• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Elite teacher hates teaching in neighbourhood school

kknnbbccbb

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wee Moh Nam threw a whole pile of exercise books in my face. It injured my neck.

However it made me scared shitless of him and I did my math homework diligently after that.

Had I told my dad he would have thrown more stuff at me.

Extreme left front row (seated)

Staff1975.jpg

Wee MN forced me to swim in the small pool even though he knew I had hydrophobia. I should have complained to Chee since I used to live close to him in Telok Kurau.

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember the language teachers were the toughest and understandably so as holding the class' attention for a boring subject was a real challenge. I never in all my life ever heard a classmate say he enjoyed going to his second language class. There was lot of moaning and suffering.

That is so true esp in Christian schools and from those English speaking families.

My 2nd Lang teacher cried many times and walked out on the class.
After consoling herself, she would asked for volunteers to leave the class.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was caned for talking in class. I was a prefect and therefore became the laughing stock of the school as no one could recall a prefect getting caned. In those days, the whole neighbourhood would know what happened in school and I lived in fear that my father would find out. Lasted until the end of the school year.

In those days you get the slap first before you give your side of the story. If it holds water you are spared a beating. The first slap is to teach you not to get involved in anything other than school work.

Wee Moh Nam threw a whole pile of exercise books in my face. It injured my neck.

However it made me scared shitless of him and I did my math homework diligently after that.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I remember the language teachers were the toughest and understandably so as holding the class' attention for a boring subject was a real challenge. I never in all my life ever heard a classmate say he enjoyed going to his second language class. There was lot of moaning and suffering.

I was bored in Chinese classes not that it was a challenge, it was a challenge for me to be interested; for I had 2 years of Chinese Junior School, before I started primary school education & in upper primary, when we were in Federation, we had to take an additional Malay Language class ( non examinations). The Malay Classes was a moaning & groaning , for che gu, has to take a class of students, that don't bother paying attention, other than che gu, other classes that has Malay as a second language. Back then, the classes were sorted into, those mother tongues were Chinese & Malays. We have Chinese taking Malay as a second language...for that was the language spoken at home..

Language teachers....were the least loved & grumpiest....& fast with rulers, equally lightning fast, throwing your books out of the class rooms.....

:biggrin:

trump

Alfrescian
Loyal

Staff1975.jpg

wow thats a very old vintage pic, did the photographer used those gunpowder flash? :biggrin:

b8b141e67d6bd4f5b1fc2cc247f697c4.jpg

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
On hindsight, you have to feel sorry for them. I do now understand the challenge they were facing.

That is so true esp in Christian schools and from those English speaking families.

My 2nd Lang teacher cried many times and walked out on the class.
After consoling herself, she would asked for volunteers to leave the class.

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)

I have been caned umpteen times in this school for molesting,truant,gang leader..etc and take it all calmly..somehow my dad heard about it from the kampong folks and when i got back he waited for me with a long stick and i straight run for my life.:smile:

songsongjurong

Alfrescian
Loyal
What is next for those kids NS bound, BMT instructor has to politely ask :"may i request entire platoon to perform a 20 push ups?"

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Please do not take it the wrong way. SAP school system is a political creature of the PAP. It was created to buy the sino-centic votes which is significant. It came from the fall-out of the merger of Nanyang University and NUS and it was created as a peace offering. MOE has a special department to select the best teachers and the grants per student is more than twice that goes to any other school. You can see by the facilities they have and the excellent quality of teachers they have. I remember that they even engaged native English speaker as teachers to raise the standard of English not that it was bad, but to beat the top schools in the non-SAP system.

Any democracy will never allow such a separate world to exist using tax payers money. I am sure the minorities resent it and understandably so and we want them to serve NS as equals to look after a system that puts them in a disadvantage. Some minority parents initially got their kids enrolled but its already hard with the language requirement.

I am not sure if you are aware that many professionals will never admit their kids into a SAP school as a matter of principle despite knowing that they have best teachers and dedicated facilities. If you step into the elite Admin Service, SAP school students will not talk about their school years as it is frowned upon. In many ways it is no different to the unfair Bumiputra policy you see up North.

dude u are about 30 years older than me,we come from different eras,when i entered secondary school it was the 00s.whatever political stigma that schools were created with were probably long gone,schools were just schools according to their PSLE rankings,all the teachers and admins were probably PAPlised and MOEized.Most of us Y or Z gen or whatever were more highly proficient in english then we are at our mother tongues,at least for the academically inclined ones,MOE prolly had to relax all the chinese standards,because u know.... from young once u go kentang u never go back,mandarin will always be our second language.unlike ur time where most people either spoke mandarin or dialect or broken peasant singlish and only a minority was truly "english educated" i even met some taxi drivers of ur age 50s,60s who were "chinese educated" i noticed because he sounded very refined and well spoken and their mandarin was very very formal and polished,it had a much different quality from the typical sinkie peasant barbarian mandarin that u encounter on the street.he even went to university,extremely rare creature.my first school of choice was Dunman High which was ranked about 5 or 6 at that time which i missed by about 9 points.but it doesnt matter i guess,i would never trade my memories of my former alma mater for anything else in the world,rankings are just rankings.which was probably a good thing in hindsight,my sibling later got into Dunman,u dont ever want to go into a school where u just barely meet the cutoff point at 26X something.the students there are of a totally different new level and u have to work ur ass off to keep up with all those geniuses.way too much stress.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Staff1975.jpg

If any of these teachers dare to treat my son and daughter in such a manner, I would make sure they get fired.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
my english teacher was an angmo and graduated from oxford. on 1st day he read all our names aloud and acknowledged our hands going up. there was only one glitch. he did not read one name, and that belonged to a stout huge guy right in front. he noticed this chap was silent, patient and did not raise his hand. so he quipped "have i unceremoniously missed anyone? please raise your hand." this chap put up a resisted raise of the hand reluctantly. "what's your name?" "r_____t ho, sir." "oh! your name is here on the list. how can i miss such a big target?!" from that moment on, we knew english would be our best class.