• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice & Noodle Stall - Singapore Michelin Guide x 1 STAR

shiokalingam

Alfrescian
Loyal
851423648_138705_14009525912437209449_0.jpg

Less than 12 hours after his stall was awarded one star in the inaugural Singapore Michelin Guide, Mr Chan Hon Meng, 51, was back at work whipping up his signature soya sauce chicken dish for customers at Chinatown Complex.

851419478_137876_14199695637848928951.jpg

851423046_139687_12429755039500086077.jpg

Mr Chan Hon Meng, owner
of Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice & Noodle, at work.

Long queues at 2 hawker stalls awarded Michelin stars

PUBLISHED JUL 22, 2016, 10:49 AM SGTUPDATEDJUL 22, 2016, 7:58 PM

Benson Ang

SINGAPORE - Less than 12 hours after his stall was awarded one star in the inaugural Singapore Michelin Guide, Mr Chan Hon Meng, 51, was back at work whipping up his signature soya sauce chicken dish for customers at Chinatown Complex.

A queue of 10 people had formed at his Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice & Noodle outlet even before it opened on Friday (July 22) morning. As of 10.30am, there were 21 people in the queue.

Following his award, Mr Chan is considering introducing new dishes and opening another outlet. He told The Straits Times he has no plans to raise prices, but "you never know what can happen in the future".

He said: "Even if I increase prices, customers will definitely not have to pay more than $20 for a chicken.

"When I was opening my stall, I felt that a lot of chicken rice in Singapore was cooked in the Hainanese style, so I wanted to present a dish in a different style.

"Now that people know I've won this award, I'm a bit afraid of disappointing them."

Mr Chan's wife, Madam Irene Quek, 40, who helps out at the stall sometimes, was pleased to see her husband recognised for his culinary efforts.

She said: "When I heard the news, I was very happy. I am very proud of my husband. He has been working very hard for so many years. I'm glad that he finally got this recognition."

Salesgirl Cynthia Ang, 46, said she has eaten at the stall every week for more than five years, praising the food as "cheap and good".

"Although I think the food is good, I'm quite surprised that it won a Michelin star because I don't know if it is really the best there is.

"That also means I have to wait longer, which is an inconvenience. I am willing to wait for 45 minutes, but no longer than that."

Aircraft technician Lin Wai Hung, 56, said he drops by once a month to buy half a duck or a whole chicken for a family meal.

He said: "I like the food because the meat is tender, juicy, and not oily. I'm not surprised that it won a Michelin star because the food is good, although I haven't tried soya sauce chicken dishes elsewhere.

"Normally I can queue for up to half an hour. Now I think the queue might be even longer. But I don't mind because it is good for the hawker. If his food is good, of course he deserves the business."

After hearing about the stall's Michelin award, oil refinery technician Tommy Sim, and his wife Priscilla Luan, both 34, travelled from Eunos to sample the food.

He said: "I won't try many of the restaurants which won Michelin stars because they are very expensive. But at least the food at this stall is affordable.

"To be honest, I wouldn't place too much emphasis on Michelin giving this stall a star. It is just a guide and provides suggestions as to where people can eat. Everyone has their own tastes and favourites. If the food here is no good, I will also not come back again."

Over at Crawford Lane, a queue of 36 people had formed at 12pm at the Hill Street Tai Hwa Pork Noodle stall, which also earned Michelin's one-star award.

Part-time telemarketer Lynn Chen, 42, who has been patronising the outlet two or three times a week for over 10 years, said she enjoys the tasty noodles and the deep-fried cuttlefish and seaweed included in the dish.

She said: "The good thing is that we now have a Michelin-star eatery below my block. The bad news is that the queue now will be as long as the Great Wall of China. The stall wins the award, but we - the customers - lose."

shiokalingam

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice & Noodle Stall - Singapore Michelin Guide x 1 S

Michelin-starred chefs walking in

shiokalingam

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice & Noodle Stall - Singapore Michelin Guide x 1 S

Chan Hon Meng speaking about his Michelin star

shiokalingam

Alfrescian
Loyal

The world's first hawker stalls to be awarded a Michelin star

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I've already mentioned in other thread.
This one another slow turtle.
It's not bad but main selling point is that it's cheap. Many cheapos around....price difference cheaper 50cts also will queue for half hour.
The originator of soy sauce chicken in Chinatown is Maria chicken.....this hongkie is a lucky Johnny come lately.

GreaseMonkey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Can get free Michelin tyre or buy tyre can get free chicken rice? :biggrin:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Now the lunch que is 70 customers long and counting

The star only boost his ego not his business.
Because the guy is a slow turtle.....so he can't handle the increased business anyways.....only add to longer queues and more frustrated customers.

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal

Liao Fan Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice & Noodle – Michelin Starred Hawker Opens Restaurant At Smith Street

Liao Fan Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice and Noodle ??????
78 Smith Street Singapore 059872
Opening Hours: 11am – 9pm (tentative)

liaofan21.jpg

liaofan15.jpg

liaofan17.jpg

liaofan16.jpg

liaofan22.jpg

MaximiLian

Alfrescian
Loyal

Over my dead body to queue for more than 5 mins for any food, mitchellin not withstanding.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

liaofan15.jpg

It really sucks to be this guy if his wife looks like that. Get a younger and prettier wife please! You are a michelin chef for goodness sake.

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal

liaofan15.jpg

It really sucks to be this guy if his wife looks like that. Get a younger and prettier wife please! You are a michelin chef for goodness sake.

Mrs Chan , 40, maiden name is Irene Quek. My good friend. Please respect leh...

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Mrs Chan , 40, maiden name is Irene Quek. My good friend. Please respect leh...

She is ugly. I called a spade a spade. Or am I supposed to use some politically-correct term to describe her?

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal

liaofan15.jpg

Actually, both of them look alike.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Happened to walk pass his new shop. Inside was full, with a queue outside stretching all the way to the main road. Somewhere along the queue was a sign that say need to wait at least an hour from that point.

If I not wrong, each plate of chicken noodle in new shop is $3.80(?) instead of $2 in Smith Road hawker centre.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Happened to walk pass his new shop. Inside was full, with a queue outside stretching all the way to the main road. Somewhere along the queue was a sign that say need to wait at least an hour from that point.

If I not wrong, each plate of chicken noodle in new shop is $3.80(?) instead of $2 in Smith Road hawker centre.

I wouldn't be surprised if he opened another two or three more branches. It's pretty much like the michelin starred tim ho wan dim sum or that jap cheese tart craze.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

wtf, the daily bullshit that Straits times serve out deserves a michelin star as well. At least one star for its freshness and taste (or lack of it)