• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Blast from Singapore's past

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP will build wet markets for these poor Chinese hawkers soon.

Albert St (day) 1966

attachment.php

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1966 got color picture and so clear some more. Surprise.
The gal in red look cute. Now is a grandma or maybe mat liao :*:

There are color photos as far back as the latter part of WWII.

1966 is not that old lah. They landed people on the moon. In the 60's if you wanted to take great pictures you would get a Leica or Nikon. If you were rich you could also get a Hasselblad.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In 1966? Under PAP already. PAP will build more hawker centers for them soon.

The PAP was probably cracking down on these hawkers because unless the hawkers were paying $ for rentals & licenses, the PAP would not get a cent.
Once the PAP started building the hawker centres, they could start forcing them into these hawker centres & start making money from them.

This is probably Albert Street? Had a relative who was a regular of Fatties. I think they are still around but occupying smaller premises next to Sim Lim Square

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There are color photos as far back as the latter part of WWII.

1966 is not that old lah. They landed people on the moon. In the 60's if you wanted to take great pictures you would get a Leica or Nikon. If you were rich you could also get a Hasselblad.

Yes but should be more for the rich people and hobbist. My pix in 70s were still all BnW

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes but should be more for the rich people and hobbist. My pix in 70s were still all BnW

Picture was probably taken by a tourist. Who else would bother to take a photo of Spore:smile:

I wish I had taken more photos of those days. When you are young you don't think about preserving memories:o

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Picture was probably taken by a tourist. Who else would bother to take a photo of Spore:smile:

I wish I had taken more photos of those days. When you are young you don't think about preserving memories:o

This tourist camera was HD in 60's :biggrin:
Yes we should also take more now and when time comes sg100 it will be memorable :biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The old National Library and the coffeeshop next to it. :biggrin:

1333673230_c02e3deba1.jpg

My most memorable memory of the library was of a hawker who was selling drinks on the road just before the entrance, bottom left corner of the photo. He ran with his push cart in panic when he thought that some health inspectors were in the area:biggrin:

Even back then people feared the PAP's money seeking policies.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
My regular makan is the wanton mee. First go to MPH to read some mags and listen some hits from the record store...then go to library to do some studies and later to Cathay to watch a movie... Yep, those were the days!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ain't complete without Bugis

I visited Bugis in the 70's & can tell you it was really a happening place. Before 12 midnight there were many stalls selling stuff & food . After 12 the stalls disappeared leaving the stalls selling food & drinks & the procession of the "girls" of Bugis Street would start their walk down the street :smile:

Someone told me that they also had tiger shows in the area.