• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Temasek should hang up

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hay days over for telco industry, i have said this before and that was last year. finally, someone is selling their stake in starhub. this spells trouble ahead for temasek's hefty investment in singtel, starhub and M1. Telco industry is a sun setting industry, just look at hutchison whampoa and richard li's PCCW, all sheding blood.

A Qatari company just gave Singapore's state investor a solid clue about what to do with its outsize holdings of the island's telcos: sell, and run.Ooredoo QSC, the Doha-based phone carrier, is working with HSBC to find a buyer for its indirect stake of about 14 percent in Singapore's StarHub, Bloomberg News reported this week.

Temasek indirectly owns 42 percent of StarHub. On top of that, it directly controls 51 percent of rival SingTel. There's more. Temasek also holds 16 percent of Singapore rig-builder Keppel, which owns 19 percent of M1, the smallest of the city-state's three telcos. The three investments amount to direct and indirect ownership of almost S$38 billion ($28.1 billion) of market value, a huge exposure to a fading industry.

http://www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/art...-for-temasek-to-hang-up-on-singapore-s-telcos

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
dey hold sinkies by ze neck on telcos ... if dey no happy, dey juz suka-suka raise prices like transpot fare ... wat can sinkies do excep transferring moni in2 temasikz pockets? ...

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks to xenophobic sinkies, we are not getting more new subscribers to our telco services. I am sure the PAP should know what to do.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why TS says sunset industry?
True local market is saturated but it's not as if there's another new medium that would get make telco subscribers to quit and stop using telco services.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually,singtel is massive,70% of its massive 16 billion revenue and 4 billion profit comes from overseas.singtel owns major stakes in telcos in australia,indonesia,bangladesh and Philippines.with hundreds of millions of mobile users and growing 3g4g usuage.singtel is a true regional player,so stop playa hating,hater.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i am speaking nothing but the tooth, telcos have run out of steam, they can only rip off subscribers' money and lack of better ideas to value add to their services. i have worked in a telco start up before, i know how the business is like. it was good in the early years but now it's just slipping down. from 3G to 4G, it's just a matter of getting more money out of subscribers.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Telco is like license to print money.all my life ever since I was 12 I couldnt think of any business that suck more money than the telecoms,from the dialup bill to the internet bill.no upkeep required,they come ur house install a few equipment,flip a switch,turn on a line and suck money out of ur account for the next 2 years.now every household has one broadband line,three cellphone lines,maybe a cable line and some 3g 4g,sucking hundreds and hundreds of dollars every month.the richest guy in the world in 2013 was some guy who owned the mexican telecoms industry.

Last edited:

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Telco is like license to print money.all my life ever since I was 12 I couldnt think of any business that suck more money than the telecoms,from the dialup bill to the internet bill.no upkeep required,they come ur house install a few equipment,flip a switch,turn on a line and suck money out of ur account for the next 2 years.now every household has one broadband line,three cellphone lines,maybe a cable line and some 3g 4g,sucking hundreds and hundreds of dollars every month.the richest guy in the world in 2013 was some guy who owned the mexican telecoms industry.

look at the pricing of my republic telco, they are out there to compete and at a pricing far much cheaper than singtel. eventually, other telcos will start slashing their prices. do you think singtel will stay put with their obscene prices?:rolleyes:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
look at the pricing of my republic telco, they are out there to compete and at a pricing far much cheaper than singtel. eventually, other telcos will start slashing their prices. do you think singtel will stay put with their obscene prices?:rolleyes:

Unless my republic owns the infrastructure,I think singtelcan squeeze their balls anytime.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
i am speaking nothing but the tooth, telcos have run out of steam, they can only rip off subscribers' money and lack of better ideas to value add to their services. i have worked in a telco start up before, i know how the business is like. it was good in the early years but now it's just slipping down. from 3G to 4G, it's just a matter of getting more money out of subscribers.

Is there some way to get a malaysian mobile phone and use it in singapore? Is it cheaper? Most Malaysian mobile service provider have good coverage into Singapore. If u have a malaysian mobile phone and using it in singapore, calling a singapore number is considered an international call, right. But if singapore number calls your malaysian hand phone while it is in singapore, there is no charge. Also sms rate is the same whether u used it to sms a malaysian number or a singapore number. I am just wondering if this is a viable alternative, I am sick of the money I have to pay for my mobile phone.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Unless my republic owns the infrastructure,I think singtelcan squeeze their balls anytime.

my republic probably got their pipe from singtel at a wholesale price, package it and resell to consumers. I dun think for now, they are financially strong enough to own and maintain their own telco infrastructure. singtel do make from such deal but they will lose more when their subscribers quit in the long run.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is there some way to get a malaysian mobile phone and use it in singapore? Is it cheaper? Most Malaysian mobile service provider have good coverage into Singapore. If u have a malaysian mobile phone and using it in singapore, calling a singapore number is considered an international call, right. But if singapore number calls your malaysian hand phone while it is in singapore, there is no charge. Also sms rate is the same whether u used it to sms a malaysian number or a singapore number. I am just wondering if this is a viable alternative, I am sick of the money I have to pay for my mobile phone.

Do msia sims work in sg?

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

nowadays, it's cheaper to make data calls via whatsapp, why do you still want to use IDD anyway?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Already happening. In the past My Republic offered the cheapest rates for high speed connection. However M1 is now offering the cheapest rates.
Singtel hasn't adjusted their rates to stay competitive.

Maybe they are relying on offering bundles e.g. get a phone & fiber connection & IPTV channels:confused:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
.... I am just wondering if this is a viable alternative, I am sick of the money I have to pay for my mobile phone.

Using a handphone is an expensive habit in Spore. Fortunately for me I can make do with a PC/Mac with a fiber connection. If you sign up with M1's fiber connection, they'll give you a free internet phone number which allows one to make free local calls. Just get any Dect phone to connect to the hub thingy.

For my handphone I'm using a Singtel Pre-paid SIM card. Have kept my older post paid SIM card but I plan to terminate the service.
Just wanted to make sure that everyone I knew had my new telephone number before terminating the number.

When I'm overseas I use a cheaper local SIM card. I have 2 thai SIM cards which are activated for 12 months. Only had to top up 20baht/month. So for 240baht((under $10) my card is active for 12 months :smile:

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is there some way to get a malaysian mobile phone and use it in singapore? Is it cheaper?

There are hidden costs one of which is:

A little bird from the West whispered to me that people using Malaysian-registered SIM numbers in Sinkieland are monitored by Sinkie telcos which then pass on information to intelligence services when requested.

Your gabrament is very worried about the rise of Islamism (not just Islamist terrorism) in Malaysia and your Prime Ministar has been having sleepless nights since Brunei adopted Sharia as the law of the land with much success.

Moreover Corrupt Najib has been trying to shore up his political strength by being kawan-kawan with the main Islamist political party in Malaysia.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There are hidden costs one of which is:

A little bird from the West whispered to me that people using Malaysian-registered SIM numbers in Sinkieland are monitored by Sinkie telcos which then pass on information to intelligence services when requested.

Your gabrament is very worried about the rise of Islamism (not just Islamist terrorism) in Malaysia and your Prime Ministar has been having sleepless nights since Brunei adopted Sharia as the law of the land with much success.

Moreover Corrupt Najib has been trying to shore up his political strength by being kawan-kawan with the main Islamist political party in Malaysia.

Singtel has always recorded telephone calls. I remember a case when someone challenged a charge for a long distance call. Singtel played a recording of that call & it turned out to be the voice of his maid.

I don't know if they still do that but this is the PAP gov't we are talking about i.e. Big Brother

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i remember many years ago, UK virgin mobile set up shop in s'pore and left after a year, speak volume on their thought in monopolised sinkieland telco industry.