• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Really!! - an Islamic college in Singapore

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think we like to see more Malay professions - doctors, lawyers, engineers, scientists, scholars, etc. We would like to see their education raised as a community so that none of them get left behind and feel marginalised.

The last thing they need is more religious scholars. We closed down Nanyang University and madrasahs for one reason - their students struggle to get into mainstream jobs and be part of an inclusive society.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/yaacob-asks-muis-to-study/2960744.htmlYaacob asks MUIS to study feasibility of setting up Islamic college in Singapore
By Rachelle Lee Posted 15 Jul 2016 22:11 Updated 15 Jul 2016 22:20

SINGAPORE: Minister-in-charge of Muslim Affairs Yaacob Ibrahim has asked the Islamic Religious Council of Singapore (MUIS) to study the feasibility of setting up an Islamic college in Singapore. The aim is to provide an institution for religious leaders to receive their tertiary education.

Dr Yaacob, who is also Minister for Communications and Information, said: "The various Islamic universities in the Middle East and the region have served us well, but there is a need for home-grown religious leaders anchored in our local multi-racial, multi-religious context and attuned to the concerns of our community in the ever changing global environment.”

“Many factors would have to be studied carefully, especially its viability in a small market such as ours. It will need to be sustained by the community and able to attract good faculty,” he added.

Dr Yaacob was speaking at a Hari Raya get-together event at Regent Hotel, which was attended by 470 people. He spoke about continuing the strong leadership of the Malay community.

To preserve the community's heritage, the National Library Board and National Archives of Singapore have been documenting their oral history. This includes interviews that revolve around themes like the Malay language, arts, business and religious diversity.

Dr Yaacob said a committee on the Malay-Muslim community’s oral history will be set up to advise on the scope of the themes to cover, as well as make recommendations on who to interview

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
@ scroobal

Really....when I read your original post.....I was like......O My God....it couldn't have been you that wrote it, right?

There are so many Christian theological colleges in your country and also a Roman Catholic seminary that dishes out certifications from Rome. Not to mention there are schools that specialize in Buddhism. So what's wrong with having an Islamic one?

There are many Sinkies who don't consider amassing material wealth as achievements or earthly success as real success in life. To them there's more to life and eternity than just the mindless pursuits of material well-being. They're planning for their life hereafter, you know.

As a Sinkie, you ought to support your gabrament's initiative in creating a level-playing field for religious colleges of all persuasions to thrive in your country.

I'm sure your Prime Ministar and Dr Yacoob would say "Allahu Akbar".

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is great idea. It will raise the profile of the rock amongst extremists who will be determined to strike fear in what will be considered infidels trying to defile Islam. The talk power and myth of the judiciary and homeland security will be put to the real test. You will find out how great ICA, SCDF, SPF will be.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
don't pretend pretend. you're a "moderate" muslim sympathizer through and through (btw, no such animal as "moderate" muslim - you're either a quran believer or you're not), after getting greased both front and rear by your "sponsors" in dubai. now with anti-muslim sentiment getting stronger and nastier online and especially on sbf, you jump on the bandwagon trying to mix with the "bro's." hopefully your dubai partners will figure out your duplicity and give you a good brotherly welcum.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
juz rook @ dose so called skolars ulamas, mullahs n muftis up north ... 'nuff said ...

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
fark the college, it should be upgraded to a uni - what with nus and ntu up there in the top ten institutions of hiyah learning.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Would you rather see our peaceful Muslims get their theology degress in Saudi Arabia or Pakistan instead?

griffin

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE: ......
Dr Yaacob, who is also Minister for Communications and Information, said: "The various Islamic universities in the Middle East and the region have served us well, but there is a need for home-grown religious leaders anchored in our local multi-racial, multi-religious context and attuned to the concerns of our community in the ever changing global environment.”

“Many factors would have to be studied carefully, especially its viability in a small market such as ours. It will need to be sustained by the community and able to attract good faculty,” he added...............

This is double-speak for saying Singaporean taxpayers have to foot the bill for the running of this so-called Muslim uni.

Well, perhaps the proposed uni will put up research papers to prove the Koran had rightly stated that, among other things, the sun goes around the earth, the earth is flat and non-Muslims have 7 stomachs.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is double-speak for saying Singaporean taxpayers have to foot the bill for the running of this so-called Muslim uni.

Well, perhaps the proposed uni will put up research papers to prove the Koran had rightly stated that, among other things, the sun goes around the earth, the earth is flat and non-Muslims have 7 stomachs.

Sorry. No such verse. I beleive that is in the bible.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
@ scroobal

Really....when I read your original post.....I was like......O My God....it couldn't have been you that wrote it, right?

There are so many Christian theological colleges in your country and also a Roman Catholic seminary that dishes out certifications from Rome. Not to mention there are schools that specialize in Buddhism. So what's wrong with having an Islamic one?

There are many Sinkies who don't consider amassing material wealth as achievements or earthly success as real success in life. To them there's more to life and eternity than just the mindless pursuits of material well-being. They're planning for their life hereafter, you know.

As a Sinkie, you ought to support your gabrament's initiative in creating a level-playing field for religious colleges of all persuasions to thrive in your country.

No the accumulation of material wealth or knowledge or earthly successes or advancement of mankind or searching for extraterrestrial life or confronting the boundaries of the unknown and the limitations of human knowledge and comprehension and understanding mans brief and flickering existence in the infinite of the universe may not be all there is to life and may not be what some sinkies concern themselves with,but I prefer that we remain a atheist or secular free thinking society,unconstrained and unbridled by the push up bra,control cup,power bra of religious thinking.

Last edited:

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think we like to see more Malay professions - doctors, lawyers, engineers, scientists, scholars, etc. We would like to see their education raised as a community so that none of them get left behind and feel marginalised.

The last thing they need is more religious scholars. We closed down Nanyang University and madrasahs for one reason - their students struggle to get into mainstream jobs and be part of an inclusive society.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/yaacob-asks-muis-to-study/2960744.htmlYaacob asks MUIS to study feasibility of setting up Islamic college in Singapore
By Rachelle Lee Posted 15 Jul 2016 22:11 Updated 15 Jul 2016 22:20

SINGAPORE: Minister-in-charge of Muslim Affairs Yaacob Ibrahim has asked the Islamic Religious Council of Singapore (MUIS) to study the feasibility of setting up an Islamic college in Singapore. The aim is to provide an institution for religious leaders to receive their tertiary education.

“Many factors would have to be studied carefully, especially its viability in a small market such as ours. It will need to be sustained by the community and able to attract good faculty,” he added.

Dr Yaacob was speaking at a Hari Raya get-together event at Regent Hotel, which was attended by 470 people. He spoke about continuing the strong leadership of the Malay community.

To preserve the community's heritage, the National Library Board and National Archives of Singapore have been documenting their oral history. This includes interviews that revolve around themes like the Malay language, arts, business and religious diversity.

Dr Yaacob said a committee on the Malay-Muslim community’s oral history will be set up to advise on the scope of the themes to cover, as well as make recommendations on who to interview

Amos Yee will have lots to blog about.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
@ scroobal

LHL wants to hv 100% melayu votes........ Yousef Ishak, this and soon Halimah as first melayu femal president!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
That makes sense. Why didn't I think of it!! They probably end up with a law that only recognises qualifications to preach in mosques from this proposed college.

I don't think they can do that exactly. There are respected Islamic colleges elsewhere. However, the local college will eventually produce more clerics for the local community and that they can control. The government will generously fund this. They can show Indonesia and Malaysia how accommodating they are to Islam. Smart.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You may be right. The political capital with our neighbours would be substantial. This to me came out of the blue. My sense is that militant Islam is growing and there is no sign of a reversal of any sort in the near future. This will give them better level of control. Its hard to monitor what goes on in foreign colleges and we might have sleepers. If they can stop recognising well established medical and law schools for over 20 years I won't be surprised if they go down this road.

I don't think they can do that exactly. There are respected Islamic colleges elsewhere. However, the local college will eventually produce more clerics for the local community and that they can control. The government will generously fund this. They can show Indonesia and Malaysia how accommodating they are to Islam. Smart.