• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat The stationary flat Earth

Do you think the Earth is flat and stationary?

• I'm not sure...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

flatearther

Alfrescian
Loyal
Flatearth claims perspective and vanishing point and sun-set happens because sun is moving away from us but the sun never goes below the horizon based on flat earth model and perspective does not make things disappear, only makes them smaller a mid-range telescope should be able to restore the sun easily even if you are in the dark side when the spotlight of the flat earth’s sun moves far away from you afterall the sun is only 3000 miles high according to FE and diameter of earth is about 14 miles..anyone standing in the middle section of the dark side should be able to view the sun with a telescope easily..a simple geometry maths will tell you the viewing angle is about 20 degrees..
If as per flat earth claims we cant see the sun due to mountains and continents blocking our view(didn't know our earth was covered with Himalayas everywhere we looked and didn't know our continents as high as Himalayas) .if that's case then we would not have problems seeing the flat earth’s sun when we are flying-for example anyone flying out of Sydney now at about 9 pm 30000 feet-6 miles high towards Singapore would have a very good viewing point catching a glimpse of the 20 mile diameter bright sun rise in Rio (even with naked eyes )which is 3000 miles up at probably 6000 miles away…but that's is not happening as no one has ever claimed they saw the sun with naked eyes or a telescope coz the flat earth model fails…anyone who has flown over a big city like new York or los Angeles should know you will able to see the city lights even if your 6k miles high in the sky..
Your understanding of perspective is wrong, I'm afraid. :o

Before I explain (and the explanation happens to be quite simple, because perspective is a scientific law, whether you agree with it or not), I would like to point out two typos of yours, i.e. the diameter of the flat Earth is obviously not "14 miles", but well over 14K miles; secondly, the aeroplane is 6 miles high (which you typed correctly the first time), not "6k miles" high (the typo for the second time you typed it).

Also, the straight-line distance between Sydney and Rio (on a flat Earth, of course), just like between Sydney and Santiago, is well over 12,000 miles, at least double and not, "6000 miles":

Sydney to Los Angeles is already 7,500 miles:
airmilescalculator.com/distance/syd-to-lax
What more Sydney to Rio (once again, on a flat Earth, of course)?

Now for the explanation on perspective, i.e. when parallel lines converge towards a "vanishing point", the object located at that "vanishing point" literally vanishes from the sight of the naked human eye.

I don't know what the range of a "mid-range telescope" is, but I'm guessing it can only see a tall object (let's say, a big ship) located at most a few hundred miles away, not thousands of, let alone over ten thousand, miles away on a flat Earth.

Yes, the sun is a much bigger and taller object (diameter of about 30 miles) and located about 3,000 miles above the flat Earth's surface, but when it reaches a certain horizontal distance (let's say at least 5,000 miles) away from a certain point on Earth (or even from an aeroplane a few miles in the air), both the naked human eye and the "mid-range telescope" simply have no ability to see it.

Only a very powerful (or powerful enough) telescope (if it can be made) can see the sun/moon so far away:

[video=youtube;W0Gx1vD1CRE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Gx1vD1CRE[/video]

[video=youtube;GDaiw-G1VGE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDaiw-G1VGE[/video]

[video=youtube;xqnKmoZEuUw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqnKmoZEuUw[/video]

Attachments

• map-pic.jpg
    map-pic.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
SINGAPORE - Generous 12GB mobile data plans are back again, with StarHub bundling the plan with a 1Gbps fibre broadband subscription for just $96.56 a month.

This is about one-third of the combined costs of the two plans when bought separately. Its mobile subscription that comes with a 12GB data allowance costs $220 a month, and the 1Gbps fibre broadband plan, $49.90 a month.

The SurfHub bundled deal - offering at least 12GB of mobile data and a default 1Gbps fibre broadband connection at home - is for heavy users who watch movies on the go.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
SINGAPORE - A 19-year-old was charged in court on Thursday (Aug 18) with using criminal force on teenage blogger Amos Yee at Jurong Point mall.

Bryon Loke Thong Ler is alleged to have held on to the 17-year-old's hands and used his arms to restrain him from the back at basement 1 of the mall at Jurong West Central 2 between noon and 12.30pm on May 29.

A video of the incident was posted on YouTube by Amos, who was heard repeatedly shouting "Help me!" in the video.

longdongsilver

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Female driver gets out and dances on road near body of pedestrian she ran over

Flatearth says:
"
Now for the explanation on perspective, i.e. when parallel lines converge towards a "vanishing point", the object located at that "vanishing point" literally vanishes from the sight of the naked human eye.

I don't know what the range of a "mid-range telescope" is, but I'm guessing it can only see a tall object (let's say, a big ship) located at most a few hundred miles away, not thousands of, let alone over ten thousand, miles away on a flat Earth.

Yes, the sun is a much bigger and taller object (diameter of about 30 miles) and located about 3,000 miles above the flat Earth's surface, but when it reaches a certain horizontal distance (let's say at least 5,000 miles) away from a certain point on Earth (or even from an aeroplane a few miles in the air), both the naked human eye and the "mid-range telescope" simply have no ability to see it..."

Flatearth, are you kidding me you can see your sun 3000 miles above you the size of a basket ball in daytime..but you cannot see it shining brightly in the night sky 5000 miles away..dont make an 8 year old laugh until he or she pees in their pants..
your so called perspective only works if the sun moves in a straight line...

once again flat earth model fails..BIG TIME

Last edited:

longdongsilver

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Female driver gets out and dances on road near body of pedestrian she ran over

below is how a typical flatearther's mind works:

I don't know what the range of a "mid-range telescope" is(first s/he says s/he does not know how a mid range telescope works), but I'm guessing(then s/he starts to assume/guess )it can only see a tall object (let's say, a big ship) located at most a few hundred miles away, not thousands of, let alone over ten thousand, miles away on a flat Earth(then s/he concludes).

amazing isn't it?

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Lacklustre global growth and disappointing trade figures signal quarters of sluggish growth ahead

It has become almost impossible to find a business owner, market watcher or economist who feels upbeat about the economic outlook.

Gloomy sentiment has become par for the course - a mood borne out in a deluge of depressing data.

Lacklustre global growth continues to weigh on Singapore's small, open economy, and disappointing July trade figures out yesterday indicated that the second half of the year will offer little reprieve.

Non-oil domestic exports slid 10.6 per cent in July from a year earlier, far sharper than the 2.5 per cent decline expected by economists.

"When it rains, it pours," said DBS economist Irvin Seah, noting that the numbers "add on to the long list of poor data pointing to the risk of an economic contraction ahead".

Unlike the global financial crisis, this slowdown has not been sharp or severe enough to spark widespread firm closures and layoffs. But the labour market has been showing signs of strain. The jobless rate for Singaporeans and permanent residents was 3 per cent in June, the highest since end-2010. Layoffs hit a seven-year high.

Perhaps most troubling is the uncertainty over when the economy - and sentiment - will turn around.

Chia Yan Min

Earlier this month, the Ministry of Trade and Industry (MTI) said the economy is expected to expand by 1 per cent to 2 per cent this year, in what could be the slowest year since 2009.

This is narrower than an earlier forecast of 1 per cent to 3 per cent. MTI cited risks weighing on global expansion, such as Britain's vote in June to leave the European Union, and a potential sharper slowdown in China.

As growth grinds ever slower, few industries have been spared.

Export-dependent sectors such as manufacturing have borne the brunt of challenging global conditions. The sector - one-fifth of the local economy - eked out a slight uptick in the second quarter, but MTI warned that this may not be sustained.

The oil and gas industry has been especially hard hit by the long decline in global crude prices, leading to fewer projects, reduced profit margins and collection difficulties.

Swiber Holdings' recent collapse - the first major casualty of the oil price slump here - has sparked concerns of potential spillover effects.

About a fifth of manufacturing jobs are linked to the offshore and marine industry.

Financial institutions' exposure to the sector is also a worry. DBS Bank, for instance, said it has about $700 million of exposure to Swiber.

As it is, the financial services sector has been one of the worst performers in recent months, as the lacklustre outlook weighs on bank loan growth.

Even construction, which has so far stayed resilient thanks largely to public projects, is showing signs of faltering. Growth in the sector eased to 3.3 per cent year-on-year from April to June, from 4 per cent in the first quarter, weighed down by a fall in private-sector building.

MTI said firms in the sector are becoming more pessimistic about the outlook and expect growth to weaken in the coming quarters.

Unlike the global financial crisis, this slowdown has not been sharp or severe enough to spark widespread firm closures and layoffs. But the labour market has been showing signs of strain. The jobless rate for Singaporeans and permanent residents was 3 per cent in June, the highest since end-2010. Layoffs hit a seven-year high.

Perhaps most troubling is the uncertainty over when the economy - and sentiment - will turn around.

Major economies like China, Europe and the United States are each grappling with their own issues, so there is no clear global growth driver. Central banks worldwide have cut interest rates to rock-bottom levels in a bid to stimulate economies.

For Singapore, this means more quarters of sluggish growth ahead.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Singapore slaps 2 more charges of witness tampering against ex-BSI banker in 1MDB probe

By

Anita [email protected]@AnitaGabrielBT

SINGAPORE prosecutors filed two more charges on Thursday against former BSI banker Yeo Jiawei for tampering with witnesses in an ongoing probe into 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB).*

PHOTO: REUTERS

COMMENTS

AUG 18, 20164:43 PM

SINGAPORE prosecutors filed two more charges on Thursday against former BSI banker Yeo Jiawei for tampering with witnesses in an ongoing probe into 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB).

This brings the tally to 11 charges against Yeo ranging from money laundering, cheating, forgery and four charges of perverting the course of justice.

Trial dates for the new charges have been fixed from Oct31 to Nov 11 (except Nov 4), according to a statement issued by the Attorney General's Chambers.

The criminal case disclosure conference (CCDC) hearing on the case involving Yeo, who has not been granted bail, has been set for Sept 8.

The pre-trial conference on Kelvin Ang, the second individual who has been charged for corruption in the 1MDB probe, is fixed for Aug 25.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
SINGAPORE — After being hit by a lean spell that saw the number of licensed agents in the Republic fall to its lowest since 2011, the real estate agency business is set for another shake-up, with the entrance of a mobile application that seeks to eliminate hefty agent commission fees.

OhMyHome, founded by sisters Rhonda and Race Wong, provides a platform for Housing and Development Board (HDB) dwellers — sellers and buyers, landlords and tenants — to transact directly with one another without going through an agent.

If they require help with paperwork or prefer the full services of an agent, they can choose from either a S$1,688 or S$2,888 package — significantly lower than the 1-2 per cent commission typically paid in a HDB resale transaction.

“Eighty-two per cent of Singaporeans live in HDB and this is (a market segment that) our other companies are not serving,” OhMyHome’s executive director Race Wong, the elder of the two, told TODAY in an interview. The sisters are also behind Anthill Realtors, a real estate consultancy firm serving investors.

“HDB dwellers often don’t transact as much as private property owners and because of that, they probably have less information and less access to the best agents,” added Rhonda, the company’s chief executive.

The idea behind their latest venture is hardly new in an era where technology and innovation are disrupting the traditional way of doing business. In Malaysia, Speedrent was birthed as a platform to cut out the middlemen in the housing rental market and in the United States, Allre allows buyers and sellers to handle real estate transactions completely online.

Mr Lyon Poh, head of digital + innovation at KPMG in Singapore, said that while all start-ups aspire to disrupt the “inefficiencies in the market”, few have been able to replace existing market participants entirely.

“In the case of property agencies, the role of such intermediaries extend beyond just ‘matchmaking’ but will also include the ‘trusted adviser’ element of the agent-and-client relationships,” he said, adding that incumbents’ expertise and experience can continue to be relevant if they become more innovative and agile as well.

However, some agents told TODAY their livelihoods may be negatively impacted given that disruptors such as OhMyHome are entering the scene at a time when transaction volumes are hit by cooling measures and loan curbs.

“I think the app will attract some market share because of the no or low fee. In this market when there are fewer deals to go around than before, it can be tougher for us. There are already people leaving the industry because of the tougher competition these days,” said a property agent, who asked to be known only as Adrian.

Mr Marcus Chu, chief operating officer of Singapore’s largest real estate agency ERA, said the emergence of start-ups in the industry underscores the need for existing players to re-invent and future-proof existing business models to serve today’s savvy consumers.

“Over the years we have seen many new start-ups trying to tap into the property market. Some are targeted at consumers and some are targeted at real estate professionals ... Today’s tech-savvy consumers expect to be more informed in a transparent market and they want ease of access to genuine property listings and data,” he said.

Since OhMyHome was made available for download in May, it has seen its listings grow to more than 300 and facilitated around 10 transactions so far. The Wong sisters hope that as the business gains greater traction, they can double the company’s headcount in a year from the current 10, which includes management, agents as well as design and IT staff.

But attracting agents to join the company can be an uphill task, especially when the commissions they currently earn are significantly higher than the fixed salary that OhMyHome can offer.

Mr David Ng, a senior real estate adviser at the company, is a veteran property agent that took the plunge despite having to take home 40-50 per cent less income.

“I’ve been around since 2003 and I’ve seen people having to pay their agents even though services were not up to par. There were also people who have difficulty footing commission because it can be a lot of money. I don’t think OhMyHome will eliminate agents, but I hope it can play a part in improving service standards of the industry,” he said.

flatearther

Alfrescian
Loyal
Flatearth, are you kidding me you can see your sun 3000 miles above you the size of a basket ball in daytime..but you cannot see it shining brightly in the night sky 5000 miles away..dont make an 8 year old laugh until he or she pees in their pants..
your so called perspective only works if the sun moves in a straight line...
The 3,000-mile high sun moves in a clockwise direction, parallel to the stationary flat Earth's surface:

[video=youtube;hiOhsKAR6OY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiOhsKAR6OY[/video]

And the nature of the stationary flat Earth and humans is such that after a certain horizontal distance (I'm not sure of the exact distance, so 5,000 miles is just an estimate, but certainly longer than the height of the sun), both the naked human eye and the "mid-range telescope" simply cannot see the sun, even though it's such a large object and so high in the sky.

wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspective_(visual)
wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_perspective
("refers to the effect the atmosphere has on the appearance of an object as it is viewed from a distance")

The key thing is the horizontal distance, not the vertical height and/or the diameter of the sun.
Even if the diameter of the sun were longer than the entire flat Earth's diameter, and even if the sun just stops moving and stays right above the North Pole at only, let's say, one mile above the surface and covering the entire flat Earth with sunlight at the same time (with no night for many days, and let's say the intensity of the heat from the sun is reduced to the point that it's not life-threatening), nobody would be able to see the extreme circumference of the sun, simply because this is the nature/reality of the physical world we live in.

By the way, both "horizontal" and "horizon" come from the same Latin/Greek words, "horizein" (to limit) and "horos" (limit):
collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/horizontal
collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/horizon
Therefore, the horizon is lying on a horizontal (meaning flat) plane, in all directions (i.e. North, South, East, West on a flat surface). :wink:

atlanteanconspiracy.com/2015/01/flat-earth-horizon.html

[video=youtube;TW__MZXMA7A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW__MZXMA7A[/video]

[video=youtube;GYIXPo0ZA7Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYIXPo0ZA7Y[/video]

God Meng Seng

Alfrescian
Loyal
The 3,000-mile high sun moves in a clockwise direction, parallel to the stationary flat Earth's surface:

Ah boy ah, uncle like you. Uncle belief everything you say. Can you talk to uncle please?

I want to introduce my lil bro leetahsar to you too. I am sure you will like him, he is friendly and kind.

Pls send a private message to uncle, can?

longdongsilver

Alfrescian
Loyal
''The key thing is the horizontal distance, not the vertical height and/or the diameter of the sun.
Even if the diameter of the sun were longer than the entire flat Earth's diameter, and even if the sun just stops moving and stays right above the North Pole at only, let's say, one mile above the surface and covering the entire flat Earth with sunlight at the same time (with no night for many days, and let's say the intensity of the heat from the sun is reduced to the point that it's not life-threatening), nobody would be able to see the extreme circumference of the sun, simply because this is the nature/reality of the physical world we live in.'''

another "bombastic "response from flatearth..this time you are making a five year old laugh till they pee in their pants...:biggrin:

flatearther

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any video on why the North and South Poles have 6 months of continuous daylight followed by 6 months of continuous darkness. Thanks
Firstly:
atlanteanconspiracy.com/2015/06/south-pole-does-not-exist.html
[video=youtube;LZP_VZ_Ehvk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZP_VZ_Ehvk[/video]

As for the North Pole, the six months of continuous daylight between mid-March and mid-September is caused by the circumference of the Sun's clockwise movement gradually decreasing (the speed of the movement also, therefore, becomes slower because it still takes 24 hours to complete one revolution, even though the circle becomes smaller) from mid-March (when the sun circles the Equator) to mid-June (when the sun circles the Tropic of Cancer), and then back to circling the Equator in mid-September at a higher speed, when the horizontal distance between the 3,000-mile high Sun and the North Pole is roughly 4,000 miles (which is the radius of the Equatorial circle, if the circumference of the Equator is nearly 25,000 miles):

attachment.php

After mid-September, the Sun's horizontal distance from the North Pole remains over 4,000 miles (reaching a maximum horizontal distance from the North Pole in mid-December, when it's circling the Tropic of Capricorn) until March the next year, when the cycle repeats:

[video=youtube;LjvtmzbEgm8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjvtmzbEgm8[/video]

[video=youtube;XugZ9wGnk9M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XugZ9wGnk9M[/video]

So I just realized that the key horizontal distance between the Sun and the North Pole is roughly 4,000 miles (not 5,000 miles which was my over-estimate previously), beyond which the Sun cannot be seen with the naked eye; which also means that at that point, 5,000 miles is actually the direct straight-line distance from Earth to the 3,000-mile high Sun (at an angle of about 37 degrees from the flat Earth), according to:
wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_theorem
when the Sun "rises" or "sets" at the horizon (because of perspective).

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
PRE-WORKOUT ENERGY & FOCUS

Pre-workout supplementation isn't new. What's exciting about new PLATINUM PRE- is ON's commitment to using safe, effective ingredients in amounts that are clearly listed on the Facts Panel for all to see. There's no marketing hype in this product. This pre-workout formula is 100% business, just like you've come to expect from ON.

Of course, you also expect ON to provide more, and this Platinum-level pre-workout powder is no exception. In addition to intense energy and focus, the formula supports training performance with beta-alanine and citrulline. A novel fruit extract supports metabolism and a unique PhytoBlend completes the package. Those who demand more depend on Optimum Nutrition.

2 SCOOPS PROVIDE:

4 GRAMS OF MICRONIZED CITRULLINE & PEPFORM CITRULLINE PEPTIDES
L-citrulline is a precursor to Nitric Oxide (N.O.) synthesis and may support performance during high-intensity exercise. Each 4-gram dose in PLATINUM PRE- combines micronized L-citrulline with an exclusive patent-pending peptide delivery system.
3.6 GRAMS OF CARNOSYN BETA-ALANINE
Beta-alanine is a key building block for carnosine – a compound that helps neutralize acidic byproducts generated during high-intensity training. Research shows that daily supplementation increases muscle carnosine levels, supporting harder and longer training sessions.
320 MG CAFFEINE
As the subject of numerous studies, caffeine is one of the most well-researched performance enhancing compounds. Along with increased energy and alertness, caffeine has been shown to help sharpen mental focus and reduce the perception of physical effort during exercise.
250 MG CAPSICUM FRUIT EXTRACT
Capsicum from chili peppers provides metabolic support. The capsicum dose in PLATINUM PRE- has been encapsulated so it doesn't interfere with the refreshing fruit flavor.
500 MG PHYTOBLEND + 200 MG VITAMIN C
A blend of Beet Juice Powder, Grape Seed Extract, Red Wine Grape Extract and Citrus Bioflavonoids with a potent dose of vitamin C provide antioxidant support to round out this comprehensive pre-workout formula.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Whey Protein Isolates*pure protein by weight. They are one of the purest and most expensive form of whey protein that exists. That's why they are the first ingredients you read on the Gold Standard Natural 100% Whey label. By using Whey Protein Isolates as our primary protein source, we're able to pack 24 grams of the purest, muscle-building protein per serving, with a lot less of the fat, cholesterol, lactose, and other stuff that you can do without. There's no question this is the standard by which other whey proteins are measured.

Beyond The Basics

Free of artificial flavors, colors, and sweeteners.Whey Isolates are the primary protein sourceHigher Pure Protein PercentageFast-Acting HYDROWHEY Whey PeptidesProvides Whey Protein MicrofractionsMore than 5 grams of BCAAsOver 4 grams of Glutamine & PrecursorsInstantized to Mix with a Spoon

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
SIGNUP

FACEBOOK*INSTAGRAM

CART (0)*

SGD

STORE+*NEW ITEMS!*SALES & SPECIALSLOYALTY POINTS*BLOG*CONTACT USREGISTER*/*LOGIN

FREE SHIPPING OVER $100!BUY MORE AND SAVE!

THE BEST PROTEIN POWDERS!AVAILABLE HERE!

$3 SHAKER OVER $100!OR TOP UP $6 FOR THE SMART SHAKE!

TAGS*+*SEE MORE:*PROTEIN BARS

PREVIOUS*/*NEXT

MUSCLEPHARM COMBAT CRUNCH BARS 12 BARS$52.00 SGD

Brand*Muscle Pharm

Quantity

Chocolate Chip Cookie DoughChocolate Peanut Butter Cup

* ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** *Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough* * * ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** *Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup* * * ** ** ** ** ** ** ** *

Share:*

Fancy

LOW SUGAR & NET CARBSONLY 210 CALORIESDELICIOUS TASTE

CUSTOMER REVIEWS

*No reviews yetWrite a review

Local Delivery is Available for this Product

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

Iron Gear Nutrition Ultra Mass Gainer 10lb Resealable Bag

$84.00 SGD

$80.00 SGD

X

Iron Gear Nutrition Ultra Mass Gainer 5lb

$80.00 SGD

$59.00 SGD

* ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** *Chocolate* * * ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** *Vanilla* * * ** ** ** ** ** ** ** *

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Any video on why the North and South Poles have 6 months of continuous daylight followed by 6 months of continuous darkness. Thanks

For us, the Sun rises in the East and sets in the West.* But at the poles, there are no directions.* From the North Pole, whichever way we look it is South, and from the South Pole, whichever way we look, it is North.* There is no Sunrise or Sunset at the polar regions as we experience at lower latitudes. The Sun appears above the horizon in Summer and makes a 360° circle in the sky - over a period of 187 days at the North Pole 90° North latitude. And in winter, the Sun is below the horizon for 163 days of darkness and* 24 days of semi-darkness when the Sun is just below the horizon. It's not exactly six months of darkness/sunlight at the poles.**(In Svalbard,Norway, the northernmost inhabited region of Europe, there is no sunset from approximately 19 April to 23 August, and no sunrise between November 14 and January 29.)*Needless to mention, when it is summer in the Northern hemisphere, it is winter in the South.

A*solstice*happens when the sun's zenith is at its furthest point from the equator.

The*December Solstice*or Winter Solstice occurring on or about 21st December when the Sun reaches its most southerly declination of -23.5 degrees. In other words, when the North Pole is tilted furthest to 23.5 degrees* away from the Sun. The Sun is directly overhead of the Tropic of Capricorn in the Southern Hemisphere during the December Solstice.

It is called Winter Solstice in the Northern Hemisphere, where it is the shortest day of the year. In the Southern Hemisphere, it is the Summer Solstice and the longest day of the year.* Some people call today the first day of winter. Now you can see why the North pole is in darkness and the South pole in sunlight.

On the*June solstice*or the summer solstice, occurring on or about 21st June, the sun is visible throughout the night, in all areas from just south of the Arctic Circle to the North Pole -Land of the Midnight Sun.* On the other side of the planet, south of the Antarctic Circle there's Polar Night, meaning no Sunlight at all on the June Solstice.

On the*equinox,*the Sun is directly over the equator making the day and night approximately equal.* The March equinox - 20th March -* is when the Sun is apparently moving towards the summer solstice, and the September equinox - 20th September -* is when the Sun is apparently moving towards the winter solstice.

Written Dec 18, 2015