I asked whether the dogs were rabid and crazy? They said yes! But I said the dogs were vaccinated so the risk of the dogs having rabies is extremely low. I said I will give you tetanus shot and some antibiotics. Their "bites" were really just scratches on their hands. They insisted that they must have rabies shots! I said sorry I do not have rabies shots you have to go to the ED then. In my referral letter to ED I explained that I had given the patients advice but they insisted on rabies shots based on their experience in China.

Remember what I said about third world country patients deserve third world country doctors? Well here's one example. So much hoo-ha over a dog bite and talking about rabies vaccines. Is Singapore third world or first world?

Alright. Now let's establish what is the standard of care in a case of a patient bitten by a dog and concerned about possible rabies transmission.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/...uidance/gd_mng_suspected_rabies_exposures.pdf

http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/medical_care/index.html

For a quick summary go to page 9 of the 18 page guidance document from Ontario Health.

I remember the assessment bit for rabies because it was a very common question in the CCFP exams for Family doctors in Canada. First we ask what animal. Wild? Domestic? What circumstances? Unprovoked? Signs of the animal being rabid (ie kee siao). Is the owner of the animal contactable? Certificates showing animal was vaccinated? Nature of the injuries. Deep penetrating wounds are more likely to result in transmission than superficial ones. In the instance where there is evidence of valid up to date vaccination in a domestic animal the risk is virtually ZERO. In all other cases the next step is to observe the animal for signs of rabies. If the animal is suspected to be rabid, they put down the animal and run tests on its brain tissue. More so for epidemiology studies. Of course once the animal is suspected rabid we treat the patient ASAP. Rabies IgG (basically antibodies against rabies) is very expensive. Something like one thousand per vial and it takes several vials for an adult. The vaccine only has effect for 2 years. Rabies in urban areas is also extremely rare given the monitoring by environment and wildlife. Hence it is not practical nor a good use of funds to vaccinate humans every 2 years for something so rare. Having said that, rabies is almost invariably fatal. So what we have is a very rare disease, but extremely deadly. It is transmitted from one rabid animal to another but invariably results in death of the infected. Think Zombies but the Zombies die after 10 days.

Let's go back to this case involving Madam Koh. She listed other mistakes as a way to "magnify" the problem. Cholesterol tests......maybe she didn't need it cos the doctor did not feel she needed it. Patients are charged a flat fee for blood tests as far as I know. So the bill did not change whether they added Lipid panel or not. Make noise sure can do it. And it is common practice to call the lab to add it on to the battery if the blood had been drawn into a plain tube for other tests eg Electrolytes and Creatinine. Second one was about forms.....aiyah.....admin errors happen very commonly lah.

Now about the "rabies" case. First, Madam Koh did not have rabies lah. Otherwise she would be DEAD by now. Secondly the report says she was bitten by a dog. What dog? Whose dog? Where? Wild dog? Stray dog? These are important details to report if you want to be a responsible journalist to show whether there was any error in the assessment. Salma Khalik is being irresponsible as a "Health Correspondent". I have always felt she was nothing but a rabble rouser and because doctors are the nicest professionals around and we never bite she gets away with all her crap.

To ginbitchy, you do not understand the protocols and decision making process in administering rabies IgG. Madam Koh was bitten by a dog yes, but it does not mean she NEEDED a rabies vaccine! And on hindsight which is 20/20 we know she definitely DID NOT HAVE RABIES AND DID NOT NEED THE VACCINE. In fact if she was given the vaccine as per your recommendation, that itself would have been a case of medical error as well. (see guidelines on when to administer rabies PEP)

Now the patient was probably seen at the OPD and advised to have a tetanus shot. She got a Typhoid vaccine instead. Note that it was the polyclinic itself that recognized the error and then informed the patient and apologized. If the OPD did not say anything Madam Koh would not know about this error at all. I actually think NHGP should be acknowledged for being honest and truthful and having the patient's best interest above all else. Even risking this bad publicity.

What is a typhoid vaccine? http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/typhoid/

Typhoid vaccines protect you from Salmonella Typhi. A bacterial infection that causes bloody diarrhea and other complications. It is passed through contaminated food (by feces). It is not common in developed countries. We recommend taking it if patients are traveling to areas that are endemic or are going backpacking in the wild. In Singapore all food handlers have to be immunized with Typherix (typhoid vaccine) injection into muscle every 3 years. There is another vaccine called Vivotif which is taken orally on days 1, 3, 5, 7. Most clinics I know have stopped giving the oral form because patients could be unreliable and not take their doses. Whereas with the shot, the nurse or doctor injects and that's it.

Ok so Madam Koh got a Typhoid vaccine instead of a Tetanus vaccine. NHGP called her back probably to tell her the mistake and that they would need to give her a Tetanus shot because she did not receive it. Note that NHGP called her back THE NEXT DAY. Very fast.

Would the fact that Madam Koh got a Typhoid vaccine constitute medical malpractice? No. We give the shot to lots of people. All the waiters and waitresses you see at restaurants have had it. Literally thousands. Very safe. If anything....free vaccine, extra protection for travel next 3 years! Yay!

Would the fact that Madam Koh did not receive a tetanus shot constitute medical malpractice? Well if she got tetanus within the few hours between the mistake and her finally getting her shot then perhaps yes. But note that all Singaporeans have had their immunizations with Tetanus. We generally recommend a booster every 10 years. Or in any possible contaminated injury then and the last immunization date is unsure then we give another. No harm getting more. It doesn't sound like the wound was particularly serious or contaminated otherwise she would have been sent to the ED for toilet and suture at the very least and maybe intravenous antibiotics. So the likelihood is extremely low. On hindsight, there is no mention of any medical complications. So there you go, the answer is no medical malpractice as the patient was not harmed.

Now note here that in the report it states that Madam Koh DID NOT SUBSEQUENTLY GET A TETANUS JAB. Now I am 100% sure this was not on the advice of the health care professionals. It was the typical ngiau Singaporean mentality want to complain and angry and want blood and want dunno what, want nurse to be struck off and never work as nurse kind of complaint and demand to the point the patient would REFUSE proper medical management. Ginfreely, trust me this happens all the time. Well Madam Koh has a right to refuse treatment. But she would have to take responsibility for her choices as well.

Read the rest of the report.

There was an error. Errors occur very frequently everywhere in every industry. In this case I would say it is a serious error but not a particularly dangerous one and one that would not have led to medical malpractice.

Madam Koh just wanted to make a fuss of this. NHGP investigated and found no true lapses in care resulting in malpractice. Madam Koh requested for a refund. They gave it to her but not a full one. Why? Because I am pretty sure this Madam Koh wanted COMPENSATION. Would probably have said things like want to sue lah, bring to court lah, say things like wait I got the typhoid shot then I died how? How can you give me wrong vaccine? SOOOOO DANGEROUS!!!! Wait I die how? I got little kids you know? I die then who take care of them? How you all be doctor and nurse one? She can hire a lawyer go to court and waste all her money. The Medical Malpractice Insurance people know the case is totally defensible. NHGP also knows it.

Sigh. Doctors and nurses are human also. Humans make mistakes. NHG did not cover this up. Kudos to them. They called the patient the next day and offered to give her the right injection and probably spent a good deal of time explaining it all to her. But she goes to the press. And this SENIOR HEALTH CORRESPONDENT has no story better to report on but this type of crap. There are better stories to report on just that she would step on bigger shots' toes.

Singaporeans are 3rd world country people with 3rd world country mentality. The press is also the same.

I think Singaporeans just too angry and unhappy with life too much so every thing don't go right they make a MOUNTAIN of it. And it doesn't help that the more you curse and swear and make a scene the more likely the company or restaurant or whatever will bend over to let you screw their backside even more.

KPKB enough you will at least get refund. Remember that ginfreely.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi nayr69sg,

Wow thanks for your very detailed advice. Now then I know rabies is deadly! My barbarian MALAYSIAN CHINESE neighbour once let his stupid dog out without a leash and it came running to me. He just stood there making no attempt to stop it , must be wanting the dog to bite me. So damn evil mudlander! Luckily I stared at the stupid barking dog and it stopped near me. My barbarian MALAYSIAN CHINESE neighbours are cheapskate that did not even licence their 5 or 6 dogs, confirm no anti rabies shots for their dogs.

Oh back to the Mdm Koh, I also don't understand why she don't take the tetanus shot. If me, I very kia si will surely take it as precaution LOL. But I think the polyclinic is in the wrong, they should explain the deadly consequence and make her take the tetanus shot. I think she was not aware of the deadliness of the disease like me. They should not just walk away and leave the patient to have a chance of dying.

This typhoid vaccine error looks like it's considered lucky for the clinic. But it could have been something else that caused problems so the polyclinic nurses are really fucked up not to check before the jab. But I see what you mean in this case cannot claim compensation even though there is negligence as there is no injury or death caused by this mistake. Right? Mental anguish cannot consider?

Yes I remember your advice about complaint to clinic and cc health minister and threaten to strike off doctor. But looks like not easy to get waiver leh. So much mistake only waiver of vaccine. Must go to newspaper then can get waiver of the consultation fees $12.60. LOL

Btw did you see the recent SMC two complaint cases took a few years to come to conclusion? Is that the normal standard for SMC reviews of negligence cases? Looks like doctors are very protected in Spore and takes long time for SMC to review any medical complaints.

Last edited:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

Ginfreely, I already explained the risks of rabies is very low lah. What deadly? Risk of tetanus also very low lah.

You neighbor dog after tried to attack you died a week later or not? If the dogs still around means they got no rabies lah. Although Malaysia has lost its rabies free status as they had an outbreak of rabies in 2015. But aiyah I dunno much about Malaysia lah. You Singaporean or Malaysian?

Back to Singapore.....
http://www.ava.gov.sg/files/avavision/issue4_2015/rabies_free.html

Singapore has been rabies free since 1953! That means no animal got rabies even much less transmit to humans. You say risk of getting bitten by dog in Singapore risk of rabies high or not?

https://www.ttsh.com.sg/patient-guide/medical-departments/page.aspx?id=831

Even TTSH say only in you got possible exposure in a rabies-enzootic country ie that country got many cases of rabies.

http://apps.who.int/immunization_monitoring/globalsummary/timeseries/tsincidencettetanus.html

As for tetanus also very rare in Singapore. Look at the above WHO stats Singapore got only cases in 1999 (5), 1988(5), 1984(1), 1983(3), 1982(1). We are talking 14 cases since 1980 over a 36 year period. And ZERO cases since the turn of the century. You say rare or not? To be honest I have personally never seen a case of tetanus or rabies in my entire medical training and career spanning the last 33 years! Of course also no experience in treating the disease either.

Don't be so alarmist talk about so dangerous will die and all that. To be frank sometimes we doctors are over careful if anything.

Legal proceedings usually take time to do a proper job. That is why there are the courts and jury etc. You come to the west and see how long these lawsuits and investigations take. Only Singapore fast fast cos everything is fixed.

Singaporeans don't trust their doctors because of the money that changes hands lah. Patients think they are king cos they pay. Doctors kowtow to customers to make money. Do whatever patients want cos they are paying mah. This type of culture is bad for medicine. Patient don't trust doctor. Doctor don't trust patient either.

Total breakdown of the Sick Role. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sick_role

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

Oh I must have misunderstood then. You were talking about the dogs having anti rabies vaccination certificate etc so considered safe which I am sure my cheapskate mudlander neighbours never do for their dogs. But their dogs were around never died after one week so not rabid OK. I am Singaporean lah just have a stupid house in JB with evil mudlander neighbours.

I think you misunderstood about Sporean patients. Many trust and have alot of respect for their doctors. Especially the elderly low income patients like my late father, my family and myself all trust the doctors. But on hindsight like my father case, I believe his diagnosis was delayed and not done properly with recommendation of surgery at late stage but I was young then and probably the medical not that advanced. But somehow LHL still can get cured even back then.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

I think you misunderstood about Sporean patients. Many trust and have alot of respect for their doctors. Especially the elderly low income patients like my late father, my family and myself all trust the doctors. But on hindsight like my father case, I believe his diagnosis was delayed and not done properly with recommendation of surgery at late stage but I was young then and probably the medical not that advanced. But somehow LHL still can get cured even back then.

Nope I totally understand you Singaporean patients. When asked you will say yeah respect doctor and all that jazz. But as you can see on your "hindsight" you don't trust them.

In Singapore because there is this stupid two tiered system, people think that if you are big shot enough, if you are rich enough can cure cancer lah cure everything lah. Sorry doesn't work like that.

Anyway the Singapore system does not help develop and maintain trust between doctors and patient and the public. It is all about money and face.

I am very careful with patients from Asia because they are so used to this rich people get better care poor people get poor care nonsense.

So I practice defensive. In my mind I do whatever is necessary and beyond. Kiasu kiasee. Make sure all bases covered no stone unturned. Want to complain also nothing to complain. In Singapore very hard to practice like that cos later on patient will say wah want to do Ultrasound? Bone scan? MRI? Refer specialist? I got no money lah.......

Ginbitchy, if you kena dogbite next time, please go to TTSH and INSIST on getting rabies PEP and pay for it. Let me know how much it cost you ok?

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

Nope I totally understand you Singaporean patients. When asked you will say yeah respect doctor and all that jazz. But as you can see on your "hindsight" you don't trust them.

In Singapore because there is this stupid two tiered system, people think that if you are big shot enough, if you are rich enough can cure cancer lah cure everything lah. Sorry doesn't work like that.

Anyway the Singapore system does not help develop and maintain trust between doctors and patient and the public. It is all about money and face.

Yeah but it's not a matter of lack of trust to have this hindsight as we were given high hopes of this major surgery but my father's condition deteriorated and passed away just months after the surgery. And we were told after that his death was from another cancer that he originally had but was cured previously which was not the cancer he was operated on. So on hindsight the diagnosis is delayed and not done properly. They should have advised palliative care and not major surgery.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Ginfreely, I already explained the risks of rabies is very low lah. What deadly? Risk of tetanus also very low lah.

I thought that Singapore was certified rabies free and the risk was therefore close to zero.

I remember this because I could ship canines from singapore directly to NZ without the need for quarantine or evidence of a rabies vaccination.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

I thought that Singapore was certified rabies free and the risk was therefore close to zero.

I remember this because I could ship canines from singapore directly to NZ without the need for quarantine or evidence of a rabies vaccination.

Exactly, Sam. Yet you have all these ignorant Singaporeans who talk like they are expert infectious disease specialists saying that if you get bitten by a dog (like anywhere in the world) you should get a rabies shot! Oh well. That's what you get in Singapore. Doctors explain they probably don't trust them because of some "hindsight" thing that happened to a friend or a family member.