• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Blast from Singapore's past

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Raffles Place, John Little on left

attachment.php

Attachments

• raffles place john little left.jpg
    raffles place john little left.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 1,532

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Satay Club, Beach Rd, undated

attachment.php

This was the original location. So the photo would be before 1970.
Infront of hainanese clan building which roughly is where Prince/jade cinemas shaw leisure gallery now.
Later shifted to esplanade stretch (the original esplanade).

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Jonny, agree with you. Though expensive and ostentatious looking, the design and layout is really bad. Hardy any traffic because I suspect once you are in there you not going back. I understand that the partners have gone to high court as they want to get out. I wonder who the architect is.

They've transformed Capitol theatre into some kind of mall. Been there once & didn't think much of it. I think it is only a matter of time until it joins the grave yard of malls like Orchard Rd.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This was the original location. So the photo would be before 1970.
Infront of hainanese clan building which roughly is where Prince/jade cinemas shaw leisure gallery now.
Later shifted to esplanade stretch (the original esplanade).

Before they moved from their Beach Road, going to the satay club was a pleasant experience.

After they moved to the esplanade, the satay club was never the same again:(
Crowded & often you had to fight for a seat. After the bad experience my family never visited the satay again.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Jonny, agree with you. Though expensive and ostentatious looking, the design and layout is really bad. Hardy any traffic because I suspect once you are in there you not going back. I understand that the partners have gone to high court as they want to get out. I wonder who the architect is.

The only reason I visited was because it is nearby Funan. Now that Funan is closed, there is nothing of interest for me there & I doubt that the Burmese from little Burma will be interested in the place.

I went to school in that area :smile:. Plenty of people did because many well known schools were located there: RI, St Joseph, ACS, CHIJ,.... That area used to be a happening place with the Adelphi Hotel, many smaller family owned stores. Polar & Metro had it's first stores in that area. People used to go there because of the National Library, the food at Hock Lam Street, MPH,...

That all changed when the PAP decided to remake Spore. Chased everyone from the area & repurposed the buildings for art centres. So it shouldn't come as a surprise that there is little foot traffic there.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Similar experience. Regular haunt during school days, parents frequented High Street, Polar cafe etc and I usually drop by Funan as well. In later life , it was for Cameras, Laptops and Ya Kun Coffee's kopi-c. The Times Bookstore in Hunan before they gave the lease use to stock certain titles that others did not have because of the clientele around there - judges, lawyers and the Ministers.

Like you, nothing else to go for now, sigh!!

The only reason I visited was because it is nearby Funan. Now that Funan is closed, there is nothing of interest for me there & I doubt that the Burmese from little Burma will be interested in the place.

I went to school in that area :smile:. Plenty of people did because many well known schools were located there: RI, St Joseph, ACS, CHIJ,.... That area used to be a happening place with the Adelphi Hotel, many smaller family owned stores. Polar & Metro had it's first stores in that area. People used to go there because of the National Library, the food at Hock Lam Street, MPH,...

That all changed when the PAP decided to remake Spore. Chased everyone from the area & repurposed the buildings for art centres. So it shouldn't come as a surprise that there is little foot traffic there.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
East Coast McDonald's and Bowling alleys - torn down for what?? To make place for a McDonald and other small outlets. Wtf!! Might as well leave it alone !

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bowling alley -Jackies Katong. Other was at former Orchard Cinema (now Cineleisure).

Era of paper score sheets, before overhead transparency and electronic score boards.
Strike, spare, odds for split anyone?

attachment.php

Orchard 1994

attachment.php

Attachments

• jackies 1.jpg
    jackies 1.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 590
  • 04 - Orchard Bowl 1994 (from Picas).jpg
    04 - Orchard Bowl 1994 (from Picas).jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 594
Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lido before Shaw Centre 1960s Stalls 1, 2 bucks. Circle 3

attachment.php

Attachments

• lido 1960s.jpg
    lido 1960s.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,111

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lau Pa Sat 1970s? Can't recall this shape, before redoing?

attachment.php

Attachments

• lau pa sat 1970s.jpg
    lau pa sat 1970s.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,068

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chartered Bank, Raffles Place and Battery Rd

attachment.php

Attachments

• chartered bank RP, Battery Rd.jpg
    chartered bank RP, Battery Rd.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 875

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Circular rd and North B rd. Minus the glitzy pubs

attachment.php

Attachments

• cir nbr.jpg
    cir nbr.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 876

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
...a guy whose father rented a 2nd floor room with his son who is a RI boy, mother passed away. The son is now running his own business, has properties in UK, OZ etc. Still humble.
Had no such illustrious alumni, but recall business was done by shake of (known) hands, and goods were carried to warehouses on river side (before clean up, in 1970s). Had my prints of paintings of river scene dated 1970s. Only contrasting backdrop was OCBC (nicknamed "calculator") and UOB

Recall abalone king era, who had a great strangle hold on this favourite cuisine here. Then his famous great fall, as he chewed more than able to ingest.

frequented High Street, Polar cafe etc and I usually drop by Funan as well.
Likes of Metro and ah neh shops, where I bought my 1st pair Levis. Bata bus stop was a focal meeting point

Last edited:

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Isn't that near St. Patricks school?
No it's the MAC at the East Coast Beach opp Marine Parade. They level the place years back and everyone thought its for some big mall thingy. But they build a one storey shed and put in the same Macs and now people r wondering why u tear down the place in the first place. Civil serpents really got too much time and $ to play with!

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
1333673230_c02e3deba1.jpg

old_national_library_canteen_rev.jpg

As recent as 2005 we were still making this coffee shop our pit stop for our 76 km ride via Mandai, Neo Tiew, LCK Rd, Tuas Checkpoint, West Coast Highway & Keppel Rd from Thomson Long House every Sunday.