• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious McDonald's to sell all its stores in S'pore and franchise them. Only USD $400 million

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: McDonald's to sell all its stores in S'pore and franchise them. Only USD $400 mil

I suggest a few menu items to boost the sales of McDOnald's Singapore.

1) McAHKONG burger - Tough old leathery piece of meat, with hakka kiam chye on a sesame bun, served with a hatchet to cut the tough meat in a dark alley. Millions of sinkies will throng to MickeyDs to eat this.

2) McPinkie - A strawberry sundae served with a side of mee siam mai hum, and you get souvenir pink shirt if you order the meal.

3) McHO nuggets - Served in a illusionary box where 10 pieces chicken nugget will dissappear to 5, then zero, if you don't eat it fast enough.

4) McChuanJin - A durian dessert menu item. If you want to order this item, you don't have to wait in line. Just jump the Q and go straight to the counter to get your food.

5) CPF Fries - You order a large fries, but the restuarant will hold back 10 pieces until you are 65 years old, then you can come and claim it back. Of course, the rules might change by then.

Lol. If you want to rest assured of 70% sinkie business , wait no longer.
Can add 1 more menu McAssUp serving ayam backside ?

Last edited:

McDonaldsKid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: McDonald's to sell all its stores in S'pore and franchise them. Only USD $400 mil

I suggest a few menu items to boost the sales of McDOnald's Singapore.

1) McAHKONG burger - Tough old leathery piece of meat, with hakka kiam chye on a sesame bun, served with a hatchet to cut the tough meat in a dark alley. Millions of sinkies will throng to MickeyDs to eat this.

2) McPinkie - A strawberry sundae served with a side of mee siam mai hum, and you get souvenir pink shirt if you order the meal.

3) McHO nuggets - Served in a illusionary box where 10 pieces chicken nugget will dissappear to 5, then zero, if you don't eat it fast enough.

4) McChuanJin - A durian dessert menu item. If you want to order this item, you don't have to wait in line. Just jump the Q and go straight to the counter to get your food.

5) CPF Fries - You order a large fries, but the restuarant will hold back 10 pieces until you are 65 years old, then you can come and claim it back. Of course, the rules might change by then.

Brilliant.

But let's not tarnish McDonald's name with the fucking Sinkee brand.

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal

No idea about that. He sold his shares over a number of years from 50% to 10%. The final 10% sold in 2003. I believe it was sold to US HQ. the sale of shares was done over many years and made known in public. He was not interested and planned to retire. I am aware that he used to spend a lot of time after this in the Zoo doing work with Orang Utan enclosure while chairing the board of directors of the Zoo.

Bro, Bob was forced by his HK partner to sell out his interest in MCD. Apparently they had evidence about his taking kickbacks from acquisition and development of all new outlets in S'pore.

Heard this info from someone who once shared with Bob ownership of a 110 footer luxurious boat. They also went on separate ways.

On hindsight it's a blessing in disguise for Bob that he was forced to sell out.

I know Bob when he was a struggling book salesman and his old man was a professor in S'pore U and a diplomat.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

You must be a moron to think that MacDonald's asked for $10m in 1978 for a master franchise. Nobody in his right mind will pay $10m in 1978 for a fast food franchise fee for Singapore. You can buy a bloody hotel for that amount plus some bank borrowings. You also buy a slew of good properties and lease it to expats. MacDonald's property business model could not work in Singapore and they were not keen. If they were keen and they would not have given the franchise to a 27 year old kid who ran a failed bookstore and then a fluffy toy shop and noting else much to show for it.

I note that you have a tendency to come up with the most ridiculous claims.

It was offered to several people, one of whom was my father. that is how I know. We discussed it at length at that time. But I was in the SAF at that time and also we do not know anything about the restaurant business, so we did not follow up. And USD$10 million was not the asking price. It was just to open negotiations with them. U have to prove this amount in net worth. The actual investment is much more then that. There was the master franchise fee which is for the whole country, not for one restaurant. In those days in the US, the franchise fee for one restaurant in an urban high population area was already USD$500K at least. They are asking for franchise fee for the whole country. Plus start up costs. It was well over USD$10 million.

People with small minds and limited experience like u tend to think all these things are ridiculous claims. U believe or not, that is up to you. I couldn't care less.

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ability to furnish capital to run MCD franchise was not sufficient; Bob Kwan had to spend one solid year at MCD University in California.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

yes 10 million to open a mickey d's is insane,why would mickey d demand 10m anyway?they are usually interested in the small business owner,the guy on the street thats interested in owning a franchise.

Its to show u have the networth of USd $10 million. McDonald's corp HQ was not interested in selling individual franchises in Singapore. They just want to sell to one single franchisee, the master franchisor. In theory, depending on the agreement that he signs, he can open as many restaurants that he wants and sells the individual franchises if he so desires.

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rental of MCD 1st outlet at Liat Towers was only $10 psf per month for 5 years.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Bro, Bob was forced by his HK partner to sell out his interest in MCD. Apparently they had evidence about his taking kickbacks from acquisition and development of all new outlets in S'pore.

Heard this info from someone who once shared with Bob ownership of a 110 footer luxurious boat. They also went on separate ways.

On hindsight it's a blessing in disguise for Bob that he was forced to sell out.

I know Bob when he was a struggling book salesman and his old man was a professor in S'pore U and a diplomat.

If I am not mistaken, he negotiated leasehold improvements discounts that he pocketed. The landlords know that a mcdonald's franchise store in their building brings in huge foot traffic. Sometimes, they will pay for the leasehold improvements themselves or give a discount on the rent. If robert does not report that he received payment from the landlord for the leasehold improvements and instead billed the partnership for the whole cost of the improvements, that would be a definitely no no.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Yes, he did quite a few businesses before he ended up with Mcdonald's. He did the tropical fish rearing business first, then that failed. he started Mei's Bookshop in Collyer Quay, then that failed. He also sold toys. But not successful. Lucky for him his father, Prof Kwan Sai Kheong was rich. LOL. In retrospect, all his earlier failures was good for him. It taught him how to do the right things and not make the same mistakes. U have to be unafraid to fail in singapore. Even li ka-shing was bankrupt a few times before he became a billionaire. But in singapore, just one bankruptcy and you are punished for life.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Ability to furnish capital to run MCD franchise was not sufficient; Bob Kwan had to spend one solid year at MCD University in California.

Hamburger U not that long lah. No franchisee has one year to spend training assistant managers at hamburger U. Its a 3 month course.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rental of MCD 1st outlet at Liat Towers was only $10 psf per month for 5 years.

That place must have good Fengshui.....
Bonvest later replaced their bk outlet with their first Starbucks there

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal

That place must have good Fengshui.....
Bonvest later replaced their bk outlet with their first Starbucks there

Sneaky Henry Ngoh's venture into BK cost him a very big hole.

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wow, you knew jopie ong when he was a 'struggling' store owner, you were in khoo teck puat's house when he scolded some minions. And now we know you even knew robert kwan when he was just a 'struggling' book seller. You know every god damn richie rich in singapore, not only that, you were there when things happened. You are either full of shit or a super well connected person, most likely a multi-millionaire yourself! :rolleyes:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

It is not about rental... Mcdonald business is doing very poorly now.. Closing many stores in the USA because people are eating healthy now.. Mcdonald food are not fit for a human being consumption.

I wish it was so as I want to by MCD but the price is too high for my likeing.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

It was offered to several people, one of whom was my father. that is how I know. We discussed it at length at that time. But I was in the SAF at that time and also we do not know anything about the restaurant business, so we did not follow up. And USD$10 million was not the asking price. It was just to open negotiations with them. U have to prove this amount in net worth. The actual investment is much more then that. There was the master franchise fee which is for the whole country, not for one restaurant. In those days in the US, the franchise fee for one restaurant in an urban high population area was already USD$500K at least. They are asking for franchise fee for the whole country. Plus start up costs. It was well over USD$10 million.

People with small minds and limited experience like u tend to think all these things are ridiculous claims. U believe or not, that is up to you. I couldn't care less.

that's about right. the mcd tycoon in the north bay, a chink, had to pay a franchise fee of over usd500k for each joint. that was in the 70s. his claim to fame is location and scale. no point operating just one joint when he could start with 3 or more on day one. that was his pitch to win the franchise for a competitive and lucrative market area which included sf, oakland and napa/vallejo. moreover, to be awarded the franchise, he had to show net worth and holding power. usd10m in collateral and assets were not far-fetched. there were other franchise applicants who were typically immigrants with some money to secure residency. this tycoon now has large tracts of land in vallejo, a ranch, a mansion on the ranch grounds, servant and visitor quarters, a lake, an indoor gym cum basketball court, several tennis courts, etc. i was there for a rotary club picnic. he now has over 50 mcd joints in the north bay. the south bay is dominated by another mcd franchisee tycoon. when there were too many franchise applicants, mcd preferred to award to only a select few with financial means who could cover regional market areas than giving franchise licenses to any stand-alone single-joint mom and pop. at that time, mcd was a much sought-after franchise, in its ascendancy, and in a commanding position to call the shots.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

that's about right. the mcd tycoon in the north bay, a chink, had to pay a franchise fee of over usd500k for each joint. that was in the 70s. his claim to fame is location and scale. no point operating just one joint when he could start with 3 or more on day one. that was his pitch to win the franchise for a competitive and lucrative market area which included sf, oakland and napa/vallejo. moreover, to be awarded the franchise, he had to show net worth and holding power. usd10m in collateral and assets were not far-fetched. there were other franchise applicants who were typically immigrants with some money to secure residency. this tycoon now has large tracts of land in vallejo, a ranch, a mansion on the ranch grounds, servant and visitor quarters, a lake, an indoor gym cum basketball court, several tennis courts, etc. i was there for a rotary club picnic. he now has over 50 mcd joints in the north bay. the south bay is dominated by another mcd franchisee tycoon. when there were too many franchise applicants, mcd preferred to award to only a select few with financial means who could cover regional market areas than giving franchise licenses to any stand-alone single-joint mom and pop. at that time, mcd was a much sought-after franchise, in its ascendancy, and in a commanding position to call the shots.

How many do you own? :biggrin:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Today mickey dees is nothing,in a mall full of high class fnb outlets,mcdees is the place to go for some last resort diarrhea.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

How many do you own? :biggrin:

i'm a lowly jaga who shares a room in bedok. i only have enough money to lim kopi in the morning after work and have mee rebus before the midnight shift.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Today mickey dees is nothing,in a mall full of high class fnb outlets,mcdees is the place to go for some last resort diarrhea.

it's getting packed in the bay area because of its all-day breakfast menu and more affordable "gourmet" coffee. actually, their coffee now is above average for the price of usd1 when purchased with a meal.