• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Jiak Liao Bee Tan: ITE and Poly kias are RUBBISH

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Poly is big fuck meh? I know people who got into a US uni with their O level results and a good SAT score.

At the U I was studying there was a 16 year old from Spore who did just that. He was really smart & would get A's for almost all the courses he took.
Before he had to return to Spore to do his NS, he had already completed a double degree because he took extra credit during the summers.

He was scholastically brilliant. Also an accomplished musician
The reason I remember him was because not only was he a smart guy but also a nice guy:eek:
That is pretty rare:biggrin:

I heard that he applied to Harvard but was rejected because he was too young.

currypuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hate elitism, not because I am not a elite and jealous. If only elites can have a place in this society, it should be spelled out very clear so that rubbishes can make the choice to move out or self-terminated. I am a O level holder, I don't steal or rob. If I am considered rubbish, I have nothing much to say.

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there's a bunch of them working for apple in cupertino after getting their u.s. double e degrees in 2 years or less.

This was way back in the 70's.
He went to poly because in those days the poly was the place to go if you were interested in a technical education. You could get a job after doing poly. You went to Uni only if you wanted to further continue your education.

It is not like today where the PAP has really screwed around with our school system. I really don't understand the local education system. Why are they wasting students time e.g. increasing the Pre-U jevel to 3 years, burdening students by forcing a 2nd language,.. In Canada & US, you can enter University after doing "O" levels.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He went to poly because in those days the poly was the place to go if you were interested in a technical education. You could get a job after doing poly. You went to Uni only if you wanted to further continue your education.

It is not like today where the PAP has really screwed around with our school system. I really don't understand the local education system. Why are they wasting students time e.g. increasing the Pre-U jevel to 3 years, burdening students by forcing a 2nd language,.. In Canada & US, you can enter University after doing "O" levels.

I do not think in Canada, the kids are forced out of an education if their 2nd language, either French or English fail, not like here. I have lost, I repeated this many times, many of my childhood friends, classmates , who had gone overseas to study due to Chinese, places in School, choice of what they want to study & having to serve reservists after they have completed their studies & these people, have done well in the countries, they have adopted to sink roots & became their core.

The pressure of studying, the limited paths they can take, National slavery....has robbed us, the central core, that could, have , would have & should have, made SINGAPURA GREAT AGAIN..instead we have lost these to other people's country...our own, born bred, educated here & contributed some National Slavery...

We are trying hard to change this today...we it is a little too late...you can even thank the previous education minister like KFC Tan & others for their brilliance in running the education ministry....

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
At the U I was studying there was a 16 year old from Spore who did just that. He was really smart & would get A's for almost all the courses he took.
Before he had to return to Spore to do his NS, he had already completed a double degree because he took extra credit during the summers.

He was scholastically brilliant. Also an accomplished musician
The reason I remember him was because not only was he a smart guy but also a nice guy:eek:
That is pretty rare:biggrin:

I heard that he applied to Harvard but was rejected because he was too young.

what i said

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I hate elitism, not because I am not a elite and jealous. If only elites can have a place in this society, it should be spelled out very clear so that rubbishes can make the choice to move out or self-terminated. I am a O level holder, I don't steal or rob. If I am considered rubbish, I have nothing much to say.

Only one person can consider u rubbish and that is yourself. Anyone else that considers u rubbish is simply someone that u can ignore or beat up.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I do not think in Canada, the kids are forced out of an education if their 2nd language, either French or English fail, not like here. I have lost, I repeated this many times, many of my childhood friends, classmates , who had gone overseas to study due to Chinese, places in School, choice of what they want to study & having to serve reservists after they have completed their studies & these people, have done well in the countries, they have adopted to sink roots & became their core.

The pressure of studying, the limited paths they can take, National slavery....has robbed us, the central core, that could, have , would have & should have, made SINGAPURA GREAT AGAIN..instead we have lost these to other people's country...our own, born bred, educated here & contributed some National Slavery...

We are trying hard to change this today...we it is a little too late...you can even thank the previous education minister like KFC Tan & others for their brilliance in running the education ministry....

This is one of the biggest scandals and fuck ups in singapore. Goh Keng Swee and Old Fart hold the blame squarely for this. They somehow decided that a university education in singapore should be elite and exclusive and hence put up all these requirements to get into university. Its an outright crime that there were only 2 universities in singapore and later just one. This country needed at least 5-6 universities from the word go. 75% of all O level passers are good enough to get into a university somewhere in the world. Instead only the top 5% can go to NUS, while other asian dragons are putting upwards of 30% of their cohorts into unis. In the meantime, the parents of kids smart enough but cannot pass second language or some other stupid requirements have to send their lids to an overseas uni. How many billions of $ taken out of our economy and spend on the economy of other countries for school fees, living expenses, etc.? And now several decades later, the asshole's son is saying there is not enough uni grads and we have to import them wholesale and give them PR and citizenships. well, who caused this problem in the first place? This is one of the biggest fuckups in the world, compounded by the fact that these morons still say they are the bestest and want to get paid the highest multimillion $ salaries.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

No, its after A levels. The canadian and US system is a Grade 12 system. O levels is considered up to Grade 10. the 2 year Pre-U is the equivalent of upper high school under the US and canadian systems. So, students there enter uni after Grade 12 or the equivalent of Pre-U.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i think we should mind our own business, only por lumpar cronies can be qualified to be pressilan.:rolleyes:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is one of the biggest scandals and fuck ups in singapore. Goh Keng Swee and Old Fart hold the blame squarely for this. They somehow decided that a university education in singapore should be elite and exclusive and hence put up all these requirements to get into university. Its an outright crime that there were only 2 universities in singapore and later just one. This country needed at least 5-6 universities from the word go. 75% of all O level passers are good enough to get into a university somewhere in the world. Instead only the top 5% can go to NUS, while other asian dragons are putting upwards of 30% of their cohorts into unis. In the meantime, the parents of kids smart enough but cannot pass second language or some other stupid requirements have to send their lids to an overseas uni. How many billions of $ taken out of our economy and spend on the economy of other countries for school fees, living expenses, etc.? And now several decades later, the asshole's son is saying there is not enough uni grads and we have to import them wholesale and give them PR and citizenships. well, who caused this problem in the first place? This is one of the biggest fuckups in the world, compounded by the fact that these morons still say they are the bestest and want to get paid the highest multimillion $ salaries.

Yes indeed. On hindsight we now know the so called foresight and vision of Lee Con You are all BS.
The fact he forced his Aqua son to learn Russian is another foresight gone wrong

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

They had a quota for doctors & many went overseas to get a qualification & I have a young relative, who just scrap through like thin paper through a slot to get a spot , to study to be a doctor here, that was years sgo. And that was not the only one that had quota...plus the fact, you must have a pass in CHINESE....

So, we have so many "smart" education minister...."massaging" the education system over the decades & what have we got today?....a neurotic, brain-damaged, educated population....namely the 70%.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Its good to see people who are willing to speak up about their concerns regarding our country's future -which is different from the ruling party.

The problem with having scholars/academics (in their ivory towers) running the show is that they lose touch with the concerns of the man in the street.-eg saying old folks are actually collecting cardboards for exercise.
They usually look at the big picture eg GDP/GNP growth while giving scant regard to the fact that it has made the rich even richer and the middle class/poor even more miserable (high cost of housing, influx of cheap immigrants ect2. )

Looking at the new set of ministers and parliamentarians, it will be status quo unless there is political change.
History has shown that no party rule forever, but when it happens, what will be the price and who will be paying it?

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

u mean enter college?in US culture they have something call college education and university education,college is kind of a university education for imbeciles,like a pretend university,like a art college or technical college like ITE except they dont call it ITE or SIM university.its a place for them to pick up skills for adulthood or at least prepare them for university education for those who show the potential.which makes me curious,alot of american parents express their wish and desires for their kids to go to college,they hope their kids will attend a school for retards?their expectations for their kids doesnt seem to be very high.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

first u all complain theres too many degree holders nowadays,diluting degree paper value to toilet paper,then u all complain lky and gks are elitist,wanting to keep university education to top 5 percent only,what is it u guys want?other asian dragons are different name of game leh,japs and koreans are really smart,as can be seen by their various high tech companies,samsung,sony etc etc.educating 20 to 30 percent of their population to university is a boon to their economy,even the JAV idols in Japan are university educated.singapore on the other hand is a country with a massive underclass of coolies and farmers who were illiterate and inarticulate a problem that was well known even back in the colonial days in Tan Kah kee's era,thats why they needed so much protection.sinkies are worthless,even mumbai and southern and myanmar uni graduates are more valuable.even 3rd world shitskin and prc garbage can easily beat our top students in uni,jc,sec and psle.

most importantly is the huge strain on the ecological system of singapore,with so many sinkie uni grads popping out,do u know what a massive strain it is on Lee Hsien Loong to house and feed all these worthless jiak liao bees?every year they have to come up with new departments,new stat boards,new ministries,new rankings and military posts just to accomodate all these worthless sinkies,these poses a huge strain not only on our GLCs but also on our budgets.there is only one punchbowl and so many mouths to feed.

currypuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
Only one person can consider u rubbish and that is yourself. Anyone else that considers u rubbish is simply someone that u can ignore or beat up.

If not an individual but society and the PAP system consider me a condemned rubbish then how?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No, its after A levels. The canadian and US system is a Grade 12 system. O levels is considered up to Grade 10. the 2 year Pre-U is the equivalent of upper high school under the US and canadian systems. So, students there enter uni after Grade 12 or the equivalent of Pre-U.

If you enter a Canadian U with A levels you will be over qualified. I remember sleeping through the 1st year courses because it was a repeat of what I had already done in my A levels in Spore.

At the Uni I was studying in there was a 13 year old student who was taking a computer science course :eek:
This Uni also allowed mature students to take courses without the usual stringent entry requirements & I think they didn't have to pay :eek::eek:

However after the 1st year watch out because the Canadian students pick up the basics very quickly & many of them surpass their Sporean counterparts. Many Canadians who decide to go to Uni are doing so because of interest & not just to get a job.

Those who are only interested in qualifying for a job can get qualifications by attending their version of a polytechnic which only requires 2 years to complete. Blue collar workers such as bus drivers, policemen,.... can make as much, or more than an office worker.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
u mean enter college?in US culture they have something call college education and university education,college is kind of a university education for imbeciles,like a pretend university,like a art college or technical college like ITE except they dont call it ITE or SIM university.its a place for them to pick up skills for adulthood or at least prepare them for university education for those who show the potential.which makes me curious,alot of american parents express their wish and desires for their kids to go to college,they hope their kids will attend a school for retards?their expectations for their kids doesnt seem to be very high.

I'm more familiar with the Canadian University because that's where I went to. Back when I was looking at the various Unis, ALL the Candians Universities were recognised by the Spore gov't. I went to a Provincial University because it was cheaper than the private ones in Ontario.

As a matter of fact, when I was studying there I met many Spore gov't sponsored students there. There were also many other gov't sponsored scholars from PRC China, Tanzania, Nepal, ... etc

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

for 2-year colleges, yes, it's easy to enter with "o" levels. for good accredited 4-year universities, a sinkie student will need advanced placement courses, credits or pre-reqs to get accepted into hot majors like comp science and engineering. advanced placement courses in the u.s. are equivalent to pre-u or junior college courses in sg, i.e. some "a" level subjects are accepted as 1st-year credited courses in the u.s. for any major. for comp science and engineering, poly courses in integrated circuits, circuit logic, kernel programming, etc., are accepted as 3rd-year core credits and pre-reqs. poly courses can literally shave off 3 years of pre-req comp science and engineering studies in the u.s. i have always advised that poly is a much better route for tech jobs in the u.s., with the benefit of a very short or accelerated 4-year engineering degree completion. most american students these days require at least 5 years to complete an engineering b.s. degree.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
for 2-year colleges, yes, it's easy to enter with "o" levels. for good accredited 4-year universities, a sinkie student will need advanced placement courses, credits or pre-reqs to get accepted into hot majors like comp science and engineering. advanced placement courses in the u.s. are equivalent to pre-u or junior college courses in sg, i.e. some "a" level subjects are accepted as 1st-year credited courses in the u.s. for any major. for comp science and engineering, poly courses in integrated circuits, circuit logic, kernel programming, etc., are accepted as 3rd-year core credits and pre-reqs. poly courses can literally shave off 3 years of pre-req comp science and engineering studies in the u.s. i have always advised that poly is a much better route for tech jobs in the u.s., with the benefit of a very short or accelerated 4-year engineering degree completion. most american students these days require at least 5 years to complete an engineering b.s. degree.

Sometimes it is worthwhile to take the time to enjoy the experience of a new environment. Going to the west from Spore requires an adjustment:smile:
The person who used his Spore poly qualifications to get into the University of Irvine at California told me that the university took the trouble to go through with what he did in the Spore poly to give him advance credit.

He was impressed that they took the trouble because as a Sporean, he wasn't expectimg such treatment.
It is a culture shock to be treated with politeness & as a human being rather than a digit:wink:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sometimes it is worthwhile to take the time to enjoy the experience of a new environment. Going to the west from Spore requires an adjustment:smile:
The person who used his Spore poly qualifications to get into the University of Irvine at California told me that the university took the trouble to go through with what he did in the Spore poly to give him advance credit.

He was impressed that they took the trouble because as a Sporean, he wasn't expectimg such treatment.
It is a culture shock to be treated with politeness & as a human being rather than a digit:wink:

he's fortunate he finished poly in sg. with advanced placement in his favor he stood a better chance of being fast-tracked into comp science or engineering. those majors are so much in demand that the line waiting to get in is thousands long per university. and among those waiting to get pass the 1st hurdle, which is typically ee99 which is a pre-req course in ee circuit basics, these students are some of the best and brightest out of u.s. high schools and international cohorts. with poly education in tech and engineering, your friend basically jumped through that hoop and landed right in the core years of a very tough, competitive and rigorous engineering program in uc irvine. to get in is like striking lottery for many u.s. students here.