• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat NUS orientation and ragging

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many of you must have read various press reports and articles over the last 2 weeks or so. I don't think many understand what is going on. Firstly the vast majority of new students do not bother to attend these camps as they are voluntary. Only a small portion do and they voluntarily register. The camp is not like going to Mt Ophir or Kota Tinggi waterfall for a day. Its to break down social inhibitions and to bring out the extrovert nature in many of us. Its common knowledge that those who handle themselves better in these camps are those going into professionals courses such as law as they tend to be more confident and outgoing.

The non-voluntary sessions are all in halls of residence. All local scholars are required by PSC to stay in halls of residence for their first year and guess what - because of the orientation where the ragging is central. The idea is that our local kids can hold their own in the outside world when they leave. None of the reports thus far had anything on the halls of residence.

Unlike the guys who have done NS, the girls initially do feel uncomfortable. They will eventually come around. By the way the team that normally handles these orientations are usually the high performers in their faculty. Pointless taking those who are struggling in their academic studies as they would be poor role models.

The worst ragging is in King Edward the VII hall which is for the Medical faculty. Press wrote about passing biscuits from mouth to mouth. Try passing a life frog from mouth to mouth.

piggyheadshaker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many of you must have read various press reports and articles over the last 2 weeks or so. I don't think many understand what is going on. Firstly the vast majority of new students do not bother to attend these camps as they are voluntary. Only a small portion do and they voluntarily register. The camp is not like going to Mt Ophir or Kota Tinggi waterfall for a day. Its to break down social inhibitions and to bring out the extrovert nature in many of us. Its common knowledge that those who handle themselves better in these camps are those going into professionals courses such as law as they tend to be more confident and outgoing.

The non-voluntary sessions are all in halls of residence. All local scholars are required by PSC to stay in halls of residence for their first year and guess what - because of the orientation where the ragging is central. The idea is that our local kids can hold their own in the outside world when they leave. None of the reports thus far had anything on the halls of residence.

Unlike the guys who have done NS, the girls initially do feel uncomfortable. They will eventually come around. By the way the team that normally handles these orientations are usually the high performers in their faculty. Pointless taking those who are struggling in their academic studies as they would be poor role models.

The worst ragging is in King Edward the VII hall which is for the Medical faculty. Press wrote about passing biscuits from mouth to mouth. Try passing a life frog from mouth to mouth.

Why the need to mention that many don't understand what is going on? I am sure many know the purpose of the games and ragging the reason why it got banned is because of the highly sexualised and hence inappropriate turn these games were taking. This is something you don't understand.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not sure about the orientation stuff reported. Heard about it but Never joined these activities.

But, hell, a guy has to has very strong stamina to go through the hostel rooms from one end to the other of the block. Who said the girls are inhibited? Doubts? Just drop by all the hostel blocks during mid year vacation period and you find lots of activities inside each room!

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Another vagina-related issues, problems and possible crimes.. Manginas are really that stupid.

Victory2016

Alfrescian
Loyal
Touch a Muslim girl and you can start a riot. These students obviously have not experienced what it feels to be in a Race Riot......

JulyRiot.jpg

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why the need to mention that many don't understand what is going on? I am sure many know the purpose of the games and ragging the reason why it got banned is because of the highly sexualised and hence inappropriate turn these games were taking. This is something you don't understand.

Yea very highly inappropriate and not necessary. I remember joining two orientation camps for both hostel and non hostel and they were all very fun and not like that.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The only thing that got banned was the voluntary one week camp. The orientation in the hall of residence is going on full steam ahead. The latter is the tough shit, not the voluntary camp.

Those who are soft and can't take it leave and post videos and make comments online. Its no different when you do NS. Some can't take it - go see doctor, call father, mother, go see MP. This is what I meant by many not understanding or basically clueless and really think that reading the Singapore press they have the answers.

Why you think PSC insists all local scholars stay in the halls of residence in the first year? Surely not to watch the scenery. If Mahathir when he was in King Edward Hall during his medical studies got ragged and he wrote about it.

Strawberry generation as mentioned by THBF is absolutely true for some.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The only thing that got banned was the voluntary one week camp. The orientation in the hall of residence is going on full steam ahead. The latter is the tough shit, not the voluntary camp.

Those who are soft and can't take it leave and post videos and make comments online. Its no different when you do NS. Some can't take it - go see doctor, call father, mother, go see MP. This is what I meant by many not understanding or basically clueless and really think that reading the Singapore press they have the answers.

Why you think PSC insists all local scholars stay in the halls of residence in the first year? Surely not to watch the scenery. If Mahathir when he was in King Edward Hall during his medical studies got ragged and he wrote about it.

The ragging in Aussie unis is far worse. My pal was force fed peanut butter till he puked. They also dunk people into basins of filthy water similar to the nus video. Something called trial by sewage

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
When I heard about a viral dunking video I thought what it was something serious. Turned out to be just ordinary dunking. These kids who complain won't last a day in a frat house in the US. Yes, and the infamous royal flush in a toilet bowl and a whole bunch of stuff.

Take the case of sikhs doing NS. They get hell the moment they stepped into BMT. But they are a proud race. Even if they want to complain, their parents won't allow them to. Their community is very clear about taking all that shit. They consider themselves as warrior class. Its all mental.

The ragging in Aussie unis is far worse. My pal was force fed peanut butter till he puked. They also dunk people into basins of filthy water similar to the nus video. Something called trial by sewage

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Your point? It is okay to encourage rape?

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Is ragging necessary in the first place? If ragging is not acceptable in the workplace, why is it acceptable in school?

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

This woman said she was in NUS orientation camp 20 years ago and only had wholesome fun. Sexualised activities to take advantage of females should not be encouraged.

Screenshot_2016-07-30-18-32-37_com.facebook.katana_1469875502094.jpg

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Your point? It is okay to encourage rape?

Yes, exactly my thought.

In SAF, after passing out and posted to the unit, the biggest nightmare is the mess orientation. In one incident, the guy in charge was a regular, a hopeless weakling trying to act tough. He had got ready, the worst activities to torture the new comers. The first was a welcoming drink, a concoction of what gabage you can think of. All threw out immediately after taking it. The CO, one of the toughest among the commando, calmly stood up and announced. Thank you, gentlemen that's it for the night, welcome to the mess. The organizer was shock as the game had not even started. Actually he was worried because he knew the CO had terminated his orientation programme.

Passing live frog using the mouth is ok so is dunking into shit pond. However, drinking shit water is not, so is enacting of rape. That CO was well known to be tough both physically and mentally. More importantly, he had good judgement of what is sending the wrong signal or harmful. It is usually weakings who likes to come out with lame activities and think that it tough and fun.

Last edited:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is ragging necessary in the first place? If ragging is not acceptable in the workplace, why is it acceptable in school?

Yes ragging is not necessary. We should not blindly follow USA or Australia bad practice. Last time my ex colleague who was posted to USA and Europe before told me they are more sexist there than Spore. So for people who are raised in Spore, we did not know even flipping hair fringe is considered seductive to them. So their standard may not be the best to follow in everything.