• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat sinkie retrenched bankers are hopeless

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Job-seekers in Singapore are demanding, obnoxious and too obsessed with money and job titles

You would think that after about five years of tough market conditions in the banking sector in Singapore most candidates (particularly people who’ve been laid off) would have curtailed their expectations when it comes to job hunting.

However, there are still a lot of people here who obviously feel like the banking industry simply can’t do without them.

I recruit in-house for back and middle-office jobs at a US bank in Singapore. Just recently I approached a candidate who had been let go by one of the British banks. She had been out of work for around three months and hadn’t had any promising interviews. Her background was predominantly within operations, an area that has been shrinking in Singapore for more than three years.

The role I had would effectively bring her in at exactly the same level as her previous job, both salary and responsibility wise. But she told me outright that unless it carried a director title, she wasn’t interested.

I assured her that the role was not a director position but it was very well suited to her for a number of reasons. She still wasn’t interested unless it carried a director title.

I was completely gobsmacked her obnoxious attitude. Here I was offering her a chance to re-enter the banking sector in a time where just being employed in a senior role in the back office of a foreign bank in Asia is becoming very rare. Yet she felt this was the perfect time to play hard-to-get and push for a promotion.

A few weeks later, I was referred to another banker who had also unfortunately been made redundant.

Once again I had an opportunity for him to go back into a job at a very similar level to that of his last role. But during the initial briefing for the position – it wasn’t even a formal interview – his first question was: “what’s my bonus likely to be in my first year?”.

To me this isn’t an example of someone standing up for being paid what they’re are worth. This is an example of an ‘entitlement culture’ among job seekers in Singapore that continues to astound myself and other banking recruiters and hiring managers.

The facts are simple: the banking industry is shrinking and opportunities for senior people who have been made redundant are becoming much rarer. I would even say ‘scarce’ is a better word for senior support-based roles at VP level and above in operations and finance.

For the majority of candidates who are in this position, my recommendation is to become far more realistic when it comes to your expectations. Your focus should be to re-enter the market and rebuild your career.

At this point in time, you don’t have much leverage at all in the job market. But remember that not many other people are doing amazing well-paid roles in banking support in Singapore any more.

If you’ve been offered a new job, grab it. There are many other people who have been made redundant recently and will probably never return to the banking sector. It’s time to ditch your sense of entitlement.

http://news.efinancialcareers.com/sg-en/249975/demanding-job-seekers-singapore/?

Last edited:

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't believe you. Banking support, cost centre and director level? Just find another candidate, it will be snapped up in seconds

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkies are smart people, NSF quality. Will know how to siam shit jobs and even so if comes from angmoh companies.

If angmohs companies hire SInkies to do shit jobs hiring even more so to demand your entitlement.

Angmoh had bad reputation of illegal business activities, esp when they company are angmoh chng type British empire drug traffickers.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Those who have given some thought about improving their life eventually decide to emigrate.

Those looking for monetary gain & titles are usually the ones who stay in Spore. If they are single they can afford the risk of hanging around Spore a little longer but eventually those who are able will move on.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't believe you. Banking support, cost centre and director level? Just find another candidate, it will be snapped up in seconds

Offer me that job, I will take it....the writer is another of those ghost writers to spoil the name of sinkingtothebottom....& baying the same old song " four legs bad, 2 legs good"...to employ , another Malaysians, Filipino....or sen now from the Union Of Burma...

Cravex

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Japan, even Kimura look alike also sweeping the floor, dun believe it? just stroll down the street of Dotonburi in the Kansai Prefecture and you would know what I meant.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
They misusing the name BANKER....you work in the bank you are a BANKER..so the jaga at the bank is a Banker with security experience....

You provide high level security for a bank? My god! Can I hire you?

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sinkies are not hungry enough and paranoid enough to always think that somebody is waiting to steal their lunch,thats why they are destined to be continued to be screwed by PAPpies,foreigners invade their countries and takeover their land and jobs and steal their womenfolk and daughters.in order to be a good entrepreneur u always have to be hungry and paranoid and defend what u got.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkies are not hungry enough and paranoid enough to always think that somebody is waiting to steal their lunch,thats why they are destined to be continued to be screwed by PAPpies,foreigners invade their countries and takeover their land and jobs and steal their womenfolk and daughters.in order to be a good entrepreneur u always have to be hungry and paranoid and defend what u got.

If you are working as a back room operation and seeking to earn big salary, your job can be outsource easily.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
His last job is at Stan Chart branch at Holland Village!

I passed the robber at SCB Holland V a note, " this is the security, I have a double barrel shotgun, so walk quietly out"....you see, it was in accordance to the SOP....no shots were fired, after that, we let the security authority of the land to take over...job done!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You provide high level security for a bank? My god! Can I hire you?

I am a BANKER WITH SECURITY EXPERIENCE....a glorified JAGA ( like PRESIDENT), my minimum wage per hour is $100, can you afford me....since, you are "members"...can negotiate for a discount!

FangSinGuek

Alfrescian
Loyal
worse than f trashes with fake degree and tweaked experience????
Vikram Pandit fucked up Citigroup big time & nobody ever think he got real degree or experience.............